Male HQ

Solitary Dinner Out

HendryTan

1. Sometime you want a reasonably Good dinner and you are alone.

Like to start a thread featuring some restaurants/menus where you can dine single, where food is tasty and where price is OK on the wallet

2. Had this last Thursday at the Airport after sending off some customer.

3. DianXiaoEr Hebal Roasted Duck Meal http://www.dianxiaoer.net/

A plate of roast duck and comes with soup and rice.

Price with GST/Service Charge approx $8

DianXiaoEr.jpg

Newly opened OLD MALAYA CAFE at 313@Somerset, Basement 3.

I'm a Malaysian working at Somerset, so upon seeing a cafe that serves my own country's delicacies, I just couldn't resist but to take lunch there almost daily! (occassionally dinner as well)

Some of the delicacies which I have tried out included:

> Ipoh Hor Fun 怡保河粉

> Pontian Wantan Mee 笨珍云吞面

> Melaka Chicken Rice Balls 马六甲鸡饭粒

> Penang Prawn Noodles 槟城虾面

> Kuala Lumpur Curry Noodles 吉隆坡咖喱面

> Penang Assam Laksa 槟城亚参叻沙 & Truckers' Cendol 煎律

> Popiah 薄饼 & Triple Delight Teh 三色奶茶 (a specialty from Sarawak, locally known as Teh C Special)

> Seafood Hor Fun with Egg Gravy 滑蛋河粉

Most of the items are priced between S$2 to S$5 on average.

Savoury and worth the deal!

I can't upload the photos here as the pictures that I have snapped are all in my Facebook and it seems that the editor here does not allow image extensions from FB to be posted here. But go there and try them out and see for yourself lah! ;)

The cafe has yet to offer the full menu as the chef responsible for the 'missing' items had a family emergency to attend to.

Edited by qedcwc

"You like who you like lah. Who cares if someone likes the other someone because of their race? It's when they hate them. That's the problem."

Orked (acted by Sharifah Amani) in SEPET (2004, directed by Yasmin Ahmad)

• 2 weeks later...

1. Walking at Central/ClarkQuay and chance upon Rendezvous Restaurant Hock Lock Kee 福乐居大酒店

The boss told me that they just moved here 2 weeks ago.

Ate at their old Bras Basah Road restaurant, then they moved to Raffles City and then to Rendevous Hotel.

Used to bring friends and colleagues there for dinner/lunch when I was working in town years ago.

2. They are famous for their Rendang Chicken/beef. My colleagues like their chendol.

Personally I like their curry chicken.

rendevous1.jpgrendevous2.jpg

My meal of Rendang Chicken, Egg with Rendang Sauce, Brinjal with Rendang Sauce and a lime juice

3. Location : Central / ClarkQuay, seond floor. Above Clark Quay MRT.

4. Price approx $18 GST included

• 2 weeks later...

solo dinner? I just go home for a home made sandwich... peanut butter and fruit jam... the simplest pleasure... and a rich cup of tea

splurge? go for Astons lor... relatively cheep and good... price depends on whether you order Wagu beef or other prime cuts.

or Botak Jones if you are near an outlet... the Cajun Chicken Breast is totally superbly done... under $10 bux

or places where you are regular customer - and the boss recognises you... that's where I go for solo dinner... those places... include Tiong Bahru Market area, ABC market, etc for Cantonese Roast Meats/Noodles and Fried Hokkien Noodles and desserts respectively... and a certain Botak Jones outlet where they know my order before I order haha... yeah... and a pint of Stella ... mmmm... place to chill...

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.