Male HQ

Mrt Disruption Thread (compiled)

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1189156/1/.html

NEL's Dhoby Ghaut-HarbourFront service disrupted till further notice

SINGAPORE: Resumption of MRT services between Dhoby Ghaut and HarbourFront stations on the North East Line will be delayed till further notice.

Earlier, public announcements at the affected train stations had said that services would resume at 5.00pm.

SBS Transit said its engineers have gotten the two connecting cables back up and had started testing the system for service resumption.

SBS Transit's senior vice president of Corporate Communications, Ms Tammy Tan said as the engineers were doing their final checks, they found a new problem relating to electricity insulation.

"This problem had not been present before and we are now working to get it resolved. As a result, service resumption is expected to be delayed again," she said.

"We are extremely sorry to all commuters for this and realise that this second delay will no doubt cause even more inconvenience and frustration. But we have to ensure that the system is operationally sound before giving the go-ahead for service resumption."

The rail operator promised to update commuters once it gets a clearer picture of the situation.

Train services were disrupted early Thursday due to a power supply problem in the tunnel at Outram Park Station.

During a regular nightly maintenance scheduled at 5.00am, the company discovered that one of the connecting cables of the overhead power supply located south of Outram Park station had snapped.

SBS Transit commenced repair work immediately, but as extensive work had to be done, normal service operations at the five stations between Dhoby Ghaut and HarbourFront had to be disrupted.

Twenty-five engineers are now trying to resolve the problem.

The train operator deployed 59 free shuttle buses and 63 goodwill ambassadors to help commuters.

SBS Transit and the Land Transport Authority will be holding a media conference at 4.00pm to give an account of the service disruption.

- CNA/cc

==================

With Ministers and civil servants like that who needs terrorists to do the job?

MRT needs a complete overhaul.

Spend lah, spend $100 billion on buses!

Before we jump into this topic,

DO TAKE NOTE.

SBS and SMRT are entirely two different companies that are providing transportation services in Singapore. GET THIS CLEAR.

This is the first time the NEL Line experienced such an event. SMRT breaking down and SBS breaking down are two mutually exclusive events.

SMRT owns every other line except the NEL Line.

Let it be, everyone makes mistakes. Nothing is perfect.

Voicing out now isn't going to make an issue. If it persists, then noises must be made.

To my haters

tumblr_lyvcydojUK1qk1wguo1_400.gif

To my lovers

tumblr_lta7y9fb5B1qafrh6.gif

Guest Guest

This is the first time the NEL Line experienced such an event.

First time? FIRST TIME????

From http://en.wikipedia....h_East_MRT_Line

Line Disruptions

On 24 July 2006, passengers on board a NEL train headed for HarbourFront MRT Station were evacuated after it stalled in the tunnel due to a loss of traction power around 12:45 p.m. The breakdown occurred when the overhead power lines in the tunnel were dislodged and disconnected after a faulty insulator supporting them gave way. Electricity was cut off from the train. It was reported that commuters in the tunnel saw sparks and heard a loud bang before the train halted. Passengers had to walk a distance of about 200m back to Outram Park Station as a result. 100,000 commuters were affected by the disruption for seven hours that day, with shuttle buses plying the affected sections of the line. An investigation was carried out during the period of ten months after the incident. The Land Transport Authority announced that operator SBS Transit will not be fined or penalised for the disruption, adding the fault was due to a faulty part and not negligence. Investigations pointed to the quality of the ceramic insulators made by Ceralep Sn. The LTA said Ceralep had examined all 251 insulators in stock and are free of defects. The LTA said the dislodged wires did not pose a danger to the passengers on the train, since a circuit breaker would have been tripped by the incident.

In September 2006, another electrical fault disrupted train services for an hour. SBS Transit said the breakdown was due to a faulty electrical relay, a type of switch. The defective relay led to a replacement of about 200 relays made by Relais Electroniques Deutsch.

On 21 April 2010, train services were disrupted due to technical faults with the signalling and communication systems. Passengers were informed that the trains were delayed and they are to utilize alternate means of transport. Though train services resumed after 9:45, commuters complained it is still slow.

On 1 March 2011, a technical fault with a signalling system track module disrupted train services between the Outram Park and HarbourFront MRT stations. The disruption lasted for about an hour, from around 2.30pm.

