Male HQ

Travel To Burma / Myanmar

kyushuman

I'm going to Burma for about 2 weeks, in late July. Checking to see if there's any updated info, since things seem to be changing so quickly there! I see now there are budget flights from BKK, KUL, and SIN--quite a few choices!

I plan to do Yangon, Bagan, and Mandalay, pretty standard stops I guess, and it is rainy season, so I'm prepared for horrible infrastructure, etc. I'll report back when I return, but if anyone's been there in 2012, I'd love to know more!

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I was in Burma recently. What kind of info do you wanna know?

Probably the most important thing is to bring enough USD for your trip as there are no ATMs and very few places that accept credit cards. And make sure your notes are crisp and clean. Most people won't accept notes that are faded or folded.

The exchange rates for kyat are better for $100 compared to $20. You can exchange money at your hotel but surprisingly the rates at the airport in Heho was the best I had.

I visited Yangon, Bagan, Mandalay, Inle and Kyaiktiyo in 2 weeks but only one trip was by bus (Mandalay to Bagan). I took the plane to save time but that increased my spend by a few hundred dollars.

Lastly, if you're against the junta, do your research beforehand on the airlines and hotels to avoid.

I got all I need to know from Lonely Planet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.