Male HQ

Difficult Situations At Work.

fab

During a work progress meeting with my superior (a director), I suggested to her to use method A (instead of B) for project 1 and method C (instead of D) for project 2. I tried to convince her by sharing the benefits etc. She rejected my proposals and insisted I used her old methods cos her reason was "You are still new so dont try to change so many things yet".

Few weeks later, during our monthly division meeting, my MD sat in (for the first time).

An executive (who doesnt report to me) asked me the same question (y not method A instead of B for project 1) when I was doing the presentation. My MD looked at me and asked the same question. So I explained to them about the benefits like I explained to my director earlier. Hence my MD questioned why am I not using method A? So I turned to look at my director. She sheepishly said that I did propose this to her b4 and immediately told me to change.

The same thing happened again when I was presenting project 2.

I felt very embarrassed that a junior had to point out my mistake in front of the management (the MD). I also felt very frastrated with my boss's frequent wrong decisions.

What would u guys do to convince your boss that he/she is not always right (or even could be wrong) or how would u tackle the above situation?

Thanks in advance.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

During a work progress meeting with my superior (a director), I suggested to her to use method A (instead of B) for project 1 and method C (instead of D) for project 2. I tried to convince her by sharing the benefits etc. She rejected my proposals and insisted I used her old methods cos her reason was "You are still new so dont try to change so many things yet".

Few weeks later, during our monthly division meeting, my MD sat in (for the first time).

An executive (who doesnt report to me) asked me the same question (y not method A instead of B for project 1) when I was doing the presentation. My MD looked at me and asked the same question. So I explained to them about the benefits like I explained to my director earlier. Hence my MD questioned why am I not using method A? So I turned to look at my director. She sheepishly said that I did propose this to her b4 and immediately told me to change.

I felt very embarrassed that a junior had to point out my mistake in front of the management (the MD). I also felt very frastrated with my boss's frequent wrong decisions.

What would u guys do to convince your boss that he/she is not always right (or even could be wrong) or how would u tackle the above situation?

Thanks in advance.

In the working world, here's a simple advice I've learnt over the years: Part of your job is to make your boss look good in front of his/her boss, so that you will look good in front of your boss.

Love. 

Remind her she's a woman.

That is a very old school mentality. I had 2 amazing bosses whom I used to report to who are women. Granted one was a little Devil Wears Prada crazy, but she took care of our team, and made sure we were well compensated despite a number of occasions where her demands were unrealistic. My direct boss was this amazing person who gave me the opportunity to excel at what i do and when the time came for me to start my own business, she was very supportive and constantly referred clients to me.

With Fab's situation, I think your boss is a control freak whom you need to earn her trust. It will take time. You need to prove to her that you are capable of making independent decisions and recommendations that produce results that will make her look good in front of the MD. Maybe you need to sit and discuss with her letting you manage some projects independently with her input from time to time. That way, you can show what you are capable of, earn her trust to delegate you with the responsibility, and most of her, make her look good in front of her boss. :)

Love. 

That is a very old school mentality. I had 2 amazing bosses whom I used to report to who are women. Granted one was a little Devil Wears Prada crazy, but she took care of our team, and made sure we were well compensated despite a number of occasions where her demands were unrealistic. My direct boss was this amazing person who gave me the opportunity to excel at what i do and when the time came for me to start my own business, she was very supportive and constantly referred clients to me.

With Fab's situation, I think your boss is a control freak whom you need to earn her trust. It will take time. You need to prove to her that you are capable of making independent decisions and recommendations that produce results that will make her look good in front of the MD. Maybe you need to sit and discuss with her letting you manage some projects independently with her input from time to time. That way, you can show what you are capable of, earn her trust to delegate you with the responsibility, and most of her, make her look good in front of her boss. :)

You're so serious.

And fab, I do think that what she really need is cunnilingus. The rest would be up to you.

Guys won't make you happy, they only make you high.

After working for so many years, I think female superiors are the hardest to please.

They are so PMS-all the time. Most of them are narrow-minded and temperamental for no reasons.

They tend to whine so much and at the end of the day, regardless how much effort I put into the projects,

they want to have the final say even though they may not be absloutely sure.

One other thing I dislike now is very fresh graduates. They tend to think so highly of themselves because

they probably are more IT-savvy. But the core of the job (ie. in teaching profession) is the soft skills

of human relationships.

Enough said, it is the end of the month again.. isnt it wonderful to get paid again?

I do agree with Chelseasian that you should make your boss looks good since you are under her. She may have been the one who makes the wrong choice but if you still reports to her, and wants to have a good review, that's what you need to do.

My suggestion for you is to talk to her with reference to the project 1 issue and tell her that as much as you want to agree with her, you don't want her to look bad in front of the MD with this 2nd project. Just assures her that you are "on her side" and that if there is any credit, it would be that her had "given the nod" for the 2nd project change, etc. along that line.

You may not want to play politics in the office but you must be mindful of about the politics that is happening around you. Who like who, who is ok with who, etc.

In my line of work, beisdes all the qualifications and experience, the most inmportant thing is excellent soft skills and eq.

Yes, it's important to make your boss looks good. But be wary of your boss, too because she is also a woman. It is also time

to look around, internally/externally. Important to look for superiors with integrity (which is very, very rare).

Women boss is one of the top push/pull factor. Very few good women boss ;(

If I am your boss, I would have discuss all the methods with you, study the feasibility and support you.

You would follow up with an internal memo to all parties involved (to cover your ass)

If the MD questioned the choice of method, I would jump in at the appropriate time to smoothen things out and 'upsell' it to the MD. I would also let him know we (not you or me, we r together) have a plan B. Also 'rub' him in the right way so he/she feels good. MD would definiely give me some face in front of my subordinate.

