Male HQ

AVA investigating alleged case of PRC restaurant selling dog meat

Guest Jan

By Imelda Saad | Posted: 09 May 2011 2349 hrs

SINGAPORE : The Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA) is investigating an alleged case of a restaurant selling dog meat to patrons.

It has taken samples for testing to ascertain the type of meat used.

The Internet has been abuzz with comments of an eatery - identified as Song Hua Jiang Restaurant - located at Jurong East Avenue 1 featuring dog meat in its menu.

One of its dishes was apparently described as containing "braised dog meat, tofu and cabbage".

AVA said in a statement that under the law, meat can only be imported from AVA-approved sources which have met public health and food safety standards.

Authorities also ensure that local slaughter houses meet standards of safety and welfare in the treatment and handling of live animals for slaughter.

AVA said it accepts only internationally humane methods and "there is no known humane methods of slaughtering dogs for human consumption".

It added there are also no premises licensed for the slaughter of dogs in Singapore.

Anyone caught illegally slaughtering animals for human consumption or importing dog meat could be fined up to S$10,000 and jailed up to 12 months.

- CNA/al

Guest Guest

By Imelda Saad | Posted: 09 May 2011 2349 hrs

SINGAPORE : The Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority of Singapore (AVA) is investigating an alleged case of a restaurant selling dog meat to patrons.

It has taken samples for testing to ascertain the type of meat used.

The Internet has been abuzz with comments of an eatery - identified as Song Hua Jiang Restaurant - located at Jurong East Avenue 1 featuring dog meat in its menu.

One of its dishes was apparently described as containing "braised dog meat, tofu and cabbage".

AVA said in a statement that under the law, meat can only be imported from AVA-approved sources which have met public health and food safety standards.

Authorities also ensure that local slaughter houses meet standards of safety and welfare in the treatment and handling of live animals for slaughter.

AVA said it accepts only internationally humane methods and "there is no known humane methods of slaughtering dogs for human consumption".

It added there are also no premises licensed for the slaughter of dogs in Singapore.

Anyone caught illegally slaughtering animals for human consumption or importing dog meat could be fined up to S$10,000 and jailed up to 12 months.

- CNA/al

'Song Hua Jiang' is the name of a major river in Jilin province, northeast China where dog meat is a popular cuisine among the inhabitants.

Under the law, meat can only be imported from AVA and this means that the restaurant may be slaughtering DOGS in Singapore on its own.

The relentless influx of immigrants from mainland China has provided a ready market for dog meat in Singapore as it is highly unlikely that Singaporeans will touch the 'exotic' meat.

I wonder whats the real fuss about eating dog meat and makes it so iilegal and inhumane for eating them ?

Its like eating dog meat is gonna make one less compassion and less humane.

Then what about the cows, chickens, ducks , goats, pigs, fishes, sheeps and lambs which we kill everyday?

Then what about the gracious and developed country like Japan, which you people like to look up to?

What about the hundreds of whales they killed each year for food? There is a certain sea, which is nicknamed "The Red Sea" because the tons of whale blood which bleeds and turns the sea red, all because of the profitable whale killing.

Then who was the one who decides which should be killed, or should be spared?

You may argue that dogs are men's best friend, but I beg to differ.

If the West ( esp the Americans) started the anti dog meatcampaign against China, why don't they look at what they are doing to their dogs in their military tactics ?

They tied bombs to the dogs, send the canines to their enemies/terrorist hideout, then blow up the explosives from a distance, by a remote control.

Dogs are used in many of their dangerous warfare. In the event during training, should the dogs get seriously injured and rendered useless, they are put to sleep.

So who decides on all those animals' fate? Its the human's belief system, and the values they designate to each animals. And these values are again translated into how useful and how much proft the animals churn out into the human pocket

I have eaten dog meat a few times when I was in China . They are as tender as the lamb, and as juicy, superbly suuculent as the wagu beef.

Its just another animal to me.

Infact so as long as an animal is edible, very palatable or can be made into a delicacy, which does not poison the human system, why not?

When I was very young, I have eaten fried tiger meat, which were shot in the Malayan forest.

Still its no big deal and its still a food to me.

