Male HQ

workout tips!

helloo i was wondering if anyone is able to give some work out tips if i want to work out at home (mainly focusing on fat loss rather than muscle gain) 

thank youu🙏🙏

6 minutes ago, Thatguy642 said:

The more muscle you have the more calories you’ll burn, if you want to just focus 100% on cardio I believe you’ll start to become skinny fat which is probably not what you want!

I’m not a personal trainer or super fit/jacked by any means, but I do have a bit of experience gaining and losing weight so here’s what I know.

to lose weight:

16/8 intermittent fasting is a godsend, I lost 4kg within the past month or so just by limiting my eating period. I start my first meal at 12pm and end at 8pm and strictly don’t have any food or sweet drinks (basically any calories) before and after, with the exception of black coffee to start my day which has negligible calories. Keep at it and you’ll lose weight. I’m on 2 meals a day plus a protein bar and shake to keep up the protein levels.

I also highly recommend doing some form of body weight exercises, because as mentioned muscle not only makes you look better (in my humble opinion) but also burns more calories at rest, so total fat loss will be faster. Body weight stuff you can try is push ups, squats, stuff like that. If you have a pull up bar close to home, that’s amazing as well!

but the basic gist of it is

calories out > calories in = weight loss.

to gain muscle, you need to have a good amount of protein, I aim for about 1.7x my body weight in kg, so I’m at 70 now and aim for 120g at least.

if you break it down it’s pretty simple theoretically, but life gets in the way sometimes and it’s hard for me to stay as consistent as I’d like to be, but keep at it and you’ll see results for sure.

omg!! thank you so much for these tips!! 

js saw your profile pic and i hv to say youre pretty ripped and hot yourself!

anyways, i rlly wanna thank you for all the tips you gave :D 

1 hour ago, jcboy18 said:

omg!! thank you so much for these tips!! 

js saw your profile pic and i hv to say youre pretty ripped and hot yourself!

anyways, i rlly wanna thank you for all the tips you gave :D 

No problem! Far from ripped but thank you. Would just like to say that you can read all these fitness tips all you want, but what makes the most difference is actually getting down and doing it. Consistency is key! Good luck :) 

Just now, Thatguy642 said:

No problem! Far from ripped but thank you. Would just like to say that you can read all these fitness tips all you want, but what makes the most difference is actually getting down and doing it. Consistency is key! Good luck :) 

yessir!! will definitely try to stay as consistent with these tips :)) trying to get a hot bod before my graduation and prom hehe

Fat loss is cardio run or climb up stairs n come down using lift or raw honey empty stomach with warm water not HOT water. 

Using tights or belt can also help when u doing cardio run or home army style workout. 

My recommendation for u is to go out n go any fitness corner n exercise there or walk around the park....so your mind is relax too. 

6 hours ago, MasterFitMalaySG4U said:

Fat loss is cardio run or climb up stairs n come down using lift or raw honey empty stomach with warm water not HOT water. 

Using tights or belt can also help when u doing cardio run or home army style workout. 

My recommendation for u is to go out n go any fitness corner n exercise there or walk around the park....so your mind is relax too. 

oooo alright!! thanks for the reccs and tips!!

Perhaps giving more info on your current stats and background/lifestyle may help narrow out more relevant responses. I'd focus my efforts more on my diet rather than my exercise regimen if fat loss was the main goal with minimal concern for adding muscle. Get familiar with the concept of 'calorie density' and see how you can apply it to your current diet, gradually. We want it to be sustainable! Swap white rice or mee for potatoes, or ask for sauce to be served separately if eating out, for instance. A big one is avoiding liquid calories. These do not give as much of satiety cues to our bodies, meaning we take in more calories if not careful.

At home, I agree that bodyweight exercises (squats and push ups; pull ups and dips with minimal equipment) is effective. They are compound movements that burns more calories for each unit of time spent. Go for easier versions if you're a true beginner. As long as you're challenging yourself (you feel winded, exhausted), it's bound to make changes.

