Male HQ

Department Stores

There used to be department stores in most every shopping centers, like Metro, Isetan, BHG.

They seems to have disappeared these days, replaced with more concept stores, individual brands. Buying/comparing e.g. underwears becomes a chore now to either find a department store, or going from shop to shop to compare/find the brand I want..

Is department store no longer viable in neighbourhood shopping centers?

I enjoyed shopping at Robinson. Love their sweater/pullover, travellers luggage, business pants, kitchenware, and the list goes on. 
Isetan and BHG used have wide range of underwear brands. The only thing I dislike is that all the promoters at the underwear section are female, aunty to be precise. Isetan Scott’s have male promoter, sometimes. 
I just went shopping 2 days ago and I am saddened to see there has been so much changes at BHG Bugis. The underwear section is a little underwhelming. 

59 minutes ago, bluerunner said:

I enjoyed shopping at Robinson. Love their sweater/pullover, travellers luggage, business pants, kitchenware, and the list goes on. 
Isetan and BHG used have wide range of underwear brands. The only thing I dislike is that all the promoters at the underwear section are female, aunty to be precise. Isetan Scott’s have male promoter, sometimes. 
I just went shopping 2 days ago and I am saddened to see there has been so much changes at BHG Bugis. The underwear section is a little underwhelming. 

I hate that in Takashimaya that the minute I walk over to underwear and auntie jumps out to ask if I need anything. 

1 hour ago, Admiral_R said:

I hate that in Takashimaya that the minute I walk over to underwear and auntie jumps out to ask if I need anything. 

Not only in Takashimaya, but any underwear section also you go to in any department store, auntie surely jumps out to ask you if you need anything, and they really follow you and stand beside you while you are looking at underwear.

2 hours ago, bluerunner said:

i hv to agree with u that shopping at Robinson esp underwear section is good except that mostly aunty but selection wise is good and some interesting

10 hours ago, Admiral_R said:

Haha true. Went to taka to get my underwear yesterday, auntie came and ask, "which type you like.. what size you wear... How many boxes you need.. Now got promo, buy 2 boxes got discount..." 🤣

11 hours ago, bluerunner said:

Now BHG is mostly Welcia BHG selling shampoo body soap etc?

Skinxwear has quite sexy underwear, but I usually don't dare to stand there to choose because of the aunties..

1 hour ago, NeitherHereNorThere said:

Skinxwear has quite sexy underwear, but I usually don't dare to stand there to choose because of the aunties..

If they got sell sexy underwear at the shop, why you scare to choose even those aunties come to serve you. 😂

Haha 🤣 

For me I just go buy n if u lucky to see a guy serving you underwear/intimate section just converse n have a good quickie haha his storeroom or in house toilet haha 

Nevertheless Skinxwear is good for those having fun sex kinky fetish fun haha now they have different types of fabric...years back they r the ones with leopard skin etc....haha now most go for Cin2 or HOM or CK or Emporio Armani or Polo RL or Groovin or Toot 😂

2 hours ago, NeitherHereNorThere said:

Believe me, I took out the g string from box, pull the waistband to see the design and size then stare at the aunty and gave her a pervert smile. She walked off and don't come to me anymore. 

Agree with you guys that the aunties in the underwear section. Asking what size, what u looking for, sharing promotion is still okay... hate most is, they tell you this material is vey comfortable to wear! Somestimes feels like telling them, do you have a lanjiao like me? Otherwise how you know is comfortable? haha

Usually, tell them you look around first, most of the time, they will leave you alone.

Actually if have choice the aunties also wouldn't stand there. But they are quite professional de. Can chat with them and probably listen to their suggestion. Once I was browsing a young lady approach me gave me some suggestions too. They all know we are to shop.

And they knew not everybody dare to personally go look for underwear de. So the courage must be there and they respect the patrons. So do be friendly to them unless they anyhow.  😁😁😁🤣🤣

So to you all who go personally buy underwear be proud that there are people who appreciate your boldness and courage. And independent not relying on parents to buy for you. 

1 hour ago, Kimochi said:

Actually if have choice the aunties also wouldn't stand there. But they are quite professional de. Can chat with them and probably listen to their suggestion. Once I was browsing a young lady approach me gave me some suggestions too. They all know we are to shop.

