Male HQ

Ipad Air

GKS

Rather the iPad Air, i'm tempted to sell my current iPad mini for an iPad mini with Retina Display.  :mellow:

Haha. It's just the retina display. Worth the additional bucks? Maybe if you watch high res movies.

I want them all anyway.... the new MacBook Pro, the new MacBook Air and new iPad Air.

Not the iPhone 5s though.....

Lol. What's wrong with the iPhone 5S?

It's boring lor, I want something new, new design, something, I don't know!!!!  :)

Not sure a retina display on a mini is worth the change though.... it's so small already

Yeah. I am getting the Air since the Mini may be a bit too small for me. The difference in weight is not that great.

Haha. It's just the retina display. Worth the additional bucks? Maybe if you watch high res movies.

Lol. What's wrong with the iPhone 5S?

It's text and icon elements that will be much sharper on the retina display even for small font sizes. So if you use the iPad to read a lot, then retina display is a must nowadays.

yah lor not even exciting, whats the hype?

they are now just good at minimal modification, market out like something brand new and earn naive consumers' money

If you are treating these gadgets as solely fashion statements, then there is nothing else I can say.

Internally, there is a major technology update from the previous generation - going from 32-bit to 64-bit. If you are not a developer, it may not mean a big deal to you. But for developers, it means a lot.

Let's take one example: Apple GarageBand for iOS. It started off with 8 tracks which means to say you lay down up to 8 different instruments and/or with overlays, and each tracks can have different audio adjustments. If you want to add a 9th or more instruments or overlays, you need to merge existing tracks to clear space for a free track. That means you also lose the ability to individually audio adjust the different instruments or overlays that is merged into a single track.

With iOS 7, the software engineers are able to optimise GarageBand to give you 16 tracks on iOS devices with A5, A5X, A6 & A6X CPU/GPU (all 32-bit), but on A7 (64-bit) chip, the track count goes up to 32 with each track having their own sound adjustments (like software EQ, compressors, etc.). 32 audio tracks may seems a lot for most users, but musicians will love those extra tracks. So instead of recording one track of the whole choir, you can dedicate one track for the soloist, one track for the soprano group, one for the alto group, one track for the tenor group and one track for the bass group, so that you can apply different EQs to the different tracks.

This is just one example for a music app. Imagine what developers will do with their app with 64-bit. Some enhancements may be subtle but it's noticeable when it is absent on 32-bit chips (because it's taken for granted?).

Edited by victorp

But to the majority of us, these are somehow details...

What does the majority do with a tablet? read, play games, watch movies, browse the internet... All the 32bits -> 64 bits is a nice enhancement indeed and yes, a better chip and GPU does give faster and better graphics in games...

But Apple has been a bit boring lately... their updates are not as exciting as in the past. In the past I HAD TO get the newest model. Now I'm just waiting for a bigger revolution :)

iPhone 6 maybe.

I feel betrayed because I bought iPad 3. They stopped the production after a year(?) it came out. I'm not too keen to buy newer iPad.

Unfortunately, technology is like this and it is not just limited to Apple; Samsung, HTC, Microsoft, Google Nexus do that.

On the other hand, which company is still giving firmware upgrades to their relatively old devices? :) 

But to the majority of us, these are somehow details...

What does the majority do with a tablet? read, play games, watch movies, browse the internet... All the 32bits -> 64 bits is a nice enhancement indeed and yes, a better chip and GPU does give faster and better graphics in games...

But Apple has been a bit boring lately... their updates are not as exciting as in the past. In the past I HAD TO get the newest model. Now I'm just waiting for a bigger revolution :)

iPhone 6 maybe.

So basically it boils down to expectations…well, what expectations are you expecting from Apple? Or even Samsung, HTC, LG, Microsoft, Google Nexus, etc.

the mini with retina display did catch my interest. i mean it's what it was meant to be all along. gotta admit it's a little more than what i wanna pay for a small tablet though.

on paper it's got that A7 chip like iphone and ipad air but.. no clock speed or indication of ram.. i duno. still considering.

whatever it is though, any apple product, incremental upgrades or not, always has everyone talking.

victorp is such an apple fanboy  :P

Well, these are the Apple hardware products I have and am still using: MacBook Pro (early 2008 model), AirPort Extreme Base Station (802.11n, 5th Generation), iPad 2 and iPhone 5.

And I don't upgrade to the latest Apple hardware unless mine broke beyond repair or features which I require for work. :)

Unfortunately, technology is like this and it is not just limited to Apple; Samsung, HTC, Microsoft, Google Nexus do that.

On the other hand, which company is still giving firmware upgrades to their relatively old devices? :)

The point being that they pulled iPad 3 from the shelves. Yet, iPad 2 is still available. How would you feel if your first ever tablet is no longer supported just after one year?

The point being that they pulled iPad 3 from the shelves. Yet, iPad 2 is still available. How would you feel if your first ever tablet is no longer supported just after one year?

Among several web sites, comments have been made by users that Apple is still making iPad 2 available more for educational institutions because of its lower price-point, companies which design Point-of-Sale system or iPad-controlled machine (these companies may have invested hardware to mount the iPad 2 or required the use of the 30-pin iPad connector, etc.), and as fault repair replacements for these uses.

Anyway, I understand your feeling but eventually you have to make the best of it. However, I think it is not fair to say your iPad 3 is no longer supported - you can still upgrade it to the latest firmware, iOS 7. Moreover, has there ever been any internal hardware expansion for iPads?

iPhone 6 maybe.

yup very disappointing. i want something NEW, not an upgrade.

no more steve jobs, apple starting to go downhill.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.