Male HQ

Home NAS recommendation

Guest guest

stick to the reputable brands like synology or qnap, i learned the hard way, bought a cheaper Asustor but it is problematic.

For HDD, buy those that are rated for NAS (for eg WD Red series)

Oh oh I have something to contribute. Make sure that you buy CMR disk and not SMR. Many "nas" disk are now marketed for NAS even though they are SMR. E.g. WD Red vs WD Red Pro series.^1 If you aren't doing anything too fancy SMR is cheaper for the space it gives, but if you are planning to do RAID (other than RAID1 i guess), CMR is important to ensure that your array don't fail when rebuilding. I am not so sure about ZFS but some cursory read on Reddit suggests it will be bad too.^2

If you are based in Singapore, please don't buy from China sellers. They tend to replace the circuit board and resell old bad drives and/or wipe the SMART info to trick you into thinking its new. I recommend to not played with important data! You can try to look at disk price per TB ^3 and then search up model numbers and their reviews.

Depending on what is your use case, perhaps a simple ARM SBC might be enough for you. Just make sure that it has at least gigabit connection (if that is important to you). Arm does have better power consumption compared to x86. But I guess if you want a windows server you probably still have to get and x86 computer/server. End of the day you gotta ask yourself what you want, cos if you want everything your budget gotta be sky high HAHA.

Good luck!~

1. https://www.pcgamer.com/wd-rebrands-its-red-hard-drives-after-getting-hit-with-a-lawsuit/
  2. https://www.reddit.com/r/zfs/comments/ulolsq/zfs_on_smr_drives/
  3. https://diskprices.com/

15 hours ago, allenyoung said:

Any iT expert havung good suggestion for brand / model / HDD (brand) for NAS ?  And if to build one ~ what to look out for (tip n trick).

I have been using Synology NAS with Seagate Ironwolf HDD for the past 4 years without any issue. 

Synology's OS, DiskStation Manager is updated frequently.

For the model, it depends on how many HDD you're planning to run, and what you're trying to do with the NAS.

On 6/24/2024 at 8:56 PM, Guest guest said:

stick to the reputable brands like synology or qnap, i learned the hard way, bought a cheaper Asustor but it is problematic.

For HDD, buy those that are rated for NAS (for eg WD Red series)

Heard wd does crash more often ~ was recommended to buy Seagate ~

• 2 weeks later...

2 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

While this new is exciting, I do not think it will be ready for consumer level usage in the near future.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.