Male HQ

Are Singaporeans Gracious?

feedersmiracle

I might be the odd few that feels weird awkward at the train station / bus interchange.

1. When everyone rushes in front of me to get onto the train. (I usually get onto the train as the last few people)

2. Not getting off to make space for other commuters to alight. (I do get off the train and stand aside while commuters leave before boarding again)

Can these things be taught in school? I feel so embarrassed to be a Singaporean sometimes. 

There used to be Singapore Kindness Movement back in 2012.

And the mascot Singa the Lion.

This is the letter that "Singa the lion" wrote to resign from being the mascot of the Singapore Kindness Movement, back in 2013.

singaletter2.jpg

Speaking loudly, suffers softly. Smiles so wide, cuts unseen inside.

Bitin' the bullet, but never kick the bucket.

Tbh I feel anxious about getting onto a crowded train/bus because I know for a fact that there are people who are gonna be pushing.

I hate how impatient and rude they can get. People need to calm down tbh. 

giphy.gif 

2 hours ago, feedersmiracle said:

I might be the odd few that feels weird awkward at the train station / bus interchange.

1. When everyone rushes in front of me to get onto the train. (I usually get onto the train as the last few people)

2. Not getting off to make space for other commuters to alight. (I do get off the train and stand aside while commuters leave before boarding again)

Can these things be taught in school? I feel so embarrassed to be a Singaporean sometimes. 

This is the letter that "Singa the lion" wrote to resign from being the mascot of the Singapore Kindness Movement, back in 2013.

singaletter2.jpg

How many percent of those people you see around you in public, do you think, are Singaporean?

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

39 minutes ago, fab said:

How many percent of those people you see around you in public, do you think, are Singaporean?

oh no, I forgot about that..

5 hours ago, fab said:

For sure, there are aunties in their 50s to 60s, kiasu to the ultimate.  They are fearless when it comes to rushing and grabbing (whatever that is to their advantage).

These aunties, I am very very very sure, are Singaporeans.

I feel that Singaporeans have these weak spot for free things.

It is not about being gracious or not (except for those aunties in the paragraph above), it seems it is the "peasant" blood in the people, who despite being rich enough, would do a lot of silly things to get freebies/

I have never found Singaporeans more or less gracious in public transportation.  I have experience with subways, trains, buses in many Asian cities and I don't remember any extreme discourtesy.  Of course, in crowded conditions people are less patient.

Where I notice Singaporean graciousness is in gay saunas, where the grace of cute Asian guys comes in display after they strip off all their clothes.

6 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

I have never found Singaporeans more or less gracious in public transportation.  I have experience with subways, trains, buses in many Asian cities and I don't remember any extreme discourtesy.  Of course, in crowded conditions people are less patient.

Where I notice Singaporean graciousness is in gay saunas, where the grace of cute Asian guys comes in display after they strip off all their clothes.

what’s the point of a little fun 

with someone who is cute in bed 

but when it comes to the world outside 

his character rears it’s icky head

Guest crowded

Such a dog eat dog world in overcrowded Singapore.

If you are too "gracious", you may not be able to get on the bus, get on/off the MRT. So I think it is the circumstances that force people to behave in a certain way.

Look at Chinese cities, it is much much worse over there. Survival of the fittest.

1 hour ago, feedersmiracle said:

what’s the point of a little fun 

with someone who is cute in bed 

but when it comes to the world outside 

his character rears it’s icky head

The point is that I consider more precious the little fun with someone who is cute in bed

than courtesy in the world outside.  I am a senior, but I don't need anyone's courtesy, I can push like the best :)

LIke "Guest crowded" wrote above, if Singapore becomes overcrowded you need to adjust and not be shy. 

If people rush to get in and out of the MRT, bus, you need to rush too.

This does not pose a mortal danger. It is not an existential threat.

18 hours ago, feedersmiracle said:

singaletter2.jpg

Do what you think is right.  Dont stop doing because 

1.  There is plan crashed, so i dont take it 
2.  There is divorce , so I stay single 
3.  There is natural disaster so I dont travel. 

End of the day , you are your own judge 

9 minutes ago, Guest Mary said:

Do what you think is right.  Dont stop doing because 

1.  There is plan crashed, so i dont take it 
2.  There is divorce , so I stay single 
3.  There is natural disaster so I dont travel. 

End of the day , you are your own judge 

Thanks Mary.

You should say most people staying in sg are not gracious since majority of people staying in sg now are foreigners, whether they are here on work passes, PR or even citizen. Everywhere also same, whether you are taking public transport, walking on a street, shopping mall, driving etc.

Guest blaming the wrong part
On 11/30/2019 at 6:14 PM, fab said:

Ah, now this thread turns to foreigner bashing? 

