Male HQ

Reformating Help

Guest LoseEvrything

Guest LoseEvrything

I just did a reformat going thru the usual method, you know, deleting the hard drive stuff like that at the blue screen. And so i am going to install winXP on my computer, after about 1hr of formating, they pc starts to copy files from the winXP cds. But there are alot of files could not be copied, it has options on retry again or skip this file(skipping will ensure your xp will not work properly).

Retry option did not work for me, and so i have to skip the file. After everything was copied( not everything but alot not copied), the pc was able to boot up and run, but nothing works perfectly, eg, the mouse !.

Is there anyone who can figure out whats wrong?

The reason i do a reformat was when i woke up, i saw the blue screen of death. It has some msg which says fatal error. ..system32/error/....something like tat.

01 - Retry option did not work for me, and so i have to skip the file. After everything was copied( not everything but alot not copied), the pc was able to boot up and run, but nothing works perfectly, eg, the mouse !.

02 - The reason i do a reformat was when i woke up, i saw the blue screen of death. It has some msg which says fatal error. ..system32/error/....something like tat.

a. Likely your WinXP CD has scratches. A clean installation needs all the files to be installed. Failing so will give you a lot of problems.

b. You can try to repair but if the file needed cannot be read, it is useless.

a. It is good to know what is the exact error as it will narrow down troubleshooting.

b. System32 is a vital part of PC.

Click Here To Visit My Blog @ "The Blessed Life"

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

- May there be Love and Peace beyond all understanding -

Guest loseEverything

a. Likely your WinXP CD has scratches. A clean installation needs all the files to be installed. Failing so will give you a lot of problems.

b. You can try to repair but if the file needed cannot be read, it is useless.

a. It is good to know what is the exact error as it will narrow down troubleshooting.

b. System32 is a vital part of PC.

Hi Iku,

Thanks for your prompt reply. I've check the winXP cd, its very clean(from DELL) and no scratches. The system is able to read those files that needs to be copied but could not copied or installed, and its quite alot of files.

I wont try to repair as i prefer to have a clean slate and new pc after reformating.

As what the error message is, i'm sorry i did not manage to write it down. All i remember are the words system error, fatal error, system32 error from the blue screen.

This pc was ordered from dell canada, yes i'm living in canada now, about 9months old, did a reformat of this pc 2 months ago(successfully reformat and feel brand new pc).

Now my main issue is, how to successfully copied all the file from the winXP cd without skipping 1 file?

01. Try cleaning [gently] both sides of the CD and reinstall.

02. Is it a DELL propriety CD? Is it possible to go into dell recovery partition and restore from there?

03. System error can be either hardware and software.

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

Guest Guest

i have similar problem when i install my vista... the dvd drive does not copy all files and have ready errors, luckily for me i have another dvd drive (newer one) which can read and setup my vista perfectly w/o any files error... i think maybe is some sensitive data on your cd been slightly scratch where certain drive not enable to read it.

Am i correct to say the CD is a "Recovery Disk?" or a Bootable WinXP Disk?

If its recovery disk... usually you juz place the disk in your drive and restart, and the default setup will be installed (usually via Norton ghost).

If it's a normal winXP disk, do you have the CD key? if yes you can get someone else's disk and install...

But the best solution, is to get onto Dell's website, get the support for your laptop, and download the recovery disk for your laptop's model. and let that reset your system for you.

i recommend this cause the thing with laptops is that you don't know what the hell is inside, it took me so long to find the correct drivers for my bluetooth and card reader cause the one of them i d/l cannot work, and the other download link is screwed.

check me out and my interest... =)

Guest LoseEverything

Well, i did try 2 times going thru the regular safe method, it won't work(not all files were copied).

Then, out of curiousity, i partitioned the hard drive into C:/ (20000m) and E:/ (30000m), lo and behold those files from the winXP cd were able to copied successfully. Everything was successfully reformat and windows was set-up properly.

I did tried again another time and it still works. I have no idea what was wrong with the cd or disk drive initially.

My winXP cd was a bootable cd from DELL(which i requested from them). I have my cd key but i did not key them in during the reformat, i have no idea why(probably the system was already coded). WinXP cd was kept in cd sleeve, no scratches no hairs no marks.

Most dell laptops and desktop has a built-in function where the system can perform a system recovery without using winXP bootable cds. I did tried mine and it does not work, checked many dell forums and other forums, many people too reportedly claimed some do have that functions some do not.

All in all, my desktop now is as good as new, just need to re-install some drivers which i can easily get from dell website.

Glad to hear that the problems have been solved.

Perhaps, you might want to scan the hard disk [on the two partitions] for bad sector.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest LoseEverything

After my last reformat, it happened again, the dreaded BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH AGAIN!!

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this STOP error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer

for driver updates. try changing video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe

mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced startup Options, and then select Safe mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP : 0x0000007E (0xc000001D, 0xF7512B02, 0xF78D240c, 0xF78D2108)

*** serial.sys-Address F7512B02 base at F7507000, DateStamp 41107f17

The above is the errors i got. I tried booting up from my cd rom with winXP bootable cd inside, it manages to load some pre-files onto it before i got the above blue screen again. Take note that from the above blue screen, i had to unplug the power cable in order to boot up the desktop.

After doing the above a few times, i got a different error messages this time;

*** STOP : 0x00000024 (0x00190203, 0x8A685878, 0xc0000102, 0x00000000)

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

*** STOP : 0x000000ED (0x8A7OC458, 0xc000009A, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Conclusion: I like to know why i got all these error message? Is there anything i can do to rectify these errors? Or do i have to change any hardware? My warranty ends on the 25th April 09, if its hardware problem, then i might be able to send it back for repair or exchange.

My desktop spec:

Intel Core2 Duo Processor E8200 (2.66GHz, 6MB L2 Cache,1333FSB)

4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz - 4DIMMs

256MB NVIDIA Geforce 8600GT, 2DVI

250GB Serial ATA Hard Drive (7200RPM) w/DataBurst Cache

Thanks again for any help rendered if any.

Guest LoseEverything

I have called DELL, they suspect its the hard drive although we did very thorough test and diagnostics on the system and yielded no errors. So they will come by and install a new hard drive.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.