Male HQ

Singapore Airlines Hiring...have standards of crew dropped ?

4 hours ago, radiusulnar said:

During my last flight on SQ during our office incentive trip, I thought the boys were still of quite high standard. Tall and well built. Good looking too.

Maybe for Short distance flights... Noted that the younger one's seem to be more on the short haul flights...

On Long haul the crew nowadays seems (very) much older than previously.

I assume SQ has less "office" jobs for them nowadays (automated boarding pass and automated check in luggage etc)...

don't be surprised and don't think your flight crashed if you will encounter silver foxes and more "curvy" stewardesses of medium age range on business class... the post Covid years. Actually, I don't mind, nowadays you're mostly watching movies during flights...

I also heard that ex SQ staff shortly before retirement where requested to stay on longer...

Let's assume being SQ crew doesn't seem to be the dream job it used to be and the automation drive resulted in longer crew working periods on flights...

As a frequent flyer I can confirm there is still some eye candy around... so don't fret.

😂

1 hour ago, Relationship said:

Now for airline as long as there is a person to serve in line with the guide of the company- looks is really secondary 

Sound like last time commando must have perfect eyesight but now I think can see already very good. 

Those on the picture of the TS look quite good.   Even if they become a little less cute, they are still like day and night compared with the old not-so-friendly crews of United Airlines in their flights across the Pacific.

Guest Guest

Wonder if any of the handsome stewards ever had any fun with the male passengers in the small and tight lavatory (like in the movies) .... 😍

3 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Wonder if any of the handsome stewards ever had any fun with the male passengers in the small and tight lavatory (like in the movies) .... 😍

Why not in the first class suite? Got more space and also a shower,…

I actually got quite harassed by one SQ steward some time ago during a business class flight. Found his approach very unprofessional. In the best place just hand over the hp no or email on a pretext. But don’t chit chat in front of everyone that uncontrolled. He wouldn’t know if a colleague is near you,…

But that was a singular incident.

While I suspected plenty of SQ stewards being one of us.

Guest guest
On 4/24/2024 at 6:12 PM, Relationship said:

Yeah. 20 years ago the standard is really good one. But now got service jui Hao Liao 

Maybe all the good looking guys now not interested to become cabin crew. So SQ also has to drop their standard, cause not easy to find good looking guys to join them.

Anyway, i seldom serve by male cabin crew when fly on SQ. Always served by female cabin crew. Notice male cabin crew always at business class.

Guest Guest
10 hours ago, singalion said:

Why not in the first class suite? Got more space and also a shower,…

I actually got quite harassed by one SQ steward some time ago during a business class flight. Found his approach very unprofessional. In the best place just hand over the hp no or email on a pretext. But don’t chit chat in front of everyone that uncontrolled. He wouldn’t know if a colleague is near you,…

But that was a singular incident.

While I suspected plenty of SQ stewards being one of us.

You mean the SQ steward tried to seduce you? 

4 hours ago, Guest guest said:

Maybe all the good looking guys now not interested to become cabin crew. So SQ also has to drop their standard, cause not easy to find good looking guys to join them.

Anyway, i seldom serve by male cabin crew when fly on SQ. Always served by female cabin crew. Notice male cabin crew always at business class.

To be a cabin crew must not be a healthy occupation.  Spending much time at high altitude receiving more radiation and working odd hours is not a recipe for longevity. 

But it is healthier than working in a coal mine.  And good looks are more valuable as a cabin crew than as a coal miner.

Guest Guest
On 4/26/2024 at 1:59 AM, Steve5380 said:

To be a cabin crew must not be a healthy occupation.  Spending much time at high altitude receiving more radiation and working odd hours is not a recipe for longevity. 

But it is healthier than working in a coal mine.  And good looks are more valuable as a cabin crew than as a coal miner.

Cabin crew earns quite a lot than working as normal type of job, example office job. Bad for health or not doesn't matter, since you won't see the bad effect now.

fun fact, some of the crew were from "Silk Air". Silk Air crew are original SQ recruitment rejects. But these days their management don't give a shiat anymore.

There were rumors that for some of the region flights, you gonna get scoot folks wearing kebaya

the company is going to shit

Guest Bleah

They are desperate for crew. I recently get to know of a male crew who got in at 35yo, this is definitely unheard of last time.

