Male HQ

Data Recovery From Crashed Hdd

sukothai

my ext hdd crashed , and tried the usual ways to recover data:

removed casing and hooked direct to laptop,

friend helped using a programme to scan but after 2 days still scanning...

was told some shops at sim lim can recover at a cost of at least 1K, and depending on size of data...does anyone know what they actually do? Do they have some more expensive soft and hardware to do this kind of recovery? Is it a very tedious process and take time to slowly recover?

anyone tried with success? and at lower cost?

anyone recommendation who/where to get such help?

sorry...so many questions asked...

my data is mainly microsoft doc/excel and lots of pics and movie clips... :P

Try calling A-Star Computer @ 6337-1060 for more answers to your questions. I am not sure if the company is still operating. They used to have a shop in Sim Lim Square, #05-05.

I was told that when suspected of hdd crashed/data loss, always try to avoid using (from a non professional stand) data recovery software since it can complicate the retrieval.

Click Here To Visit My Blog @ "The Blessed Life"

*Let me live my life to be an instrument of 'Love', in how I speak and in how I see others*

- May there be Love and Peace beyond all understanding -

the one i went to wanted to charge me 1.2k so I rather dump my HDD and restock my inventory than to pay for it ...

just too bad i lost all my photos of my raw shoot footage .. but that's it i guess since to pay that i might as well buy a brand new HDD with bigger capacity ...

and pls loh, if u go to a data recovery centre, it means to say ur data is valuable and these ppl will capitalise on that and charge u high high as per their marketing terms "we know your data is important ec etc etc "

Edited by No Frills Factory Outlet

I would suggest you leave your ext HDD alone for the time being. I used to have 1 ext HDD that when i plug into USB port, all i heard is click click sound and the light, desktop or laptop could not pick up the ext. HDD.. Download all the software, updates and everything and still would not work. Until one fine day, like 9 months later, itchy hand go and try and somehow got it to work!

And i would not recommend going to shops, if your HDD has those pxxns pics or videos, will the technicians who managed to fix your HDD report you to police? Lastly, ask around your friends who are tech savy which they might be able to help.

• 3 weeks later...

I guess if your hdd is still able to be read with not much issue then you can try using recovery software like Recuver by Prirform or if you are more tech savvy, the command-line software like Testdisk.

I did use them to recover some lost files to a certain extend.

You can google and download online to try. I am just providing some suggestions but will not be held responsible if your data are not recovered successfully.

"Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around." -- Leo F. Buscaglia

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.