End of the day, its not what you put into your mouth.

Its what comes out from it...when you say something...

And hows that as a food for your thoughts?

Edited by TheVisitors

I wonder whats the real fuss about eating dog meat and makes it so iilegal and inhumane for eating them ?

Then what about the cows, chickens, ducks , goats, pigs, fishes, sheeps and lambs which we kill everyday?

Then what about the gracious and developed country like Japan, which you people like to look up to?

What about the hundreds of whales they killed each year for food? There is a certain sea, which is nicknamed "The Red Sea" because the tons of whale blood which bleeds and turns the sea red, all because of the profitable whale killing.

If the West ( esp the Americans) started the anti dog meatcampaign against China, why don't they look at what they are doing to their dogs in their military tactics ?

They tied bombs to the dogs, send the canines to their enemies/terrorist hideout, then blow up the explosives from a distance, by a remote control.

Dogs are used in many of their dangerous warfare. In the event during training, should the dogs get seriously injured and rendered useless, they are put to sleep.

So who decides on all those animals' fate? Its the human's belief system, and the values they designate to each animals. And these values are again translated into how useful and how much proft the animals churn out into the human pocket

I have eaten dog meat a few times when I was in China . They are as tender as the lamb, and as juicy, superbly suuculent as the wagu beef.

Infact so as long as an animal is edible, very palatable or can be made into a delicacy, which does not poison the human system, why not?

When I was very young, I have eaten fried tiger meat, which were shot in the Malayan forest.

That's sick.

What is sick or not sick, you decide to choose what you want to believe for yourself.

Sorry to disappoint you guys. I have my own limits.

I don't eat human meat.

I only have sex with them.

Human meat contains too much toxic from all the junks we ate, and it is proven , it shrinks as much as 40% when cooked, for your info.

Edited by TheVisitors

Of course we all know. Dog only eat organic food.no toxin.I would say there no rabies in this world , can't think of any rabies for decade.no wonder thery are so delicious n much sought after than wagu beef

What organic dog food? Do you know whats in your dog food? Have you ever read the food contents?

They are actually made form the unwanted spare parts of the animals after we have slaughtered.

And what about the animals that were bred and farmed for food? They were given steriod jabs to make them grow,so as to attain maximun meat from per animal slaughtered. More meat more sales more money..so simple. Is that organic?

So would you still think that dog food are that organic after all?

You really sure that rabies is totally eliminated from the surface of our planet?

I really think you are the one who doesn't know anything.

Guest Blaidd_Drwg

Chef Gordon Ramsay did say once that a person should never become attached to their food.

If I told a person who kept rabbits as pets that I ate them, they'll be disgusted.

If I told a person who kept cows as pets that I ate them, they'll be disgusted.

If I told a person who kept chickens as pets that I ate them, they'll be disgusted.

If I told a person who kept dogs as pets that I at them, they'll be disgusted.

So, you see. There is nothing wrong with eating dog meat. Can it not be cooked? Can it not be eaten? The only thing that is keeping us from eating our pets is the affection we have for them. Similarly, we don't eat human flesh because we have affection or some emotional response to every person who crosses paths in our lives.

So to those people who say eating dog meat is wrong, learn to sort your emotional response from factual response. Dog meat can be eaten. Fullstop.

Guest sushibomb

You eat dog meat? You are not human.

Most japanese don't eat whales.

Guest Guest

So to those people who say eating dog meat is wrong, learn to sort your emotional response from factual response. Dog meat can be eaten. Fullstop.

By the same token, your parents can be chopped up into pieces and made into soup stew.

Before you get mad, please learn to sort your emotional response from factual response. Human meat can be eaten. Fullstop.

Yeah. Dun know wht say cannot eat human because of human attachment. u can eat those human u nt so attached to leh. Like maybe u can't stand ur wife or boyfriend in laws.I am inciting u to kill them, but maybe when die natural death, u can make satay , or stew or whatever with them.can u imagine the amount food resources available to the world.there would nt be hunger in this world.ok ok to set record right, I am nt inciting cannibalism, just want to tell that moron that started this that eating dog is ok.oh oh I like to put my BIG FULL STOP too

You eat dog meat? You are not human.