I wouldn't do it though at 35yo, imagine your batchmates are mostly kiddos and people in there at your age are already ranking crew.

34 minutes ago, Guest Bleah said:

They are desperate for crew. I recently get to know of a male crew who got in at 35yo, this is definitely unheard of last time.

I wouldn't do it though at 35yo, imagine your batchmates are mostly kiddos and people in there at your age are already ranking crew.

The amount of young Singaporeans is shrinking. And this young generation has the dream to be rich by an easy job and not work hard (social media influencer, pop star, onlyfans actor,...). As hard as it might sound but they are not interested in service jobs but prefer to receive high class service rendered by orhers only. That generation is also longing for work life balance. Enjoying is more the factor...than doing some 9 to 5 regular job. Just look at the amount of this gen that drop out of a job in 3 or 6 months... 

They were pampered much too much and their parents quite wealthy already compared to earlier generations. 

Edited by singalion

3 hours ago, Guest Bleah said:

I had a fren who join that age too last year. And... Really I got a shock SQ take him in. Physically really far from what you would expect of a usual SQ steward. But you know, he got promoted quickly. I guess personality and service matters more to SQ now. 

Guest guest
2 hours ago, singalion said:

The amount of young Singaporeans is shrinking. And this young generation has the dream to be rich by an easy job and not work hard (social media influencer, pop star, onlyfans actor,...). As hard as it might sound but they are not interested in service jobs but prefer to receive high class service rendered by orhers only. That generation is also longing for work life balance. Enjoying is more the factor...than doing some 9 to 5 regular job. Just look at the amount of this gen that drop out of a job in 3 or 6 months... 

They were pampered much too much and their parents quite wealthy already compared to earlier generations. 

Countries with poor replacement rates (along with Korea and Japan) are deem to condemnation.  

Guest Bien

Olden days flying experiences are hard to come by.  Stewards and stewardess are a highly respected jobs where one gets to see places world round. Many are Miss and Mister Sg or even tv stars. Nowadays these jobs are relegated to just a waiter or waitress job. So well educated young sg don't find it attractive.  The job used to be a good recommendation to get into higher professions.

Guest Guest

This is the reality of the job now:

- Allowances are cut (a bulk of crew's pay is from allowances)

- Time spent overseas (layovers) are reduced - you'll be very tired after a flight, just imagine - reach hotel, after sleep and wake up, you only have half a day to explore before getting ready to fly back. for long hauls, you probably only have max 1.5 days (2 days if you are lucky) to touch-and-go. and you'll normally only have 1 long haul flight a month.

- Reduced layovers translate to lesser allowances.

It's still a nice job to see see and explore when you are young and does not have (much) work experience. but most people quit after 2 to 3 years. you are bonded for 18 months.

Guest guest
8 hours ago, singalion said:

The amount of young Singaporeans is shrinking.

lol. laugh die me. u foreign bo-talent. ur england sibeh powderful la! lol.

Guest Guest
8 hours ago, singalion said:

Yes, work life balance. This is why there is flexi work arrangements from Dec 1. Young generation now if not given flexi work arrangement, they would not even consider working for that company. Must be at least have WFH. No wonder even now still can find most companies still have WFH arrangement, not because of covid anymore.

Guest Guest
2 hours ago, Guest Bien said:

Olden days flying experiences are hard to come by.  Stewards and stewardess are a highly respected jobs where one gets to see places world round. Many are Miss and Mister Sg or even tv stars. Nowadays these jobs are relegated to just a waiter or waitress job. So well educated young sg don't find it attractive.  The job used to be a good recommendation to get into higher professions.

I never see cabin crew as highly respected jobs, i find this job is simply a 'high class' waiter/waitress job. But many people view this job like very atas. However, working as cabin crew quite a good way to save up. Some cabin crew during their contract with SQ, able to save up lots of money since their allowances paid is not bad.

