Male HQ

For the Lovers of the Piano and other Instruments Classical Music

Steve5380

On 6/17/2024 at 2:05 AM, mike_amk said:

You know guys, while it is really nice to share our fav music, I was just wondering... if some of us who have a good Hi-Fi system at home, perhaps hosting a small afternoon gathering to listen and share our music over tea will be a lovely way to make new friends here.

Cheers 🥂 Mike 

Good idea, Mike.  To share the experience of good music is an excellent reason for a friendly gathering of music lovers, which can include the social interaction over some good tea, other drinks, other food.

May I suggest that besides some decent sound the host could also provide a nice big screen, a good DVD or Blu-Ray player plus a good collection of recordings of live concerts,  or a subscription to YouTube prime to select among hundreds of excellent videos, without interruptions by commercials.  Then one can feel like being present in the concert hall, with the advantage of having a first class view of the musicians.

I can offer such hosting, but...   but I live thousands of miles away from Singapore, in the busy city of Houston.  So,... all I can provide are some good videos from YouTube.    We can share some friendship at this forum :) 

On 7/3/2024 at 9:55 AM, StockBottom said:

Yummy Ray Chen 😍

Love his eye brows playing

Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto is lovely,  no matter who is playing.   I also studied this composition when I was a teenager, but played it only with piano accompaniment.   ( I was no concert violinist, ha ha )

I also studied the Caprice No. 24 of Paganini,  damn hard!   I only like to hear Paganini on the violin,  it seems too complex for flute,  and I dislike Rachmaninov's " Rhapsody on a theme of Paganini".   An exception is Paganini's Campanella arranged for piano.  Here is a good performance by Yundi Li:

On 7/4/2024 at 7:47 PM, JusteMoi said:

This Nocturne Op. 9 No. 2 by Chopin is precious!  

It must be quite difficult to play on the guitar!  There is a much, much easier way to play it:  with the original piano composition by Chopin.  This preserves the lyricism and also chromaticism of the original music of Chopin.  Here is a good interpretation:

On 7/9/2024 at 12:28 PM, GKS said:

The wilderness is so beautiful.  But... why cannot he play the piano comfortably at home?  And to play standing up is not optimum either.  There are elevated desks to use the computer while standing,  but this has not caught up with piano playing.  Pianos are a little too heavy to lift them up.

On 7/3/2024 at 9:55 AM, StockBottom said:

Yummy Ray Chen 😍

Love his eye brows playing

I commented before on this violin concerto.  And today I heard a performance that was also good:

I realized that the violinist here, Brett Yang,  is one of the duo of violinists "twoset"  that clown in musical videos on YouTube.   I didn't think that he could play this concerto as a soloist.  But he does it quite well.  This is his usual trade:

And here is some teacher of violin who is paying back Brett for all his clowning, ha ha:

I don't trust this violin teacher, he appears to be a little cocky,  yuck.   But here is another critic, more qualified.

I prefer the critic by professional violinist Ray Chen,  the performer in the video posted by @StockBottom:

I agree with Ray Chen:   Brett Yang plays it very well, even without being a professional concert violinist.  It is also true that this Mendelssohn Concerto is not too difficult.   Even Steve was able to play it as a teenager, although not on a Stradivarius, but... but no one made a video of me at that time,  maybe because YouTube didn't exist in those days,  :lol:

Posted (edited)

And here is the complete "event" that gave rise to the previous videos.  Sooo... they did not only Mendelssohn but Bach's Concerto for 2 violins and part of Paganini's Concerto.  Well done!   It had to be SINGAPORE,  ha ha.

Note:  as much as the TwoSet performances,  I enjoyed here the Mozart Overture and the pieces of Bach's Goldberg Variations that someone played with much fire in the fingers.

Edited by Steve5380

Back to TwoSet again.  This video is about the two Stradivarious they got on loan, prior to their "solo" performances.

I didn't know that Singapore has such a beautiful concert hall in its Esplanade.  I always thought that the best of Singapore are its gay saunas.   Although the virtue of these gay saunas is not in its buildings, but in its customers  :thumb:

Here the two play in the empty hall.  It's sound however should be more moderate when it is filled with spectators.  Nonetheless, the Strads sound fantastic!   If I were a billionaire,  I would buy me one (to improve my playing).  But before this, I would buy me a Fazioli concert grand piano,  which is much cheaper.  Yet I am quite pleased with my 6 1/2 feet Mason & Hamilin grand, which is not much inferior.   However, with my grand piano sounding already a bit too loud in my living room,  with the Fazioli I would need to buy a bigger house,  which rises the cost even more...

NO.  I don't need to have "the best" of everything.  It is sufficient if I try to be "the best" of what I can be. :) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...