Male HQ

Why Are We Often Sensitive About Being Seen Nude?

Guest wozzit

Guest wozzit

Its noticeable in a number of threads that many guys r shy about others seeing their bodies in a shower or their dicks in a urinal. I understand that for I felt the same when I was younger. I grew up in the UK n I was almost afraid of being seen without clothes. Urinating Id make sure my body was turned away so no one could see - even though my dick was nothing to b ashamed about! Yet I had this craving to see others.

I realise there r social n cultural factors at play here. Yet once I moved to Asia it amazed me that in some countries like Japan n Taiwan most guys n especially gay guys have no inhibitions about being seen openly walking around naked. When I first visited Bali it was amazing to see guys openly shower in the late afternoon completely naked. In others like Thailand most guys have the same fear of being seen. In a urinal they will move in as close as possible so no one can see. In a shower they cover their dicks with their hands.

Social norms change over time. But this feeling on not wanting others to see us nude seems to persist in most countries. I wonder why? After all, whilst there r many different shapes n sizes, to paraphrase an old song, a dick is just a dick and a male body is just a male body. 

I guess it's all about up-bringing and our culture's value.

I, personally think a majority of the ASEAN countries is brought up in such a way where we are not encouraged to show off our private part.

Exactly. When I was in the UK, most angmoh is very comfortable to change clothes and take shower openly (no cubicle) at the swimming pool changing room. I even saw two naked older men chit chat happily to each other before. At first I was a bit culturally shocked but over time I got used to it.

But now I am back in sg, so I have changed back to be more conservative at the changing room. Haha.

Basically upbringing and self-confidence.

I still feel the super awkwardness when being naked, or naked in the company of men, and would always find a cubicle to change or pee xD

giphy.gif

I guess it takes familiarity to be able to feel comfortable in such instances. 

93371-mariah-carey-letting-go-gif-jtwc.g

Freelance Reviewer Of Anything

Mariah Carey Gif Spammer

Probably the person you can talk to about anything x

What I have seen is the opposite in SEA, in an onsen in Thailand most guys there comfortably walking around naked without covering their bird. In Bali especially rural areas also same. Some cultures in SEA despite being perceived for their utmost modesty have no inhibitions whatsoever which contrary to popular believe that Westerners and East Asians are. When I was in a college, I was curious with a handsome Korean guy so one day I followed him to toilet and I stood next to him at the urinal he was quickly zipped up maybe his was quite small? In Japan's onsen its true though.

Afew young guys with good bods in my gym r very shy too.

They will even bring their long sleeve shirts and pants with them to the shower rooms.

Edited by fab

鍾意就好,理佢男定女

never argue with the guests. let them bark all they want.

结缘不结

不解缘

After I have said what I wanna say, I don't care what you say.

看穿不说穿

I have for year done my nude cycling at Changi Business Park in the night to titillate the guys cruising the park .. Non-issue for me I guess LOL.

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Because we are men so we know what goes through the dirty minds of men judging our bodies for sex. 

If we don't make them steam, then we lose face.

If we make them cock standing, then worse knowing what they want to do to us like saliva over women.

Either way make us feel shy.

In some other places like Hong Kong , I have seen many cute manly and hunky straight guys did not care who's looking when in nude , infact most felt proud to show even though they knew people are watching , sometimes smiling ..they will not give you a irritating unfriendly stare back when they notice .

I think its cultural. In korea, its normal to change clothes being naked in swimming pool or lots of public bath. Maybe we have little concept of homosexuality so sometimes make fun of friend's penis when we take shower together in those public bath. Showing naked body to same sex persons is just nothing.

I visited spain and found out lots of nudist beach place. There were for gay exclusive, but in general for everybody. I feel weird when i saw naked body of teenager girl.(because i feel nothing to see male nude because i already had trained to see it as korean. Woman's body still okay because i already saw a lot. But have never seen young girls body) maybe their naturist parents bring her i guess.

But it looks that its natural for spanish people.

I visited some south east asian countries and found out they dont wanna show their penis even in gay sauna.

Its so cultural!

I guess self-confidence level also play a part. 

Guys like kwon, i'm sure he dun mind flaunting his body and it is always a pleasure-sight in the changing room too.

