Male HQ

My partner of 10 years secretly put all of our assets into trusts controlled by him alone

Guest Tech1979

Guest Tech1979

My partner of 10 years secretly put all of our assets into trusts controlled by him alone. When confronted about the trusts, he said he assumed I’d be OK with that because of my promise to give his assets to his kids. He was married before he came out and separated from his wife and live with me. I’m not even a 50% beneficiary. Is this even legal? What are my options?

If it his money and you are not married than it is 100% legal even if it is not fair nor reasonable/fair or transparent.

What he does with his funds and his prior children is under his full control.

However, if there are ANY of you funds in those assets held by the trust (e.g. joint bank accounts where some of the cash were from you or joint real estate holding where you helped with any down payments or mortgage payments, etc.) than he might be violating the law. 

You really need to talk with him - even if most of the funds are his.  You need to discuss how he feels about you and why he has chosen not to list you as a beneficiary.  Maybe he has assumed that you would not mind and it sounds like you do mind or at least are concerned.  You options are to talk with him...not to seek legal action and to seek legal advice. Gay/lesbian couples are not recognized as a union in Sg, as I understand it and thus not liable for tax or join asset declarations and such. But, your money is YOURS!!!  The part of the trust that you contributed to - does not have to follow his wishes only.  They are NOT your children.  So, if you want to preserve your relationship - talk to him nicely and share your concerns and wishes first.  If he refuses to budge, talk to a lawyer and go from there.  Good luck!

1 hour ago, Chukie Guido said:

If it his money and you are not married than it is 100% legal even if it is not fair nor reasonable/fair or transparent.

What he does with his funds and his prior children is under his full control.

However, if there are ANY of you funds in those assets held by the trust (e.g. joint bank accounts where some of the cash were from you or joint real estate holding where you helped with any down payments or mortgage payments, etc.) than he might be violating the law. 

You really need to talk with him - even if most of the funds are his.  You need to discuss how he feels about you and why he has chosen not to list you as a beneficiary.  Maybe he has assumed that you would not mind and it sounds like you do mind or at least are concerned.  You options are to talk with him...not to seek legal action and to seek legal advice. Gay/lesbian couples are not recognized as a union in Sg, as I understand it and thus not liable for tax or join asset declarations and such. But, your money is YOURS!!!  The part of the trust that you contributed to - does not have to follow his wishes only.  They are NOT your children.  So, if you want to preserve your relationship - talk to him nicely and share your concerns and wishes first.  If he refuses to budge, talk to a lawyer and go from there.  Good luck!

Good advise

10 hours ago, Guest Tech1979 said:

My partner of 10 years secretly put all of our assets into trusts controlled by him alone. When confronted about the trusts, he said he assumed I’d be OK with that because of my promise to give his assets to his kids. He was married before he came out and separated from his wife and live with me. I’m not even a 50% beneficiary. Is this even legal? What are my options?

What's yours should be yours. It's up to him what he wants to do w his. Write your own will

10 hours ago, Guest Tech1979 said:

Your writing of "all of OUR assets" seems to indicate that some of them came from you, and they are YOUR part.  Does he have exclusive control over your finances?  If so, you should immediately keep YOUR money into a separate bank account on your name.   AND make sure that in your joint household he pays HIS share.  

Who would have thought...  after 10 years!  

Guest Sure or not
13 hours ago, Guest Tech1979 said:

And u come online to tell cyber strangers, asking your options , sure or not ?? 

Guest Sorry
13 hours ago, Guest Tech1979 said:

What are my options?

We have no idea.   There are a lot of technicality, legality, closed door personality, reliability and trustworthy issue. Members/Guests here have absolutely no preview to any of those between you and your ex-married partner.   We are none the wiser in your affairs.  Please look for a lawyer on this matter and then exposed all the intimacy that comes with it.

14 hours ago, Guest Tech1979 said:

Simple response:

Ask him to do a will!