And they knew not everybody dare to personally go look for underwear de. So the courage must be there and they respect the patrons. So do be friendly to them unless they anyhow.  😁😁😁🤣🤣

So to you all who go personally buy underwear be proud that there are people who appreciate your boldness and courage. And independent not relying on parents to buy for you. 

U Auntie 杀手 😆

there are pros and cons.

i like how department stores carry many brands and you can shop for many things at one go.

not only physical items but also some interesting food items - like marks n spencer

but the thing about department stores is they tend to carry lesser known brands and the prices are not exactly good.

some of the promos are worse than online promos. i recently went to a department store skincare brand counter and realised their online official store has better promos.

6 hours ago, NeitherHereNorThere said:

I was at BHG Bugis 2 days ago. Basically, they still have different levels for different products. At the underwear section, I saw Renoma, Byford, Hushpuppy, and Skinxwear. I cannot remember when was the last time I shop there. IMO, it's less spacious now. Maybe they have moved the product closer to maximize the space. I do see a lot of shirts and pants/trousers there. I did not check out the items in detail. Just picked up what I wanted, paid, and left.

4 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Believe me, I took out the g string from box, pull the waistband to see the design and size then stare at the aunty and gave her a pervert smile. She walked off and don't come to me anymore. 

How does a "pervert smile" look like? 😜 ... imagine a handsome guy served you instead ... you must be pestering the sales guy instead ... LOL!

On 12/29/2023 at 11:11 AM, thinking35 said:

Agree with you guys that the aunties in the underwear section. Asking what size, what u looking for, sharing promotion is still okay... hate most is, they tell you this material is vey comfortable to wear! Somestimes feels like telling them, do you have a lanjiao like me? Otherwise how you know is comfortable? haha

Usually, tell them you look around first, most of the time, they will leave you alone.

I noticed seldom can find guy sales at underwear section. Esp if you go to OG and metro.

Anyway, if the auntie tells you this material is comfortable to wear still not so bad than when you tell them what size you want to buy, they would tell you this size too big or small for you. As if they are the one wearing it. 🙄

Maybe all the auntie promoters are there to remind the straight guys of their mothers who used to buy their underwear? Having an uncle or young male promoter might be intimidating for straight guys. When I was a kid, my mum would buy underwear for my dad and myself.   

Edited by doncoin

Love. 

26 minutes ago, doncoin said:

Maybe all the auntie promoters are there to remind the straight guys of their mothers who used to buy their underwear? Having an uncle or young male promoter might be intimidating for straight guys. When I was a kid, my mum would buy underwear for my dad and myself.   

Hahaha your mom doesn't know you prefer g-string 😅 

On 12/29/2023 at 7:14 AM, bluerunner said:

I was at BHG Bugis 2 days ago. Basically, they still have different levels for different products. At the underwear section, I saw Renoma, Byford, Hushpuppy, and Skinxwear. I cannot remember when was the last time I shop there. IMO, it's less spacious now. Maybe they have moved the product closer to maximize the space. I do see a lot of shirts and pants/trousers there. I did not check out the items in detail. Just picked up what I wanted, paid, and left.

I like Hushpuppy white brief. It fits me very well. So cool underneath.

I actually appreciate Departmental Stores when they have a good selection over a category you know nothing about.

Sometimes they also stock brands that you will have no way else to purchase.

An example would be that I stumbled upon this brand of shoes called "Sledgers" in Isetan.

I knew nothing of the brand but came across it randomly as I was window shopping.

Bought it, it was the BEST pair of shoes I ever had, extremely comfortable and affordable $200, and it lasted me 1.5 years despite heavy abuse.

I used to work in a well-paying F&B industry where formal shoes will crack open in 2 to 3 months. This pair lasted me 1.5 years it's crazy, and not to mention how crazy comfortable it is. The sole was also hand-stitched (you can see the stitching) , which might explain why it lasted so long.

Sledger has now died and been absorbed by Bata where they downgraded the materials, workmanship and also the padding.

Departmental Stores still have its place IF THEY are intentional with their selection.

On 12/28/2023 at 9:21 PM, bluerunner said:

Like you and a few others who posted here, I dislike having saleswomen in the men's underwear department serving me. 

No, I am not embarrassed, but I prefer a man who has penis and balls experience to discuss matters with.  There is the cut of the garment, and generosity of the pouch, the comfort level, etc., in addition to the material.  Men understand men's penis and balls comfort.

