Male HQ

The Boyfriend on Netflix

Finally found the time to sit through the 6 episodes, so wanted to catch it earlier...

Anyway, I believe I share similar thoughts to some of you regarding this show. By first impression, I like Taeheon, Dai and Kazuto, in that order. Gensei and Shun were not bad either, but Shun's character should really be difficult to find a partner? (If he continues on like a "princess")

Came across Usak's IG many times, but he was pretty much a 'gentle giant', something I wouldn't have expected him to be, and it was really sad to see him leave. However, at least he achieved his 'mission' before leaving!

Ryota was fine while Alan I find him too 'loud' to my liking, haha. Ikuo just came, need to see more of him eh...

I think both Taeheon & Kazuto were away quite a bit during the show (I suppose it was due to work?), so didn't see much of them especially Taeheon, which I think had the least onscreen exposure - even the latest picnic he was not there. I hope the next few episodes he could be present and show more of him 'at work' eh, he definitely looks like a good 'catch', haha.

Happy - is what we should be, always.

Notice: I DO NOT use the Chat Function in this Forum - this has always been written in my profile (and I don't read it too).

{it is unfortunate that this new Chat Function does not allow users to turn/switch off in mobile phone}

I'm starting to like Dai quite a lot, but I dun really see him with Shun, it's going to be hard on him. 🥲

Kazuto and his harem are a bit boring, but I'm glad he made it clear to Ikuo and Ryota, but I dun really see him with Alan either. I still prefer KazutoxUsak 😇 

I dun really understand what he said to Ikuo, I mean of cos we act differently in front of others vs in front of the one we like.

I like the discussion of coming out to your parents scene (similar to the fantastic Jenga scene in His Man Season 2). Finally Taeheon got more screentime 🥰 but too bad still no one for him 😔

The ending kiss scene is very well done though, the right amount of tension then explosion, very drama 😂

Kazuto clearly wasn't into Ryota. Not sure why he wasn't more direct with him the 1st few times round but I think Ikuo made him realize he needed to put a stop to all these lingering feelings. I understood what he meant when he said he needed time to get to know a person. When Ikuo and Alan immediately talked about how much they fell in love with Kazuto, it felt like physical attraction at best.

While that kiss was squeal-inducing, I loved Dai's conversation with Ikuo where he articulated how he would not let himself be taken for granted. Shun needed to know that it's not Dai's one sided efforts that will save this relationship. That said, I'm proud of how Shun apologized for making Dai sad but he only managed to do that after talking to the GOAT...... Taeheon.

Love Love Love how Taeheon told Shun that it was ok to say no even if he was in a relationship. It was ok to acknowledge that the feelings of your partner is hurt and apologize to them instead of forcing yourself to go along or give a superficial apology to tide things over. Taeheon was in a totally different headspace from any of these contestants. It was sad to see that he was clearly wrestling with his own feelings of inadequacy in front of his family. For the last 2 episodes, I hoped he's not forced into any obligatory pairing but rather find the peace that he needed. He is absolutely charming on his IG. That smile, those eyes. 😳

Guest Guest

The way Dai laughs ... very cute.

Not sure if Dai and Shun are still together, in this day 2024. 🙄

Guest Guest
9 hours ago, StockBottom said:

I'm starting to like Dai quite a lot, but I dun really see him with Shun, it's going to be hard on him. 🥲

Kazuto and his harem are a bit boring, but I'm glad he made it clear to Ikuo and Ryota, but I dun really see him with Alan either. I still prefer KazutoxUsak 😇 

I dun really understand what he said to Ikuo, I mean of cos we act differently in front of others vs in front of the one we like.

I like the discussion of coming out to your parents scene (similar to the fantastic Jenga scene in His Man Season 2). Finally Taeheon got more screentime 🥰 but too bad still no one for him 😔

The ending kiss scene is very well done though, the right amount of tension then explosion, very drama 😂

Why Kazuto liked Alan ah? Introvert X Extrovert ... I assume ... can this usually work in a relationship?

Guest Guest
2 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Why Kazuto liked Alan ah? Introvert X Extrovert ... I assume ... can this usually work in a relationship?

I thought Kazuto already told Alan that though he was interested at first, he felt like the feeling has become just friends after the overnight date. 

Wonder if they have sex during the overnight date. I mean, you dun need love to have sex.

weirdly, i'm kinda bored of the show and can't wait for it to end. perhaps it's because of the #daishun obsession online till the point that twitter detectives are taking the fun outta it or maybe how everyone is just tryna get with Kazuto. Things feel imbalanced and I'm kinda over it lol. Still absolutely love the peanut gallery commentators. 