After working for so many years, I think female superiors are the hardest to please.

They are so PMS-all the time. Most of them are narrow-minded and temperamental for no reasons.

They tend to whine so much and at the end of the day, regardless how much effort I put into the projects,

they want to have the final say even though they may not be absloutely sure.

Totally agree! Given a chance, I will never want to work under a female boss!

Guys,

not sure if this is your first ncident or already happened a few times.

Anyway, for subsequent projects. do have 2 plans since u think u r more superior and even she as a director can't make a good decision.

Thw next time ur MD ask u the same question again, say this ' oh, I have an alternate plan which is exactly what u recommended. ' I'm sure you will walk out the meeting room with head up and lookinng down at ur boss.

All the best....

I do not quite agreed that lady bosses are a (total) nightmare. I have met 2 very nice lady bosses who are more understanding and caring than (one) male boss i had, who unfortunately, know nuts about his work, talk rubbish and ended up humilitating himself.

Fab - As what Chelseasian & GachiMuchi has mentioned, you have to make her look good, and look good in front of her bosses. You need to show more tactfulness (not saying you don't have) to let your boss understand your capabilities. Given these 2 projects meeting, unless she's dumb not to realise your potential, am sure she will be more willing to listen to your views in future. Of course, the tactic to go along is to her feel that she's boss, yet you are sharing your thoughts with her. :)

You can try to make your boss look good but it sounds like she will only sabotage herself and someday so will sabotage you as well.

I say gun for her job. You can do better without a dead weight as a boss.

"Kinsey says everyone has homosexual tendencies in various degree. YOU'RE ALL GAY!!!" ~ from some kid I overheard in a KFC.

Guest Happy Go Lucky

Respect has to be earned. If your lady boss is the yaya papaya type, than I wouldn't consider even to show her the minimum respect and will push my agenda through if I believe my ideas are better than her. Besides, I am the one presenting the project and subjected myself to scrutiny, not her who sit there relaxing herself from being questioned.

On the other hand, if my boss is a nice understanding woman, I will certainly give her the support she needed from me. Even if she could be wrong in her view, I will politely make it right without hurting her status or ego. Afterall, happiness it the key to a working life. We don't want to face a possessive and nasty women in our work place. LIfe is miserable enough, don't choose a job that enhances it.

In the working world, here's a simple advice I've learnt over the years: Part of your job is to make your boss look good in front of his/her boss, so that you will look good in front of your boss.

QFT. But this will prob never happen with me, so I'll be a cheap labor for eternity. :oops:

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

This reminds me of my internship.

Sorry I haven't really gone out on a full-fledged job.

Unless NS is considered work.

My boss was this control freak who insisted every staff did a daily schedule.

Before knocking off work, you have to hand in a schedule of what to do the next day.

Of course, nobody followed that schedule strictly.

Only she did follow hers strictly, as...a role model perhaps? :ph34r:

Since she's like that, the best way for me is to just accept her ideas.

And slowly modify it moderately so that it creates a positive impression on her,

and to my benefit as well.

Direct confrontation doesn't work, especially for women I think.

A lot of bad things will follow.

If you don't have good backing, you can't really call the shots.

Image00109.jpg

I'm always running after you.

You are my ideal.

You are me.

QFT. But this will prob never happen with me, so I'll be a cheap labor for eternity. :oops:

If you play your cards right, when the time come for annual review, you can remind her kindly of what you did, and negotiate your salary or something.

Love. 

This reminds me of my internship.

Sorry I haven't really gone out on a full-fledged job.

Unless NS is considered work.

My boss was this control freak who insisted every staff did a daily schedule.

Before knocking off work, you have to hand in a schedule of what to do the next day.

Of course, nobody followed that schedule strictly.

Only she did follow hers strictly, as...a role model perhaps? :ph34r:

Since she's like that, the best way for me is to just accept her ideas.

And slowly modify it moderately so that it creates a positive impression on her,

and to my benefit as well.

Direct confrontation doesn't work, especially for women I think.

A lot of bad things will follow.

If you don't have good backing, you can't really call the shots.

A lot of high achievers do draw up AND follow through daily plans. Insurance industry is one such example, where the really top producers do such. Professional trainers/coaches often advocate it too. But 99% of people are just too lazy to do so.

Instagram @the_meowprince

A lot of high achievers do draw up AND follow through daily plans. Insurance industry is one such example, where the really top producers do such. Professional trainers/coaches often advocate it too. But 99% of people are just too lazy to do so.

True.

What I didn't like was to follow her format.

I do have a sort of plan for myself. But I'm the sort who can only follow my own plans.

Even if it's badly planned, I have to modify it moderately.

I'm the not the sort to change radically.

Image00109.jpg

I'm always running after you.

You are my ideal.

You are me.

If you play your cards right, when the time come for annual review, you can remind her kindly of what you did, and negotiate your salary or something.

I'm 20 and just doing a lil bit of internship here and there, so I won't be experiencing <<annual review>> until at least a couple more years. But I can see myself cannot tahan disagreeing with a boss. Just one really bad attitude. :twisted:

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

I'm 20 and just doing a lil bit of internship here and there, so I won't be experiencing <<annual review>> until at least a couple more years. But I can see myself cannot tahan disagreeing with a boss. Just one really bad attitude. :twisted:

That is ok when you are 20. You have the next 10 years to make all the mistakes you want with your career and adjust your "bad attitude."

Love. 

Guest lone ranger

Thanks in advance.

just be grateful that she admit to being the one deciding to use method B. there are those who deny everything, just to look good in front of their bosses.

secondly, beware of backlash since your boss might feel that you have made her look bad infront of her boss.

• Guest locked this topic