May we assume that what your call "our assets" are actually your partner's assets?

4 letters -2B4U

Too bad for you 

Guest Guest
15 hours ago, Guest Tech1979 said:

Option available:

Pull out or sell off all your own assets before he gives everything to his kids, and then quit your relationship?

Guest Smart

This is exactly why, when my current partner suggest we live together in my condo, I told him I expect him to pay rent. If we last until we old, that rent will be our retirement fund. 

If we break up before that, the rent I take. Cause I pay everything. The house is under my name. So he feel like he contribute to nothing.. 

8 hours ago, Guest Smart said:

This is exactly why, when my current partner suggest we live together in my condo, I told him I expect him to pay rent. If we last until we old, that rent will be our retirement fund. 

If we break up before that, the rent I take. Cause I pay everything. The house is under my name. So he feel like he contribute to nothing.. 

Exactly! MUST

20 hours ago, Guest Smart said:

Give u one big round of applause . Bravo bro! 

On 4/21/2024 at 10:28 PM, Guest Tech1979 said:

What u expect from a married guy. Cunning n selfish forever. If ur hard earned money is in the assets or bank balance he trusted to, then of course its not right for him to do so. Common sense right?

Claim back all yr things n send him out of the house or get separated. He can go back to his family n save more money n assets for them. 

Then yr siblings n family get what ? Singles doesn't mean we are from road sides. We have family too. Parents n siblings not family ar? 

Think dude. 

Edited by cutejack

On 4/22/2024 at 3:25 PM, Guest Smart said:

Cheapo 

Suppose you have been making regular monetary contributions to the assets your bf has put into the trust, and there is documentation. In that case, you may have some legal recognition for your contribution. When the assets were transferred into a trust controlled by your bf, assuming that the assets are co-owned, you can argue that you did not agree to this transfer since your permission was not sought. What is of debate is your promise to give the assets to the kids. There should be clarity in the sense that the transfer of the assets to his kids will not take place until after your death. If it is a verbal promise, I suggest you get a lawyer to prepare a will or some legal doc to formalise it to protect yourself.

Make it clear to your bf that he should have discussed with you first before transferring your joint or your assets into this trust, and make it even clearer that all the assets held in the trust will not go to his children until after you are dead. Make sure you have provisions within the document that states that in the event you and your bf do not work out, the assets in the trust will be returned accordingly or split accordingly, and that the "promise" to his children will be null and void.  

Suppose you outlive your bf, since you have contributed to the assets held in the trust, you have the right to them. You can split the assets with his kids, and make sure you have enough for yourself, or you can hold on to the assets and live off them, and make sure that his kids inherit whatever is left after you are gone. Either way, you kept your promise to your bf. You just need some clarity on the details. A lawyer will help you sort it out. 

Love. 

On 4/21/2024 at 9:28 AM, Guest Tech1979 said:

I read your post again, that you promised to give HIS assets to his kids.  You didn't promise to do so with YOUR assets, did you?   And since you wrote "our assets", I assume that some of them are YOURS.  

Does his family, his kids, know that he has been your partner for 10 years?   If they don't, you surely would not tell them.  UNLESS he wants to take advantage that the trust is in his name alone!  This can give you some leverage in case his attitude is so SHITTY as trying to defraud you.  If so, you could be willing to tell his family, his work place, the WHOLE world,  that he is GAY and in intimate relationship with another GAY.  And you could do this  WITHOUT VIOLATING ANY MORAL RULE. 

Guest Clarity of Mind
14 hours ago, doncoin said:

There should be clarity in the sense that the transfer of the assets to his kids will not take place until after your death. If it is a verbal promise, I suggest you get a lawyer to prepare a will or some legal doc to formalise it to protect yourself.

Ya lor.  At least other people kids must be willing to clear his dead body,  prepare a funeral for him and do a proper burial,  Then they can take his net asset after deducting all those expenses.  Otherwise, some people just don't deserve your money.