On 20 Dec 2011, the North-East Line suffered a signalling fault that affected two trains at about 7:45am. This caused a 20-minute delay between Outram Park and HarbourFront MRT stations. Two trains were stopped in the tunnel as engineers worked to reset the system. Announcements were made to passengers on its trains and station platforms along the line about the delay. Full train service were resumed at 8:05am.

:rolleyes:

Well then, my bad on my misinformed information.

Nonetheless, it was 4 years before another incident happened. Who is to say that every creation is perfected?

We can't tell if whatever that happened is an oversight on their part, or negligence. What we do know is that they at least try. The media tells us one thing, but it could be another in the background.

It was well taken care of; SMRT and SBS actually did try. There really isn't any reason to shoot them down anymore than that. They are already trying harder and they know how important it is. The scale of this damage is not as severe; people can still take alternative routes to their destination, and it seems that the faulty parts belonged to Outram Park and Harbourfront areas, from what you've mentioned over there.

To my haters

To my lovers

In this case, could the Minister of transport/Ceo of these companies not take higher salaries than USA president?

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

In this case, could the Minister of transport/Ceo of these companies not take higher salaries than USA president?

not only that, they keep sucking us dry by increasing the fares despite them already being multi-million profit-making companies. not hard to guess who are behind it.

Guest Elite

Well then, my bad on my misinformed information.

It was well taken care of; SMRT and SBS actually did try. There really isn't any reason to shoot them down anymore than that.

YOu sound like you were borned yesterday. You need to open your eyes wide, listen more and do your research. Nobody like to jump conclusion, but if you keep shitting in your pants, than you better do an overhaul and go for thorough health screening, otherwise it stinks and don't expect us to bear with it.

Let me justify my points:

In this country where I was taught by the ruling party everything must be perfect, nobody should slack, and the best must be streamed out at every level in school educations and we need to be ahead in everything at all cost and race to top of the world with spur in our hide or get shamed at national level. Than such incident cannot be excused and head must roll. We want the best - that is Singapore hardcore moto.

Please, i'm being nice here. Don't need to sound so insinuating. I'm just stating my side of views.

I'm not patriotic; neither do I see a need to blow up some things. Sure, I don't read much on the news, or I'm not that caught up. Bear with me, but Singapore is a limited country.

If this is your view, then I suggest you do not continue replying me because we would be at loggerheads on this issue.

You were taught this; doesn't necessarily mean you have to abide by it.

Edited by Rhyn Chan

To my haters

To my lovers

Kool someone states Obama"s salary is 400k, does anyone include all the perks? Mrs Obama is a known fan of Jason wu n several designers. Does she wear the same branded twice? Does all those designer duds come from Obama"s 400k? This is only one of the endless perks. It's the same as those CEO who says they just earn $1 in salary during financial crisis, what what abt the perks. Our system is not perfect, at least mrs lhl do not have a closet budget the annual salary of a high ranking executive.

When a system like the MRT is used by millions of people per day, over time, it is subjected to wear and tear. The only way to tell and prevent such problems is to have regular inspections, but even so, given the length of the tunnels, cables etc. there is no foolproof way to spot and prevent issues like this from happening.

Love. 

Guest Truth

Like most intelligent Singaporeans, I strongly feel that public transportation should never have had been privatised. MRT and bus fares are way higher than necessary and generally SMRT is doing a poor job for a first world country like ours. I'm not blaming them for unforeseen circumstances and breakdowns, but it's about time to revise their inhumane fares at this horrible level of congestion. And stop comparing with countries that are worse off, because that's no excuse for all the shit. Why don't they compare ministerial salaries with countries that are worse off then? Or compare the salaries of top management of railways in Japan with that of SMRT then?

And on top of that, has anybody noticed times when the screen does not show arrival timing of the next train, and after like a few minutes to even up to 10 mins(once I experienced that), the screen suddenly flashed, showing "6 mins"?! Shouldn't they just show the time and not keep us in the dark and pretend that the max waiting time is 6 mins(for red line I think because purple and circle lines do show more than 6 mins if I'm not wrong)????

So why why why does even public transport that is extremely uncomfortable have to be that expensive(people to whom money is not a problem, please zip it)?

Guest Truth

Oh and just fyi my dear BWers, my friend's father work in SMRT as just some engineer or manager or that sort. He earns about 5k per mth, and last year he'd gotten like more than 6 bonuses? Each bonus can be like one to three mths' salary?? All I rmb was that he kept getting bonus after bonus after bonus after bonus. Working in SMRT is one of those jobs that earn money from(and take unjustifiable amounts money) those in need(and the poor), and this nobody can refute(other than those working for SMRT, of course).