Guest Bien

I am more acquainted with the olden days flight crew and they used to be my envy especially their achievements.  My classmate married a millionaire and I began to see her in  magazine mixing with sg socialites. Surprised ! Sg has so many Hdb millionaires today but still poor. Another one married to HK billionaire and became a Taitai. My two Sg stewards dumped their girlfriend/fiance and decided to live together after buying a condo.  They are now financially more rich in assets than another pair of my friends who are pilots and a couple staying together. The latter being younger and bought their place late. Mediacorp has its share of ex-flight crew doing well in show his and other biz.

On 4/28/2024 at 11:00 PM, Guest Guest said:

I never see cabin crew as highly respected jobs, i find this job is simply a 'high class' waiter/waitress job. But many people view this job like very atas. However, working as cabin crew quite a good way to save up. Some cabin crew during their contract with SQ, able to save up lots of money since their allowances paid is not bad.

it was very atas before the era of LCC

the situation now: crew welfare is exceptionally bad + heavily cut allowances = high turnover rate,

anyone in a corporate job with an annual 3 to 5% increment will exceed current crew pay in 5 years for sure even if the starting salary is below average. what this means is being a crew is no longer a viable long-term career path. it just became another "job", which by the way is not a full time employment, but a 5 year renewal basis contract - it is just a contract job

they had a high high 3 digit turnover rate in one of the months a few years ago and the management continue to neglect crew welfare and limit the career development path of crew

tone deaf management so it is what you get:

all below (true):

This is the reality of the job now:

- Allowances are cut (a bulk of crew's pay is from allowances)

- Time spent overseas (layovers) are reduced - you'll be very tired after a flight, just imagine - reach hotel, after sleep and wake up, you only have half a day to explore before getting ready to fly back. for long hauls, you probably only have max 1.5 days (2 days if you are lucky) to touch-and-go. and you'll normally only have 1 long haul flight a month.

- Reduced layovers translate to lesser allowances.

Edited by fenghou

On 4/30/2024 at 7:29 PM, Guest Bien said:

I am more acquainted with the olden days flight crew and they used to be my envy especially their achievements.  My classmate married a millionaire and I began to see her in  magazine mixing with sg socialites. Surprised ! Sg has so many Hdb millionaires today but still poor. Another one married to HK billionaire and became a Taitai. My two Sg stewards dumped their girlfriend/fiance and decided to live together after buying a condo.  They are now financially more rich in assets than another pair of my friends who are pilots and a couple staying together. The latter being younger and bought their place late. Mediacorp has its share of ex-flight crew doing well in show his and other biz.

both gays ?

Guest guest

Some of my friends were saying, air stewards and stewardess are just a nice name. They are actually waiters and waitresses working in the air. New generations no longer want to do such job.

Guest Guest

SQ crew requirements used to be min A level / Diploma but after covid, they lower it to O level or ITE Higher Nitec.

To be very honest, I’d much prefer an average looking crew with excellent service vs a good looking one with average service. 

Guest Guest
57 minutes ago, Guest Guest said:

SQ crew requirements used to be min A level / Diploma but after covid, they lower it to O level or ITE Higher Nitec.

Bcos e new generation no longer wan take up such job.

• 1 month later...

Since the pandemic, the tourism industry has been severely impacted. Even now, most airlines have not been able to restore their routes to previous levels. Many flight attendants were ruthlessly laid off by their companies during those difficult times. Both industry insiders and outsiders no longer have the same aspirations for the airline industry as before. A female friend of mine, who previously worked for SQ, said the turnover rate has been particularly high recently because the number of people leaving continues to increase.

Hardly get a boner looking at the guys or gals. I usually fly biz sometimes first. Even there the quality not very gd.

service wise decent not the best. The gulf airlines are much better.

things were much better pre pandemic

On 6/17/2024 at 12:44 PM, lightsmith32 said:

Hardly get a boner looking at the guys or gals. I usually fly biz sometimes first. Even there the quality not very gd.

service wise decent not the best. The gulf airlines are much better.

things were much better pre pandemic

I wouldn't agree. 

What dropped in quality with SQ is the business lounge in Singapore ...

On flights the SQ business crew was always slightly older than the age of the economy crew. This even before Covid. 

"Gulf" Airlines often come with a huge contrast in the service level of flights from/to Europe or flights from/to SEA. 

My experience differs here. 

Edited by singalion

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.