Male HQ

Oscars 2009

hey BW film buffs... what is your take on this years list of nominees and who are you rooting for as winners in Best Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor/Actress and Best Picture?

My wish list:

Actor - Sean Penn

Actress - Meryl Streep

Supporting Actor - Philip Seymour ...(I know that Heath Ledger will get it la :()

Supporting Actress - Viola Davis

Best Picture - MILK

Director- Gus Van Sant

I always like picking Oscar winners. Just for the fun of it since most of the nominated films will not make it to our shores just yet. Anyway, my Oscar goes to-

Best Picture- Slumdog Millionaire

Best Director- Slumdog Millionaire

Best Actor- Mickey Rourke- The Wrestler

Best Actress- Kate Winslet

Best Supp Actor- Josh Brolin- Milk

Best Supp Actress- Viola Davis- Doubt

I notice the two prediction above totally disregard Heath Ledger to win Supporting Actors. The Dark Knights was already being rudely ignored by Oscars in major category, so given the only major category he is in, it will very wrong that he dont win. I havent seen anything close as impressive as the Joker yet. Plus, he lost for brokeback mountain, this is his only chance for getting an Oscar.

But then again, Oscar loves to be unpredictable and hates to be a follower of Golden Globe. And also wont be so generous, thus that means PSHoffman, Meryl Streep and Sean Penn probably wont win cos they already won few years ago.

Just my opinion, but what do i know, i havent watch most of the movie anyway.

Volunteering for the underwear association for third world countries. Please donate your used underwear to me.

Hey Bro ED! Now i agree with u on the Dark Knight's Joker role. Yes, Heath Ledger is winning for sure... hahha...

Hmm... i don't agree with u on his role in BB Mountain. Yes, he's all cute and manly as Ennis Del Mar. But I think Philip Seymour Hoffman is another level above the rest of the pack for his role as Truman Capote :thumb:

Capote (2005) - Philip Seymour Hoffman

Brokeback Mountain (2005) - Heath Ledger

Good Night, and Good Luck. (2005) - David Strathairn

Hustle & Flow (2005) - Terrence Howard

Walk the Line (2005) - Joaquin Phoenix

Koh Samui, I need u...

I am quite sure that Heath Ledger will win. It would be a crime if he doesn't - at least to his memory - but was his performance that good? Don't get me wrong, I do like the guy. He is a good actor. But would he have been nominated if he did not pass away so suddenly? Would such a show like The Dark Knight even be considered for acting categories? Or is all this an overdose of sentimentalism?

I am quite sure that Kate is set to win. Past few winners have been actresses who have outdone themselves - Hillary Swank, Reese Witherspoon... but deep down, I like the old timers who have been around, who are not "one hit wonders" to just be acknowledged and re-affirmed. Thus my vote for Meryl Streep who just makes all roles perfect.

Then again.. let's wait and see... Looking forward to the Straits Times - Should win and Will Win feature :)

Oscars are so exciting...

but was his performance that good? Don't get me wrong, I do like the guy. He is a good actor. But would he have been nominated if he did not pass away so suddenly? Would such a show like The Dark Knight even be considered for acting categories? Or is all this an overdose of sentimentalism?

I am quite sure that Kate is set to win. Past few winners have been actresses who have outdone themselves - Hillary Swank, Reese Witherspoon... but deep down, I like the old timers who have been around, who are not "one hit wonders" to just be acknowledged and re-affirmed. Thus my vote for Meryl Streep who just makes all roles perfect.

No la, i can tell u that HL was nominated not because of his sudden death. The Oscars and the rest of the award committees are not blind and sentimentalist.

Think Kate will win too, which was a bit overdue. Meryl Streep, didnt she already have more than few oscars in her house already. If Oscar is so generous, then Tom Hanks will probably have ten Oscars already.

Just my humble opinion.

Volunteering for the underwear association for third world countries. Please donate your used underwear to me.

than few oscars in her house already. If Oscar is so generous, then Tom Hanks will probably have ten Oscars already.

Agreed with you.

Yes the Academy was known to hand out awards for sentimental reasons...(think Jessica Tandy, Shirley MacLaine, Geraldine Page, these older actresses had been around for so long, and during that particular year, the media was focussing on them throughout the voting season.)