Guest rowen
Like most intelligent Singaporeans, I strongly feel that public transportation should never have had been privatised. MRT and bus fares are way higher than necessary and generally SMRT is doing a poor job for a first world country like ours. I'm not blaming them for unforeseen circumstances and breakdowns, but it's about time to revise their inhumane fares at this horrible level of congestion. And stop comparing with countries that are worse off, because that's no excuse for all the shit. Why don't they compare ministerial salaries with countries that are worse off then? Or compare the salaries of top management of railways in Japan with that of SMRT then? And on top of that, has anybody noticed times when the screen does not show arrival timing of the next train, and after like a few minutes to even up to 10 mins(once I experienced that), the screen suddenly flashed, showing "6 mins"?! Shouldn't they just show the time and not keep us in the dark and pretend that the max waiting time is 6 mins(for red line I think because purple and circle lines do show more than 6 mins if I'm not wrong)???? So why why why does even public transport that is extremely uncomfortable have to be that expensive(people to whom money is not a problem, please zip it)?

Since you brought up the topic about MRt information screen , haven't anyone wondered why MRT only installed one LCD information screen at the far corner of one platform so that when you are on one far end of the platform ,furthest from the screen you can't see the info unless you walk to the end with the info screen.

In many other countries I visited , Korea , Japan and Taiwan Hongkong, there are more than one information display screen on the dame side of the platform so that , just once glance tells you what you wanna know.

Anyone know if this is another Saw Phaik Hwa masterpiece in cost cutting or the Smrt is covering their own backside from public complaints in case , one of the screen shows discrpancy in time of arrival.

haha.

Guest Guest

The screen are strategically placed at both end so the crowd does not clogged right in the middle of the platform where the escalator is.

• 1 month later...
Guest NeverSayNey

This happened at Circle Line today (18th April, 2012), yesterday I was also stucked at Boon Lay during peak hour too. :o

I extrapolated from the past MRT breakdowns :yuk: and have arrived to conclusion this is all part of Government's conspiracy! :ph34r: As you see when you travel before the peak hour, especially before 0700 hrs, you are less likely to be involved in these sort travelling inconveniences. Observing from the past few years, the government has been trying to entice commuters to travel in non-peak hours (USING discounts for off peak early commuting), make a change by sacrificing their beauty sleep to travel early. This means that the government is using breakdowns as a way to change certain Singaporeans or demographic groups to change their daily travelling patterns, either by commuting in buses, taxi, driving, carpooling or taking trains at an earlier timing, to avoid such incidents. But, this has happened too frequently (almost daily basis), and I am irked by SMRT and SBS Transit. :angry:

Is this all part of Government's plan/ conspiracy and are you willing to change your travelling patterns, commute during off-peak hours, even if you have to sacrifice your sleep? :unsure:

e6b7affa.jpg

Guest Guest
Please, it's not even "on a daily basis", breakdowns are happening a few times per day!!

I agree too! As for government conspiracy, if it is true, their current plan to change travelling patterns might just not be that efficacious. In order to ameliorate the peak hour problems, there must be a more comprehensive plan to change current employers to cooperate with government to allow employees to either work at home or arrive work at a later time, not the usual 8 or 9 a.m sharp :thumb:

Guest MRTBoiCryToday

3 bridging buses which can't take on commuters because drivers 'haven't been told where to go

TODAY reporter at Marymount says there's 3 bridging buses which can't take on commuters because drivers 'haven't been told where to go'. Frustrated members of the public turn to hailing cabs instead. :clap:

Guest Guest

3 bridging buses which can't take on commuters because drivers 'haven't been told where to go

TODAY reporter at Marymount says there's 3 bridging buses which can't take on commuters because drivers 'haven't been told where to go'. Frustrated members of the public turn to hailing cabs instead. :clap:

LATEST 30 mins ago

Yahoo! Singapore Newsroom

Bus bridging at bishan mrt. Several bridging buses waiting but commuters all packing into one bus. No clear direction or queues. Even mrt service staff seem to be a little confused.

Guest Guest

This is what we get for paying higher transport cost & their million dollar pay cheque.

Transport system sucks, they told us they will improve it but it has become only worse. Longer waiting hours, packed trains & buses, more breakdowns, accidents.

I m truly disappointed & disgusted by them

This is ridiculous. Circle Line is a wholly new line and it's experiencing all sorts of problems ever since the full track was opened.

Cut back on material stuff?

