Male HQ

Being Transgender in China: The Two Lives of Li Ermao (Human Interest Documentary) | Real Stories

This is so sad and tragic. But somehow, it's quite apparent that a lot of how things went south was due to really bad life choices. It seems like an LGBT life is one that is synonymous with unrelenting drama. If she was a bit more passionate and convicted towards her craft, it could have guided her focus towards the things that are more important and beneficial to her life instead of all the pointless toxicity. 

One can feel sorry for Li Ermao in the video of the TS.  But like he writes, her life is result mostly of her choices.

We should feel sorry for most of the Chinese population, not because of their sexual orientations but because of the regime that is enslaving them, the lack of freedoms, home and work.  I hope my fellow Americans open their eyes to the life in other countries and prevent a disaster come the next elections in November.

Guest What?
12 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

One can feel sorry for Li Ermao in the video of the TS.  But like he writes, her life is result mostly of her choices.

We should feel sorry for most of the Chinese population, not because of their sexual orientations but because of the regime that is enslaving them, the lack of freedoms, home and work.  I hope my fellow Americans open their eyes to the life in other countries and prevent a disaster come the next elections in November.

The number of Americans died daily from reckless shootings is astounding.  Comparatively,  China regime is safer choice for a peaceful life regardless straight or gay.  Gay, in China, has more than 3000 years of acceptance history before the British even think about coming up with S377A to discriminate us. 

Guest Perspective

What I love about China, it is an Atheist country not dominated by anti-gay Christian or muslim religion.   The challenge LGBT faced in China, has nothing to do with politics nor religion unlike other countries.  It is simply FAMILY PRESSURE and society acceptance we all faced daily in out ligr and everywhere.  

Guest My thought on Ermao
On 7/11/2024 at 10:38 AM, practease said:

This is so sad and tragic. But somehow, it's quite apparent that a lot of how things went south was due to really bad life choices. It seems like an LGBT life is one that is synonymous with unrelenting drama. If she was a bit more passionate and convicted towards her craft, it could have guided her focus towards the things that are more important and beneficial to her life instead of all the pointless toxicity. 

I watched the entire video, which I normally don't do about transgender topic.  Here is my thought.

Typically, it is a style of life, a culture, and the housing architect from Chongqing and Shenzhen. street, the locals enjoy binge drinking and smoking excessively, etc. Upon viewing the first 70% of the film, I had the feeling that Ermao's appearance—including his long hair and attire—was unimportant to everyone. People ignored his transsexual propensity and simply went about their lives, giving him a place to rent housing and a platform to do his things.  In this regard, it was quite impressive as compared to Singapore society...I guess. 

Ermao prefers to refer to his two extremely closed boyfriends as "Hubby," who he went through thick and thin with and I don't quite doubt their sincerity in the relationship. Eventually, they find it challenging to maintain a "healthy relationship" with Ermao given his strong temperament and gambling addiction, which even border on suicidal thoughts.  Thereafter, in between relationship,  Ermao took absusive strangers home through internet chats (most likely as a result of it being discovered at the end of the video that he has HIV).    

I thought the village he once grew up in was still rather accepting of him, but he wanted to make those close-knit communities appear like a bully, "stealing" his family land that was left vacants for many years . They visited his tent, offer him to join the reunion dinner...etc, he simply rejected them (to spice up his drama?)     Neverheless, despite the effort, with his bf, to construct a temporary housing, he never stayed put wherever he went; instead, he wandered around in the city again in search of work until he made the decision that he wanted to be a "normal" man once more.  The cameraman has also been assisting him in getting back on his feet behind the scenes and in one of those scenes trying to stop Ermao from throwing tantrum at his bf. 

Ermao appears young, or at least he is.   In the early part of the video, Ermao's voyage is filled with dreams of becoming a full-fledged woman and finding a husband, but he was always observed moaning and lamenting, drenched in self-pity (always relationship related) and his bf felt quite humiliated  from the saga..   Was Ermao's behaviour typical of a drag queen?  It may be a little rich to go that route of thought,  but one never knows for sure after continue watching the entire video and nobody understand the one-sided story behind the scene in Ermao's own dramatic twist and turn, which prompted the videographer to keep going back to continue documenting his journey. 

Sadly, the news of his HIV diagnosis crushed any optimism he still had, just as he was about to get rid of his breasts entirely and resume a normal life in the factory. Hopefully, after learning of his medical status, Ermao would have mentally matured,  grown mellow to be loved by everyone who had previously shown him affection.   Regarding this, I would like to refute @Steve5380's assertion that the Chinese government has role in Ermao's predicament.  Politics is best leave out of this picture often due to individual's choices, and in Ermao's case, that may have resulted in either a beautiful or awful ending.  Let's hope Ermao doesn't give up living, but accept treatment (which I don't think is expensive in China) and eventually live a happy single life like many single people in the world. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.