To be nominated is already a great honour and to win, is just a bonus. That is why, sometimes an obscured actress wins ie., Frances McDormand was good in Fargo (a Coen brothers' comedy) when she was (and is still) definitely not A-list actress. Hilary Swank was also unknown but she stands out now after 2 awards in less than ten years!

Meryl Streep may be brillant in Doubt but there are quite a number of actresses who can handle the job, ie. Judi Dench-Maggie Smith-Vanessa Redgrave. So it was a not real stretch for Meryl who excels in almost everything she does. A nomination to her may just be 'so-you-think I'm did a good job,huh?' She had been awarded twice early in her career and now she probably is going to chase for the title of 'most nominated'!

On the other hand, the Academy has been awarding younger actresses in the past few years, ie. Gwyneth Paltrow, Charlize Theron, Reese Witherspoon and Helen Hunt (she won over Judi Dench's Mrs Brown - what a joke!) and Julia Roberts .. the list goes on..

So back to Kate Winslet, she has been nominated several times and not receiving a nod at all, the hype is that she will eventually gets one. Furthermore, the role in The Reader is typical Oscar-worthy. Sometimes, it really depends on the movie company and its advertising budget in promoting a movie.

So we shall sit back and watch the proceedings.. the costumes etc. This year, to spice up the show, eye-candy Hugh Jackman is hosting it... I do expect some promo for the X-men franchise here!

Edited by abang

Yes Agree... many younger actresses getting the nodd from academy. But who could forget the greatest mishap... Gwyneth Paltrow winning for Shakespeare in Love, over Cate Blancette for Elizabeth!! That was a roar! The greatest misfortune. But Sigh.. Oscars can be unpredictable.

I guess I have to accept that Kate will get it... Heath Ledger... and slumdog... ok... lets look forward to it : )

Edited by recklessbootlegger

Hello Bros, I just came back from watching Slumdog Millionaire. I believe Danny Boyle has a great chance in winning Best Directing. Best Picture wise, i'm not sure. I have a feeling that Benjamin Button has a better chance. Now let me go watch some more films :thumb:

Koh Samui, I need u...

Hello Bros, I just came back from watching Slumdog Millionaire. I believe Danny Boyle has a great chance in winning Best Directing. Best Picture wise, i'm not sure. I have a feeling that Benjamin Button has a better chance. Now let me go watch some more films :thumb:

Is Slumdog showing now?

I watched Milk, going to watch button tomorrow, hope its nice

How come nobody mention AJ (Angelina Jolie).. her performance in Changeling is not bad, though i'm sure she is not the hot favourite compared to Kate and Meryl.. not forgetting Anna Hathaway too.

I am not too fond of her performance. A good try but I felt that she was rather 2 dimensional. As in she was either this way or that.. and when she was being "dramatic" there was that predictable crack in her voice.

Hi Bros, I've came back with review on The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

My first opinion of the film is the almost unbearable length of the film... 160++ mins! I compared this with LOTR and Titanic. Both LOTR and Titanic are long feature film with good action/drama sequence. However, TCCBB is a long, slow paced film. It takes some effort to enjoy this film.

Acting wise, I thought Brad Pitt was good, but not excellent. Cate Blanchett once again stole the limelight with her skillful display of top notch acting.

Koh Samui, I need u...

Hi Bros, I've came back with review on The Curious Case of Benjamin Button.

My first opinion of the film is the almost unbearable length of the film... 160++ mins! I compared this with LOTR and Titanic. Both LOTR and Titanic are long feature film with good action/drama sequence. However, TCCBB is a long, slow paced film. It takes some effort to enjoy this film.

Acting wise, I thought Brad Pitt was good, but not excellent. Cate Blanchett once again stole the limelight with her skillful display of top notch acting.

I too watched Benjamin Button. Yes I agree with Panda that it was long... but to me it was not that unbearable. What added to that was Cate Blanchett great acting and some thoughts about aging the other way round.

Brad Pitt was not that strong in his acting. The focus was actually his make up. He no longer has the 6 pack that the had in Thelma and Louise... but that is ok, still looks good. Cate was certainly a show stealer. Pity that she was not nominated.

