Male HQ

Jewelry

superflawless

Gay men, do you routinely buy jewelry? Costume or higher end ones made of precious metals?

I have been actuvely buying since the beginning of 2019.

Best decision I ever made, since gold prices were low during that time and recently peaked.

Let me know if you are a jewellery collector. Rolex and higher end watches counted too. 

I also started looking into buying jewelry the past 2 years. Mostly its because I've reached a point where I don't need more clothes, shoes etc. and so jewelry became a new thing for me. 

I don't have many pieces, but I buy based on the designs, so it has been a mix of costume and high jewelry. The only thing i wear regularly is a bracelet. 

Love. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I think the only jewelry's I have would be my watches. I dont fancy wearing ear ring or finger rings. Mens Jewelries are kinda limited. So I figured I spend on watches instead. The price is always appreciating and I can offset them anytime without taking a hit. (or a profit at times) 

White Gold when I want to go under the radar and Yellow Gold when I want to go all out flashy.

I have express interest on a platinum rolex at the store, so hopefully it will arrive by Q1 2021.

32811510.jpg

Edited by NE-STR

i love rings either in platinum or white gold. I am not in favour of pink or yellow gold. I have  the iconic limited edition of the Cartier trinity ring which i bought to welcome year 2000 and also the Bvlgari B.zero1 which i bought locally in white gold on 01.01.2001 :). For formal events i prefer a very masculine either a diamond 1.07 Carat solitaire or onxy or 2.5C carat violet- blue sapphire ring.

Well i treat a watch as  a piece of jewelry  too either in stainless steel , platinum or white gold.

I use one of my hardy Rolexes for either normal daily wear and for outdoors but for formal or any evening functions i prefer either my IWC , Patek or Classico series of Ulysee Nardin which are very elegant yet understated. I am an avid watch collector past twenty years and fortunate to have some very rare pieces like the world first annual calender which make its story debut in Basel 1996 if i am not wrong of the date. 

I dislike bangles and i have none in my keeping.

Edited by heman

I have never been a collector although I do occasionally like some items of jewellery. For a couple of decades I wore a gold chain I had bought at Raffles City in Singapore. About 6 years ago I gave it to my bf. I also have a Chopard watch which was given to me by a client almost 25 years ago! After a couple of years I started wearing it only occasionally and stupidly stored it in a small cabinet in my bedroom. What I did not realise is that with the high humidity in both Hong Kong and Bangkok, parts of it would slowly rust. A couple of years ago i had to spend around US$1,100 having several parts replaced including the hands and the face.

The one watch I have lusted after for decades is a Patek Philippe classic model, one with a simple face and a small second hand under the centre and dimpled gold around the exterior. After I left one job 3 decades ago, I thought I might get one as a gift to myself. The price then was around US$6,000. That was too much. But I knew very well the owner of the company which had the dealership. He told me they did not normally give discounts but he would talk with his manager. He called me back to say that they had none in stock but a shipment was on its way. One would be held for me for a special price of $3,000. No discounts??

Although that would still have been a financial stretch at that time, I was tempted - but then walked away. Ever since I have wished I'd bought it.

Edited by InBangkok

6 hours ago, InBangkok said:

Patek Philippe classic model

I think the PP watch you talking about is the Ref 3919. It was a real classic piece which i acquired back in 1989 in white gold. It was known also as the banker's watch. Its size of 34 mm is perfect for formal wear. It is extremely understated and i bought it for just only $7700 then. It was the first PP to be used in its worldwide advertisement and was produced if i am not wrong back in 1986. Its production stopped in very early 2000s though PP now produce the same style  watch but in slightly bigger diameter and enamel face. The Calatrava which is known , is perhaps the most classic of PP series. 

