Male HQ

Getting PR status for my partner

I have been in a long distance relationship with my partner for awhile now, he is from Vietnam, I am looking for ways to help him get SG PR so it is easier for him to stay with me long term. He is not a skilled worker so EP is not an option. Anyone has similar experinces? Or alternatives to help him stay for long term in SG?

I feel for you guys, but I think it’s going to be vv difficult for him. It’s really not easy to get PR nowadays even for the higher paid EP holders who apply for it. First step will be to find a job/employer and apply for WP/EP. If he can’t find a job, then I’m afraid it may be mission impossible, even for ethan hunt. 

Edited by Ann_Onn

Guest Plain Answer
2 hours ago, CJZ94 said:

I have been in a long distance relationship with my partner for awhile now, he is from Vietnam, I am looking for ways to help him get SG PR so it is easier for him to stay with me long term. He is not a skilled worker so EP is not an option. Anyone has similar experinces? Or alternatives to help him stay for long term in SG?

Only if he is initially willing to work in a low-paying position does he need to obtain a work permit in order to work here.  Helping him obtain PR feels a bit too rich and hurried. Unless your companion is an indispensable member of the medical community, a scientist, a doctor, a high-tech professional, etc.    Since there is a nursing shortage in Singapore, I probably advise him to train to become a male nurse in his home nation before moving here to work.   He can then continue living with you while working here toward a fulfilling career.  Another option is for you to work in Vietnam and stay there. 

Guest Gilbert

If he is a nice boy, do him a favour, don't bring him into Singapore. Let him go.

Anyone who is nice, if stayed in Singapore long enough, will pick up all the bad characteristics (as a way to survive in the Singapore society).  In brief, he will very quickly, know how to weigh what would be beneficial for him - love less, care less, be hard, desensitized, etc.  A person who can survive in Singapore is usually hardly a lovable person.

It is akin to letting him escape from the warped values of Singapore!

Guest True
14 hours ago, Guest Gilbert said:

If he is a nice boy, do him a favour, don't bring him into Singapore. Let him go.

As in, bringing an innocent living things from the wild jungle into a beautiful cage?

21 hours ago, CJZ94 said:

Best option is for him to get a WP. But are you sure SG is a good place to stay long term?

21 hours ago, CJZ94 said:

My apologies at start if I may be killing your mood, but I m just looking at the current regulation and facts:

There is rarely such a thing that the Immigration grants a PR to someone who is overseas and hasn't lived some time in Singapore.

That approach is quite unrealistic.

The first step would be that your bf works under some pass in Singapore for some years. That might stretch to five years nowadays.

If he is not eligible for an EP, he might be for a S Pass or Work Pass.

It would be good to check what jobs under the Work Pass are wanted (and mostly easily approved).

Singapore doesn't recognise gay partners (even if they are legally married overseas - while there are some exceptional cases for those MD functions of MNC, but for the rest it looks very bleak).

Note that Singapore has become quite selective on PRs (unless they fall into a certain ethnic category).

The contingent per year is reduced since the 2011s.

Even if your bf works here under a Work Pass, it might not be achievable for him to receive an approval for a PR.

In fact, if your bf is the younger type, you might sponsor him some skilled education first. Tech, Engineering and IT/ Artificial intelligence/ programmer ... are some hits here. That would facilitate him moving here under a job.

Third, before you start anything, be aware if your bf just doesn't try to use you as a springboard for his personal gain.

Being in South East Asia for quite some time... I had to share a lot of stories on such things from my close friends...

Last point: Long distance relationships are a sort of its own. I had been to one, my first life advice to you is actually that you move together somehow for one year. Often, the thrill of just seeing each other with lots of sex due to being separated is quite hot, but once you live together, there might be a different stance on your partner. Unfortunately, long distance relationships can cover up the flaws of each other or cloud the fact that you are not meant to be in a relationship long term.

I just wanted to give you some realistic input, so don't be offended by my last chapter on long distance relationships...

Another difficult alternative:   if you can become an American resident and stay there for 5 years, you can apply for citizenship.  Then,  you can apply there residency for your bf.