Guest Guest
2 hours ago, bigboyclubsg said:

weirdly, i'm kinda bored of the show and can't wait for it to end. perhaps it's because of the #daishun obsession online till the point that twitter detectives are taking the fun outta it or maybe how everyone is just tryna get with Kazuto. Things feel imbalanced and I'm kinda over it lol. Still absolutely love the peanut gallery commentators. 

Havent watched episode 7 and 8, so is there any love interest for Taeheon? I’d really love to see more of him.

I love the show but I’m also bored of the Dai & Shun focus. Yes the commentators are a great addition to the show, they are spot on with their analysis and I actually find the drag queen cute when he’s out of his drag queen mode.

On 7/17/2024 at 6:51 PM, Guest Guest said:

Wonder how the Singapore version is like (if there is or will be one by Netflix, Disney+ etc.)? All will speak Singlish ah and won't be so polite and mild mannered like the Japanese guys? 😆

Hahaha The Boyfriend Singapore - half the looks, twice the drama. 

4 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Havent watched episode 7 and 8, so is there any love interest for Taeheon? I’d really love to see more of him.

I love the show but I’m also bored of the Dai & Shun focus. Yes the commentators are a great addition to the show, they are spot on with their analysis and I actually find the drag queen cute when he’s out of his drag queen mode.

they still sleeping on taeheon

Guest guest

Guess that's how life is, especially gay life. Sometimes great guys like Taeheon are completely overlooked in favour of emo drama types like Shun or loud aggressive types like Alan, Dai.

But tbh, Taeheon gets so little screentime, we barely know anything about him.

Anyway a lot of what we see is scripted la, e.g. the Usak episode. His whole sudden interest then departure thing like not very convincing.

yeah i'm super exhausted by the push and pull of Shun/Dai. I feel like in the real world, Shun's antics would be a major red flag despite whatever trauma he has gone through. It just feels like straight up shitty behaviour but in the utopia of the Green Room, there is a lot of leeway for trying to understanding his innerworkings.

Guest Guest
19 minutes ago, Guest guest said:

Guess that's how life is, especially gay life. Sometimes great guys like Taeheon are completely overlooked in favour of emo drama types like Shun or loud aggressive types like Alan, Dai.

But tbh, Taeheon gets so little screentime, we barely know anything about him.

Anyway a lot of what we see is scripted la, e.g. the Usak episode. His whole sudden interest then departure thing like not very convincing.

I guess cos Taeheon is Korean, they secretly hate each other. Probably cast him in the name of diversity and since he looks good too. 

Many things are scripted - one I can think of is the part Kazuto flipped the booklet revealing Usak’s drawings. Like come on, so coincidental? Flip booklet during dinner? Roll my eyes when he act surprised, and the other guys probably have to play along. 

Guest Guest

Is Gensei Taiwanese? Not ethnically Japanese? Maybe that's why no one seems to be interested in him too. I think Ryota is just using Gensei as a spare tyre now, after getting rejected by Shun and then Kazuto LOL.

Guest Guest

Is there such a guy like Shun in real life (not scripted / acted)? I mean in the local Singapore context? 😅😬😬

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

Is Gensei Taiwanese? Not ethnically Japanese? Maybe that's why no one seems to be interested in him too. I think Ryota is just using Gensei as a spare tyre now, after getting rejected by Shun and then Kazuto LOL.

Yes he’s taiwanese, he‘s more like a 姐妹 than lover/crush 🤣.

In fact him and Ryota are more of those friends that you’ll feel comfortable with and can pour your heart out but unlikely to have romantic attraction to them

I think Japanese guys are bolder in their approach now. The way they express themselves is quite eye-opening on tv. I was approached by a cute Japanese guy while I was looking at clothes in Japan. He spoke to me in Japanese, and I told him I wasn't Japanese and smiled at him.

4 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

thought it was sad that their date has the lowest budget of the 3 pairs. really? a cafe and glass workshop? The producers clearly thought there were no drama to be mined from their date unlike DaixShun & KazutoxAlan.

On 7/24/2024 at 12:08 AM, ziurtis said:

Kazuto clearly wasn't into Ryota. Not sure why he wasn't more direct with him the 1st few times round but I think Ikuo made him realize he needed to put a stop to all these lingering feelings. I understood what he meant when he said he needed time to get to know a person. When Ikuo and Alan immediately talked about how much they fell in love with Kazuto, it felt like physical attraction at best.

While that kiss was squeal-inducing, I loved Dai's conversation with Ikuo where he articulated how he would not let himself be taken for granted. Shun needed to know that it's not Dai's one sided efforts that will save this relationship. That said, I'm proud of how Shun apologized for making Dai sad but he only managed to do that after talking to the GOAT...... Taeheon.