Edited by heman

Patek is extremely particular about its price and is unwilling to give any discount for any of its pieces. One regret i had in  my life was not to get the Nautilus when it was first introduced in 1979. I was offered by my authorised dealer but i was extremely hesitant then. It only worth $7400. I did not purchase it because it was unusual for Patek to produce the series in stainless steel and its look by Gerald Genta was used by AP Royal Oak and IWC Engineer series. Currently a simple Nautilus in secondary market worth over $40K !

Edited by heman

On 12/31/2020 at 6:15 PM, heman said:

Patek is extremely particular about its price and is unwilling to give any discount for any of its pieces. One regret i had in  my life was not to get the Nautilus when it was first introduced in 1979. I was offered by my authorised dealer but i was extremely hesitant then. It only worth $7400. I did not purchase it because it was unusual for Patek to produce the series in stainless steel and its look by Gerald Genta was used by AP Royal Oak and IWC Engineer series. Currently a simple Nautilus in secondary market worth over $40K !

Whoa, you would have been an early adopter! less than 10K would be a steal...! Correct, purchased a Nautilus in 2010, it was 30+K.

On 5/27/2020 at 1:38 PM, superflawless said:

Gay men, do you routinely buy jewelry? Costume or higher end ones made of precious metals?

I have been actuvely buying since the beginning of 2019.

Best decision I ever made, since gold prices were low during that time and recently peaked.

Let me know if you are a jewellery collector. Rolex and higher end watches counted too. 

Transitioned away from timepieces, and into precious stones as I was working in India. 

Became a side gig, to buy and sell. Not only are they objects of immense and simple beauty,

they get more expensive over time, as the mining of real natural gems (not made in labs) is increasingly being monitored.

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

Is tanzanite worth buying?

9 hours ago, tomcat said:

Transitioned away from timepieces, and into precious stones as I was working in India. 

Became a side gig, to buy and sell. Not only are they objects of immense and simple beauty,

they get more expensive over time, as the mining of real natural gems (not made in labs) is increasingly being monitored.

Edited by yuquidam

Tanzanites scratches fairly easily.  It is better to get a blue sapphire than it. Sapphires too come in various colours though the silky blue from the Kashmiri mines are much sought after. It is so unlike the other beryls like sapphire and ruby. Tanzanite was used three decades ago in abundant by Tiffany. It was a rage then and was very fashionable.

By the way careful of heat treated or colour injected pieces. 

Edited by heman

Most sapphires are from Sri Lanka and good rubies from Burma. Emeralds, which is very fragile is best from Columbia. Its irridescent green , most w impurities , are worth collecting but needs to be careful when cleaning. They change colour and may fragmentate if clean using the ultrasound device , so unlike the beryls and diamonds.

16 hours ago, tomcat said:

purchased a Nautilus in 2010, it was 30+K.

Congratulation to you . So you managed to acquire that piece. The waiting period is now long approximately 7 to 8 years to  for  a new one. That drives up the secondary market value of the piece. I am not into PP sports watches. I prefer the more understated PP dress watches instead. Currently i am venturing into Kari Voutilainen beautiful pieces. I do need to save now and hopefully to get one in my collection. 

Edited by heman

On 1/2/2021 at 12:20 PM, heman said:

Congratulation to you . So you managed to acquire that piece. The waiting period is now long approximately 7 to 8 years to  for  a new one. That drives up the secondary market value of the piece. I am not into PP sports watches. I prefer the more understated PP dress watches instead. Currently i am venturing into Kari Voutilainen beautiful pieces. I do need to save now and hopefully to get one in my collection. 

Agreed. and funny as it sounds, i like the Naut because it does not look loud and ostentatious. mid 2000s to 2010s, around the time i was into timepieces, the rage was big faces, embellishments, diving style, aviation style. it was a bit too much for me, even though it was the trend. for straps, i never buy silicone or rubber. and for material choices, never trendy ones like rose gold or even standard gold. 

i just like the quiet perfection and dignity of a classic. hard to explain, but it is most elegant and beautiful when it is stripped down to the bare bones. also the same reason why i like precious stones and gems. outside of the cuts and finishing, it is the choice of stone and its clarity/inclusions. 

for both, the beauty is  actualised when it is stripped away and removed, not by adding.