Most japanese don't eat whales.

If you claim most Japanese don't eat whales, then why kill so many per whale season? You want evidence?

Read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaling_in_Japan

You want visual evidence?

See this for yourself

http://www.google.com.sg/search?q=whale+killing+in+japan&hl=en&rlz=1R2GFRE_en&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=V8bKTc2tGI2EvgPGlfzvBQ&ved=0CEQQsAQ&biw=1259&bih=460

We are talking about dog meat. So please learn to confine your sentiments within context, as not to discuss your unfound fears by inciting human cannibalism. It is totally out of point, it is very invalid.

If you equate dog = human rights, I really don't know if you walk on two legs, or four.

Edited by TheVisitors

Guest Blaidd_Drwg

By the same token, your parents can be chopped up into pieces and made into soup stew.

Before you get mad, please learn to sort your emotional response from factual response. Human meat can be eaten. Fullstop.

Yeah. Dun know wht say cannot eat human because of human attachment. u can eat those human u nt so attached to leh. Like maybe u can't stand ur wife or boyfriend in laws.I am inciting u to kill them, but maybe when die natural death, u can make satay , or stew or whatever with them.can u imagine the amount food resources available to the world.there would nt be hunger in this world.ok ok to set record right, I am nt inciting cannibalism, just want to tell that moron that started this that eating dog is ok.oh oh I like to put my BIG FULL STOP too

Similarly, we don't eat human flesh because we have affection or some emotional response to every person who crosses paths in our lives.

I emotionally react to my parents. I emotionally react to my wife, my boyfriend and my in-laws. I also emotionally react to every stranger I have contact with or may potentially do. Hate and love are emotions. As long as you can feel either sad or happy, angry or cool about something, that is an emotional response.

When you see a steak, do you have an emotional response to it? No, you do not. However, you do have an emotional response to the taste of beef or the memory of it tasting good. But by then, you have placed it in your mouth.

So again, my argument holds valid. It is a potential to be food as long as you are not attached to it in an emotional way, like herds of cows and sheeps, flocks of chickens and schools of fishes

You are emotionally attached to your pets, so that is why currently, you all see eating dog meat as something 'out of this world'. Please re-read Gordone Ramsay's quote again.

So again and again and again, please get your emotions and facts right. Dog meat can be eaten. Full Stop. :hat:

Edited by Blaidd_Drwg

Guest Blaidd_Dog

So again, my argument holds valid. It is a potential to be food as long as you are not attached to it in an emotional way, like herds of cows and sheeps, flocks of chickens and schools of fishes

You are emotionally attached to your pets, so that is why currently, you all see eating dog meat as something 'out of this world'. Please re-read Gordone Ramsay's quote again.

Stop twisting Gordon Ramsay's quote to advance your dog meat eating agenda!

You view dog meat as a potential source of food only because you are not emotionally attached to dogs.

Others who are emotionally attached to their pet dogs will never view dog meat as a potential source of food.

By the same token, you have an emotional attachment to your parents etc so you will never think of eating your parents.

Others who don't have this emotional attachment can well view your parents etc as a source of food, in this case human meat.

Guest Blaidd_Drwg

Or just to make it even easier for you all to understand the argument, without having to see your cheap tactics of misinterpretation...

Look at staunch vegetarians. Why do they not eat meat at all, even eggs? It is because in their psychology, they feel a deep emotional attachment to all living things.

Honestly, take a meat-eater to a butcher and ask him to watch the butcher chop up animals. Does he feel sad? Maybe he feels disgusted by the sight of blood, but by the sight of animals being chopped up, he's indifferent.

Now, take a vegetarian and do the same. You will see that the vegetarian cries or gets upset for the very action of chopping up living things.

And also do notice that in this thread, I have seen this debate going on with vegetarians and meat-eaters, where vegetarians are you guys, the dog-lovers and meat-eaters, the dog-eaters.

Honestly, it is a matter of preference. I'm not forcing you to take up dog-eating. I'm just explaining our stance on the issue. You on the other hand are forcing us to give up dog-eating. Which I have illustrated by argument, is still a valid choice.

