Male HQ

My doctor recommend I take shingles vaccinations

Guest Still thinking

Guest Still thinking

My doctor recommend I take shingles vaccinations.  He said it is a precautionary measure, just like taking Covit Jab.  First time about it.  Is Shingles vaccinations a MUST HAVE for human to prevent future infection?

3 hours ago, Guest Still thinking said:

My doctor recommend I take shingles vaccinations.  He said it is a precautionary measure, just like taking Covit Jab.  First time about it.  Is Shingles vaccinations a MUST HAVE for human to prevent future infection?

The Shingrix vaccine is quite effective, it is administered in two doses.  It is not cheap but it is worth the cost.  Especially for the elder and those who have a stressful life.  (  the shingles virus gets released through stress )  I got it done years ago, and so far so good...

Those who are keen & can wait a little longer might wanna hold on for a little longer, I heard govt is going to include shingle vaccination into the national subsidy scheme. 

32 minutes ago, bwf15 said:

A year ago, I checked the price with a GP. Was told it is about $800+. Has anyone taken it before and what was the cost of this vaccination?

It is about S$985 per jab and you need 2 jabs. No subsidies, cannot pay w Medisave for now. I hope this will change later.

You have risk of catching shingles if you have had chicken pox before. Perhaps, the medical professionals here can comment on this topic better.

Guest Still thinking

Oh!! didn't know Shingles jab is so expensive.  I thought it was normal jab costing just a couple bucks.  No wonder my doctor "recommended".  Yikes!!!!

20 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

the shingles virus gets released through stress

hmmmm....stress caused Shingles?  I thought it was some kind of infectious diseases through....sex, kissing or simply hugging someone.

Guest shingles

Once you had chicken pox as a kid, the virus remains forever in your body. When you become old or are under stress (and also if your immune system is weakened), the virus may get re-activated and produces shingles. The vaccination prevents this.

1 hour ago, Guest Still thinking said:

Oh!! didn't know Shingles jab is so expensive.  I thought it was normal jab costing just a couple bucks.  No wonder my doctor "recommended".  Yikes!!!!

hmmmm....stress caused Shingles?  I thought it was some kind of infectious diseases through....sex, kissing or simply hugging someone.

Guest Still thinking...  keep thinking.  The cost that has been posted here is... ridiculous!   In the US I paid much less,  like $170 or so.  If you are not under much stress, which you should avoid anyway, and your have a good lifestyle with strong immune system,  your risk is low.   You can wait until your government subsidizes the vaccine.

Guest Guest
10 hours ago, bluerunner said:

It is about S$985 per jab and you need 2 jabs. No subsidies, cannot pay w Medisave for now. I hope this will change later.

You have risk of catching shingles if you have had chicken pox before. Perhaps, the medical professionals here can comment on this topic better.

2 doses about $880. Where did you got the price that it is $985 per jab?

Guest Guest
10 hours ago, echoss63 said:

Was told by my GP the cost is now $300 per dose. Need to complete 2 doses. 

It is Shingrix? Now the price dropped to $300 per dose, consider cheap. Shingles vaccine only 50 year old and above can take. Even though 50 year old below can also take but doctor does not seems want to give you the vaccine if you are 50 year old and below. Cause i went to one GP asking to take shingles vaccine when i was around 40 plus but doctor told me cannot take the jab.

Guest Guest
On 6/8/2024 at 6:08 PM, Guest Still thinking said:

Are u really that old to need a shingles vaccine ?

Guest Ageist?
2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Cause i went to one GP asking to take shingles vaccine when i was around 40 plus but doctor told me cannot take the jab.

He didn't want u to waste your money, can delay better, so as to make the jab worth it's value ?

I don't understand the logic. Can someone elaborate?

Guest Guest
22 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Are u really that old to need a shingles vaccine ?

Shingles can happens to any age.

Guest Guest
21 hours ago, Guest Ageist? said:

He didn't want u to waste your money, can delay better, so as to make the jab worth it's value ?

I don't understand the logic. Can someone elaborate?

Maybe. Or maybe the doctor afraid to take responsible if he gives me the jab and something happened to me, since the recommendation for shingles jab is 50 year old and above.

However, i know people who got shingles in their 30s and 40s.

The shingles vaccine provides protection for approximately 7-10 years. If you believe your immune system is still robust at age 50, you might consider delaying the vaccination. While the recommended age for vaccination is generally around 60 and older, these guidelines can change with new medical findings.

In my personal observation, it is reasonable for individuals without weakened immune systems due to illness or chronic stress to wait until age 65 or even after 70 for the vaccination. However, this is just my opinion, and if you are uncertain, it is advisable to consult a doctor.

Guest Guest
4 hours ago, mate69 said:

Are those who are much more sexually active more prone to getting shingles?

How come getting shingles got to do with sexually active or not?

It's true. Shingles could happen to anyone. I got it at a young age and am i considering taking because apparently, it doesn't kill off and if you're stress or have a low immunity. It will resurface again especially if you have gotten it before. That's what my doc told me.