"You like who you like lah. Who cares if someone likes the other someone because of their race? It's when they hate them. That's the problem."

Orked (acted by Sharifah Amani) in SEPET (2004, directed by Yasmin Ahmad)

My Present from SMRT for being late for work! :twisted:

NoLN7.jpg

do companies actually accept such explanation? wont the bosses ask the employees to find other modes of transport?

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

Guest Guest
do companies actually accept such explanation? wont the bosses ask the employees to find other modes of transport?

A proof receipt is better than nothing. ^_^ Other modes of transport like taxi is overbooked!

The MRT breakdown seems to be a daily occurence nowadays.

Maybe the media should only make a report on the days when there is no breakdowns instead of reporting the breakdown everyday.

Lets just take it that the MRT is going to breakdown when you are going to work and prepare for all contingencies and treat it as a bonus if you manage to get a smooth ride to work.

Remember the good old days when everything works in sg, even the coin operated public phones . Alas those are the days.

With the COE prices skyrocketing, maybe we should all just start walking to work everyday

Guest Blaidd_drwg

This happened at Circle Line today (18th April, 2012), yesterday I was also stucked at Boon Lay during peak hour too. :o

I extrapolated from the past MRT breakdowns :yuk: and have arrived to conclusion this is all part of Government's conspiracy! :ph34r: As you see when you travel before the peak hour, especially before 0700 hrs, you are less likely to be involved in these sort travelling inconveniences. Observing from the past few years, the government has been trying to entice commuters to travel in non-peak hours (USING discounts for off peak early commuting), make a change by sacrificing their beauty sleep to travel early. This means that the government is using breakdowns as a way to change certain Singaporeans or demographic groups to change their daily travelling patterns, either by commuting in buses, taxi, driving, carpooling or taking trains at an earlier timing, to avoid such incidents. But, this has happened too frequently (almost daily basis), and I am irked by SMRT and SBS Transit. :angry:

Is this all part of Government's plan/ conspiracy and are you willing to change your travelling patterns, commute during off-peak hours, even if you have to sacrifice your sleep? :unsure:

e6b7affa.jpg

What conspiracy sia... Joker. Correlation does not imply causation.

Simply, it is a system taken to its limits; a conclusion derived by Occam's Razor.

On the matter of complaining, I've noticed that people have the mindset of depending too much from the Government. In days of old, the mentality was: I have a single objective but a multitude of methods to achieve it. Today, the mentality is: I have a single objective and a few rigid methods (if not only ONE method) to achieve it.

When the cost of these inconveniences outweighs the benefit, it is simply a matter of substituting methods (creative thinking). What's the use of complaining? It is not like God will hear you and lo and behold, a miracle will happen.

You are the consumer with the dollar vote. If SMRT and SBS do nonsense, you can always move away from their services and see them make losses. They will pay for their incompetence.

But oh well, with such rigid mentalities, people will put up with the inconvenience and vent their frustrations, playing the victim game.

Guest Guest

This is happening too frequently and I am not a rich person who can afford to drive. Hope that they will solve the problem soon.

What conspiracy sia... Joker. Correlation does not imply causation. Simply, it is a system taken to its limits; a conclusion derived by Occam's Razor. On the matter of complaining, I've noticed that people have the mindset of depending too much from the Government. In days of old, the mentality was: I have a single objective but a multitude of methods to achieve it. Today, the mentality is: I have a single objective and a few rigid methods (if not only ONE method) to achieve it. When the cost of these inconveniences outweighs the benefit, it is simply a matter of substituting methods (creative thinking). What's the use of complaining? It is not like God will hear you and lo and behold, a miracle will happen. You are the consumer with the dollar vote. If SMRT and SBS do nonsense, you can always move away from their services and see them make losses. They will pay for their incompetence. But oh well, with such rigid mentalities, people will put up with the inconvenience and vent their frustrations, playing the victim game.

Guest Guest
I agree too! As for government conspiracy, if it is true, their current plan to change travelling patterns might just not be that efficacious. In order to ameliorate the peak hour problems, there must be a more comprehensive plan to change current employers to cooperate with government to allow employees to either work at home or arrive work at a later time, not the usual 8 or 9 a.m sharp :thumb:

Employers should state that you can come to work anytime you like as long as you provide me with the results that I want!

Guest Guest

“Minor” train delay along North-South line yesterday evening due to ‘track fault’

(written on on April 20, 2012)

One day after a MASSIVE breakdown caused train services along the Circle Line to be suspended for more than two hours, SMRT is hit by yet another ‘minor’ disruption yesterday evening.