On 4/13/2024 at 3:07 PM, CJZ94 said:

How old is your partner? If he is in his 20s or 30s, he can still put some effort to learn in some schools to get better qualification. With better qualification, means he can go for skilled jobs. 
If he is working in Sg, he can go attend classes for higher learning eg. Diploma and Higher diploma. With higher leanings, he might get a shot at PR. 

If he truly wants to achieve his goals to get PR in Sg, he should be the person to put in hard work and it if he chose not to put in that effort, no amount of what you do, will land him the "hard to earn" PR status.

The issue here is, is he willing to put in the effort to "work" toward being a skilled worker? If he don't or can't, then no amount of our "advice" will help him. 

If he is those who don't aim to be "skilled" or have to intention to work towards that goal, then no amount of your work here can help in over there in Vietnam.

At the end of the day, we can't force someone to do something he don't want to do.

4 hours ago, GachiMuchi said:

The issue here is, is he willing to put in the effort to "work" toward being a skilled worker? If he don't or can't, then no amount of our "advice" will help him. 

If he is those who don't aim to be "skilled" or have to intention to work towards that goal, then no amount of your work here can help in over there in Vietnam.

At the end of the day, we can't force someone to do something he don't want to do.

You are absolutely right.  "We can bring the horse to the water, but we cannot make it drink".  Although persistent repetition of "advice" may be able to do the work.  Let's not lose hope!

The PR approval criteria are opaque unlike AUS where you have to hit certain scores (IELTS, profession, education level) to be eligible.

Anecdotally, Malaysians and Indonesians of Chinese ethnic seem to have it easier. Even better if you are woman. Graduate from local university is a plus point.

Guest Useless
9 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Another difficult alternative:   if you can become an American resident and stay there for 5 years, you can apply for citizenship.  Then,  you can apply there residency for your bf.

what absolutely useless and irrelevant advice is this?!

become an American resident for five years? HOW?! And also: WHY?! He is asking about ways to live in Singapore.

just a total confirming every worst cliche about Americans 🤡 

13 hours ago, GachiMuchi said:

How old is your partner? If he is in his 20s or 30s, he can still put some effort to learn in some schools to get better qualification. With better qualification, means he can go for skilled jobs. 
If he is working in Sg, he can go attend classes for higher learning eg. Diploma and Higher diploma. With higher leanings, he might get a shot at PR. 

If he truly wants to achieve his goals to get PR in Sg, he should be the person to put in hard work and it if he chose not to put in that effort, no amount of what you do, will land him the "hard to earn" PR status.

Doesn't work. My China BF even got a diploma so he can get his SPass ... he tried for 15 years, enlisted help from agencies (scammers) but gave up eventually

7 hours ago, Guest Useless said:

what absolutely useless and irrelevant advice is this?!

become an American resident for five years? HOW?! And also: WHY?! He is asking about ways to live in Singapore.

just a total confirming every worst cliche about Americans 🤡 

Why?

To become an American resident is a blessing for many people all over the world. And I can give testimonial of this after living 46 years in the US.  And it is good advise for a person I don't know anything about.  Maybe the TS has some skill that qualifies him for immigrating, and the US recognizes the marriage to a gay spouse.

Guest Mr Paranoid

Hold on for a second!  Are we overpopulating for no apparent reason, or is there a plan in place to increase the number of gay people in our community that I am unaware of?

5 minutes ago, Guest Mr Paranoid said:

Hold on for a second!  Are we overpopulating for no apparent reason, or is there a plan in place to increase the number of gay people in our community that I am unaware of?

There is power in the numbers,  and the more SG gays there are, the more you gays will have your human rights recognized.   And the gays who get PR in SG will need to have some valuable skills, which is also good for the SG gay community.   Gay is Good.

Guest Good Gay Bad Gay
29 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

There is power in the numbers,  and the more SG gays there are, the more you gays will have your human rights recognized.   And the gays who get PR in SG will need to have some valuable skills, which is also good for the SG gay community.   Gay is Good.

I prefer good decent gay in our community.  Not some highly skilled gay jokers who take pictures of people in the toilet, molest patient or innocent young boys or getting themselves noticed in public for all the wrong reasons.  Skilled workers are not necessarily good citizens.  

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.