Why always need to shift the blame to foreigners? 

Seems lately all locals need to blame the foreigner for everything...

Would the Government have invented a "Singapore Anti Kiasu movement" (Singapore Kindness Movement and predecessors) in 1980 if the issue had been caused by Foreigners or if Foreigners would be the ungracious, rude or selfish persons in Singapore???

Do you really think the Government would invest into training Foreigners for having more culture, kindness and graciousness and spend the relevant money needed to do this??? 

Quote: The Singapore Kindness Movement is a non-profit organization that executes public education programs aimed at cultivating kindness and graciousness in (the)  Singaporean society. It was officially launched in 1997. The movement serves as the successor to the Singapore Courtesy Council that oversaw the National Courtesy Campaign (Singapore) from the 1980s through the 1990s.

Definition for ungraciousness: Lacking social grace or graciousness; rude, Not pleasant or acceptable; unattractive. 

In the other discussion about "overcrowding in the public transport

the numbers had been published. 

All foreigners (without tourists) make up to 2,209,000 against 3,500,000 Singaporeans (That makes 61% Singaporeans against 39% Foreigners) 

By mere maths putting blame Foreigners for ungraciousness is already unlogic. 

Please do your maths. 

You Singaporeans are getting unfair to Foreigners. Plus the claim of the foreigners not being gracious or kind is already illogical if you look at the numbers. It is actually nasty what you say.  You are only creating fake news. 

Stop this totally unjustified Foreigner blaming for your own deficiencies and attitudes. Eventually, look into the mirror first. 

I copy a calculation coming to the result of around 51000 tourists in Singapore on a daily basis. 

Working Foreigners make up to 2,2 mil. Even adding tourists would be negligible. The true Singaporeans still make up near to 2/3 of the population here. 

On 9/26/2019 at 4:18 PM, Guest tourist not overcrowding said:

Foreigners to the country are either business visitors, a few expats and mostly tourists.

I don't even think the initial statement to say "Tourists" are the reason for overcrowding in public transport.

The latest news came out with population figures just yesterday:

Citizens accounted for 3.5 million of the 5.7 million, while the rest were made up of permanent residents 0.53 million (PRs) and other residents who include foreigners who work here and international students (0.69 million Foreign workers, 252,000 maids, 285,600 dependants (spouses, kids) of PRs, EP holders, work pass holders, 184,000 EP holders, 201,000 S Pass holders,  67,200 Students).

Singapore attracted approximately 18.5 million visitors in 2018, according to Singapore Tourism Board. This number increased by 6.2 percent from 2017, which likely is due to an increase in arrivals from Asia, USA, and the United Kingdom. Top three markets included visitors from China, Indonesia, and India, due to strong travel demand and increased flight connectivity. Tourism receipts climbed 1 per cent to $27.1 billion  SGD in 2018.

On an average calculation it makes roughly 50,685 tourists in Singapore per day. That makes 0.88% of the population on a daily basis (assuming all 5.7 million people are around). Translates to less than 1% of the population.

From the numbers I can't see how tourists can be blamed for "overcrowding" at the public transport.

As there has been comments of foreigner unfriendly posts in this thread:

I would conclude working foreigners are not a major factor of "overcrowding" or contributing to overcrowding in the public transport. Maids don't travel much (unless on a Sunday), most blue collar workers are transported by their own buses, vans and not so much on the public transport. You are left with 8 % of population (Foreigners, EP Holders, S Pass Holders, Students assuming all foreigners are taking public transport on a daily basis to work or travel, which for sure is not the case).

These figures just to prevent someone intended to say the working Foreigners (exclusive of Maids and Foreign blue collar workers) are the source of overcrowding at the Public Transport.

53 minutes ago, Guest blaming the wrong part said:

Ah, now this thread turns to foreigner bashing? 

Why always need to shift the blame to foreigners? 

Seems lately all locals need to blame the foreigner for everything...

Like there are individuals who always shift blame away from themselves,  there are societies that do the same.

On 12/4/2019 at 5:23 PM, Nightingale said:

Is there any hope for that monster in the body of a girl to be rehabilitated?   Imagine being the parent of that girl :(

1 hour ago, Garyl said:

Gracious for?

The ungracious will eat you for breakfast.. 😈

A lot more is otw.. 

Thats where our education system failed...  :doh:

5 minutes ago, Kimochi said:

I still feel that even if people try to eat me I will pretend to be nice and polite.

5 minutes ago, feedersmiracle said:

I still feel that even if people try to eat me I will pretend to be nice and polite.

Here is where you can see the LJL and look for good working buddies. There's always pros to me cons to a situation. Good luck! 