According to one commuter Winnie Loh, trains traveling along the North-South line from Dhoby Ghaut towards Jurong East are delayed and the journey was ‘jerky’:

“Train delay due to track fault now from Dhoby Ghaut towards JE. Passengers asked to disembark at Orchard but less than half did as per announcement as it was unclear and there wasn’t any SMRT staff to direct. So those who remain stayed on and the train continued on its jerky journey.”

Another commuter Brillyn Du added:

“SMRT announced there is some problem with the track and there will be delay, and they apologize for the delay. Very jerkish to orchard.”

The latest train disruption brought a chorus of disapproval from commuters who lampooned SMRT on Twitter:

smrt1904.jpg

Meanwhile, a train was also reported to be stuck at Lakeside MRT station for more than 15 minutes in the morning.

There are no announcements from SMRT or reports in the media on the latest train delay which is becoming a part and parcel of daily life in Singapore.

On the matter of complaining, I've noticed that people have the mindset of depending too much from the Government. In days of old, the mentality was: I have a single objective but a multitude of methods to achieve it. Today, the mentality is: I have a single objective and a few rigid methods (if not only ONE method) to achieve it.

your train of thought remained me of someone with a diff nick but similarly myopic, please see a Macro view before talking down.

We can choose not to rely on the government "that much", then:

(1) don't ask for our votes & don't justify the million dollar salary.

Like you said, we have the consumer dollar, so this is like going to a hospital for treatment or any other retails, you pay, you get the service you deserve "depending too much on them is just an excuse".

(2) don't restrict too much

Bearing in mind: they have a significant part to play in allowing ONLY SMRT and SBS transit to operate. By creating a monopoly, they cut out other possible competitors (who like you so cleverly pointed out may provide an alternative or may operate more efficiently), (pls don't counter argue with cabs as they are a different consumption, in case you didn't know), they also rejected proposals of nationalizing the buses & trains (claiming that privatized company operates better, yet they contradict themselves by using 1billion of taxpayers money to support a so-called private company, saying is for our benefit - can any private or listed company come to you and say I m not operating with profit, please give me 1billion? The excuse of not buying more fleets will result in poorer service is also not acceptable - who pushed in so many people in such a short time without realizing the consequence? I thought they were forward looking. Now Singaporeans are to pay for this inconvenience? They also mentioned that if bus companies were to buy the vehicles on their own, fare will hike. Why can't they stop them from a price hike? Afraid bus company suffer a loss? Then let other players come in.

If they want to tell you this cannot work! That also not effective, then:

Their method jolly well MUST work.

Otherwise, don't shift focus and tell us we rely too much on them. Who is the one playing victim?

Edited by Love2Blow

Bearing in mind: they have a significant part to play in allowing ONLY SMRT and SBS transit to operate. By creating a monopoly, they cut out other possible competitors (who like you so cleverly pointed out may provide an alternative or may operate more efficiently), (pls don't counter argue with cabs as they are a different consumption, in case you didn't know), they also rejected proposals of nationalizing the buses & trains (claiming that privatized company operates better, yet they contradict themselves by using 1billion of taxpayers money to support a so-called private company, saying is for our benefit - can any private or listed company come to you and say I m not operating with profit, please give me 1billion? The excuse of not buying more fleets will result in poorer service is also not acceptable - who pushed in so many people in such a short time without realizing the consequence? I thought they were forward looking. Now Singaporeans are to pay for this inconvenience? They also mentioned that if bus companies were to buy the vehicles on their own, fare will hike. Why can't they stop them from a price hike? Afraid bus company suffer a loss? Then let other players come in.

in summary, privatise the profit and socialise the cost.

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

结缘不结

不解缘

看穿不说穿

The majority if not all of these disruptions occured during the peak hours. Assuming all trains have a equal chance to break down. More trains deployed = more chance for a train to break down during a certain period. In addition, the trains are more loaded during the peak hours, putting more stress on the trains. If you say that it's a way for the garhmen to push people to get to work earlier, how do you explain the evening breakdowns when there's no discounts?

I have a feeling all these are happening is because SMRT let their problems snowballed. Just look at the COI. They only checked the trains a few days after the December breakdowns and complete checks were only done after a month. New problems may have came out during this period which they have to delay, causing a backlog of problems left unsolved.