Love Love Love how Taeheon told Shun that it was ok to say no even if he was in a relationship. It was ok to acknowledge that the feelings of your partner is hurt and apologize to them instead of forcing yourself to go along or give a superficial apology to tide things over. Taeheon was in a totally different headspace from any of these contestants. It was sad to see that he was clearly wrestling with his own feelings of inadequacy in front of his family. For the last 2 episodes, I hoped he's not forced into any obligatory pairing but rather find the peace that he needed. He is absolutely charming on his IG. That smile, those eyes. 😳

I felt that there were quite a lot of 'talking' to clear the air, which was good, such as Kazuto and Dai/Shun pair. Indeed, Taeheon was such a charm to advice Shun, but just this little bit more screentime, together with the coming out conversation (which was equally a good conversation in the group for sure).

[still find inadequate screentime for Taeheon... *sigh*]

As for the dates pairing... were they given something like 'what they wish for'? How come 1 pair didn't get to stay overnight elsewhere? Seems weird eh...

Well, not sure how much they could show more on Taeheon on the remaining episodes, just less of Dai/Shun pair and somehow getting 'tired' of Kazuto already (maybe more development on Ryota/Gensei pair would be good), haha.

Notice: I DO NOT use the Chat Function in this Forum - this has always been written in my profile (and I don't read it too).

{it is unfortunate that this new Chat Function does not allow users to turn/switch off in mobile phone}

Guest Incognito
On 7/19/2024 at 9:54 PM, bigboyclubsg said:

he sure was! apparently Usak too? 

I need all the tea on Usak's naughty vids too!!! I searched high and low but couldn't find any leads. Ironically I found K's past while looking for Usak's...

FmGlk0sacAUQu50.jpg:large

6 minutes ago, Guest Incognito said:

I need all the tea on Usak's naughty vids too!!! I searched high and low but couldn't find any leads. Ironically I found K's past while looking for Usak's...

FmGlk0sacAUQu50.jpg:large

i think we need access to JPN twitter for all that goodness hahaha

On 7/25/2024 at 12:48 AM, ziurtis said:

thought it was sad that their date has the lowest budget of the 3 pairs. really? a cafe and glass workshop? The producers clearly thought there were no drama to be mined from their date unlike DaixShun & KazutoxAlan.

15 hours ago, sphere said:

I felt that there were quite a lot of 'talking' to clear the air, which was good, such as Kazuto and Dai/Shun pair. Indeed, Taeheon was such a charm to advice Shun, but just this little bit more screentime, together with the coming out conversation (which was equally a good conversation in the group for sure).

[still find inadequate screentime for Taeheon... *sigh*]

As for the dates pairing... were they given something like 'what they wish for'? How come 1 pair didn't get to stay overnight elsewhere? Seems weird eh...

Well, not sure how much they could show more on Taeheon on the remaining episodes, just less of Dai/Shun pair and somehow getting 'tired' of Kazuto already (maybe more development on Ryota/Gensei pair would be good), haha.

I thot the producers made a good call as Ryota started considering Gensei only after K made his stand clear.  Hence gg for a “craft” type of workshop is a safe platform for them to get to know each other better esp with the film crew around. An overnight stay might be awkward at this point, but later … who knows?

K / Alan deve looks healthy to me at this point in that K says he prefers to slow down n learn more about each other first (whereas A had earlier wanted to deal with his physical attraction to K first 😅). Happy that A has compromised.  I somehow feel that none of the guys got K excited. I admit I am a mega-huge fan of K and cannot help wondering what type of person would get him super excited and throw caution to the wind 😅

I like Taehon’s looks and personality… though I see him more as someone I look up to (reliable, mature) as he is just too calm when n collected when he talks about stuff. Hope to see goofy side of him.

Edited by MikeC

Guest Guest

I think Kazuto is only interested in Usak, too bad he didnt choose him during the overnight date.

When Usak left, it's like half of Kazuto's soul left as well.

But many things are scripted so dun want to analyse it too much.

Anyway, they are seen in similar places, maybe dating in real life now.

spacer.png

GTWUeK6agAA_gfj.jpeg

Guest Guest
29 minutes ago, auden said:

Could somebody give the working link to Kazuto "Summer Love", please?

Better ask people to PM you, if not constitute as spreading prawn.

But bruh, its easily found online now leh, can even see on twitter

Guest Incognito
5 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

I think Kazuto is only interested in Usak, too bad he didnt choose him during the overnight date.

spacer.png

GTWUeK6agAA_gfj.jpeg

As much as I ship them, I still think Usak's appearance on the show is purely transactional. Production used him to hype up the show; since he was semi-famous (even more so now), and Usak got on the show to expand his fan base (for his job and maybe his OF). The way he entered and the way he left felt so predetermined. 

Ep1: Everyone got a normal intro. Usak got a really spicy intro with him wildly gyrating his pelvis (not that I had any complaints).

Ep5: Surprise departure. I doubt production would bother casting someone who couldn't fulfil the entire duration, but Usak was an exception.

