Male HQ

Young And Jobless

Guest guest

Reminds me of the Asian Financial Crisis back in 97. Back then, graduated with a diploma, and settled with a reasonable paying job around $1800. Too greedy, decided to further my studies overseas when the crisis hit, and when I returned couple years later armed with a bachelor degree with honors, the highest paying job I can secure then was only $1200.... Alamak! lan lan also must do.... Luckily, my job does give me decent exposure, and within 14 months, I was head hunted by one of the subsidary companies of Temasek Holdings which I serviced.

The morale of the story.... Any job also take... don't 'hang yourself up high high to sell'.... If you do a good job, people will notice!

Procrastination... The biggest mental vacation one can have.

Hi TTS, i totally get u!

I graduated during the SARS year. Damn, that was a shitty year... I went to interviews where 120 people trying to grab just 1 available position... It was a tough time... I only managed to get a contract position after more than 5 months of waiting after graduation. I also remembered my friends and i congratulating each other whenever one of us found a temp/contract job during that year and the rest of us exchanged glances of envy, jealousy and despair...

Koh Samui, I need u...

Hi TTS, i totally get u!

I graduated during the SARS year. Damn, that was a shitty year... I went to interviews where 120 people trying to grab just 1 available position... It was a tough time... I only managed to get a contract position after more than 5 months of waiting after graduation. I also remembered my friends and i congratulating each other whenever one of us found a temp/contract job during that year and the rest of us exchanged glances of envy, jealousy and despair...

u meant 2003? agree... took me a year to move to a job that was not paying below 1800sgd... and after 4 yrs of working i was still paid less than those fresh grad of 2007...

i just hope being underpaid meant last to get retrenched thou

You guys just didn't get it!!!

You study for the sake of studying. OK, that is fine because govt and your family wanted you to study HIGH. BUT

after graduation you decided to work for the sake of working - and this is SHIT!!!

Do you guys not have any passion in life to do what you wanted to do, will enjoy doing it forever? Come on, get a life!!

I may not have the qualifications but I enjoy cleaning someone's shit after they have their fun time. Everyday, I meet different people, I live in a world that fit my personality, my passion and my identity. Some people might look down on me but I am proud of myself. I am happy to work and I have a strong sense of belongings to where and what I did. Briefly, I am a professional, a humble one, who has already found my world whether at home or in office. I am who I am and there is no reason to put on the mask. I am earning my livings, and it is legal, am I happy? YES! and that is what you guy should think carefully about your life.

healthcare and education = recession-proof

Not really. Private clinics will probably get hit more as people switch to government clinics or less likely to visit the doctors for minor illnesses.

Education- Enrichment programs budgets may be slashed, so it affects those conducting them.

Love. 

Reminds me of the Asian Financial Crisis back in 97. Back then, graduated with a diploma, and settled with a reasonable paying job around $1800. Too greedy, decided to further my studies overseas when the crisis hit, and when I returned couple years later armed with a bachelor degree with honors, the highest paying job I can secure then was only $1200.... Alamak! lan lan also must do.... Luckily, my job does give me decent exposure, and within 14 months, I was head hunted by one of the subsidary companies of Temasek Holdings which I serviced.

The morale of the story.... Any job also take... don't 'hang yourself up high high to sell'.... If you do a good job, people will notice!

with the old still holding tight their post . die die dun let go. how can find vancancy in high post?if .

For fresh graduates the economy may not be that bad. They just have to manage their expectations that it may take a longer time to gain employment and be willing to work more for less. Companies that eliminate senior positions may replace the role with more junior employees that costs less.

Mid-management usually are the ones that suffer the most as they costs more to hire than a fresh graduate but not experienced enough or have the necessary skills to get into senor level. The strategy at this point given the bleak economy is to justify to your boss why they should retain you vs. letting you go.

You need to be very clear about what you bring to the table besides being a good worker.

Just remember typically if your position is eliminated, someone else has to do your job function still. The responsibilities may fall onto a junior member that costs less but more prone to make mistakes or out-sourced to a consultant etc. So there is still room for negotiation- i.e. the company hire you back as a consultant vs. as an employee. You will be paid hourly or project basis etc.

Love. 

with the old still holding tight their post . die die dun let go. how can find vancancy in high post?if .

You think the old have a choice to hold on to their post tightly? Fat hope ah.

Companies would say that they value the old and redeploy them.

But you think that is really the case?

Redeploying means making life difficult for them, not able to do the new job as efficiently.

Hence, frustrated quit the job and the company need not pay retrenchment benefits.

Older staff if with no pay cut or even 30% paycut is still more expensive then employing young, energetic, more high tech

and cheaper, you think the old will have a chance to stay put.

Say only lah, the old have no chance one.

Don't fret mr younger.

BW members who are boss better dont employ the gays here...if they not happy w u, they can post vicious remarks about you. u never know

So sad right this person!! Granted, they may post vicious remarks, but as an employer and you did nothing wrong but the person really cannot work, then let them flame all they want. At least you know you did what you can to help someone out.

Guest Rockexcel

Where did we go wrong? Look around us and we will see alot of foreign "talents". Olden days, we used to compete amongst ourselves Now we have to compete with foreigners. Be it education, sports, jobs or other services, we see alot of them around.

