Male HQ

Junior / Eurovision Song Contest

Just Curious

• 1 year later...

This winning entry is growing on me...

"The Code" was written by Benjamin Alasu, Lasse Midtsian Nymann, Linda Dale, and Nemo Mettler.  The BBC described the song as a "drum and bass EDM opera" and said its chorus was inspired by The Magic Flute by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart.  In press statements, Nemo stated that the song details their realization of their non-binary identity, stating that realizing they are non-binary has given them "freedom" and that by entering the Eurovision Song Contest, they can "stand up for the entire LGBTQIA+ community".

According to Nemo, when accepting that they didn't "feel like a man or a woman... I had to break a few codes"; the song references binary code, which is meant to represent the binary classification of genders. Mettler also declares within the song that they have found their "kingdom come", refusing to conform to traditional gender classification norms and stick to only one musical style.

2 hours ago, JusteMoi said:

Interesting ... Thanks for sharing. 🙏

You're most welcome @JusteMoi, here are some nuggets about the singer, Nemo...

Nemo Mettler was born in Biel/Bienne in the canton of Bern.  Their father is Markus Mettler, an entrepreneur and inventor, and their mother is Nadja Schnetzler, a journalist, who gave a TEDx talk on freedom of the press in Zürich in 2017.  They have a sister named Ella, a photographer who designed the vaccination campaigns of the Federal Office of Public Health during the COVID-19 pandemic, who collaborates with Nemo in the artistic direction of their projects.  Nemo's first name means "no one" in Latin. During a mission for the Swiss Red Cross in El Salvador in 2018, they said "my parents thought that if I was no-one, I could become anyone."  In November 2023, Nemo came out as non-binary in an article in the SonntagsZeitung, after being closeted since around 2021.  In the article, Nemo also stated that they prefer to be referred to by their given name instead of pronouns in German, and use they/them pronouns in English.  In 2022, Nemo came out as pansexual to their partner, who was also the first person they came out to as non-binary.

I'm still not used to individuals who use the they/them pronouns.  Anyway, this song continues to grow on me and I can't think of anyone more suitable than Nemo to sing it...

Anyway, Eurovision has always been entertaining and it's even more fun when some of the countries don't take themselves too seriously.  Like this entry from Russia back in 2020 which unfortunately was cancelled because of Covid, otherwise they would have won that year IMO...