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

Indeed the PP Nautilus has one of the best metal bracelet. I tried it twice before and the other metal bracelet that is as good is the oyster bracelet of Rolex. I am into watches with complication especially those with moon phases. I love the mysteries behind them and  i managed to secure one of iwc Portofino extremely accurate moon phase mechanism. It is a large piece of 45 cm but on the wrist it doesnt look huge and is extremely elegant. It looks like a piece of art.

Edited by heman

On 1/6/2021 at 3:37 PM, heman said:

I am very fearful of emeralds without any inclusions. A good majority f them above 2C have at least some inclusions. So be wary of super clean emeralds.

topazes too. so a lot of them are lab made, but there are still good ones in circulation. i only get those approved by GIA.

i was about to attend their course in HK and LA, but then pandemic struck. so luckily, i did not enroll yet!

On 1/6/2021 at 3:34 PM, heman said:

I am into watches with complication especially those with moon phases. I love the mysteries behind them and  i managed to secure one of iwc Portofino extremely accurate moon phase mechanism. It is a large piece of 45 cm but on the wrist it doesnt look huge and is extremely elegant. It looks like a piece of art.

ooh i do have a guilty pleasure in Van Cleef & Arpels! there are more of a legacy jewellers than watchmaking brand, but a perfect intersection between ornamentation and function.  usually i like minimalist and classic, but I saw Midnight Planetarium and fell in love. Obviously not for myself, but i am watching this (pun unintended) for my mom! we attended a session about MP (creation, construction etc) when it was released, her eyes opened brightly like the stars!

Edited by tomcat

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

4 hours ago, tomcat said:

Van Cleef & Arpels

Indeed at times these fine jewelers cross the  fine line between watch making  and jewllery producers . Bvlgari too is one of them apart from Cartier. I am yet to see the MP in person. That's reminded me of my favourite brand Ulysee Nardin's  Planetrarium Corperncus (part of trilogy which saved the company from extinction). These are very high end mechanical watches and i truly salute the watch maker complex mathematical formulation to produce such comple pieces.

I love Cartier watches though many watch connoisseur frowned at them. I have the iconic fully mechanical manual XL Solo. A lovely understated piece and is extremely affordable for about 6K only. 

I have a yellow gold  necklace which i bought for my mum from Bvlgari about a decade  ago  with yellow, blue , green , violet and pink topazes about 1.5C each set in the front part of the necklace. Topaz is a secondary gemstone. Well careful with citrine which can be confused with yellow topaz. 

Nice to know about your good knowledge on gemstones. Bravo.

Edited by heman

One watch from VCA which might interest your mum will be the Allambra watch set  in yellow gold with mother of pearl dial. It is tastefully adorned with 0.1C white diamond at the four hous indices.  It is an extremely beautiful and fairly inexpensive piece of only 8K . It is elegant and can be matched with the ring which is about 3K and the long necklace also in mother of pearl but no diamond at all for 12K. 

Edited by heman

On 1/7/2021 at 9:55 PM, heman said:

Indeed at times these fine jewelers cross the  fine line between watch making  and jewllery producers . Bvlgari too is one of them apart from Cartier. I am yet to see the MP in person. That's reminded me of my favourite brand Ulysee Nardin's  Planetrarium Corperncus (part of trilogy which saved the company from extinction). These are very high end mechanical watches and i truly salute the watch maker complex mathematical formulation to produce such comple pieces.

I love Cartier watches though many watch connoisseur frowned at them. I have the iconic fully mechanical manual XL Solo. A lovely understated piece and is extremely affordable for about 6K only. 

I have a yellow gold  necklace which i bought for my mum from Bvlgari about a decade  ago  with yellow, blue , green , violet and pink topazes about 1.5C each set in the front part of the necklace. Topaz is a secondary gemstone. Well careful with citrine which can be confused with yellow topaz. 