I was reading about the hearing about the MRT breakdown on the paper. And notice MRT seems not to train their people to handle emergency.

Don't you ever think if one day terrorist attack I believe lots of us will be 'die cock standing'.

I seriously doubt we could handle any sudden situation. All those big talk of readiness are bullshit and for show.

And so far we are lucky , no injuries or death. But who knows when our luck might expire.

This is my personal opinion.

Guest Guest

A bunch of f88king CB Kias, cunts, and pussy !!

During the COI, SMRT mentioned that the infrastructure or tracks are managed by LTA and not SMRT. So, the fault (claws CRAP) lies with Lui and his predecessor - Want Millions $$$ salary but not the WORKS !!! Yet, gave themselves filthy high increment !!! KANNIN LAOBU AYE PUA CHEE BYE to these MOTHERF88KERS !!!!

SMRT management - f88king cogenital LIARS !!!!

When the train power was cut, they claimed that standby power was cut in and air con was still running. YOU MOTHERF88KING LIARS, fxxk YOU DEAD !!!! What did the train driver said in the COI ??

The drivers said that when the power was cut, they can't communicate through the intercom system, they had to call the central control station with their mobile phones !!! This shows that the backup system DID NOT WORK !!! Who is SMRT trying to KID ??? F88king CB Kias !!!

Guest Guest

Got a tweet earlier: people are complaining!

Example: Nowadays mrt trains touch abit of water will breakdown? I tinking why 80-90 tat time when I took the train in the heavy rain the train would go slow lor. It juz travel like normal. Now is like sai. Wasting our tax payers $$$, pui!!!

SMRT Corporation ‏ @SMRT_Singapore

Trains are travelling slower on North-South and East-West lines due to cautious driving in wet weather.

Safely arrive to destination or Crash to Death? Choose 1

Isnt it typical of our working culture and mindset?

Our training is always based on fair weather.

Whenever there is a crisis, there is no Plan B.

Almost everyone points to someone or something rather than ourselves.

Are we prepared for emergencies?

I commute daily and would like to say, the passenger load had definitely gone up.

Now I avoid boarding the train before 9.10 am.

Yes, I have the luxury of reporting to work at 9.45 am but that also means, I end my day later.

At 7.15 pm, the trains (purple-line) is still packed.

So what should be the solution?

Guest Blaidd_drwg

your train of thought remained me of someone with a diff nick but similarly myopic, please see a Macro view before talking down.

We can choose not to rely on the government "that much", then:

(1) don't ask for our votes & don't justify the million dollar salary.

Like you said, we have the consumer dollar, so this is like going to a hospital for treatment or any other retails, you pay, you get the service you deserve "depending too much on them is just an excuse".

If they want to tell you this cannot work! That also not effective, then:

Their method jolly well MUST work.

Otherwise, don't shift focus and tell us we rely too much on them. Who is the one playing victim?

A quote for you (and practically every Singaporean, if not every citizen in every nation on this Earth):

"Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country" - President John F. Kennedy

Political parties (PAP, WP, RP) in a "democracy" have interests in garnering populist votes. On, high ministerial pay, I also see no justification in keeping the status quo. But that topic can be discussed in another thread. Having dealt with these two irrelevant topics, I will now move on to the main issue.

Government does have an interest in maintaining this "natural" monopoly in the land transportation market since they have a partial stake in these "private" companies. I could bring in taxis since they are also within this market (although like you have said, they are a different form of consumption, they nonetheless work in the same market), as a matter of fact. But I do not need to because the general population does not use taxis as their main means of commuting. Cost outweighs its benefits (with exceptions).

Rejection of nationalising public transport is founded upon economic theory: cost-benefit theory and moral hazard. I, however, vehemently opposed the 1 billion tax-payer investment in purchasing new vehicles for the companies, with no strings-attached too. It wreaks of the same economic unsoundness as nationalising public transportation. But this is what you get when you pressure governments into populist and not economically rational policies. That's why I said, don't depend on government ever more than required because eventually, the ugly head of populism will pop out and ruin the country. Look at populist USA and see how stupid they are.

Today, many want the government to solve most things, if not everything, for them. It is this intertwining of interests which sets the stage for a country's ruin. I would rather have a mean, rational government than a soft-hearted, populist government because we know which one tends to succeed better (historically in Singapore, this has been shown).