I also highly recommend you try HIIT training. Even better you do HIIT training with weights/dumbbells. Plenty of weighted HIIT circuits on Youtube which you can follow along.

Again I repeat, for fat loss, what you eat is way more important than what kind of workout you do.

38 minutes ago, anxiousfriedtofu said:

Perhaps giving more info on your current stats and background/lifestyle may help narrow out more relevant responses. I'd focus my efforts more on my diet rather than my exercise regimen if fat loss was the main goal with minimal concern for adding muscle. Get familiar with the concept of 'calorie density' and see how you can apply it to your current diet, gradually. We want it to be sustainable! Swap white rice or mee for potatoes, or ask for sauce to be served separately if eating out, for instance. A big one is avoiding liquid calories. These do not give as much of satiety cues to our bodies, meaning we take in more calories if not careful.

At home, I agree that bodyweight exercises (squats and push ups; pull ups and dips with minimal equipment) is effective. They are compound movements that burns more calories for each unit of time spent. Go for easier versions if you're a true beginner. As long as you're challenging yourself (you feel winded, exhausted), it's bound to make changes.

I also highly recommend you try HIIT training. Even better you do HIIT training with weights/dumbbells. Plenty of weighted HIIT circuits on Youtube which you can follow along.

Again I repeat, for fat loss, what you eat is way more important than what kind of workout you do.

ooo alright!!! thanks for the tips and advice!! will keep them in mind :))

On 5/25/2024 at 12:15 PM, jcboy18 said:

helloo i was wondering if anyone is able to give some work out tips if i want to work out at home (mainly focusing on fat loss rather than muscle gain) 

thank youu🙏🙏

give the One-Punch Man routine a go, worked for me. from 74kg to 65kg in 3months, i got to see my abs faintly(belly fat reduced alot), but i got the coveted V- line 🤩

Start small.

I only did runs on weekends morning. 

I do the sit-ups, squats and push-ups from 10pm onwards, with warm up/cool downs, bath by 11pm and a good night's rest, consistency is key.

"KNOWLEDGE will be your passport to WHEREVER you want to go in the world." - Marco Pierre White

"Taste. Savor. Relish." - Chef Slowik (The Menu, 2022)

11 minutes ago, 1potato2potato said:

give the One-Punch Man routine a go, worked for me. from 74kg to 65kg in 3months, i got to see my abs faintly(belly fat reduced alot), but i got the coveted V- line 🤩

Start small.

I only did runs on weekends morning. 

I do the sit-ups, squats and push-ups from 10pm onwards, with warm up/cool downs, bath by 11pm and a good night's rest, consistency is key.

thanks!!! will def try it out ahaha

I second thatguy642’s advice regarding intermittent fasting and resistance training for weight loss - I’ve done both and they work better than exerting yourself doing high intensity cardio like running. There was a period of about six months when I tried getting leaner simply by going for Long runs 4 times a week - like 15-24km Long. I did lose weight and gain stamina but also ironically looked flabbier because I was losing muscle mass. I was also not watching what I ate since psychologically I assumed I was burning so many calories a day that I could eat whatever I wanted, which was a mistake.

Diet is the most fundamental aspect of weight loss and I have to say that Singapore is a terrible place to be to follow a healthy diet. Tasty and cheap food (all local food pretty much) is basically all carbs and fat and little protein, not to mention how much of social life is built around the enjoyment of food. You’re still in school so I assume you live with family; that can be tricky if they don’t support your decision to eat healthy because you have to eat whatever they cook. But I recommend upping your protein intake and cutting most carbs out of your diet - minimise any rice or noodles and bread and definitely all liquid calories. Cheapest protein sources are canned tuna chunks in water and the whole roast chicken from many supermarket delis.