Guest Blaidd_Drwg

Stop twisting Gordon Ramsay's quote to advance your dog meat eating agenda!

You view dog meat as a potential source of food only because you are not emotionally attached to dogs.

Others who are emotionally attached to their pet dogs will never view dog meat as a potential source of food.

By the same token, you have an emotional attachment to your parents etc so you will never think of eating your parents.

Others who don't have this emotional attachment can well view your parents etc as a source of food, in this case human meat.

hahahaha! You see, again, misinterpretation...

The moment you meet my parents, you will have an emotional response. Unless of course you are the mentally ill who don't seem to respond to any new people whom you meet. So, you see, the mentally sane will never eat another human being.

Like I have said in my argument, even with strangers you have an emotional response. :hat:

Guest Blaidd_Drwg

And about Gordon Ramsay's quote. You need only see one of his shows in which it is about his family life.

He reared rabbits, but he always warned his kids to not get attached to them. One day, he killed the rabbits for food, and the kids cried. this is the proof of emotional response to food.

Guest Blaidd_Drwg

I understand you all are disgusted by the act of dog-eating.

But remember, disgust is an emotional response to us dog-eaters.

If you want to argue from the perspective of emotions and subjectivity, go on. Understand that a lot of bigots in this world also use this stance of subjectivity. Even worse when there is no facts to boost.

I will only entertain posts with facts. But as long as you feel 'disgusted', really there's no use hammering the rest of us. :hat:

Guest Guest

I understand you all are disgusted by the act of dog-eating.

But remember, disgust is an emotional response to us dog-eaters.

If you want to argue from the perspective of emotions and subjectivity, go on. Understand that a lot of bigots in this world also use this stance of subjectivity. Even worse when there is no facts to boost.

I will only entertain posts with facts. But as long as you feel 'disgusted', really there's no use hammering the rest of us. :hat:

Disgusting

Guest sushibomb

If you claim most Japanese don't eat whales, then why kill so many per whale season? You want evidence?

Read this

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whaling_in_Japan

You want visual evidence?

See this for yourself

http://www.google.com.sg/search?q=whale+killing+in+japan&hl=en&rlz=1R2GFRE_en&prmd=ivns&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=V8bKTc2tGI2EvgPGlfzvBQ&ved=0CEQQsAQ&biw=1259&bih=460

We are talking about dog meat. So please learn to confine your sentiments within context, as not to discuss your unfound fears by inciting human cannibalism. It is totally out of point, it is very invalid.

If you equate dog = human rights, I really don't know if you walk on two legs, or four.

That is japanese government job so may be you can ask them directly.

Could you show the "evidence" (your favorite word?) how they (dog meet seller)

kill dogs to sell the meets as well?

Your family is also dog eater?

Guest Vegetarianism

@Blaidd_Drwg: What you said is true, i have converted to vegetarian diet is because i have strong attachment/feeling to all sentient being.

Besides, those who think that eating of dog meat is inhuman but what makes it different from our usual meat from chicken, duck, cow, fish, pig etc.

I have friends who kept fishes at home as pet, and i told them that these fishes are edible, immediately they gave me a "Yucks" look.

When these fishes died, he feels sad and it makes me ponder the reason behind. I guess its the feeling for these fishes that make people find it disgusting to even think of eating them.

To be frank i am speaking from a neutral point of view, those who feel disgusted about the dog meat eater mainly because he is a dog lovers but still happily enjoy eating other animals as source of food, should be named as hypocrite. A true animal lover should love all and not some. In the ancient days when war started, shortage of food make people forget about what is inhumanity and in order to keep surviving... Those who just died from hunger are eaten right away by he rest. So in conclusion, all meat are edible and its just a form of choice whether do you feel compassionate enough to resist eating them.

To vegetarianism, all meat eaters are no different from those who deems "inhumanity" as compared to dog meat eaters. Its just the same...

After having said that, i would expect many will start to defend themselves about how different they are from these dog meat eaters, but after all

you might be still eating animal that others kept as pet. So to those who kept chicken as pet will find you who ate chicken as disgusting too. Yucks!

FULL STOP... Save the earth, eat lesser meat.