Hope to catch The Reader and Slumdog soon

Hi Bros, I've came back with review on Milk.

Man, i like this film. I am not big on gay rights. Neither am I pro politics. But Milk makes me feel proud to be a homosexual individual :P

Milk is laced with Oscar winning formulas i.e. the directing, the cast, the editing. The pace of the film is enjoyable, this is especially more so after catching my last film, Benjamin Button... :blink:

Now, Sean Penn shines as the leading actor taking on the role of legendary gay politician Harvey Milk. If I am to compare Best Leading Actor between Brad Pitt and Sean Penn, I must say Sean Penn would have win by a huge margin. :thumb:

My review:

Milk - 4.5/5

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - 3/5

Slumdog Millionaire - 4.5/5

Koh Samui, I need u...

sidetrack... 2009 BAFTA results are out! Slumdog continues its trophy sweep :thumb: FYI, BAFTA is the British equivalent of the Oscars.

Best Film: Slumdog Millionaire

Director: Danny Boyle, Slumdog Millionaire

Leading Actor: Mickey Rourke, The Wrestler

Leading Actress: Kate Winslet, The Reader

Supporting Actor: Heath Ledger, The Dark Knight

Supporting Actress: Penélope Cruz, Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Original Screenplay: Martin McDonagh, In Bruges

Adapted Screenplay: Slumdog Millionaire

Animated Film: WALL-E

Music: A.R. Rahman, Slumdog Millionaire

Editing: Slumdog Millionaire

Cinematography: Slumdog Millionaire

Edited by Panda_9791

Koh Samui, I need u...

Meryl Streep dun need to 'chase' for the record of having the most nominations because she IS already the most nominated actor/actress ever in the history of the Oscars with 15 nominations (she equalled Katherine Hepburn's record of 14 previously). Now the bets are whether she can even or even beat Jack Nicholson and Katherine Hepburn's record of 4 wins.

So far, she has won Best Supporting for kramer vs kramer and Best Actress for Sophie's Choice..but has not won ever since, meaning that she has had a 13-stretch loss, which was why the audience (and herself) went berserk when she won the best actress in the Actors Guild Award earlier this year.

I agree that Kate will probably win...but my personal fave is for Meryl to beat the odds again..

Meryl Streep dun need to 'chase' for the record of having the most nominations because she IS already the most nominated actor/actress ever in the history of the Oscars with 15 nominations (she equalled Katherine Hepburn's record of 14 previously). Now the bets are whether she can even or even beat Jack Nicholson and Katherine Hepburn's record of 4 wins.

So far, she has won Best Supporting for kramer vs kramer and Best Actress for Sophie's Choice..but has not won ever since, meaning that she has had a 13-stretch loss, which was why the audience (and herself) went berserk when she won the best actress in the Actors Guild Award earlier this year.

I agree that Kate will probably win...but my personal fave is for Meryl to beat the odds again..

I cannot agree more with you, I would really like to see Meryl get it... she is super

I cannot agree more with you, I would really like to see Meryl get it... she is super

However, the role of Sister Aloysius isn't a tough one. Any good method actress can probably play it with the same conviction. It was probably "too easy" for Streep, whose breadth and depth in acting talent we know so well.

Viola Davis in the same movie was miles better - it was so apparent in the short scene that she appeared with Streep. Streep looked ready to surrender the stage to Davis, who played the role brilliantly.

"Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok"

However, the role of Sister Aloysius isn't a tough one. Any good method actress can probably play it with the same conviction. It was probably "too easy" for Streep, whose breadth and depth in acting talent we know so well.

Viola Davis in the same movie was miles better - it was so apparent in the short scene that she appeared with Streep. Streep looked ready to surrender the stage to Davis, who played the role brilliantly.

Cannot agree more. Viola Davis was super in that short scene. The intensity was great. In fact the other nun was good in her innocence and naivety as well. Pity is that Cate Blanchette was not nominated.