3 hours ago, doncoin said:

The last thing I need when buying my underwear is someone reminding me of mothers buying the menfolk underwear.  I suppose some men might like that kindly, comforting image - but I am very independent and I know what suits me.  So,in my case, hovering saleswomen is detrimental to my underwear shopping experience.   

1 hour ago, yhtang said:

The last thing I need when buying my underwear is someone reminding me of mothers buying the menfolk underwear.  I suppose some men might like that kindly, comforting image - but I am very independent and I know what suits me.  So,in my case, hovering saleswomen is detrimental to my underwear shopping experience.   

Auntie telling u this cutting very comfortable ???

6 hours ago, doncoin said:

Reminds me of an incident a few days ago. At OG in Chinatown.

This 50s "straight" couple was at the male underwear section.

This guy was giving off some gay vibes. Relatively tight polo top, OK physique.

He was looking looking looking at the underwear, as if searching for something specific.

I said to my friend, that is not "normal" for straight guys.  Straight uncles will just let their wives buy their underwear and just wear whatever.

To be so particular about underwear, must be highly suspect!

We saw them later on on the escalator being a bit touchy-feely.... ha haha

10 hours ago, yhtang said:

I totally agree with you. A couple of weeks ago, my mum and I were Facetiming, and I had just received several packages and was opening them as we were chatting. Of course, Mum had to ask what was in the boxes, so I showed them to her. Among my purchases was some new underwear, from my favourite brand, Charlie. Naturally, mum had to ask how much, and was flabbergasted that a pair of briefs could cost over $60. Then she started going, about how she would buy them for me the next time she went shopping and asked for my size.

She was like, I buy 1 box for only $20 and you get 5 pairs or something like that. Then she went on, do you prefer briefs like your dad or you like those shorts type? Why spend so much on a pair when you can get more pairs in a box locally? Next time when you are back, we go shopping for those 5-pack so that you can save your money. etc. 

When she said that, I had this vivid picture in my head of going to the men's underwear department at Takashimaya with my mum, and she was picking through those bins with the boxed underwear and chatting with the auntie promoters, and giggling from time to time. 

Love. 

Guest ffffffff

Women buying and selling men's indies is such a turn off. The whole place becomes a wet market and or hair dressing salon atmosphere.

And women buy the most boring indies for men because of how they think a guy should look.

They won't buy you the sexy undies. 🤣

1 hour ago, Guest ffffffff said:

Women buying and selling men's indies is such a turn off. The whole place becomes a wet market and or hair dressing salon atmosphere.

And women buy the most boring indies for men because of how they think a guy should look.

They won't buy you the sexy undies. 🤣

I sometimes wonder why women end up buying undies for men. 

It is possible that Department Stores field saleswomen in men's underwear department to cater to women buying underwear for men.  What qualifies these saleswomen for the job is beyond me, but if I, a man, were to offer to be a salesman in the bra section, everyone will be screaming "PERVERT".

Guest ffffffff
6 hours ago, yhtang said:

It is possible that Department Stores field saleswomen in men's underwear department to cater to women buying underwear for men.  What qualifies these saleswomen for the job is beyond me, but if I, a man, were to offer to be a salesman in the bra section, everyone will be screaming "PERVERT".

Precisely. Aunties are hired to sell men's undies to aunties. One auntie sales girl told me, the men will wear what the women buy. She said most men's undies are bought by women.🤣

Also many guys don't bother about fashion and leave everything to the shopping queens.

Actually few years ago, the more mature salesman at isetan will tell me skinxwear  very comfortable. So I bought some at 30 percent off 

Also there was a very chatty sales woman at the OG orchard. I can talk to her quite comfortably about cin2, AC and all other homo brands. Also she knows terms like Tanga.

17 hours ago, yhtang said:

Do you think also that not many guys or uncles (being the equivalent of aunties) choose to work in the men's underwear department? 

Love. 

37 minutes ago, NeitherHereNorThere said:

The more atas dept stores carry more atas brands. BGH used to be my cheaper option for normal underwear. Isetan, Robinson more for once-in-a-while-indulgence for "better" material, shape and size underwears

I hate going TANGS. Forever I will bump into aunties

6 hours ago, doncoin said:

Do you think also that not many guys or uncles (being the equivalent of aunties) choose to work in the men's underwear department? 

That may be a possibility, but if so, I wonder why? 