Nice to know about your good knowledge on gemstones. Bravo.

I am amazing on your watch collection, do you have any pictures to show? Kinda curious. 😃

On 1/7/2021 at 9:58 PM, heman said:

One watch from VCA which might interest your mum will be the Allambra watch set  in yellow gold with mother of pearl dial. It is tastefully adorned with 0.1C white diamond at the four hous indices.  It is an extremely beautiful and fairly inexpensive piece of only 8K . It is elegant and can be matched with the ring which is about 3K and the long necklace also in mother of pearl but no diamond at all for 12K. 

yeah, we did look at the Alhambra series. but her tastes and mine are similar in that we like simple shapes, not too ornamental and also not gold. she does have a vintage Alhambra piece, i think it was a pendant or brooch, which featured the original four-leaf clover before it was simplified. as much as she likes it, she says a bit too obiang now also, hahah!

🌑🌒🌓🌔🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑

• 4 months later...

Not much men jewelry in Singapore. I do have someone give me pandora bracelet. 

Years back 77th street...topman...zara...h&m...

And u can get overseas too. 

Doesn't matter what sexual orientation u r...any accessories doesn't make any difference or less then a man or etc....just make it simple. 

Thailand or Malaysia have so many choose from hopefully by mid  December 2021 can travel.  

3 hours ago, lookseelooksee said:

esirability is Afghanistan, Colombia, Zambia.

Well it is according to individual taste or preference.  Columbian emerald are very vivid cleaner green and has a long and reputable history. One of the most intense piece i ever handled was a three carat stone set with paved diamond in a ring from Tiffany and it was only $48K then in 1996. Almost of no inclusions and the green is what the term saturated emerald green. Larry Jewellery had a one only specially made necklace in yellow gold with four pieces of about two to three carats each with paved diamonds back in 1988. These are from Columbia and the colours are extremely astonishing green and it was a a hefty but very reasonable priced item. I love emerald more than diamonds past few decades. 

Edited by heman

Indeed one need to be very careful in shopping such semiprecious and precious gems. It is wise to pay more than be tricked in buying low quality stones that are heat treated or even dyed like black opals. Go for very reputable dealers for reassurance. Just my plain two  cents of advice.

3 hours ago, lookseelooksee said:

Buy from reputable sellers

2 hours ago, lookseelooksee said:

purple sapphire that looks like amethy

Well sapphire comes in different colours though the pink and of course the blue (i had a beautiful blue carbochon (no star effect) of two and half carat frrom Cartier back in year 2005)  which is my favourite piece in platinum. Amethyst used be a treasure centuries ago but since it was found in abundant its value dropped! Of the tourmalines i had the rubylite and idicolite , coupled with citrine and of course amethyst in a necklace  from the Parantheis line from Bulgari which i bought for my sister wedding gift back in the 1990s.,At times i pay attention to the design rather than the semipreecious stone itself. That is unique about Bvlgari. They are not afraid to combine even purple, yellow, pink and blue sapphire to produce an extraordinary piece of jewellery which is a haute jewellery by itself.

I dont mind even a cheap blue topaz if the design  is good. For me, like my watches and paintings, i never think them as investment but i purchase them for my own enjoyment. I never advise a collector of gemstone to look at it as an investment for one will be very dismay in the long run. 

Best is to enjoy the beauty of the stone itself.  Be happy with what one acquire for the joy of admiring it surpasses its value. 

green tourmaline.

Indeed if from the loupe it shows birefringent. That's one of the way to separate them if i am noy wrong. Btw i am NOT a gem expert. I only collect them for my family perusal only. I am very careful of the dealers when purchasing and i dont buy from impulse. I may visit the dealer few times for the same piece ,examining them carefully, put a small deposit and after the period of two weeks i then decide the purchase. I am glad the four dealers which my family are used to are very patient with my style.  Thank you.