OSCAR 2009 - NOMINEE LIST

Best Picture

* The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

* Frost/Nixon

* Milk

* The Reader

* Slumdog Millionaire

Best Director

* Danny Boyle – Slumdog Millionaire

* Stephen Daldry – The Reader

* David Fincher – The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

* Ron Howard – Frost/Nixon

* Gus Van Sant – Milk

Best Actor

* Richard Jenkins – The Visitor

* Frank Langella – Frost/Nixon

* Sean Penn – Milk

* Brad Pitt – The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

* Mickey Rourke – The Wrestler

Best Actress

* Anne Hathaway – Rachel Getting Married

* Angelina Jolie – Changeling

* Melissa Leo – Frozen River

* Meryl Streep – Doubt

* Kate Winslet – The Reader

Best Supporting Actor

* Josh Brolin – Milk

* Robert Downey Jr. – Tropic Thunder

* Philip Seymour Hoffman – Doubt

* Heath Ledger – The Dark Knight

* Michael Shannon – Revolutionary Road

Best Supporting Actress

* Amy Adams – Doubt

* Penelope Cruz – Vicky Cristina Barcelona

* Viola Davis – Doubt

* Taraji P. Henson – The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

* Marisa Tomei – The Wrestler

Best Original Screenplay

* WALL-E - Andrew Stanton, Jim Reardon and Pete Docter

* Happy-Go-Lucky - Mike Leigh

* Frozen River - Courtney Hunt

* In Bruges - Martin McDonagh

* Milk - Dustin Lance Black

Best Adapted Screenplay

* The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Eric Roth and Robin Swicord

* Frost/Nixon - Peter Morgan

*The Reader - David Hare

* Slumdog Millionaire - Simon Beaufoy

* Doubt- John Patrick Shanley

Best Animated Feature

* Bolt – Chris Williams and Byron Howard

* Kung Fu Panda – Mark Osborne and John Stevenson

* WALL-E – Andrew Stanton

Best Foreign Language Film

* Revanche (Austria) in German

* The Class (France) in French

* The Baader Meinhof Complex (Germany) in German

* Departures (Japan) in Japanese

* Waltz with Bashir (Israel) in Hebrew

Best Animated Short

* La Maison En Petits Cubes - Kunio Kato

* Lavatory - Lovestory - Konstantin Bronzit

* Oktapodi - Emud Mokhberi and Thierry Marchand

* Presto - Doug Sweetland

* This Way Up - Alan Smith and Adam Foulkes

Best Art Direction

* Changeling – James J. Murakami, Gary Fettis

* The Curious Case of Benjamin Button – Donald Graham Burt, Victor J. Zolfo

* The Dark Knight – Nathan Crowley, Peter Lando

* The Duchess – Michael Carlin, Rebecca Alleway

* Revolutionary Road – Kristi Zea, Debra Schutt

Best Cinematography

* Changeling – Tom Stern

* The Curious Case of Benjamin Button – Claudio Miranda

* The Dark Knight – Wally Pfister

* The Reader – Chris Menges, Roger Deakins

* Slumdog Millionaire – Anthony Dod Mantle

Best Costume Design

* Australia – Catherine Martin

* The Curious Case of Benjamin Button – Jacqueline West

* The Duchess – Michael O''Connor

* Milk – Danny Glicker

* Revolutionary Road – Albert Wolsky

Best Documentary Feature

* Nerakhoon

* Encounters at the End of the World

* The Garden

* Man on Wire

* Trouble the Water

Best Documentary Short

* The Conscience of Nhem En

* The Final Inch

* Smile Pinki

* The Witness - From the Balcony of Room 306

Best Film Editing

* The Curious Case of Benjamin Button – Kirk Baxter, Angus Wall

* The Dark Knight – Lee Smith

* Frost/Nixon – Mike Hill, Dan Hanley

* Milk– Elliot Graham

* Slumdog Millionaire – Chris Dickens

Best Live Action Short

* On the Line (Auf der Strecke)

* Manon On the Asphalt

* New Boy

* The Pig

* Toyland (Spielzeugland)

