Male HQ

Watch talk

del_ta

On 4/5/2024 at 8:36 AM, del_ta said:

Seems like most here are into high end watches!

I will play by myself in the low-mid tier...

310324.jpg.d275cfd803fad76547b9eff61d665bc7.jpg

if i were to get a ""luxury"" watch, at my income level I am aiming for something lower class than your IWC.

i semi despise it because the brand does not have in-house movements, but it looks good so I was aiming for a Longines Legend Diver 39mm. Irks me that the rotating bezel cannot be turned underwater as a diver watch but no one wears it for diving anyway hahahaha

Time pieces are used by me to denote memorable events, will wait until the next life milestone.

PS: Nice arms

21 hours ago, fenghou said:

the brand does not have in-house movements

I need to inform you that since 2020 all IWC are having inhouse movements though for lower price range the movements are not so well decorated and adapted  from Selita or ETA models (but inhouse)  My two earlier purchases made in 2017 period - The moonphase 8 days ( which has an moon phase accuracy deviation of only one day every 650 years)  Portofino and the limited edition Sport Engineer chronographs of pure grade 5 titanium are purely inhouse.

Edited by heman

10 hours ago, heman said:

I need to inform you that since 2020 all IWC are having inhouse movements though for lower price range the movements are not so well decorated and adapted  from Selita or ETA models (but inhouse)  My two earlier purchases made in 2017 period - The moonphase 8 days ( which has an moon phase accuracy deviation of only one day every 650 years)  Portofino and the limited edition Sport Engineer chronographs of pure grade 5 titanium are purely inhouse.

Read properly I’m not talking about IWC. 

wall of text when already mentioned I’m going for a lower class brand. 

If anyone is keen, I saw Maxi-Cash official store is selling pre-loved Rolex watches, 1 stock for each of them while stock last:

1. Rolex Submariner Smurf 116618LB (Preloved)

2. Rolex Cosmograph Daytona 116500LN (Preloved)

3. Rolex GMT-Master II Rootbeer 126711CHNR (Preloved)

4. Rolex Submariner 116613LB (Preloved)

5. Rolex Explorer 114270 (Preloved)

Glad that this thread is coming alive!

On 4/8/2024 at 1:25 AM, fenghou said:

PS: Nice arms

Thanks for the compliment. Means a lot coming from someone with your physique.

On 4/8/2024 at 1:25 AM, fenghou said:

rotating bezel cannot be turned underwater

That's very strange for a divers watch. Means you must set the dive start time just before you plunge in.

On 4/8/2024 at 10:28 PM, heman said:

My two earlier purchases

Nice! I hope to have a moonphase complication one day.

17 hours ago, nothunk00 said:

the exciting pieces are all high-end

yeah man. for my fav IWC, the eternal calendar is wow. but the price is also wow.

16 hours ago, armyptkitfetish said:

Rolex

Not a fan. Hope your links help someone.

• 3 months later...
On 4/8/2024 at 9:28 AM, heman said:

How can one tolerate a one moon phase deviation of 1 day every 650 years?  This is a lot of work resetting the moon phase every 650 years!

1 day is equivalent to 1440 minutes. Divided by 650 years, this is... -> 2.21 minutes in one year, or 133 seconds. Isn't this 133 seconds per year a rather poor precision, surpassed by cheap quartz watches?  Is the pure grade 5 titanium a smart compensation for this low precision?

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

this low precision

You do not wear a mechanical watch for its precision. It is a piece of jewellery.

And for shallow people like myself, it is meant as a status symbol.

Edited by del_ta

3 hours ago, del_ta said:

You do not wear a mechanical watch for its precision. It is a piece of jewellery.

And for shallow people like myself, it is meant as a status symbol.

I don't want to diminish your status.  Like jewelry, the mechanical watch does not need to be practical, it is sufficient to be a challenge and expensive. 

Precision is just a product of my mentality of electrical engineer. ( I made my living cultivating the goal of precision measurements  :) )

Please don't feel bad about my writing, I have respect for high end horology with its mechanical excellence,  even if it is not so precise.  

i dont know much about watch brands... i used to buy n wear watches by (street) fashion brands. dkny. kenneth cole, diesel, guess... they are expensive too for just able to tell basic time (and date). often seasonal because they were launched to go with their clothes. they had no resale value, and they could go very out of style over time. that was more than 20 years ago, and some of the pieces, after changing the battery, they surprisingly are still working today. i bought them solely for their design, shape, colour etc. they are the worst investment truly.  

Edited by mith

6 hours ago, del_ta said:

@kinky kyle I wish more people will come by and chat about watches. what's your watch style?

Sports watches. They are more versatile, for any occasion. I have 2 Tudor Blackbays, a Rolex Seadweller 43 and an Omega SMP300. The rest are in expensive Seikos.

Was always mesmerised by moon phase watches ever since I was introduced to watches (ever since I started working and decided that digital watches are kiddy). I do not have alot of watches (my watch box only can contain 5 watches hahaha). I chanced upon this watch when I was browsing a local watch forum and I was mind blown by the beauty of it. Me being the sucker for moon phase watches, I knew I had to get it lol. Did a search and realised Red Army Watches at Wisma (back then it was still around) carries that watch and in no time, I went down and got it (after doing my finances/budget lol) The pictures probably don't do justice but you can do a search online or visit the official website. It was my second luxury watch I got for myself as a present (who will pamper you more than yourself right? 🥰)

Schaumburg Watch MooN grand perpetual - Meteorite 

334016584844_n.jpg

40305221208118_n.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2024 at 7:41 AM, kinky kyle said:

2 Tudor Blackbays, a Rolex Seadweller 43

Tudor and Rolex are so hard to get. I tried to ask before and bascially got laughed out of the store.

So I just stick to IWC. Generally whatever is on display is for sale.

IWC.jpg

7 hours ago, del_ta said:

Tudor and Rolex are so hard to get. I tried to ask before and bascially got laughed out of the store.

So I just stick to IWC. Generally whatever is on display is for sale.

IWC.jpg

Nice, and I see a Grand Seiko in the background. A 9F Limited Edition.👍

Edited by kinky kyle

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.