Male HQ

Taiwanese Dish Called Mala - Has Anyone Tried It?

beef4beef

I read so much about this dish and so I'd like to try it out when I visit Taiwan next year.

My question to the floor, has anyone of you personally tried it? And if you have, I'd love to hear your opinion, did you like it, what did you like or dislike, etc....

If someone could make recommendations as to where serves the best, I'd appreciate it.

What other dishes must I try while I'm there?

"Life it too short to be small"

I read so much about this dish and so I'd like to try it out when I visit Taiwan next year.

My question to the floor, has anyone of you personally tried it? And if you have, I'd love to hear your opinion, did you like it, what did you like or dislike, etc....

If someone could make recommendations as to where serves the best, I'd appreciate it.

What other dishes must I try while I'm there?

Mala is not actually a dish. It is rather a kind of cooking method or seasoning, just like sweet and sour etc. I'm not sure if what u read about is mala hot pot as this is very common in Taiwan. It is hot, spicy and numbing as it uses a lot of chilli and peppercorn.

u can actually find mala dishes all over singapore, esp sichuan restaurant. they r the best preparing relevant food although taiwanese can prepare not bad taste mala dishes.

i personally like them very much, but hate the thick layer of chilly oil floating on the mala steamboat pot. haha!! so every time i visited any shops will ask them to cut down oil cut down oil n will spend 10 mins to do a manual 1. :lol:

u can actually find mala dishes all over singapore, esp sichuan restaurant. they r the best preparing relevant food although taiwanese can prepare not bad taste mala dishes.

i personally like them very much, but hate the thick layer of chilly oil floating on the mala steamboat pot. haha!! so every time i visited any shops will ask them to cut down oil cut down oil n will spend 10 mins to do a manual 1. :lol:

Ah, so Mala is just a different name for Sichuan. I love Sichuan food. My favorite is Barshu in London - http://www.bar-shu.co.uk/

Does anyone know if the Singapore ones are similar to Barshu?

Edited by beef4beef

Ah, so Mala is just a different name for Sichuan. I love Sichuan food. My favorite is Barshu in London - http://www.bar-shu.co.uk/

Does anyone know if the Singapore ones are similar to Barshu?

Sorry, mala is not another name for Sichuan food, but just a another range of sichuan food.

Mala in chinese :麻辣, literally means numbing 麻 spicy hot 辣.

Some of the more famous dishes are their mala hotpot steamboat.

Also the 宫保/GongBao dishes - chicken pieces or prawns stirfried with dried chillies and cashew nut and

DanDan noodles - noodles with a hot spicy minced meat bean sauce.

Looking at the webpages of Barshu, some of the dishes are typical sichuan but some were "bastardised".

DongPo Pork Knuckle in chilly sauce - its ridiculous!;

imagine shepherd pie with belachan filling!

You can find many restaurants serving such dishes in Chinatown and along Geylang Road - just look out for the Sichuan or Mala signs.

If you want to spend more, there is this Si Chuan Dou Hua Restauant you can try.

They used to have a sampling meal set where you can have a large variety of dishes in small portions.

Sorry, mala is not another name for Sichuan food, but just a another range of sichuan food.

Mala in chinese :麻辣, literally means numbing 麻 spicy hot 辣.

Some of the more famous dishes are their mala hotpot steamboat.

Also the 宫保/GongBao dishes - chicken pieces or prawns stirfried with dried chillies and cashew nut and

DanDan noodles - noodles with a hot spicy minced meat bean sauce.

Looking at the webpages of Barshu, some of the dishes are typical sichuan but some were "bastardised".

DongPo Pork Knuckle in chilly sauce - its ridiculous!;

imagine shepherd pie with belachan filling!

You can find many restaurants serving such dishes in Chinatown and along Geylang Road - just look out for the Sichuan or Mala signs.

If you want to spend more, there is this Si Chuan Dou Hua Restauant you can try.

They used to have a sampling meal set where you can have a large variety of dishes in small portions.

Thanks for the invaluable tips on where to eat Mala in Singapore. Any in Taiwan you'd recommend? I'll be heading there in May.

Thanks for the invaluable tips on where to eat Mala in Singapore. Any in Taiwan you'd recommend? I'll be heading there in May.

You should have your fill of mala dishes here - plenty of shops, cheap and good.

I've been to Taipei only twice and very short stay each time so not very familar with the city.

But Taiwan is not famous for this dish, not that I know of.

You should instead try the Taiwanese cuisine and local hawker food.

Oyster omelet

Coffin sandwich

Papaya milkshake?

Smelly Tofu - this you must try!

You should have your fill of mala dishes here - plenty of shops, cheap and good.

I've been to Taipei only twice and very short stay each time so not very familar with the city.

But Taiwan is not famous for this dish, not that I know of.

You should instead try the Taiwanese cuisine and local hawker food.

Oyster omelet

Coffin sandwich

Papaya milkshake?

Smelly Tofu - this you must try!

Crispy oyster omelets are one of my favorite dishes! There used to be a hawker stall in an old small hawker center somewhere in commonwealth (gosh its been so long) and an old couple made the most crispy oyster omelet dish.

Coffin sandwich sounds a bit morbid! lol Did you mean coffee sandwich?

I thought smelly tofu was a Hong Kong thing?

Interesting ............. thanks.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.