Male HQ

What simple piece of advice could potentially save people a lot of money?

Guest Quinn

Guest guest
7 hours ago, sayfirst said:

Buy a house as early as you can, when you can afford it. 

Depend what house you buy, not all houses can profit after buying. Best is not to buy any house at all, the money you accumulate in your cpf would be huge by the time you are 55.

Some generic advises I learnt fr thrifty ppl that I know...it's important that u do not compromise quality of life or shortchange your friends even if u want to shrimp and save ...Hope it helps:)

1. Create a budget and stick to it to avoid overspending.
2. Use coupons and look for sales to save money on groceries and other essentials.
3. Cook at home instead of eating out to save on food costs.
4. Cancel subscription services or memberships that you don't use frequently.
5. Set up automatic transfers to a savings account to save a portion of your income each month.
6. Look for free or low-cost entertainment options, such as visiting parks or attending community events.
7. Shop around for the best deals on big-ticket items like electronics or appliances.
8. Use public transportation or carpool to save on gas and reduce wear and tear on your vehicle.
9. Avoid impulse purchases by waiting 24 hours before making a non-essential purchase.
10. Negotiate with service providers for better rates on things like cable, internet, and insurance.

Edited by Samuel Lim

𝓜𝓪𝓷𝔂 𝓼𝓮𝓮𝓴 𝓰𝓸𝓸𝓭 𝓷𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽𝓼 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓵𝓸𝓼𝓮 𝓰𝓸𝓸𝓭 𝓭𝓪𝔂𝓼.

6 hours ago, Samuel Lim said:

Some generic advises I learnt fr thrifty ppl that I know...it's important that u do not compromise quality of life or shortchange your friends even if u want to shrimp and save ...Hope it helps:)

1. Create a budget and stick to it to avoid overspending.
2. Use coupons and look for sales to save money on groceries and other essentials.
3. Cook at home instead of eating out to save on food costs.
4. Cancel subscription services or memberships that you don't use frequently.
5. Set up automatic transfers to a savings account to save a portion of your income each month.
6. Look for free or low-cost entertainment options, such as visiting parks or attending community events.
7. Shop around for the best deals on big-ticket items like electronics or appliances.
8. Use public transportation or carpool to save on gas and reduce wear and tear on your vehicle.
9. Avoid impulse purchases by waiting 24 hours before making a non-essential purchase.
10. Negotiate with service providers for better rates on things like cable, internet, and insurance.

Above all, be aware of being caught up in a materialistic lifestyle

18 minutes ago, auscent said:

Actually ok lar if able to afford.

𝓜𝓪𝓷𝔂 𝓼𝓮𝓮𝓴 𝓰𝓸𝓸𝓭 𝓷𝓲𝓰𝓱𝓽𝓼 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓵𝓸𝓼𝓮 𝓰𝓸𝓸𝓭 𝓭𝓪𝔂𝓼.

• 1 month later...
Guest Guest
7 hours ago, Yeryk said:

Avoid investing schemes by banks.

Sorry, I cannot agree with this advise.

Be careful selecting investing schemes by banks? Yes. 

Avoid investing schemes by banks? No. 

Guest Peeping Tom
On 5/3/2020 at 12:12 PM, Guest Guest said:

No amount of savings will ever sway me from that pleasure....

Don't pretend that you are not one of those cars parked at night on Mount Faber, and you won't be by yourself as your vehicle trembles vigorously in the moonlight.

Guest Nutritional
On 12/30/2023 at 12:15 PM, Guest Cheap comparison said:

Sauna is cheaper than spending food at Mcdonald or KFC or Burger King.

Sure, you get free flow of rich protein.

On 1/5/2024 at 6:37 AM, auscent said:

On 1/5/2024 at 6:57 AM, Samuel Lim said:

Actually ok lar if able to afford.

An ideal situation is to be able to afford... while being frugal.  Being frugal can be so satisfying that it can become an addiction. 😀

Guest Nauseous

Yesterday went to neighbourhood kopi shop to buy a plate of dried wanton noodle, usually came with a small bowl of soup.    This time, the price went up by 50cts and yet no more soup.  I requested for the soupl but the seller told me to pay extra 30cts if I wanted soup.   I don't think I understand Singapore anymore. 

On 2/24/2024 at 7:02 PM, Guest Nauseous said:

Yesterday went to neighbourhood kopi shop to buy a plate of dried wanton noodle, usually came with a small bowl of soup.    This time, the price went up by 50cts and yet no more soup.  I requested for the soupl but the seller told me to pay extra 30cts if I wanted soup.   I don't think I understand Singapore anymore. 

I suppose the advice on saving money would be to avoid that wantan mee stall in the future.

On 2/24/2024 at 7:02 PM, Guest Nauseous said:

I’ll choose to cook myself instead…

Guest Guest
2 minutes ago, imm said:

I’ll choose to cook myself instead…

Cook also not say very cheap now, esp when you buy the food ingredients from supermarket, the price also increased. The only thing good about cooking yourself is healthier than eating outside.

• 3 months later...
Guest Guest

Stay in your own HDB (BTO or resale) and save on rental.

35 is your actionable number. No delay, no excuses.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.