Male HQ

Acronymns Of Today

Guest angleterm

I read in online forum that people use the term AJ alot. What does AJ actually stand for and what does it mean?

Ah Jie

("Sister" in Mandarin)

"Kinsey says everyone has homosexual tendencies in various degree. YOU'RE ALL GAY!!!" ~ from some kid I overheard in a KFC.

Guest Jonty

Ah Jie

("Sister" in Mandarin)

lol omg seriously? i really dislike being called something feminine

i will nvr use AJ again if that is really the meaning lol

lol omg seriously? i really dislike being called something feminine

i will nvr use AJ again if that is really the meaning lol

saying AJ is more the Ang Moh "brunch and high tea" version of saying "Ah Jie"

Depends on who and where you use it with.

Like some of my more effeminate gay friends use it all the time,

When i'm with more masculine guys then i don't.

It's quite natural. like calling some friends Ah Gao, Ah Neow and not using it when with other friends.

"Kinsey says everyone has homosexual tendencies in various degree. YOU'RE ALL GAY!!!" ~ from some kid I overheard in a KFC.

Guest Guest

AJ - I think it started when gays did not want others to know they are talking about gay people, so pig latin was used.

But when we use pig latin on the word 'gay', it becomes aygay, which still sounded too obvious...so it was ajay instead.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I remembered that was how it was explained to me years ago.

Dug out this very old BlowingWind post that answers this question of meaning of AJ.

Check the original BW post at http://www.blowingwind.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=188&view=findpost&p=933

Nobody seems to be able to explain to me what AJ stands for except it means gay.

From wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore_gay_terminology

Ay-jay or A-jay - Pig Latinised form of gay, with the guttural 'g' converted to a 'j' to further disguise its form. Coined by English-educated schoolboys from some of the better schools in the 1990s.

A.J. - a popular term probably a derivation from Pig Latin. Mainly used about the Chinese/locally educated community as well as prevalent amongst the younger generation. The term is often used as code, in situations where the speakers wish not to allow outsiders to understand the conversation. Example: 'Is he AJ or straight?', 'My classmate is also AJ.'

Not clear, go read that old BW thread, several further there elaborate further :

http://www.blowingwind.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=188&view=findpost&p=933

Guest Guest

HAHA

I have an indian straight friend who call us 'pink friends'.

If calling AJ is so as not to be obvious.....

If AJ has been used since 1990s...

If AJ mean AhJie and you don't like

maybe it is time we change... how about PF for PinkFriends.... haha

Guest lone ranger

AJ - I think it started when gays did not want others to know they are talking about gay people, so pig latin was used.

But when we use pig latin on the word 'gay', it becomes aygay, which still sounded too obvious...so it was ajay instead.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I remembered that was how it was explained to me years ago.

that is how i remembered oso

Guest asperger

Yeah, having first come out in the 90s, this is what I remembered it to be: deliberately bastardized pig latin.

It's pig latin as far as I remember. Any word in the english can be converted to pig latin; this is how it works:-

1. shift the first letter of any word to the end - eg boy --> oyb

2. next, add "ay" at the end. "boy" becomes "oybay"; "boy-friend" becomes "oybay-riendfay".

And if you want to talk about your boyfriend in public - eg. my boyfriend is cute, you would say: my oybayriendfay is utecay.

Straight pple don't understand pig-latin, hence it's used among gay pple when the subject is not intended for straight consumption.

Guest alien

It's pig latin as far as I remember. Any word in the english can be converted to pig latin; this is how it works:-

1. shift the first letter of any word to the end - eg boy --> oyb

2. next, add "ay" at the end. "boy" becomes "oybay"; "boy-friend" becomes "oybay-riendfay".

And if you want to talk about your boyfriend in public - eg. my boyfriend is cute, you would say: my oybayriendfay is utecay.

Straight pple don't understand pig-latin, hence it's used among gay pple when the subject is not intended for straight consumption.

This is interesting, i never know pig latin is so powerful, can covert eng into .?!

saying AJ is more the Ang Moh "brunch and high tea" version of saying "Ah Jie"

Depends on who and where you use it with.