You’re also young and that is the best time to start building muscle because your testosterone levels are naturally high and you will prep them for your adult life - as you get older, starting strength training becomes harder and the results less obvious than if you start now. You can join an ActiveSG gym for very reasonable student rates, just go to any community centre with a gym and ask.

sometimes family, strangely enough can be the biggest hurdle when it comes to pursuing a fit lifestyle - they’re always buying back roti prata and being suspicious when you’re suddenly all about exercising. It was for me - I had to hide the fact I was exercising and changing my diet when I was 14, I even threw snacks and cakes away secretly to make it look like I was still eating them or my parents would’ve gotten suspicious. They also did not like the idea of me going to the gym because ‘the gays’ go there (they weren’t wrong!). Now of course many more straight guys are into working out too so maybe that perception has changed. For workout tips, you have the best resource at your fingertips now - youtube. 

Enjoy the process and know that youth is on your side! 

3 hours ago, Strange Fruit said:

I second thatguy642’s advice regarding intermittent fasting and resistance training for weight loss - I’ve done both and they work better than exerting yourself doing high intensity cardio like running. There was a period of about six months when I tried getting leaner simply by going for Long runs 4 times a week - like 15-24km Long. I did lose weight and gain stamina but also ironically looked flabbier because I was losing muscle mass. I was also not watching what I ate since psychologically I assumed I was burning so many calories a day that I could eat whatever I wanted, which was a mistake.

Diet is the most fundamental aspect of weight loss and I have to say that Singapore is a terrible place to be to follow a healthy diet. Tasty and cheap food (all local food pretty much) is basically all carbs and fat and little protein, not to mention how much of social life is built around the enjoyment of food. You’re still in school so I assume you live with family; that can be tricky if they don’t support your decision to eat healthy because you have to eat whatever they cook. But I recommend upping your protein intake and cutting most carbs out of your diet - minimise any rice or noodles and bread and definitely all liquid calories. Cheapest protein sources are canned tuna chunks in water and the whole roast chicken from many supermarket delis.

You’re also young and that is the best time to start building muscle because your testosterone levels are naturally high and you will prep them for your adult life - as you get older, starting strength training becomes harder and the results less obvious than if you start now. You can join an ActiveSG gym for very reasonable student rates, just go to any community centre with a gym and ask.

sometimes family, strangely enough can be the biggest hurdle when it comes to pursuing a fit lifestyle - they’re always buying back roti prata and being suspicious when you’re suddenly all about exercising. It was for me - I had to hide the fact I was exercising and changing my diet when I was 14, I even threw snacks and cakes away secretly to make it look like I was still eating them or my parents would’ve gotten suspicious. They also did not like the idea of me going to the gym because ‘the gays’ go there (they weren’t wrong!). Now of course many more straight guys are into working out too so maybe that perception has changed. For workout tips, you have the best resource at your fingertips now - youtube. 

Enjoy the process and know that youth is on your side! 

thank you for the advice!! rlly appreciate it :))

On 5/25/2024 at 9:45 AM, jcboy18 said:

thank youu🙏🙏

For fat loss at home, focus on high-intensity interval training (HIIT) which alternates short bursts of intense exercise with low-intensity recovery periods. It’s efficient and doesn’t require equipment. Also, consider bodyweight exercises like squats, push-ups, and lunges.

I was near to 82kg at Mid March. Right now, beginning of June, I am hovering around 77-78kg.

What I did: (This is my plan and i will adjust when it is progressed. You should have yours too) 

On my diet: eat clean and simple, run a calorie deficit, and no processed food.

1. I find eating soft-boiled eggs helps a lot. I try to eat 3 soft-boiled eggs after gym and another 3 soft-boiled eggs between 3-4 pm.

