Male HQ

five and half working days

Guest Huh?
4 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

If you wait long enough,  one day you will have zero working days.  :) 

Not possible.  We work all day days unless we are sleeping.

On 3/15/2024 at 5:43 PM, egal said:

how common is it these days

For office workers nowadays quite rare...

There a still a very few offices who have every second Saturday working half day in my office building (local boss).

If they actually work or just clock the hours is not known to me, because the boss of that company is never in on Saturdays (playing Golf?) and judging from the frequency of them walking on the corridors not sure they are productive...

Guest Guest

For office job, not common to find 5.5 working days and majority should be 5 working days. Unless it is service/retail type of office job, maybe can find 5.5 working days.

2 hours ago, singalion said:

There a still a very few offices who have every second Saturday working half day in my office building (local boss).

If they actually work or just clock the hours is not known to me, because the boss of that company is never in on Saturdays (playing Golf?) and judging from the frequency of them walking on the corridors not sure they are productive...

If people have five and a half working days, this is fine as long as they get paid overtime and their additional day is optional.

It is natural that we become less productive when the boss is not around, unless the productivity is measured.  To be very productive, the best is to be self-employed.

Guest Guest
23 hours ago, Swimfun said:

4 working days coming soon!!

4 working days coming soon? I don't think so. Mandatory 4 working days won't happen so fast. You see even WFH/flexible working days they also never mandate, even though they keep encouraging companies to do it. So even for 4 working days, maybe they encourage but won't mandate.

1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

4 working days coming soon? I don't think so. Mandatory 4 working days won't happen so fast. You see even WFH/flexible working days they also never mandate, even though they keep encouraging companies to do it. So even for 4 working days, maybe they encourage but won't mandate.

You have a choice, don't you? Everything is fair; you can always opt for an organization with your ideal compensation packages. If you choose to remain inside the cage, nobody to blame but yourself. At least there is a policy in place to encourage it, just like some old school (traditional) companies still have six working days for whatever reason. Don’t question why the government doesn't mandate it; instead, ask yourself why you don’t move on.

5 hours ago, radiusulnar said:

Mine is 5 days. It wasn't that long ago it was 5 1/2 days.

Not everyone has the luxury of changing jobs at their whim because they are unhappy with their work conditions.

This is true.  And it is a reason why it is smart, even being established with a reasonable job,  to keep improving our skills through further learning and more experience, so that instead of languishing with diminishing appeal due to aging,  we become more valuable and qualify for jobs that require more expertise and therefore offer improvements.

Guest Wfh vs 4 days wfo
11 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Most will rather take wfh than wfo 4 days. Wfh is a better deal, get paid 5 days work, get more leave, and can relax at home 2 or 3 days a week under the guise of working.

Guest Guest
7 hours ago, Guest Wfh vs 4 days wfo said:

Most will rather take wfh than wfo 4 days. Wfh is a better deal, get paid 5 days work, get more leave, and can relax at home 2 or 3 days a week under the guise of working.

This could be the reason why many companies don't have WFH arrangement, cause they know their staff would only relax at home or even do their own things during WFH. Those bosses who are calculative would never allow WFH, unless govt mandate it. Or bosses themselves like to WFH, then they would allow WFH in the company. Unless like during covid period when govt make WFH a default work arrangement, then no choice but to allow their staff to WFH.

Guest Guest
18 hours ago, Swimfun said:

You have a choice, don't you? Everything is fair; you can always opt for an organization with your ideal compensation packages. If you choose to remain inside the cage, nobody to blame but yourself. At least there is a policy in place to encourage it, just like some old school (traditional) companies still have six working days for whatever reason. Don’t question why the government doesn't mandate it; instead, ask yourself why you don’t move on.

Don't deny that you have a choice. But in actual situation, not so easy to move on to an organization with your ideal compensation packages.

Guest Guest
4 hours ago, egal said:

only a handful of companies in the world are doing 4 days week, i think

If spore companies to have 4 days work week, wonder will they cut salary since you only work 4 days for them. 😅

Guest Guest
31 minutes ago, egal said:

possible, lol

not only that, they ask u to pay for the extra day off, lol

Good to have 4 days work week and 3 days to rest. I find going to work for 5 days quite tiring.

Guest Guest
54 minutes ago, radiusulnar said:

5 day week with WFH occasionally is a good compromise to me

WFH is indirectly like lesser work week, since how many people who has WFH is really working at home.

Automation and artificial intelligence are advancing rapidly, taking work that only humans could do in the past.

The less human work is needed, the less work opportunities are offered to us.  If as a society we can manage to rescue the benefits from automation and AI from big capitalistic corporations and their billionaires, it is possible that in the future we may be able to have shorter working weeks.  

concept of 5 and 1/2 working week is mind boggling to me, especially if you still have to go to the office. in my uni days i had one fellow intern who didn't know how to negotiate his contract terms and ended up taking less pay than all the other interns plus an extra half day where he travelled from west to east, and for what? Just to clock in another extra 4 hours, if at all? Somemore he was a graphic designer who was 100% capable of working from home. By the time you're home it's 3/4pm and exhausted already. Best to get out of such a situation if you can.

Guest Guest
On 3/18/2024 at 12:33 PM, sleepytwunk said:

concept of 5 and 1/2 working week is mind boggling to me, especially if you still have to go to the office. in my uni days i had one fellow intern who didn't know how to negotiate his contract terms and ended up taking less pay than all the other interns plus an extra half day where he travelled from west to east, and for what? Just to clock in another extra 4 hours, if at all? Somemore he was a graphic designer who was 100% capable of working from home. By the time you're home it's 3/4pm and exhausted already. Best to get out of such a situation if you can.

Many people do not work near their home, not everyone can have the luck and luxury to work near to home. Most people need to travel at least 30-45 mins to work and back home which is already consider 'near'.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.