Guest Anti-inflammation
2 hours ago, Hello.Massage said:

It's true. Shingles could happen to anyone. I got it at a young age and am i considering taking because apparently, it doesn't kill off and if you're stress or have a low immunity. It will resurface again especially if you have gotten it before. That's what my doc told me.

Very expensive.  I try to take more vitamin C.

I got shingles during covid cause I was working from 10-2/3am everyday. Yes that includes weekend cause my company was going through a lot of restructuring. I got too stressed, my immunity dropped and voila got shingles. It was one of the most annoying thing that has ever happened to me - not the pain, but the itch. Had to distract myself during my 2 week MC with lots of netflix so I don’t mindlessly scratch them. 

On 6/8/2024 at 6:08 PM, Guest Still thinking said:

The shingle cases seem to be on rise here... 

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Guest
On 6/21/2024 at 1:09 AM, singalion said:

The shingle cases seem to be on rise here... 

On the rise is above 50 year old or below 50 year old?

Guest Guest
18 minutes ago, cbm said:

I feel that I need to share the link to the shingles vaccine info page on HealthHub website.

https://www.healthhub.sg/a-z/medications/shingles-herpes-zoster-vaccine

I don't understand why they recommended the vaccine is for older adults which is 50 year old and above. There are also many people who got shingles below 50 year old and some got it quite badly.

4 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

I don't understand why they recommended the vaccine is for older adults which is 50 year old and above. There are also many people who got shingles below 50 year old and some got it quite badly.

You can read this research paper. I am not an expert, but I believe it has something to do with preventing postherpetic neuralgia for those over 50.

One of the complications from having shingles is postherpetic neuralgia. It occurs in approximately 20% of patients with herpes zoster and 80% of cases occur in patients 50 years or older. 

I'm guessing the decision makers were looking at statistics and risk factors and decided that younger persons below 50 who get shingles can be treated with antiviral medicine; and there is less risk of this age group getting postherpetic neuralgia from shingles.

https://www.aafp.org/pubs/afp/issues/2017/1115/p656.html#postherpetic-neuralgia

Guest Yike!!
4 hours ago, cbm said:

I believe it has something to do with preventing postherpetic neuralgia for those over 50.

Who the fxxk wants to have such prevention, whether they are above or below 50, if the price of immunization is excessive for one or two shots?   Why doesn't the government subsidize those over 50 or even permit the use of Medisave, if it is so necessary?   The state's actions either demonstrate the effectiveness of the vaccination or show that it cares very little about the welfare of the populace.

21 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

On the rise is above 50 year old or below 50 year old?

The news says there about 30,000 cases per year.

Shingles seems to develop more frequent from persons who had chickenpox in their youth because the virus remains in the body. It seems to affect more people above 50y (but there is no golden rule!).

First just check whether you had chickenpox when young.

Here a good overview:

https://www.rafflesmedicalgroup.com/health-resources/health-articles/what-is-shingles-and-how-common-is-it/

It is better to seek advice from a doctor on the vaccinations as immunocompromised persons are recommended not to take one of the vaccines (Zoservax).

As usual and as pointed out by other persons, it is difficult to give any advice online as nobody knows your personal medical situation!

Guest Guest
4 hours ago, Guest Yike!! said:

Who the fxxk wants to have such prevention, whether they are above or below 50, if the price of immunization is excessive for one or two shots?   Why doesn't the government subsidize those over 50 or even permit the use of Medisave, if it is so necessary?   The state's actions either demonstrate the effectiveness of the vaccination or show that it cares very little about the welfare of the populace.

That's why not many people take the shingles vaccine, or none take.

9 hours ago, cbm said:

You can read this research paper. I am not an expert, but I believe it has something to do with preventing postherpetic neuralgia for those over 50.

One of the complications from having shingles is postherpetic neuralgia. It occurs in approximately 20% of patients with herpes zoster and 80% of cases occur in patients 50 years or older. 

I'm guessing the decision makers were looking at statistics and risk factors and decided that younger persons below 50 who get shingles can be treated with antiviral medicine; and there is less risk of this age group getting postherpetic neuralgia from shingles.

https://www.aafp.org/pubs/afp/issues/2017/1115/p656.html#postherpetic-neuralgia

For people above 50y it can cause various side effects, not just posttherpetic neuralgia but also blindness and lead to death if other areas are compromised (lung infection etc) .

The background is just that the immune system with people above 50 y is simply weaker and the older the worse...

The other reason will be that shingles is easily transmitted. That means one grandparent has it, then the next...

Edited by singalion

4 hours ago, Guest Yike!! said:

Unfortunately, this is the wrong forum to address such matters...

The non live vaccine seems to have 97.2% effectiveness...

As usual, there aren't many options, so the vaccines are expensive.

Guest Guest
9 hours ago, singalion said:

Unfortunately, this is the wrong forum to address such matters...

The non live vaccine seems to have 97.2% effectiveness...

As usual, there aren't many options, so the vaccines are expensive.

Around $800 for 2 doses of the vaccine, don't think there are many people taking it. Even rich people also would not pay for it.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.