Male HQ

Video: PM Lee Hsien Loong: Section 377A forever a sensitive issue requiring tone to be set by Government

In two wide-ranging media interviews at the Istana on 26 and 28 April 2024 ahead of his handover to Deputy Prime Minister Lawrence Wong on 15 May 2024, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong spoke about Section 377A which criminalised sex between men and which Parliament repealed in 2022.
Transcript:
"And the have been other issues we have been dealing with too during these twenty years like 377A, like the tudung issue, which in the way we dealt with it enabled us to understand each other better and to accept each other's differences and respect each other and work out practical arrangements for that. But to say after this we can fly solo, the government doesn't need, can take hands off the steering wheel or the controls and it will look after itself, I don't think so, never. It's not possible because these issues are forever sensitive ones and you need to have limits to the discussion. You need to have that tone set by the government and if we are going to have to take a, make a major move, for example, on tudung for nurses or decriminalising male homosexuality, if the government doesn't make it, it's not going to happen or it is going to happen in a very chaotic and very contentious way. So I think that it's better for the government to guide it, allow more discussions, allow freer exchange of views, and you can allow more liberal practice too, but I think we have to handle this with very great care."

Links:

https://the-singapore-lgbt-encyclopaedia.fandom.com/wiki/Section_377A_of_the_Penal_Code_(Singapore)

https://the-singapore-lgbt-encyclopaedia.fandom.com/wiki/Lee_Hsien_Loong's_views_on_homosexuality

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.