Best Makeup

* The Curious Case of Benjamin Button – Greg Cannom

* The Dark Knight – John Caglione, Jr. and Conor O’Sullivan

* Hellboy II: The Golden Army – Mike Elizalde and Thom Floutz

Best Original Score

* The Curious Case of Benjamin Button – Alexandre Desplat

* Defiance – James Newton Howard

* Milk – Danny Elfman

* Slumdog Millionaire – A.R. Rahman

* WALL-E – Thomas Newman

Best Original Song

* "Down to Earth" from WALL-E – Peter Gabriel and Thomas Newman (music), Peter Gabriel (lyrics)

* "Jai Ho" from Slumdog Millionaire – A. R. Rahman (music), Gulzar (lyrics)

* "O Saya" from Slumdog Millionaire – A. R. Rahman and Maya Arulpragasam

Best Sound Editing

* The Dark Knight – Richard King

* Iron Man – Frank Eulner and Christopher Boyes

* Slumdog Millionaire – Tom Sayers

* WALL-E – Ben Burtt and Matthew Wood

* Wanted – Wylie Stateman

Best Sound Mixing

* The Curious Case of Benjamin Button – David Parker, Michael Semanick, Ren Klyce, Mark Weingarten

* The Dark Knight – Lora Hirschberg, Gary Rizzo, Ed Novick

* Slumdog Millionaire – Ian Tapp, Richard Pryke, Resul Pookutty

* WALL-E – Tom Myers, Michael Semanick, Ben Burtt

* Wanted – Chris Jenkins, Frank A. Montaño, Petr Forejt

Best Visual Effects

* The Curious Case of Benjamin Button – Eric Barba, Steve Preeg, Burt Dalton, Craig Barron

* The Dark Knight – Nick Davis, Chris Corbould, Tim Webber, Paul Franklin

* Iron Man – John Nelson, Ben Snow, Dan Sudick, Shane Mahan

Academy Honorary Award

Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award

* Jerry Lewis

Films with multiple nominations

* 13: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

* 10: Slumdog Millionaire

* 8: The Dark Knight, Milk

* 6: WALL-E

* 5: Doubt, Frost/Nixon, The Reader

* 3: Changeling, Revolutionary Road

* 2: The Duchess, Frozen River, Wanted, The Wrestler, Iron Man

===============

Sometimes, the greatest journey is the distance between two people

• 2 weeks later...

Nice speeches from the winners of Milk - Sean Penn and The screenplay writer - not sure of hs name but he is cute.

Anyway, here are some of the winners

Best Picture - Slumdog - who could have guessed otherwise

Best Actor - Sean Penn

Best Actress - kate Winslet - Poor Meryl

Best Supporting Actor - heath Ledger - no prizes for guessing this one!

Bes Supporting Actress - Penelope Cruz - this is a surprise!

The show was indeed tastefully done. Hugh Jackman was indeed a good host. He could sing, dance looked good too. One of the best hosts so far... not corny, but truly talented

I liked the way the awards for acting categories were presented. Very meaningful.

Ok, thats it for the Oscars. Now stay tuned to fashion critics praise or slam the dresses for the night!

The show was indeed tastefully done. Hugh Jackman was indeed a good host. He could sing, dance looked good too. One of the best hosts so far... not corny, but truly talented

I liked the way the awards for acting categories were presented. Very meaningful.

Ok, thats it for the Oscars. Now stay tuned to fashion critics praise or slam the dresses for the night!

right...hugh jackman is veri talented and can never forget his performance in OZ some 2 years ago when i was in Melbourne...superb on stage...

Hugh Jackman is always my dream man :oops: ... first movie I saw and impressed is Swordfish :rolleyes:

But really, I still can't vote for Slumdog ... it is overated ... My Benjamin Bottom is still better :(

Have you guys seen Vicky Cristina Barcelona, it is very beautiful movie ... I am sure after watching this movie, if you have not been to Spain, you will be sure pack your luggague and take a trip there ? :D ... This and last year, Best Supporting actor/actress are for Spain ... what a surprised ... :yuk:

The movie starts with "Cristina often looks for what she dislikes (not as other normal people who look for what they like) then it ends with "Cristina still looks for what she dislikes" ... another good movie after Match Point from Woody Allen ...

=============

Edited by castaway

I thought this year Oscar show is an improvement over the last two years. But it's still a drag watching the almost three hour marathon telecast.