Or just to make it even easier for you all to understand the argument, without having to see your cheap tactics of misinterpretation...

Look at staunch vegetarians. Why do they not eat meat at all, even eggs? It is because in their psychology, they feel a deep emotional attachment to all living things.

Honestly, take a meat-eater to a butcher and ask him to watch the butcher chop up animals. Does he feel sad? Maybe he feels disgusted by the sight of blood, but by the sight of animals being chopped up, he's indifferent.

Now, take a vegetarian and do the same. You will see that the vegetarian cries or gets upset for the very action of chopping up living things.

And also do notice that in this thread, I have seen this debate going on with vegetarians and meat-eaters, where vegetarians are you guys, the dog-lovers and meat-eaters, the dog-eaters.

Honestly, it is a matter of preference. I'm not forcing you to take up dog-eating. I'm just explaining our stance on the issue. You on the other hand are forcing us to give up dog-eating. Which I have illustrated by argument, is still a valid choice.

Guest Blaidd_Drwg

@Blaidd_Drwg: What you said is true, i have converted to vegetarian diet is because i have strong attachment/feeling to all sentient being.

Besides, those who think that eating of dog meat is inhuman but what makes it different from our usual meat from chicken, duck, cow, fish, pig etc.

I have friends who kept fishes at home as pet, and i told them that these fishes are edible, immediately they gave me a "Yucks" look.

When these fishes died, he feels sad and it makes me ponder the reason behind. I guess its the feeling for these fishes that make people find it disgusting to even think of eating them.

To be frank i am speaking from a neutral point of view, those who feel disgusted about the dog meat eater mainly because he is a dog lovers but still happily enjoy eating other animals as source of food, should be named as hypocrite. A true animal lover should love all and not some. In the ancient days when war started, shortage of food make people forget about what is inhumanity and in order to keep surviving... Those who just died from hunger are eaten right away by he rest. So in conclusion, all meat are edible and its just a form of choice whether do you feel compassionate enough to resist eating them.

To vegetarianism, all meat eaters are no different from those who deems "inhumanity" as compared to dog meat eaters. Its just the same...

After having said that, i would expect many will start to defend themselves about how different they are from these dog meat eaters, but after all

you might be still eating animal that others kept as pet. So to those who kept chicken as pet will find you who ate chicken as disgusting too. Yucks!

FULL STOP... Save the earth, eat lesser meat.

FINALLY~! SOMEONE WITH SENSE ON THIS FORUM! :clap:

Guest sushibomb

FINALLY~! SOMEONE WITH SENSE ON THIS FORUM! :clap:

Not quite.

I don't think

Dog eater = Beef, pork, Chicken eater.

Haha! :lol:

That's what you subjectively 'think'. But by the flow of logic, it is. :lol:

I wonder why are you wasting your time and intelligence, arguing with a being or a thing of a much lesser kind.

If we had got ourselves a dog, it would definitely be so smart even to absorb all the tricks we could teach it, within a short period of time.

Some beings are just born like that.

Lets move on.

• 5 months later...

from a health point of view, the meat of a carnivorous mammal n many reptiles are hazardous to health. A dog is a mamal that is primarily a carnivore.

On discovery channel, u don see for eg. lions eating hyenas or leopards or dingos even after attacking n killing them. Most carnivores (lions,

tigers, crocodiles, snakes) eat herbivorous or omnivorous animals but seldom carnivorous mammals.

In primitive human societies, the meat consumption in their natural diet are mostly comprised of seafood, poultry, buffalo, cattle,

sheep n seals (Eskimos). And insects.

Dogs are easy to rear n breed but no primitive society thrives on them. If I'm not mistaken, the health hazard of eating meat of carnivorous mammals is similar to that of eating human meat.

As much as I love dogs, I still think that there's nothing really wrong about eating dog meat. It is just another animal, no different from the cows, chickens, pigs that we all eat everyday, except that it is domesticated - possible then forming emotional attachment with with owners. Take away the emotional attachment and what you get is another animal which can be eaten.

Going back to the topic, any news on the shop who allegedly sells dog meat? Has AVA concluded their investigations?

• Guest locked this topic