Male HQ

Buying High-End Used Notebooks On Ebay And Gumtree

Guest victor

Guest victor

Is that advisable given that there is no recourse to seller once the deal is done?

Any buyer here with that experience?

Why not buy it new?  Well, I can't find any running on windows 7.

No problem.

On second thought, not sure what's your concern with Windows 8.

I've been using/running same set of programs and games from Windows 7 to Windows 8 without issue.

E.g. Browsers, Media player, Flash animation, email client, GTA, NFS, Skyrim, ...

Windows 8 could boot to desktop like Windows 7 and there are free utilities to bring back the Start button and menu if you need those.

Just my experience using the new OS.

Guest victor

I was completely stumped by windows 8 mid-last year using a touch screen and vowed to stay away from it.  I cannot do without a keyboard and mouse.

I believe you are referring to 8.1?  Even then, there are grouses on the internet about 8.1 and how they will hold until windows 10(?) is released.   

Support for Windows 7 will stop in 2020, just as XP has already.  Will my notebook with win 7 last 6 years?  I don't think so. 

I believe you had been mis-informed by all the marketing gimmicks and showroom display.

There are 2 departments within Windows 8 or 8.1 (8 or 8.1 they are basically the same):
- the Metro UI cum Windows Apps
- an updated Windows 7

No, you don't need a touch screen to run Windows 8/8.1 and the Metro UI can totally be ignored.
The desktop mode is best to be used with mouse and keyboard.
Those grouses over all the places are just lack of truth and reluctancy to change/shift.
Of course you are free to choose what you want but with an informed and accepting mindset, the pool of selection opens up.

• 4 weeks later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.