When Hugh Jackman broke into a song-and-dance, I wasn't that surprised really. He was already a very accomplished Broadway actor having sang his heart out in many musicals like Oklahoma, Carousel, South Pacific, etc... the surprise was Anne Hathaway. She was good!!!

I think the show got boring because the winners were all expected except for two major upsets- that of Best Foreign Film which went to Japan (goodness, when was the last time they won???), and the Best Actor Win For Sean Penn. Poor Mickey Rourke.

I like the best acting presentations most of all. They do lend gravity and poignancy to the the event and meant so much for the nominees. BUT I still want to see some of the clips from their movies.

And whatever happened to Sophia Loren???- my vote for the most beautiful woman ever. Now, she looks like just terrible with those horrible plastic surgery done on her face. Ugh.....The best looking men for me that night are actor Robert Pattinson from Twilight and the Aussie director Baz Luhrmann.

Next year I hope the Academy has the guts to remove some categories from the live broadcast- namely all the documentary stuff, live animation, short animation, etc.. nobody is interested in that.

Edited by erection day

Yes, it's an upset alright :D And I haven't seen both movies. lol.

Upset because this is supposed to be Mickey Rourke comeback year. A win for him is a sentimental win. And, come on, Mickey has just lost his beloved chihuahua . How can this man take the lost of both his dog and the Oscar within the same week? It's just so cruel. And Sean won the best actor only a few years ago! Mickey was robbed!

BUT having said all that, I'm glad that Sean won because he did speak up for gay men all over the world by pleading for equal gay rights in his acceptance speech. Bravo, Sean. :thumb:

Edited by erection day

Huge Jackman sings ok, but when put next to Beyonce, he's like a amateur singing with the pro....

Who cares? Sasha Fierce belongs to the grammys, not here. Because of the Oscar's histories on unpredictable results (say Sean Penn winning), i was holding my breath and so afraid that they wont call Kate Winslet and HLedger's name. Ill faint on the floor and boycott Oscar for the rest of my life if they didnt.

Anyway, im so glad that i totally get the "Joaquin Phoenix on Letterman parody by Ben Stiller" segment. Am i the only one who get it? Its so funny. Im so glad i happened to watch that clip weeks prior to the Oscars. They r so current. But I bet 80% of the world dont undersstand that parody at all.

Who cares? Sasha Fierce belongs to the grammys, not here. Because of the Oscar's histories on unpredictable results (say Sean Penn winning), i was holding my breath and so afraid that they wont call Kate Winslet and HLedger's name. Ill faint on the floor and boycott Oscar for the rest of my life if they didnt.

Anyway, im so glad that i totally get the "Joaquin Phoenix on Letterman parody by Ben Stiller" segment. Am i the only one who get it? Its so funny. Im so glad i happened to watch that clip weeks prior to the Oscars. They r so current. But I bet 80% of the world dont undersstand that parody at all.

This year's oscar so like bollywood night. I see more indians on stage than ang mors......yawn....agree?

best moments:

-tina fey

-whenever jackman sings "i didnt watch the reader" HAHAHA

-pineapple express skit

-kate winslet's dad whistling

-ben stiller

-robert downey junior and his half ass clap (sexy)

-penelope's dress. and her speech

-"so heaby! sankyuu academy, sankyuu animation, sankyuu my pencil.... domo arigato mr roboto"

-jaiho and o saya. if only mia is there to do o saya.

-slumdog millionaire's kids!

-sean penn's speech. his shoutout to the protestors and tribute to mickey rourke = AWESOME

-whenever meryl streep's on screen/mentioned. her daughter is GORGEOUS btw.

this year's the best in a long time.

Meryl was simply elegant....

ok... well as expected the reception speech by the guy who wrote sceenplay for Milk was CUT!!! he actually spoke about coming out and being accepted by friends and family and getting married... just as I had expected. I watched the live telecast in the morning.

Correct me if I am wrong:

Other cuts - Romance Film Montage segment had James Franco and Sean Penn kissing on the lips... was that CUT?

Was Sean Penn's speech cut as well? I did not stay up til the end of 2nd telecast, just watched to prove my point that there would be censorship.

• Guest locked this topic