P.S. I am glad that at least i found someone in BW who is passionate about gem ( need not be high value like Alexandrite but the semiprecious ones like turquoises. 

tsavorite

Tiffany used quite a bit of this green stone (at times can look like peridot when it is a little watery in apperance. It is not popular locally unlike in USA if i am not wrong. Few guys knows of Tsavorite ( similarly v few know Alexandrite which i saw only once in a private exhibition by Larry Jewellery back in 1998)

6 hours ago, lookseelooksee said:

google Afghan emerald.

Thanks for this new information.  I read through the websites about this new source of emeralds. The lastest analysis printed March 2021 by the reputable SSEF showed that it closely matches those of Columbians. SSEF started analysis of this Afghan gem in 2017 through a series of spectrometric readings and analysis. The Afghan seems to have a slightly higher iron content though it is much lower than the African series. Interestingly its inclusions are spiky and tubular as compared to others. Perhaps this is a great differentiating factor to know. 

Hopefully more of Afghan emeralds soon entering the market though the Columbian ones are well known and who knows the price may be more affordable too. Anyway i been stopping collecting gemstones for ore than a decade to divert my interests elsewhere.

Thanks again for highlighting this new source of this gem.

• 1 year later...

Greetings from the other side of the counter, lol! Being in this industry since my late teens, and so I rountinely sell all this rather than collect 😆 (my main job is in bespoke & customization services aspect). Right now witnessing a lot of fuss in the market over 'exclusive' gems like Paraiba Tourmaline and Mahenge Spinels.

My main driver nowadays is maximum liquidity and fungibility so I usually consolidate extra cash into gold bullion. I wear 'surprisingly' little jewellery for a designer, as one of my clients said, "you are like a chef who dun eat his own cooking" which made me LOL cos that is EXACTLY the story of my 'husband' who can cook gourmet but tends to indulge more in junk food 🤣

Here is my personal "attire":

- Blue Jade (Jadeite) ear cuff which I ask my friend to help me custom-cut the hoop shape after I imported the raw boulder, and I do the setting in Platinum. The "Blue" is actually more to the seawater colour - a blend of blues and dark greens that sets off my skintone well. This functions as my 'identity piece', and is very difficult to remove (cos it is meant as a conch piercing, and it goes through the ear cartilege).

- Ear stud with a colour-change sapphire in Platinum. This is part of a matching pair and my husband wears the other side. This one is considered rare cos the colour-change matches EXACTLY for both stones (the 'sifu' who trained me explained that this can only mean the two sapphires were originally a single stone that got split in half). The flourescent colour is sea-green (representing myself), and the incandescent colour is purple (representing my hubby). This is in lieu of couple rings cos I cannot wear rings on my fingers.

- Down all the way to my feet are a pair of anklets in Argentium Silver. We are a bit supertitious and believe blessings enter a human through their head, but black magic enters via the feet. These anklets function as 'curse blockers' since they are made of silver. I will wear these even with socks and shoes - in such case I use them as 'garters' to hold the socks up.

... I keep my neckline free for necklaces that I wear for 'advertising' purposes, either from my fledging personal brand or whichever company I also happen to be working for at the time 🙃

Edited by goldenveins
Typos

On 11/17/2022 at 8:54 AM, goldenveins said:

Greetings from the other side of the counter, lol! Being in this industry since my late teens, and so I rountinely sell all this rather than collect 😆 (my main job is in bespoke & customization services aspect). Right now witnessing a lot of fuss in the market over 'exclusive' gems like Paraiba Tourmaline and Mahenge Spinels.

My main driver nowadays is maximum liquidity and fungibility so I usually consolidate extra cash into gold bullion. I wear 'surprisingly' little jewellery for a designer, as one of my clients said, "you are like a chef who dun eat his own cooking" which made me LOL cos that is EXACTLY the story of my 'husband' who can cook gourmet but tends to indulge more in junk food 🤣

Here is my personal "attire":

- Blue Jade (Jadeite) ear cuff which I ask my friend to help me custom-cut the hoop shape after I imported the raw boulder, and I do the setting in Platinum. The "Blue" is actually more to the seawater colour - a blend of blues and dark greens that sets off my skintone well. This functions as my 'identity piece', and is very difficult to remove (cos it is meant as a conch piercing, and it goes through the ear cartilege).