I doubt he was there for a relationship. But I want to be proven wrong as I ship them so much but this could be the sad reality. Well, at least we got the Shun-Daitanic for now... provided they don't hit an iceberg.

6 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

spacer.png

GTWUeK6agAA_gfj.jpeg

people really damn free to do all the detective work ah? scary sia! twitter is ablaze with such comparison pics and more. i don't understand why people get so invested...always curious about such a phenomenon

8 hours ago, MikeC said:

I thot the producers made a good call as Ryota started considering Gensei only after K made his stand clear.  Hence gg for a “craft” type of workshop is a safe platform for them to get to know each other better esp with the film crew around. An overnight stay might be awkward at this point, but later … who knows?

K / Alan deve looks healthy to me at this point in that K says he prefers to slow down n learn more about each other first (whereas A had earlier wanted to deal with his physical attraction to K first 😅). Happy that A has compromised.  I somehow feel that none of the guys got K excited. I admit I am a mega-huge fan of K and cannot help wondering what type of person would get him super excited and throw caution to the wind 😅

I like Taehon’s looks and personality… though I see him more as someone I look up to (reliable, mature) as he is just too calm when n collected when he talks about stuff. Hope to see goofy side of him.

Well, you could be right on Ryota/Gensei pair, but still, I think every pair should get the same night out regardless, it would be interesting to see how they react eh - and they don't have to do anything naughty eh, haha.

Sidetrack... not sure if there is any truth in this, but a video was made for them:

9 hours ago, MikeC said:

Agreed that he does not seem interested in any of the contestants. During his conversations in the show, he mentioned he needed to spend a long time with people he liked before falling in love with them. The format of the show with its looming deadline does not suit his needs.

Guest Guest
5 hours ago, egal said:

i wonder how much is staged, how much is real, lol

Does it mean that if the couple was paired "successfully" at the end of the show, it doesn't "mean anything"? So cannot take so seriously ah ...? 🤔 

yes, or they intentionally create conflicts etc, to spice up the show.  if nothing happened, or nobody is interested in anybody, then there is nothing to see, lol

or maybe they asked Shun to be a b@tch, so people can talk bout him etc, lol

Lolz I thot it was more like when the producers are casting the show, they have deliberately chosen characters based on the sparks they are likely to produce (bromance or fiery). Than when placed together for 1 month, it is quite impossible to hide ur true self forever even if u want to appear ‘good’ in front of camera.  Then of course some clever editing, and we have storyline 😅

what I like though is Japanese culture of being considerate to others (their feelings) and also making your feelings known while remaining considerate.

Guest Guest
6 hours ago, egal said:

yes, or they intentionally create conflicts etc, to spice up the show.  if nothing happened, or nobody is interested in anybody, then there is nothing to see, lol

or maybe they asked Shun to be a b@tch, so people can talk bout him etc, lol

I think so too.

That part where Shun and Dai kissed in bed, while sweet, did appear a bit staged to me.

After all, they must have known that the camera was filming the whole time.

How spontaneously can one kiss in that sort of setting?

Guest Guest

I saw in the trailer that there was a scene where Dai was crying. I'm really dreading that moment. I hope it's not because he and Shun argued again after their final date.

Guest Guest

Taeheon has got that handsome straight playboy look.

Screenshot-20240721-121941-Vivaldi.jpg

Screenshot-20240721-121954-Vivaldi.jpg

But if you observe him in the show carefully, you can see that some of his mannerisms and hand gestures are quite girlish.

Guest Guest
1 hour ago, Guest Guest said:

But if you observe him in the show carefully, you can see that some of his mannerisms and hand gestures are quite girlish.

You watched until so detailed … 😱

This shows that u like Taeheon very much …?

21 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Better ask people to PM you, if not constitute as spreading prawn.

But bruh, its easily found online now leh, can even see on twitter

Yes one kind member already sent me the link.

Actually I found some links on the internet but somehow can't open them on desktop but can only be opened on hp.

Thanks again!

Guest Guest
11 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Yes i noticed it too, but the mannerism is not overly feminine so overall still acceptable for me. He seems quite short (just abit taller than Dai) so maybe that might be his disadvantage for people who prefer taller guys.

On 7/27/2024 at 12:39 AM, ziurtis said:

I'm not hopeful for more screentime for Taeheon but le sigh indeed

He seems popular online with quite a few questioning his lack of airtime, maybe producers can invite him back for Season 2 (like some other reality shows) 😅

Dai-Shun stans must be creaming real hard at the last episode. I think the ending was kinda sweet but Shun still gives major psycho vibes...i dunno

Also the couples leaving as end-game while some just left one by one...meh. haha felt forced to me.

Edited by bigboyclubsg

Guest Guest

Don't know if Shun and Dai / Kazoo and Alan are still together as of this day present time (2024). 🤔

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.