2. Lunch time. Rice is 100gram and Sweet Potato is 100gram. Protein is approx 150gram - 200gram and Veggie is approx 50-150gram

3. No Rice for Dinner; eat spinach soup (Veggies is approx 50-100 gram)  and 100-150 grams of protein. 

On Excercise:

Previously Weight Gym, right now switch to Resistance Band due to my age

AM is approx 40-60 mins Resistance Band and 10-15 mins Elliptical

PM is approx 30-40 mins Resistance Band.

5 Gym Day and 1 Cardio Day or 3 Gym Day and 1 Cardio Day.

Gym Day will focus following

Gym 1: Biceps and Triceps

Gym 2: Chest and Traps

Gym 3: Shoulder Backs

Gym 4: Core and Forearm

Gym 5: Leg and Calf.

Cardio Day: Elliptical or Swiiming for 25-30 mins

Approx 2.5 months, I managed to cut down 4-5kg. I can see my upper body is toned up and A bit shrinking in belly and handles.

I always share my daily exercise report with friends as part of my motivation. 

18 hours ago, Alibaba789258 said:

I was near to 82kg at Mid March. Right now, beginning of June, I am hovering around 77-78kg.

What I did: (This is my plan and i will adjust when it is progressed. You should have yours too) 

1. I find eating soft-boiled eggs helps a lot. I try to eat 3 soft-boiled eggs after gym and another 3 soft-boiled eggs between 3-4 pm.

2. Lunch time. Rice is 100gram and Sweet Potato is 100gram. Protein is approx 150gram - 200gram and Veggie is approx 50-150gram

3. No Rice for Dinner; eat spinach soup (Veggies is approx 50-100 gram)  and 100-150 grams of protein. 

On Excercise:

Approx 2.5 months, I managed to cut down 4-5kg. I can see my upper body is toned up and A bit shrinking in belly and handles.

Good job and thanks for sharing your exercising tips 👏🏻

On 6/4/2024 at 7:16 PM, thimas said:

For fat loss at home, focus on high-intensity interval training (HIIT) which alternates short bursts of intense exercise with low-intensity recovery periods. It’s efficient and doesn’t require equipment. Also, consider bodyweight exercises like squats, push-ups, and lunges.

ooo okay!! thank youu

On 6/4/2024 at 9:30 PM, Alibaba789258 said:

On Excercise:

thank you for these tips!!!! 

• 3 weeks later...

For starters, HIIT can be fantastic for burning fat. There are lots of routines online that require no equipment at all. You might also want to include some bodyweight exercises like squats, lunges, push-ups, and planks. These can help you stay fit and trim without needing any special gear.

Cardio exercises are also super helpful. Activities like jumping jacks, burpees, or even just dancing around your living room can get your heart rate up and burn calories. The key is consistency, so try to aim for at least 20 to 30 minutes of exercise most days of the week.

In case you’re still hunting for more info, I found some popular steroids for sale at fitnflexed.com.

Edited by gabriellewhite

On 6/10/2024 at 7:16 PM, thimas said:

Did you start and just collecting tips?

ive already slowly started, and just wanted to hear the second opinions of those who have more experience in working out and dieting :)

On 6/30/2024 at 6:52 PM, gabriellewhite said:

For starters, HIIT can be fantastic for burning fat. There are lots of routines online that require no equipment at all. You might also want to include some bodyweight exercises like squats, lunges, push-ups, and planks. These can help you stay fit and trim without needing any special gear.

ooooo okays!! thank you for the recc :D 

2 hours ago, abcwater said:

the best tip is: just start, don't wait. 

yeap!! definitely ahaha

ive slowly started so im just collecting more opinions :))

• 2 weeks later...

Working out at home for fat loss is totally doable. Focus on exercises that get your heart rate up, like jumping jacks, high knees, or bodyweight circuits. I found that setting a schedule and sticking to it really helps—consistency is key!If you're looking for guidance, Exercise.com has some great resources for home workouts that target fat loss. They offer tips on effective exercises and even full workout plans you can follow from home. It's been really helpful for me in staying on track with my fitness goals.

Edited by janamacon

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.