On 12/31/2023 at 8:01 PM, yhtang said:

It is quite common that wives buy socks, shirts, and...  underwear for their men.  They usually go purely by metrics:  size number and favorite brand.  The salesperson, male or female, don't need to be consulted by the customer of how good they look like,  like is the case with other more showy clothes.  So gender is not too important. 

I buy very little in department stores.  I even buy many clothes through the internet, because I know exactly my sizes and likes.  But I have a more important function for department stores.  I live relatively close to the largest and fanciest retail place in Houston,  the Houston Galleria.  It has three levels full of stores, including two large department stores, and it is luxurious and clean. This has become my place for walking exercises.  Now in cold winter and later in hot summer it takes me about 45 minutes to walk throughout its three levels in comfortable temperature, and very little public because I go before the stores open.  

21 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

It is quite common that wives buy socks, shirts, and...  underwear for their men.  They usually go purely by metrics:  size number and favorite brand.  The salesperson, male or female, don't need to be consulted by the customer of how good they look like,  like is the case with other more showy clothes.  So gender is not too important. 

I buy very little in department stores.  I even buy many clothes through the internet, because I know exactly my sizes and likes.  But I have a more important function for department stores.  I live relatively close to the largest and fanciest retail place in Houston,  the Houston Galleria.  It has three levels full of stores, including two large department stores, and it is luxurious and clean. This has become my place for walking exercises.  Now in cold winter and later in hot summer it takes me about 45 minutes to walk throughout its three levels in comfortable temperature, and very little public because I go before the stores open.  

Yes, I love the Neiman Marcus there, much nicer than the downtown Houston store. 

Love. 

5 hours ago, doncoin said:

Yes, I love the Neiman Marcus there, much nicer than the downtown Houston store. 

I agree.  I bought some nice clothes there many decades ago.  BTW,  the Galleria has four large department stores ( not two as I wrote before ) :  Neiman Marcus, Saks Fifth Avenue, Macys and Nordstrom. And many other finest stores.   I like to walk it up and down,  and the last time I had spent a dollar there was over 6 years ago when my bf and I had some ice cream...  but this Christmas I was more outspending there and I bought a set of socks on sale for $15 at Macys. :lol:

Edited by Steve5380

• 1 month later...
On 12/28/2023 at 12:12 PM, NeitherHereNorThere said:

There used to be department stores in most every shopping centers, like Metro, Isetan, BHG.

They seems to have disappeared these days, replaced with more concept stores, individual brands. Buying/comparing e.g. underwears becomes a chore now to either find a department store, or going from shop to shop to compare/find the brand I want..

Is department store no longer viable in neighbourhood shopping centers?

The problem is more the change of online sales. Lazada, Shopee etc, people prefer to get the items online.

It is happening all over the world. It also results in less revenue for the shopping malls and shopping streets.

But some items are difficult to buy online. You buy some pants online and they turn out to be too tight at the legs or something else.

Environmentally it causes a huge waste also, think of all the packing for shipping etc etc. in particular the returns and you can end up having lots of trouble, because the sender is not clear and the things return to you once again. Refund of money etc etc etc.

Department stores, I love them when I need to buy a gift. You have a lot of range and browse through the shop instead of wasting your time reading the reviews and checking how reliable the sellers are. Worst is, the parcel doesn't arrive on time...

Guest GuestWindowShopping

While many prefer online shopping these days, there's still something nice about shopping at physical departmental stores.

The tactile of feeling the various fabrics of clothing & underwear and seeing the actual colours of the products one is looking for.

18 hours ago, Guest GuestWindowShopping said:

While many prefer online shopping these days, there's still something nice about shopping at physical departmental stores.

The tactile of feeling the various fabrics of clothing & underwear and seeing the actual colours of the products one is looking for.

I agree, for me, the feel of the fabric is important. 

Another factor is the elastic around the waist, and because I am a briefs guy, the elastic around the thighs is important to me. 

6 hours ago, funky beaver said:

There used to have Private Structure section in the departmental store in my place. Imagine the aunty looking at you picking your favourite jockstrap.

I would stare the aunty in the eye as I feel and test the pouch of the jockstrap for comfort.  Should I wear a smirk when I do that?  😁

1 hour ago, yhtang said:

I would stare the aunty in the eye as I feel and test the pouch of the jockstrap for comfort.  Should I wear a smirk when I do that?  😁

You approach her to ask for advice on matching colours... 😂

Auntie will have a lot to gossip when back at home...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.