Male HQ

Breaking Down Stereotypes About Tops and Bottoms in the LGBTQ+ Community

Hey everyone,

I wanted to share some thoughts on the stereotypes surrounding tops and bottoms in the LGBTQ+ community. It’s important to recognize that these stereotypes can be limiting and don’t reflect the diversity of real people’s experiences. Here are a few key points to consider:

1 Stereotypes Are Limiting: The idea that tops must be masculine and bottoms must be feminine is just a stereotype. People are complex and can’t be neatly categorized based on their sexual roles.

2 Gender Expression vs. Sexual Role: Gender expression (how someone presents themselves, like being masculine or feminine) is different from sexual roles (like being a top or bottom). A person’s mannerisms, voice, or appearance don’t determine their sexual preferences.

3 Individual Differences: There are many tops who might be more feminine and bottoms who are more masculine. These roles are about personal preference and comfort, not about fitting into a specific mold.

4 Breaking Down Stereotypes: It’s important to challenge these stereotypes by recognizing and respecting the individuality of each person. Encouraging open and honest conversations can help break down these harmful stereotypes and promote a more inclusive understanding of LGBTQ+ identities.

Let’s all strive to understand and respect each other’s unique identities and preferences.

1 hour ago, Eddie Adrika said:

Hey everyone,

Let’s all strive to understand and respect each other’s unique identities and preferences.

I second this.  It goes without saying!

I think that one false stereotyping is the idea that all gays are tops or bottoms, or both.  This cannot be determined to begin with, since no one knows "all gays".  There is a more silent type of gays who are neither tops nor bottoms, because they don't practice anal sex.  I am one of them.  This does not mean that we stay away from sex,... OH NO!   It means that there are plenty of sexual acts between gays which are not anal.  I am not even sure if a gay raised without knowledge of anal sex would ever come to the idea of a cock entering an anus..., and together with other gays ignorant of anal sex he would find satisfaction in a lot of non-anal sex.      

47 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

I second this.  It goes without saying!

I think that one false stereotyping is the idea that all gays are tops or bottoms, or both.  This cannot be determined to begin with, since no one knows "all gays".  There is a more silent type of gays who are neither tops nor bottoms, because they don't practice anal sex.  I am one of them.  This does not mean that we stay away from sex,... OH NO!   It means that there are plenty of sexual acts between gays which are not anal.  I am not even sure if a gay raised without knowledge of anal sex would ever come to the idea of a cock entering an anus..., and together with other gays ignorant of anal sex he would find satisfaction in a lot of non-anal sex.      

Thank you so much for your thoughtful response! I completely agree with you—it’s crucial to recognize that not all gay men fit into the categories of tops or bottoms, and that sexual roles are just one aspect of a person’s identity.

Your point about the diversity of sexual practices within the gay community is so important. It’s a great reminder that intimacy and connection can take many forms beyond the stereotypes. It’s all about what feels right and comfortable for each individual.

Let’s keep challenging these stereotypes and promoting a more inclusive understanding of LGBTQ+ identities. Your perspective adds so much value to this conversation.

1 hour ago, seekolderguy said:

Another point i guess,
Tops always have to be dominant , bottoms always have to be submissive
Some tops dont like to be in charge, some bottoms like to be in charge

Thank you for bringing that up! You’re absolutely right—another common stereotype is that tops must always be dominant and bottoms must always be submissive. This isn’t necessarily true and can be quite limiting.

Just as you mentioned, some tops might not enjoy being in charge all the time, and some bottoms might prefer to take the lead. It’s all about personal preferences and what feels right for each individual.

By acknowledging these nuances, we can further break down these stereotypes and promote a more inclusive and understanding community. Let’s continue to celebrate the diversity within our experiences and support each other’s unique identities.

1 hour ago, MasterFitMalaySG4U said:

No point....pink dot also divided haha tackle that first...

People will still choose RACE, Physique, COCK, Education & Appearance (style) 

So yet again PREFERENCEs.....

Thank you for sharing your perspective. I understand that preferences and divisions can exist within any community, including the LGBTQ+ community. However, the goal of my post is to encourage a more inclusive and understanding approach to these topics.

While preferences in race, physique, and other attributes are personal and valid, it’s important to recognize that stereotypes can still be harmful. By challenging these stereotypes, we can create a more accepting environment where everyone feels valued for who they are, beyond just their physical or social attributes.

It’s also worth noting that communities like Pink Dot are working towards greater unity and acceptance, even if there are still divisions. Progress often comes in small steps, and every effort to promote understanding and inclusivity counts.

Let’s continue to have these conversations and work towards a more inclusive community together.

1 minute ago, bluerunner said:

Shhhhh!!!! Not so loud. Hehe

should be louder so the bottoms no need to feel shy to ask if the tops love to be rimmed
also tops dont need to feel shy to get rimmed

it is just preference matter

5 hours ago, bluerunner said:

Agree. 
It’s all about ‘face’ issue. (面子的问题)

Well, it is strange to think of it as a face issue, when I have the bottom guy sitting on my face while my tongue work his perky pink hole. 

I enjoy being a top, but it doesn't mean that i dont enjoy being rimmed every so often as it is an erogenous zone regardless of sexual roles. 

Love. 

6 hours ago, doncoin said:

Well, it is strange to think of it as a face issue, when I have the bottom guy sitting on my face while my tongue work his perky pink hole. 

I enjoy being a top, but it doesn't mean that i dont enjoy being rimmed every so often as it is an erogenous zone regardless of sexual roles. 

yeah agree haha
and i always think of this is a good way of converting a so called straight to gay and make them believe they are a bottom HAHA
i believe most of the men love to be rimmed (not sure about women since i am gay LOL) so once they are being rimmed and enjoyed it.... thats the time of persuading haha
(always have this in my thought- i know i sounds bad or maybe crazy or so but yeah hehe.... it is what it is)

3 hours ago, Leanmeat said:

Most tops don't like getting rim Don't know how to simply say no when they don't like. Have to end w "I am top". Super boring reply.

they should say i am pure top instead of top tho haha (only strictly/pure top wouldnt allow anyone/anything get close to the hole- from my observation and so called definition)
top still okay with that as long as not getting penetrated

3 hours ago, seekolderguy said:

they should say i am pure top instead of top tho haha (only strictly/pure top wouldnt allow anyone/anything get close to the hole- from my observation and so called definition)
top still okay with that as long as not getting penetrated

Top or pure top all shouldnt be so rigid. Pure top also can get rim.  Pure top therefore don't get rim is also a stupid reply. 

Edited by Leanmeat

4 hours ago, Leanmeat said:

Top or pure top all shouldnt be so rigid. Pure top also can get rim.  Pure top therefore don't get rim is also a stupid reply. 

oh yeah thats for sure and fair enough
easy and straight answer for that is... i dont like to be rimmed 😆

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.