- Ear stud with a colour-change sapphire in Platinum. This is part of a matching pair and my husband wears the other side. This one is considered rare cos the colour-change matches EXACTLY for both stones (the 'sifu' who trained me explained that this can only mean the two sapphires were originally a single stone that got split in half). The flourescent colour is sea-green (representing myself), and the incandescent colour is purple (representing my hubby). This is in lieu of couple rings cos I cannot wear rings on my fingers.

- Down all the way to my feet are a pair of anklets in Argentium Silver. We are a bit supertitious and believe blessings enter a human through their head, but black magic enters via the feet. These anklets function as 'curse blockers' since they are made of silver. I will wear these even with socks and shoes - in such case I use them as 'garters' to hold the socks up.

... I keep my neckline free for necklaces that I wear for 'advertising' purposes, either from my fledging personal brand or whichever company I also happen to be working for at the time 🙃

How did you get into the industry way back in your teens?

I have often heard that fashion designers often tend to wear basic black clothes, cause they think about fashion 24/7, all day long. They no longer want to think about what to wear on themselves when they are out and about. So I guess this might also be true for jewellery designers. 

On 12/31/2020 at 11:50 AM, InBangkok said:

I have never been a collector although I do occasionally like some items of jewellery. For a couple of decades I wore a gold chain I had bought at Raffles City in Singapore. About 6 years ago I gave it to my bf. I also have a Chopard watch which was given to me by a client almost 25 years ago! After a couple of years I started wearing it only occasionally and stupidly stored it in a small cabinet in my bedroom. What I did not realise is that with the high humidity in both Hong Kong and Bangkok, parts of it would slowly rust. A couple of years ago i had to spend around US$1,100 having several parts replaced including the hands and the face.

The one watch I have lusted after for decades is a Patek Philippe classic model, one with a simple face and a small second hand under the centre and dimpled gold around the exterior. After I left one job 3 decades ago, I thought I might get one as a gift to myself. The price then was around US$6,000. That was too much. But I knew very well the owner of the company which had the dealership. He told me they did not normally give discounts but he would talk with his manager. He called me back to say that they had none in stock but a shipment was on its way. One would be held for me for a special price of $3,000. No discounts??

Although that would still have been a financial stretch at that time, I was tempted - but then walked away. Ever since I have wished I'd bought it.

Oh you definitely should have bought it. USD$3000 is a great price....

40 minutes ago, superflawless said:

How did you get into the industry way back in your teens?

I have often heard that fashion designers often tend to wear basic black clothes, cause they think about fashion 24/7, all day long. They no longer want to think about what to wear on themselves when they are out and about. So I guess this might also be true for jewellery designers. 

I trained in gold & silversmithing in Art College when i went in at 17ish 😄 Graduated with diploma in 2007, did some retail for a few years to know the market then went back to get a BA, then ended up in the HQ office of a local retail chain where i worked as a part of the in-house team before stepping out to do bespoke work for the clients of smaller private jewellers - where I pretty much am till today 😋

57 minutes ago, superflawless said:

I just find the entire industry so fascinating. 

Precious metals and gemstones.

Sparking, glittering and breathtaking designs.

Technological advancements like 3D printing helps to bring intricate designs to life. 

Yes it's quite fun in that respect - especially that delicate balance between time-tested artisan techniques (some of which are thousands of years old) and sparkling new technologies , to me!

This difference also made visually manifest in the way i present concepts - exact same design, but whether I show it as a 3D model on a computer or make a traditional hand-painting on paper affects how the client anticipates the product 😄

• 2 weeks later...