This government (or at least the current long-standing one) has a policy of not touching prices directly as much as possible. If you study an economic background of Singapore's development or a single piece of economic literature, you will understand that prices are valuable signals of information and tinkering with them can cause a significant influence on the economy (more so than meets the layman's simple eyes). Again, subject to cost-benefit analysis, if it is more beneficial to tinker with prices, then government will do so (as the last of all methods. Die, die the last choice).

Their method jolly well MUST not necessarily work (I think all the recent politicking is one of the causes of this Republic's recent problems; “Please do not assume that you can change governments. Young people don’t understand this” - Lee Kuan Yew on the results of the 2006 election). My focus is to strike into the hearts of all about their non-resourcefulness in dealing with problems. Again, simple economic theory: If your cost outweighs your benefit in considering a choice, you will definitely not make that choice.

To show your solidarity as a resident of your respective estates in view of recent events, why not co-ordinate among yourselves for a private estate transportation system, fully-funded by the residents themselves, for themselves. The estate which co-ordinates best can slowly buy up the other estates. Afterall, when a public good fails, the tendency for the Free Market to intervene is always natural.

Or a less radical approach, car-pooling. It can be among neighbours or fellow co-workers.

For a more formal approach to this (especially so if we are dealing with people who do not own cars), co-ordinate it under your respective unions or within your company.

Let alone, I have already proposed 3 alternatives (I do not consider buying a car for individual use as an alternative for the general public; maybe as a family, yes) and I know that there can be ever more if people were to think harder.

And if you were to rebut this entirely economic argument with your insistence for government to jolly well make it work, I can tell you by economic theory that you obviously have not placed your cost above your benefit for using SMRT and SBS to the point you would move away your dollar vote from the companies and consider placing your money in alternatives. Please continue using their dying and ruinous services at your discretion.

You partake in the national past-time of complaining (which is always a victim's tactic in response to a problem; and so I answer another question of yours) and lose on all fronts. Whatever is worth complaining about would have been already acted upon for a solution, by a productive and rational person.

Guest You are SO funny, Blaidd

A quote for you (and practically every Singaporean, if not every citizen in every nation on this Earth):

"Ask not what your country can do for you; ask what you can do for your country" - President John F. Kennedy

Political parties (PAP, WP, RP) in a "democracy" have interests in garnering populist votes. On, high ministerial pay, I also see no justification in keeping the status quo. But that topic can be discussed in another thread. Having dealt with these two irrelevant topics, I will now move on to the main issue......

As always, reading your post makes me laugh, it is someone trying to act smart and in the know, but merely taking already known “facts”, "hashed" (rephrased) and discussed like a pro.

Giving us a quote is to begin is such a cliché, you think you are writing GP paper? Also the quote wasn’t relevant, by using this quote, you have assumed and equated country to government, we didn’t.

You mentioned: “Political parties (PAP, WP, RP) in a "democracy" have interests in garnering populist votes” ----- this is superfluous. Which political party in a "democratic" system doesn't?

On your note that “high ministerial pay… irrelevant topics” ----- it is RELEVANT, very relevant. And many of us have addressed that in this or other threads. If government wants to justify this type of pay, they must provide the quality this pay deserves. Similar to market and economic forces like you claimed many times in your post.

You mentioned: “Government does have an interest in maintaining this "natural" monopoly in the land transportation market since they have a partial stake in these "private" companies" ----- wah piang, uncle, we all know lah, anything new or not.

You mentioned: "taxis ... “within this market” ----- guys, anyone DIDN'T know that taxi is ALSO a form of transport? hahahahahaha! My point was it is a different FORM of CONSUMPTION and hence cannot be compared "apple to apple". So it is NOT an alternative (consumption pattern to be MOST SPECIFIC liao, can't make it clearer for you). Err your point about “Cost outweighs its benefits (with exceptions)” HAHAHAHAHAHA, thanks for telling us something so obvious. You are SO WISE.

You mentioned:” Rejection of nationalising public transport is founded upon economic theory: cost-benefit theory and moral hazard." ----- LTA minister Liu said liao loh, you just saw it from Straits Times? Hahahaha! Wah lao eh, really laugh until peng san.

You mentioned: “But this is what you get when you pressure governments into populist and not economically rational policies.” ----- This is your assumption. You assumed that the policy was economical and rational. Economic to who, rational to who, who gets the benefits? If it is that economical and rational, why did they have to use 1 billion taxpayers money to "RESOLVE" problems created from this supposedly ECONOMICALLY RATIONAL policy leh?

