Male HQ

Singapore Swimming Complex/Pool

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It’s getting tougher to find a pool to swim especially on weekend than during Covid19 restriction period. 
Several swimming complexes at the east are forced to close one of its pool due to lack of lifeguards on duty. Accessibility to big pool can be challenging with such measure. 
Sigh. 
Nevertheless, I managed to swim on Saturday and today. 
No complaint. I’m a happy person this weekend. 🤭

Tuesday is a lousy day for swim if you live in the east. 3 public pools are closed for maintenances on Tuesday.

Thus, I made my virginal trip to the Bedok pool at the Heartbeat @ Bedok.

Reached the pool just before 2pm. The big pool was relatively empty. I got my lane and started my swim.

Barely 5min into my swim, kids started to come in and started to take up both sides of the pool.

More kids started to come in at about 2:20pm and a few started to swim all over the place. Damn. 🤬

I left the big pool at about 2:30pm 'cos I could no longer remain there without screaming at a kid while his mother was watching with her jaw almost dropped to the floor. I went to the sheltered training pool instead. Geez....the water there was chilly!🥶🥶

Somehow, I felt that the training pool length is more than 50m? 

Anyway, I wish they would have turn on the lights. It's a little dim there.

I came out the pool at almost 3pm. People were slowly streaming in. The big pool were already full w kids. Learning pool started to fill up w kids and adults too.

What I like about this pool:

- The shower cube has strong water supply.

- Lightings in the changing room is bright.

What I dislike about this pool:

- Still damn crowded w kids! 

- The floor to the changing room (at least when I was there) was very wet especially at the entrance. I almost slipped and fell. Heng ah! 🤢

Hunk factor: Only saw one hunky young chap (in his 20s) in grey swimming trunks swimming breaststroke at the big pool. He is hot! 

Cruisiness factor: None detected. Perhaps, I was lucky.

On 12/30/2022 at 4:54 PM, cutecutebob said:

Who frequent yck? Been there a couple of times bt dun seem cruisy anymore, other than the usual weird uncles

Going to YCK lunchtime/early afternoon, or late afternoon, I would say success rate maybe just over 50%.

If not picky at all, I think it would be close to 100%.

Luck.

Geylang East swimming pool

8 Jan.

It was a hot Sunday afternoon. In the big pool, kids were having swimming lesson at one side, while the rest of the lanes were occupied by the public.

At about 12:45pm, at one end of the pool where the kids were swimming, the flock of crows were flying above the pool, making a lot of noise. Some myna birds were also seen circulating around the pool. 

I stopped to look what happen and I saw a bird (it could be a crow) was in the water. Apparently, it was drowning and the rest of the birds above were calling for attention. I did not pay too much attention to it and continue my laps. 1-2 minutes later, the commotion from the birds was gone. I did not see the "drowning" bird in the water either. I said to myself, probably the bird managed to escape from the water.

Barely 5mins later, the lifeguards alerted all the swimmers in the big pool to evacuate the pool. Someone near the drowning bird vicinity has spotted a dead bird. 🤢

According to the pool protocol, the pool will have to be closed, cleaning must take place, and the water needs to be tested before public can use the pool again.

Luckily for me, I have just finished my laps.

23 hours ago, bluerunner said:

Geylang East swimming pool

8 Jan.

…Barely 5mins later, the lifeguards alerted all the swimmers in the big pool to evacuate the pool. Someone near the drowning bird vicinity has spotted a dead bird. 🤢

According to the pool protocol, the pool will have to be closed, cleaning must take place, and the water needs to be tested before public can use the pool again.

Oh didn’t know there is such a protocol. Me bad. Many years ago while in a morning swim I also spotted a dead chick at the bottom of the pool. Was the only one swimming that lane with maybe 2-3 in the further lanes. After I was done, from the locker, emptied out a plastic bag from my belongings and went back to fish out the partial bloated carcass and dump it in the bin. Think back than my concern was that it probably take the lifeguards more effort as they have to change, get a net etc. Since I was already wet and in my trunks, thought just made the whole process simpler, didn’t cross my mind about the contamination and hygiene safety. 

On 12/30/2022 at 4:54 PM, cutecutebob said:

Who frequent yck? Been there a couple of times bt dun seem cruisy anymore, other than the usual weird uncles

Its golden era has passed. It used to be THE POOL to go to. 90% success rate in meeting one of your type. 100% if you are into any type. Many things took place even when there was weekend crowd.

Was cruisy just now with a number of regulars but no action at all. All not each other's type I guess.

1 hour ago, MikeC said:

Sighh I think they may as well close down Kallang Pool.  Last time they said main pool only open after 3 pm due to lack of lifeguards.  

Now main pool totally closed.  Other pool so shallow and short (cos have to swim breadth) that almost nobody goes there to swim… If really so bad, better to just concentrate resources on other pools.

Ya lo

Nowadays I going to katong to swim if time permits. 

4 hours ago, MikeC said:

Sighh I think they may as well close down Kallang Pool.  Last time they said main pool only open after 3 pm due to lack of lifeguards.  

Now main pool totally closed.  Other pool so shallow and short (cos have to swim breadth) that almost nobody goes there to swim… If really so bad, better to just concentrate resources on other pools.

Really dunno what they are thinking. 
They should open the big pool when there are high demand for the big pool like morning,  lunch hour and after work. 
When there are swimming lesson, can open the teaching pool. W the swim instructor, prolly can settle w just one lifeguard?

On 1/13/2023 at 3:49 PM, MikeC said:

You mean now the main pool is closed till 3pm even on weekdays? The last I recall for weekends is it is closed from 12 to 7pm 😕

Edited by JYAG-sim
On 1/17/2023 at 6:16 PM, begleitung said:

Looks like the main pool is not operational now, from the sound of it. 

maybe because the redhill pool will be open soon? Lol

I went to a nearby H.D.B. & viewed>

Construction for kids & adult pool is completed. Now they are running tests like eg. Water Quality.

I think 6 months from now it mite open...

Pool: Jalan Besar pool

Not been to this pool for just over 1 month and I am shocked at the what I saw in the changing room and in the big pool today.

The men's changing room is filthy. Used mask on the bench, visible black dirt on the floor. 🤢. Glad that I have my slippers on.

In the big pool, it's even more shocking. Saw big brown (no...it's black tree leaf) at the bottom of both end the pool. As if that's not bad enough, I saw a big wrapper, apparently from biscuit, at the bottom of the pool. 🤔. Could the leaves and biscuit wrapper got blown into the water by strong wind? Even so, it could have been cleaned up when the machine is cleaning up the pool. The bed of the pool looks like a new dumping ground. 🙄

On 1/21/2023 at 10:30 AM, 30yochinese said:

*& viewed from the 20th floor a birds-eye-view of the Pool at Redhill

Looking forward to the reopening of Delta pool. It's been delayed for quite long. Used to have many suntanners there I recall. Hope it opens soon! Thanks for the update.