Male HQ

Any Abandonware Gamers?

Cube3

• 3 weeks later...

I used to play Anvil of Dawn (1995 RPG). Downloaded it from GOG. Also liked Tyrian and Yobi's Basic Spelling Tricks.

LOL..nice! - So, is it possible still to run such games from way back, do you know? Trying to use D-Fend Reloaded but it looks complicated (sigh). Or maybe I should target getting a Windows 98 PC, but where to find...still got meh? :(

• 2 weeks later...

Anvil of Dawn is also one of my favourites! Couldn't beat it when I was younger, but now I can say I completed it.

Love the spell effects and the puzzles. I'd cast the lightning skull spell into a portal and watch it loop through endlessly.
Also fun to collect tons of items and sort them into the sacks and chests.

Dosbox seems to be the best solution for running these old games.

D-Fend Reloaded uses DOSBox as the emulation engine and kind of like a frontend interface.
Need to provide some configuration details for D-Fend Reloaded to automate the targetted game/program execution.
Whilst using DOSBox is like dealing with a plain old key punching DOS machine.

Therefore, they are basically the same thing.

D-Fend Reloaded uses DOSBox as the emulation engine and kind of like a frontend interface.

Need to provide some configuration details for D-Fend Reloaded to automate the targetted game/program execution.

Haven't played the old games for a long time, didn't know there is now a interface version of Dosbox. Setting up and playing should be much easier, a few years back when I started using Dosbox, had to spend some time getting used to it.

Besides Anvil of Dawn, I also enjoyed Eye of the Beholder 1 and 2, never really played 3 though.

As for other genres, Theme Hospital anyone? Great hospital sim with lots of humour.

Hmmm...will be trying to install D-Fend Reloaded and run this weekend on old XP...hopefully it will work without any hitches! Wanna install Romance of 3 Kingdoms 1: wipe out all the enemies ( * on Pink Dot Day)...Will also try Civilisation 1.

Enjoyed playing Eye of Beholder! :clap:

In case you have not received any PM yet...

Need not to be old XP but, depends on game requirements, it might hurt the execution speed if machine specs is too low.

I find it easier to run DOS game or program by using the default DOSBox setup came with D-Fend.

2uxybmd.jpg

I added a folder S pointing to the CD-ROM drive and D to a folder (Z:\[ DOS ]\GAMES\) :-

(1) containing the games segregated accordingly

(2) for holding the to-be installed games

(3) for dumping all sorts of rubbish.
The added drives did not conflict with my Windows drives and seems only valid in the DOSBox.
That's just my preference and you can leave everything in the default folder managed by D-Fend.

54aix4.jpg

I unchecked the 'Close DOSBox when program closes' in case something went wrong and any error messages is a good help.

2qcdlyp.jpg

Double clicked the entry (DOSBox) and it started then idled at drive C as shown.

Not much there except the 2 folders where DOS system files reside.

CD-ROM drive and other folders were accessible after the addition.

mn2iir.jpg

2mq9b21.jpg

Proceed with game installation and such. Some games execute right away without installation.
Repeat for more games.
By then it maybe time to create individual profile by referencing the installed game to save the need of punching keys and changing directory in the DOSBox.

Here, Lara Croft and her notorious pointy breast if you are into, well you know, that sort of things.

r2suvm.jpg

Create profile with 'Add with Wizard...' (F3) has an option to run old Windows games/program.
Haven't tried though as the Windows games I played seems to be running fine without emulation.

Hey Tihocan tks a million!

I fiddled with D-fend this evening a little and managed to load Romance of Three Kingdoms 1 and Ragnarok. So am happy for now! Mostly just used the Add function and used wizard to open the .exe or .bat leading to the game...

Just to clarify: your S drive is for plonking zipped files and installation stuff, while Z is for the unzipped game contents? The rationale is mainly for keeping things neat...? ^_^

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.