You mentioned” “don't depend on government ever more than required” ----- You mentioned earlier that you were focusing on the MAIN issue, I think you were the one who missed the issue. We are not depending on the government EVER MORE. We are talking about PUBLIC TRANSPORT, and the drop in service is partially due to maintenance and the surge in commuters. They caused the PROBLEM, they fix it. We are not asking or depending on them FOR MORE. If we were to take your argument, is the public supposed to solve the problem for them? When the MRT breaks down, are commuters supposed to step out of the cabin to push the train, or should we roll up our sleeves to change the tracks? Maybe some kids can try powering the electricity and see if the train will move again? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

You mentioned: “Today, many want the government to solve most things, if not everything, for them. It is this intertwining of interests which sets the stage for a country's ruin.” ----- give us a break, don’t act like you are a political analyst or an old man who have seen it all. You are the one who missed the main point, we are discussing THIS SPECIFIC issue of MRT and PUBLIC TRANSPORT, don’t “intertwine” other issues in here and claim that we want government to solve most things. This is, I quote you "IRRELEVANT", why don't you start a separate thread on this?

You mentioned: “prices are valuable signals of information and tinkering with them can cause a significant influence on the economy (more so than meets the layman's simple eyes). “ ----- YES! THANKS for enlightening us time and again! We didn't know prices are signals and we didn't know it influence the economy until you've mentioned. That is why we didn't know anything about inflation, we didn't have any response when there is a price hike. Now that you have mentioned this ROCKET SCIENCE knowledge, we layman know finally! Such direct and simply stuff you think you found the holy grail. You are such a joker!

You mentioned: “Please do not assume that you can change governments. Young people don’t understand this” - Lee Kuan Yew on the results of the 2006 election) ----- We know you understand! You are not young I supposed, still referring to 2006 election? Hahahahahahahahaha! There was a WATERSHED election in 2011 for your information. I quote for you (http://www.bbc.co.uk...acific-13313695)

---------------------------------------

Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong agreed it was a "watershed election".

Politics in the tiny but hugely wealthy state have been dominated by the current ruling party since independence in 1965.

'Distinct shift'

"It marks a distinct shift in our political landscape," Mr Lee told an early morning news conference on Sunday.

"Many [singaporeans] wish for the government to adopt a different style and approach," he said. "Many desire to see more opposition voices in parliament to check the PAP government."

He said his party would undergo some "soul-searching" and expressed willingness to work with lawmakers from the opposition.

----------------------------

The government can't changed huh? You are SOOOOOOOO right!

Ok, I have to go for dinner now. You should really think harder and deeper before you try to act like a prof you know. Be professional about playing a professional mah. I am not one of the talented ones and I can see you write SO much but they weigh SO litter. Don't let those heavy weights "humptum" you. Shame to death............

Guest Guest

....... I am not one of the talented ones and I can see you write SO much but they weigh SO litter. Don't let those heavy weights "humptum" you. Shame to death............

"little" not "litter" :)

These 2 are funny:

You mentioned” “don't depend on government ever more than required ----- .....is the public supposed to solve the problem for them? When the MRT breaks down, are commuters supposed to step out of the cabin to push the train, or should we roll up our sleeves to change the tracks? Maybe some kids can try powering the electricity and see if the train will move again? ..........

You mentioned: “Please do not assume that you can change governments. Young people don’t understand this” - Lee Kuan Yew on the results of the 2006 election) ----- ....... still referring to 2006 election? Hahahahahahahahaha! There was a WATERSHED election in 2011 for your information.

Bravo!

Guest Guest

You mentioned: “Please do not assume that you can change governments. Young people don’t understand this” - Lee Kuan Yew on the results of the 2006 election) ----- ....... still referring to 2006 election? Hahahahahahahahaha! There was a WATERSHED election in 2011 for your information.

I totally lost it when Blaidd came in with his GP-paper mumbo-jumbo posting.

But this post about LKY vs the 2011 elections is so true and shows just how out of touch the old man is.

Don't sue me ok! :whistle:

Guest Guest 2

I totally lost it when Blaidd came in with his GP-paper mumbo-jumbo posting.

But this post about LKY vs the 2011 elections is so true and shows just how out of touch the old man is.

Don't sue me ok! :whistle:

The last line is cute :thumb: he where got time to sue you? People busy preparing GP paper retake lah..........don't disturb him, don't know how many tries liao, fail again har, cry also no tears come out (just pee and poo out......cannot control bowel mah............. :D:P:lol::D:P:lol: )

Don't sue me also hor..........

• Guest locked this topic