Guest Right?
13 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Does his family, his kids, know that he has been your partner for 10 years?   If they don't, you surely would not tell them.  UNLESS he wants to take advantage that the trust is in his name alone! 

Rich people tend to have many such issues as compared to poor people with nothing to worry about inheritance nor Will nor scam nor trust.

On 4/28/2024 at 3:32 AM, Guest Right? said:

Rich people tend to have many such issues as compared to poor people with nothing to worry about inheritance nor Will nor scam nor trust.

Very true!  It should exist in the beginning of a complete, fully lived life an interest, concern about the way to make a living, a contribution to society. This  often lacks in persons who have big inheritances waiting for them to receive.   Those ones "born with a silver spoon in their mouths" to rich families often turn out to be completely wasted, if not worse.

Here in America we have a sad example of a Donald who was born in the rich Trump family and inherited millions,  becoming the most abominable politician on record.  And all he could procreate were rich children, the "junior", Eric, Ivanka,  who are further human abominations.  Who knows what they will do about inheritance when their miserable father dies in jail...   Another traditional example are the descendants of royal families, like the British royal family.

Edited by Steve5380

57 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

Very true!  It should exist in the beginning of a complete, fully lived life an interest, concern about the way to make a living, a contribution to society. This  often lacks in persons who have big inheritances waiting for them to receive.   Those ones "born with a silver spoon in their mouths" to rich families often turn out to be completely wasted, if not worth.

Here in America we have a sad example of a Donald who was born in the rich Trump family and inherited millions,  becoming the most abominable politician on record.  And all he could procreate were rich children, the "junior", Eric, Ivanka,  who are further human abominations.  Who knows what they will do about inheritance when their miserable father dies in jail...   Another traditional example are the descendants of royal families, like the British royal family.

What inheritance? There shouldn't be anything left...

3 minutes ago, singalion said:

What inheritance? There shouldn't be anything left...

I agree with you.  All that should be left is a big negative,  the Last Bankruptcy, the last in a series of them,  at the end of a life that was a bankruptcy in itself.  Poor "Junior", Eric, Ivanka and two new ones,  hopefully they soon vanish from the scene as quickly as possible. 

Guest More politics
1 hour ago, Steve5380 said:

Very true!  It should exist in the beginning of a complete, fully lived life an interest, concern about the way to make a living, a contribution to society. This  often lacks in persons who have big inheritances waiting for them to receive.   Those ones "born with a silver spoon in their mouths" to rich families often turn out to be completely wasted, if not worth.

14 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

I agree with you.  All that should be left is a big negative,  the Last Bankruptcy, the last in a series of them,  at the end of a life that was a bankruptcy in itself.  Poor "Junior", Eric, Ivanka and two new ones,  hopefully they soon vanish from the scene as quickly as possible. 

more politics from @Steve5380 and also completely off topic.

great job to the mods @HendryTan and @G_M for managing to continue to overlook any posts from @Steve5380 😂

At least they spring into action at the smallest sign of an ad.

what a joke…

3 hours ago, Guest More politics said:

more politics from @Steve5380 and also completely off topic.

great job to the mods @HendryTan and @G_M for managing to continue to overlook any posts from @Steve5380 😂

At least they spring into action at the smallest sign of an ad.

what a joke…

Our posts are well within the topic of inheritance,  what happens when the dead leave money behind... or not.   And what may happen with the children of the beneficiaries, like can be case of the ones of the TS boyfriend.

YOUR attacking posts are your POLITICS to interfere in BW threads trying to interfere with the peaceful evolution of the threads.  Shame!!

Sounds like an entitled narcissist tbh, that said how did he manage to move all your assets into his control without your knowing?

Easiest way is ask him back for it, the hard way you can detail out all that you have done to accumulate the assets showing your personal bank slips etc and engage a lawyer to see your options.  

Guest entitlement by default

option 1: express your displeasure

option 2: call mah tah

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.