I work in a multinational company. A really "multinational" from all over the world but more from China and India. Some had already become chinaporeans and indiaporeans but their accent still remained and they shy away from mixing around with us. However, Malaysian colleagues are still sharing almost the same culture with us, so we can click well together.

In this crisis, retrenchment is creeping everywhere. Now having a job is fortunate, sustaining a job is a blessing! Being called for an interview is lucky, being employed is luckier.

Do you agree?

So sad right this person!! Granted, they may post vicious remarks, but as an employer and you did nothing wrong but the person really cannot work, then let them flame all they want. At least you know you did what you can to help someone out.

I left this job because of an incident that was non-pre-emptive and unruly conduct by the GM towards me, to which he later explain to me THRU HR because it was an animated demonstration to the elderly counterstaff at the jackpot room and I was young and he didn't thought I'll mind.

I was informed by a friend still working there when my ex-employer (a club near Changi Village) suddenly started handing out warning letters (for being late) when they went into the red after losing a lawsuit and later starting firing staff on petty reasons and have HR pen it as 'disciplinary reasons'.

A manager there was fired because she was accused of pocketing $70 worth in computer cabinets (thats like what, 2, at most 7 of them ???!!!) :huh:

There are speculations the club is trying to avoid retrenchment benefits

What is real is that some of the victims of this unscrupulous act are loyal staff who have stayed with the club thru thick and thin (>3 yrs ),

When you realize you are in such a situation when the company betrays you and leaves a gaping hole in your resume (you can't really tell a potential employer you were dismissed, they rather you resign), the missing retrenchment benefits are the least of your worries...

I noticed they like new grads ( manager said they are more likely to multi task) and avoid paying them market rate because they are not experienced.

So...really... find out about your new employers on their attitudes and MO (modus operandi) quickly and don't take too long to decide if the pay is worth it...

Edited by Asyrus

In other first world countries, there are workers' unions to protect people against these scenarios. In singapore, it's a joke.

Having said that, overpowering unions tend to put the economies into halts and slow countries' progresses at times. So I guess it's a give and take situation.

Edited by busted79

BW members who are boss can try to employ gay people here so that gay people get the chance to work and not worry about being jobless.

As an employer, what I look for is not so much a candidate is gay or not, he can be a tranny, cross-dresser, show up in drag for all I care. As long as this person can prove himself/herself to be hardworking and smart, I will consider.

Being gay is just a small part of who a person is. What counts is can this person get the job done.

Edited by chelseasian

Love. 

Guest Retiree
As an employer, what I look for is not so much a candidate is gay or not, he can be a tranny, cross-dresser, show up in drag for all I care. As long as this person can prove himself/herself to be hardworking and smart, I will consider.

Being gay is just a small part of who a person is. What counts is can this person get the job done.

But don't you want gay to work for you instead of trying to "exploit" the maxium from your worker? Life is tough for gay already, why you like that one.

start an internet business ?

Build an online store with Amazon.com. Templates on sale at eBay with bids starting from US$0.99 up.

Some templates are really good and with hosting of less than US$5 a month, you spend time building traffic.

Sure to get some sales while seeking a job. At least dun have to idle around.

Other options would be paysites or a tube site but that will require a lot more effort.

I just want to help my didi. Shall remain silent

• 3 weeks later...

fresh grad are good. they are hardworking and obedient. they r new and ready to strive for 'career' but after a while, they will become like any of us, cant be bother, dont be helpful, do more also same pay mentality liao hahah

fresh grad are good. they are hardworking and obedient. they r new and ready to strive for 'career' but after a while, they will become like any of us, cant be bother, dont be helpful, do more also same pay mentality liao hahah

omg tats so true, i'm like that. can't help it cause the top dun really appreciate our hardwork.

In the bad times of a recession !

My advice for jobless people is that any job is a good job.

I know you may be highly educated or qualifed but at the end of the day you still need to pay for your expenses.

For the moment just get a job to meet day's end but also take this time to look for your dream job.

Anyway back to reality, if u work for people, it will never be a dream job.

BW members who are boss can try to employ gay people here so that gay people get the chance to work and not worry about being jobless.

Ok, I'm hiring...

Vacancies for Full/Part Time Baristas

We are a easy-going and fun-loving cafe located within the CBD near Chinatown. We are seeking committed and friendly staff, who love interacting with people.

No F&B experiences required, so long you are willing to get your hands dirty. Responsiblities include food preparation, customer service and the general upkeep and cleaning of our store. We stress heaps on the quality of our coffee, and if you are a coffee lover and wish to learn more on traditional Italian espresso making, this will be the ideal place to work in.

We are seeking staff that are able to work full-time or part-time from Monday to Friday during the day. Part-timers are welcome to apply for an interview too.

Please email resume to hr@soomacofffeehouse.com toarrange for interviews. Vacancies available immediately

In the bad times of a recession !

My advice for jobless people is that any job is a good job.

I know you may be highly educated or qualifed but at the end of the day you still need to pay for your expenses.

For the moment just get a job to meet day's end but also take this time to look for your dream job.

Anyway back to reality, if u work for people, it will never be a dream job.

Totally agreed with you.

Me lost my job now driving taxi.

Why???? No choice..................

But seem like taxi earning is more than what i am drawing previously..............

Hee Heeeeeeee

• Guest locked this topic