Male HQ

Buying A New Ssd

Have been wanting to start a topic on SSDs ... as in Solid State Drives.

Would anyone be so kind to share their experiences in buying and installing/configuring SSDs?

Am thinking of getting 1 soon too. But its very expansive when compared to a normal HDD!

Any brands? Size? And tweaks to be configured in Windows 7 environment?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

Have been wanting to start a topic on SSDs ... as in Solid State Drives.

Would anyone be so kind to share their experiences in buying and installing/configuring SSDs?

Am thinking of getting 1 soon too. But its very expansive when compared to a normal HDD!

Any brands? Size? And tweaks to be configured in Windows 7 environment?

Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

I personally do not have a SSD myself and correct me if I am wrong but you cant tweak a SSD physically. As such, it doesn't make it any different as compared to a normal HDD.

How you tweak a HDD using softwares should apply on a SSD as well, isnt it? Maybe there are additional tweaks but should be able to google them online.

From what I know the SSD is faster when loading OSes because it doesnt have to spin the platters like normal HDD does. Other than those, and other small little stuff like maybe more stable since there is no spinning platters, it should work just like a normal HDD.

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around." -- Leo F. Buscaglia

thanks for the input guys.

read that u might need to stop Windows from using page files and also stop the indexing service as the SSD is faster at retrieving data. Hence page files and indexing are not much use!

Anyway not planning to use it as a storage drive ... tat would not be a cost effective idea! Just more for installing The OS and the required programs. No games too. Got my xbox for that!

So i guess 60 - 80Gb should be enough?

I don't quite see why a fast data read rate shows that paging and indexing should be disabled.

Paging is a method of managing RAM efficiently, allowing the OS to juggle between physical and virtual memory.

Indexing facilitates your search results when you perform a search within Windows, precisely because the data has been indexed. Is an SSD really so fast that you'd rather Windows perform a full search of the SSD rather than referring to an index? (And if you don't store your data on the SSD, you'd be forcing Windows to search your entire HDD, returning you to pre-SSD speed)

As for using an SSD for the OS and your programs, that's a cost-effective idea! Maybe you want to consider critical data on it too. I'm thinking, since an SSD doesn't have movable parts, that alone should make it more reliable than a HDD right?

Just my two cents worth. :)

I don't quite see why a fast data read rate shows that paging and indexing should be disabled.

Paging is a method of managing RAM efficiently, allowing the OS to juggle between physical and virtual memory.

Indexing facilitates your search results when you perform a search within Windows, precisely because the data has been indexed. Is an SSD really so fast that you'd rather Windows perform a full search of the SSD rather than referring to an index? (And if you don't store your data on the SSD, you'd be forcing Windows to search your entire HDD, returning you to pre-SSD speed)

As for using an SSD for the OS and your programs, that's a cost-effective idea! Maybe you want to consider critical data on it too. I'm thinking, since an SSD doesn't have movable parts, that alone should make it more reliable than a HDD right?

Just my two cents worth. :)

hey dude .. thanks for the cents!

u r right abt me installing it for my OS and to a lesser extent critical data ... which i do hav redundant backups of a backup!

so yeah .... haha ... 60G should be the sweet spot huh!?

yessahhhhhhh!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.