1 hour ago, Kimochi said:

It is not the failure of the education system, it is the Singaporeans' way of life.  And to be more exact, it has to do with the DNA of the Chinese - to be competitive, strive hard and gain the most tangibles at all expense (read: being selfish, grabbing, heck the people around them).  This is apparent with the way Chinese behaves notwithstanding which nationality one is, whether it is the China Chinese, Sporean Chinese, Taiwan Chinese, HK Chinese, Malaysian Chinese - all Chinese shares the same 'selfish and rude' trait.  The difference is how much one cares about their image and concealed their behaviours.

Singaporeans, in the recent years (especially those who feels the heat from international (or unfair competition in their beliefs) in making their living), are increasingly discarding their image and showing their rudeness very readily.

20 minutes ago, Guest Tomato said:

It is not the failure of the education system, it is the Singaporeans' way of life.  And to be more exact, it has to do with the DNA of the Chinese - to be competitive, strive hard and gain the most tangibles at all expense (read: being selfish, grabbing, heck the people around them).  This is apparent with the way Chinese behaves notwithstanding which nationality one is, whether it is the China Chinese, Sporean Chinese, Taiwan Chinese, HK Chinese, Malaysian Chinese - all Chinese shares the same 'selfish and rude' trait.  The difference is how much one cares about their image and concealed their behaviours.

Singaporeans, in the recent years (especially those who feels the heat from international (or unfair competition in their beliefs) in making their living), are increasingly discarding their image and showing their rudeness very readily.

And thats where education comes in again doesn't it? 

17 minutes ago, Kimochi said:

And thats where education comes in again doesn't it? 

Unless you think that pretending to be gracious (through education) is the solution.

My point was, if one can change such that one does not see competition as a way of life, then he does not need to rush to grab.  He will have more time to see the need for finer things in life, hence graciousness will come.

Education in this sense is part of it, but not the entirety for the change.

5 minutes ago, Guest Tomato said:

Unless you think that pretending to be gracious (through education) is the solution.

My point was, if one can change such that one does not see competition as a way of life, then he does not need to rush to grab.  He will have more time to see the need for finer things in life, hence graciousness will come.

Education in this sense is part of it, but not the entirety for the change.

I was thinking on why did you state that about pretending to be gracious? Graciousness has to come from the heart and not artificial. 

Your point about one to see for himself is true. Each individual has to be enlightened and see his why. 

8 hours ago, Kimochi said:

aiyo, u everything jus blame e system, blame e garment

even tt tomato guest tried explaining 2 u, u still stubborn cant accept/understand

look, e kids start <monkey-see, monkey-do> at home, they learn everything from parents, all bad habits or culture

by e time they go sch or pre-sch, it is all too late - no more gracious already

den y parents like dat, from their own parents, and so on, all pass down from generations - what tomato was saying, china DNA

u dun always kpkb lo

i was biking around bishan and i need to pass to this Singaporean family that is across PCN, the wife rolled her eyes on me when he heard my accent is not local when i said excuse me please and she fiercely said to her kids to NOT give way to me. So imagine when they kids grew up.

Gracious in mrt or anywhere? not sure but when i go to public places or restaurant the one who give good service, smile at me, talk nicely are not locals (malaysian, vietnamese, indonesian etc) most of the time and the one who treat me badly mostly are locals.

Guest gracious

Maserati driver found guilty of dragging cop over 100mMaserati driver found guilty of dragging cop over 100m

Maserati driver found guilty of dragging cop over 100m Lee Cheng Yan is also facing 59 other charges related to matters such as online gambling and illegal moneylending. TNP PHOTO: WONG KWAI CHOW

A Maserati driver whose car dragged a police officer for more than 100m along Bedok Reservoir Road in 2017 was convicted yesterday of several offences, including voluntarily causing grievous hurt to the officer.

After a five-day trial, District Judge Ng Peng Hong also found the driver, Lee Cheng Yan, guilty of nine other charges, including failing to stop after the accident and obstruction of justice.

The 35-year-old Singaporean is also facing 59 other charges related to matters such as online gambling and illegal moneylending. These will be dealt with at a later date.

During the trial, the court heard that Lee, who owned the Maserati, drove the car on Nov 17, 2017, despite being disqualified due to earlier traffic offences.

Staff Sergeant Khairulanwar Abd Kahar, 26, had stopped Lee's white Maserati in Bedok Reservoir Road at about 9.20pm as he was not using his seat belt.

The police officer parked his motorcycle in front of the Maserati before dismounting. He then approached the car to speak to Lee who wound down his window.

A Maserati driver whose car dragged a police officer for more than 100m along Bedok Reservoir Road in 2017 was convicted yesterday of several offences, including voluntarily causing grievous hurt to the officer.