Like some of my more effeminate gay friends use it all the time,

When i'm with more masculine guys then i don't.

It's quite natural. like calling some friends Ah Gao, Ah Neow and not using it when with other friends.

This is mis-translation from gay ah beng and ah lian that do not know abt the pig latin code... haha.

I mean come on, what kind of respected queens will use some random chinese slang to label themselves...

Edited by imchaser

Volunteering for the underwear association for third world countries. Please donate your used underwear to me.

This is mis-translation from gay ah beng and ah lian that do not know abt the pig latin code... haha.

I mean come on, what kind of respected queens will use some random chinese slang to label themselves...

Ooops. just checked it out and yes, my bad.

As for respectable queens... hmmm.

Also, just playing pig latin for gay should sound like ay-gay... which totally defeats the who point of hiding the word sound in pig latin in the first place.

AJ, AJ, why do you sound so gay gay... :whistle:

Actually I wonder if AJ can be considered jargon anymore.

A number of my straight friends know about AJ and PLU too.

In fact, I first heard about AJ from my straight friend.

Edited by darkflame

Image00109.jpg

I'm always running after you.

You are my ideal.

You are me.

Guest alien

Actually I wonder if AJ can be considered jargon anymore.

A number of my straight friends know about AJ and PLU too.

In fact, I first heard about AJ from my straight friend.

Either your str8 friends research a lot of info on gay, or they themselves have gay friends and hang ard with them often.

Iway inkthay ethay aightstray eoplepay ouldway otnay understandway uchmay ofway igpay atinlay. Ifway ouyay antway otay eakspay operpray igpay atinlay, earnlay itway oomfray omeonesay owhay owsknay itway. It'sway eallyray itequay easyway.

Just like many people can converse in the "F" language where you add another syllable starting with f in every syllable in your conversation, itfit allfall justfust takesfakes pracfacticefice.

Basically these are just kiddy language. Pig latin is used a lot in the US and England.

• 8 months later...

yep, it is called pig latin.

like in boy: you bring the last 2 letters in front, and add 'ay' to the end of the word...

eg: boy = oybay

gay = aygay (but pronounce as 'aj' so as not to have the 'gay' sound at the end).

Edited by thad

older4younger

With the influx of the younger readers into blowingwind, they bring some acronymns mature folks may be scratching their heads thinking it is typing mistakes.

DP : Display Picture ie we called it profile picture.

TS : Thread Starter referring to the person starting he thread/topic

Of couse I assume everyone know BW stands for BlowingWind.

EMO: refers to individual who either over-emotional or tends to exaggerate situations.

example of posting: Oh nobody loves me bcos im ugly, my bf cheats on me, my friends bitch stab me, nobody cares abt me, im all alone in the world, im so stress bcos exam tmr i wanna die, i love him but he is straight, going sun tan but rain etc etc.

Volunteering for the underwear association for third world countries. Please donate your used underwear to me.

If u think that "AJ" means "Ah Jie" then u must be a really misguided Ah Beng. I mean come on, what kind of respected queens will use some random chinese slang to label themselves...

With the influx of the younger readers into blowingwind, they bring some acronymns mature folks may be scratching their heads thinking it is typing mistakes.

DP : Display Picture ie we called it profile picture.

TS : Thread Starter referring to the person starting he thread/topic

Of couse I assume everyone know BW stands for BlowingWind.

Depending on the sentence...could be Big Willy ..... :oops: ;)

anybody wanna fill in the blanks? :P

lj =

lp =

lppl =

kns =

cb =

ptll =

"You like who you like lah. Who cares if someone likes the other someone because of their race? It's when they hate them. That's the problem."

Orked (acted by Sharifah Amani) in SEPET (2004, directed by Yasmin Ahmad)

I remembered asking in BW what is pcc (limited vocab :oops:). One bro is patient and kind enough to reply me .. ;)

One really needs to listen to more Hokkien/Teochew vulgarities to know what is that..... :lol:

"You like who you like lah. Who cares if someone likes the other someone because of their race? It's when they hate them. That's the problem."

Orked (acted by Sharifah Amani) in SEPET (2004, directed by Yasmin Ahmad)

• Guest locked this topic