Male HQ

Watch talk

del_ta

To detoxify from Trump's watch,  it can be interesting to watch the following video about the disassembly and reassembly of a Chinese tourbillion watch.  

I am fascinated by the MICRO of mechanical horology, and I would jump into playing with these watches if it were not for the precision attained with electronics and quartz crystals ( sorry, my pragmatic nature ).  However, I also love mechanics, so I am looking forwards in a few days to do some MACRO mechanics replacing the knock sensor in the VTEC V6 engine of my Acura TL.

7 hours ago, del_ta said:

Tourbillon is super special. But out of reach.

Thanks to China, turbillion watches are becoming more affordable.  Here is one for $600, and there are even cheaper ones around.  There is something fascinating in seeing the tourbillion, and I would be inclined to such a watch even if, as I think, there are not automatics, so they need to be wound up often.  No problem, we also brush our teeth daily.

And... even SWISS tourbillions have come down in price,  like most fancy watches.  Although still more expensive than the Chinese ones, and it is difficult to determine if their quality is superior for any practical reasons.

checking the views of younger folks,are dress watch desirable?eg rolex submariner.

looking to buy for nephews celebrating some milestones in life.

2 hours ago, del_ta said:

Ultimately watches are jewellery. For time keeping there is your phone.

2 hours ago, Chinese7inchnsf said:

thats a perspective i never considered. but i guess its true now that smart watches that comes with health and lifestyle benefits are around too. there isnt actually a practical reason to keep watches around anymore

On 10/10/2024 at 11:25 AM, Chinese7inchnsf said:

everybody definitely appreciates a dress watch regardless of age. wearing something like a rolex is a flex. i think your question was quite boliao

I'd certainly agree with that.

There are special or formal occasions where you wouldn't look polished without a proper dress watch.

A decent dress watch is an elegant accessory to have as part of your wardrobe.

Give yourself a good gift, and enjoy the timepiece, it is a work of art you carry with you.. and says something about you.

My timepiece is so nice to look at, that on days I feel sad or down, just looking at the beauty of the craftsmanship

and mesmerizing dial face, just lightens my mood. No regrets investing in it.

Cheers 

3 hours ago, Thegreatestshowman said:

This looks very nice! But I wonder if there are any retaining value for IWC watches? Are they worth investing?

I think that the chances of a watch being a good investment, that it, that it can be sold at a higher price than it was bought, is slim.  This does not mean that they depreciate rapidly like other objects.

I think that while investing in a watch making company can be profitable the more watches they make, the value of each individual watch loses value the more of them are around.  But surely there are exceptions.

With the Chinese starting to make fancy watches with tourbillion, won't this affect the value of other fancy watches?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.