After a five-day trial, District Judge Ng Peng Hong also found the driver, Lee Cheng Yan, guilty of nine other charges, including failing to stop after the accident and obstruction of justice.

The 35-year-old Singaporean is also facing 59 other charges related to matters such as online gambling and illegal moneylending. These will be dealt with at a later date.

During the trial, the court heard that Lee, who owned the Maserati, drove the car on Nov 17, 2017, despite being disqualified due to earlier traffic offences.

Staff Sergeant Khairulanwar Abd Kahar, 26, had stopped Lee's white Maserati in Bedok Reservoir Road at about 9.20pm as he was not using his seat belt.

The police officer parked his motorcycle in front of the Maserati before dismounting. He then approached the car to speak to Lee who wound down his window.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Timotheus Koh had earlier said: "Instead of complying, the accused fled the scene by suddenly reversing the Maserati before accelerating quickly forward while the victim was standing next to the driver-seat door."

He added that Staff Sgt Khairulanwar's uniform got caught in the driver's side door of the Maserati.

The car, which was moving at between 79kmh and 84kmh, dragged the police officer for more than 100m before he fell onto the road. The Maserati then sped off, the court heard.

Staff Sgt Khairulanwar was taken to hospital to be treated for pain over his right knee, neck and lower back. He was later given more than 20 days of medical leave.

Lee testified during the trial that he was not the driver of the Maserati when the accident took place. He said that about two hours before the accident, he had given the car keys to a man known only as "Kelvin", whom he had known for about five months.

The court heard that neither Kelvin's surname nor address was given by Lee to the investigation officer handling the case.

Deputy Public Prosecutor Senthilkumaran Sabapathy then questioned the existence of Kelvin and told Lee: "You are obviously lying."

Lee said he was telling the truth. He will be sentenced next month.

Guest white_boy

if you are ANG MOH yes they are very gracious! and trust me you will have all the benefits from them. But if not then sorry, i guess its all about race/nationality in here when it comes for being gracious, kind or to gain their respect.

Guest gracious

You were saying, the local pretending to sleep at the reserved seats or other seats on the MRT or in buses, or the locals who are  extremely busy reading/ playing their phones or pretending not to see any other people imagining being alone in the train/ bus will stand up immediately when they spot a 68y old Ang Moh lady standing on the train and offer their seat? 

And if the locals see any Ang Moh at the entrance doors of the MRT they will not run to the few empty seats inside, once the train doors opened but wait for the Ang Moh to go first???

Sorry, you were talking of what country?

why do people like to over generalise this topic,

can't someone in singapore be different,

whose yardstick are we using to measure graciousness.

Why do we need to use Japan as the epitome of graciousness,

behind the facade of graciousness we see in Japanese public behavior , what sacrifice does an avaerage Japanese have to grit and bear in silence that we do not know of,

Japanese suicide rates are definitley higher than that of red dot.

do we start from the same starting point compared to the Japanese,

Behind the facade of Japanese graciousness what deep dark psyche lies underneath.

when will we know if we have reached the level of grace that is considered enough or sufficient ?

Does someone of high economic value are required the same social pressure to be gracious as someone from a low educated , low socio economic background who have to eke out a meal everyday?

W

Each country have a diiferenct history and starting point . so how do we level the field.

Don't over generalise the situation of grace in public sapce in Singapore

• 4 years later...
Guest Farah Sight

I've been here for 3 years and last year I became PR. Singaporean are the most accommodating people so far.

Guest Super Ungracious

Was shopping at NTUC yesterday and today.

When using Pioneer card, the cashier will request for the senior to be physically present. If not no discount. 

If the senior wants someone to shop on their behalf and still get the pioneer discount , the representative must apply for another "permit" card. And need to flash BOTH cards when paying. I am rolling my eyes. 

It is so antagonistic to customers. Want to make life difficult.  All for a paltry 3%.

Sheng Siong offers 4% and anyone can just show the card and get discount. Which is my I returned the goods to NTUC and went elsewhere.

The question:

Are Singaporeans Gracious? 

The answer: A few, actually a small minority. 

However, Singaporeans might not be very gracious but it seems they compensate the negative attitude by donating to charities. (In 20-22: 3.1 billion in 2020)

Singapore ranked 7th globally in donating...

But I would prefer Singaporeans being more gracious to others in their daily life...

How often do you still see very young locals clogging the seats at MRTs in a selfish act just to play their phones...

Is being courteous consider as gracious? My answer is Singaporeans are too courteous and overly polite. Everywhere I go, young and old all respectfully greet me as uncle. Sometimes I don’t know how to greet them back when they are older than me yet acknowledging me graciously as their uncle. Very gracious society indeed. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.