Of cos, they are shy guys who has great body but feel that it is not up to standard yet, so prefer to hide.

In singapore, i have seen guys even when changing to gym attire, they go into the toilet cubicle to change.

I guess self-confidence level also play a part.

Guys like kwon, i'm sure he dun mind flaunting his body and it is always a pleasure-sight in the changing room too.

Of cos, they are shy guys who has great body but feel that it is not up to standard yet, so prefer to hide.

In singapore, i have seen guys even when changing to gym attire, they go into the toilet cubicle to change.

Well, i can say that showing body is sometimes interesting because people envy it. But being totally naked is different problem i think.

Actually i have smaller penis than europeans and south east asians.(yes. South east asian peoples got bigger than east asians in average ways i think) but im okay with being naked still.

If people feel embarrassed when they see someones body or penis is better than them ,then only good body or big penis guy will take off. But its not.

Because your physique is not well-built and feel shy about flaunting it. Take a look at male pageants or sports with well-built guys. They don't have issues going topless or nude together.

In some other places like Hong Kong , I have seen many cute manly and hunky straight guys did not care who's looking when in nude , infact most felt proud to show even though they knew people are watching , sometimes smiling ..they will not give you a irritating unfriendly stare back when they notice .

Because most straight men never even think their bodies are sexy to other men. Only gay men know what dirty thoughts other gay men are thinking about their bodies.

Clearly Justin Bieber has no qualms about walking around nude. Photos of him in all his glory on holiday in Bora Bora hv appeared in The New York Daily News. Bieber attorneys hv given the paper 12 hours to delete the photos. Theyre still available for viewing but little black squares now cover his dick. One person not concerned is the singers wacky father. He tweeted in support of the leaked photos -

making his pride in the singer’s penis clear by asking his son “what do you feed that thing”, and later referring to it as “a beaut”.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/bieber-fever-gallery-1.75917

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/oct/09/jeremy-bieber-justin-dads-comments-sexuality

Not surprisingly the pics hv ended up on a tumblr site

http://wobushishei.tumblr.com/post/130752796183/alekzmx-justin-bieber-caught-naked-but-this

I'm EXTREMELY curious where the Bali guys are showering in the open :)

This was between 25 n 30 years ago - not sure if its still true today. I used to go twice a year to stay in Ubud. It was then much less developed than it is today. It was very common around 5 pm to see guys come home from working in the rice fields go to a stream, strip off n take a bath. In my little hotel - no electricity n those days - sometimes some of the guys would just use a shower close to the swimming pool. They didnt seem to care that there were others around.

Edited by wozzit

If you have to depend on who is looking at you or whom are you with, that shows you are indeed sensitive about being seen naked. :)

hmmmm!! I think you got a point here....haha.... :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

as for me, being naked in public is never a problem. I'm Singaporean btw and I have never left this island for more than two weeks. I don't think it's because of social norm.

I was raised to be relatively conscious about my body, but I would love to have an experience of being able to be naked/ partially undressed in a common space without being judged for it. 

This was between 25 n 30 years ago - not sure if its still true today. I used to go twice a year to stay in Ubud. It was then much less developed than it is today. It was very common around 5 pm to see guys come home from working in the rice fields go to a stream, strip off n take a bath. In my little hotel - no electricity n those days - sometimes some of the guys would just use a shower close to the swimming pool. They didnt seem to care that there were others around.

I especially like the idea of being in a rural place and being able to be unclothed out in the open. Something about it feels exciting/erotic, but also very natural :) 

Imo, I do not think anyone is going to judge you if you do. not have a "nice body". "Nice body" is very subjective and as the saying goes, one man's poison is another man's meat.

Imo again, the issue that most gay men face is, gay men always think there is always someone gawking at their naked body. Seriously, no one gives a damn most of the time. We are our own devil advocate.

I am shy about being naked coz my dickhead is always showing even when flaccid.

I am curious why u think this matters to anyone but urself? There was a poll here recently when about one third of respondents said theyd been circumcised for religious or other reasons. Many Japanese guys like to walk around with their foreskin retracted. Whats the difference?

Judging from comments here it seems quite a few guys r almost ashamed of their bodies - or at least ashamed to show them to others. I suggest u try to go to a hot spring some time. In most u find many different body types n ull see all manner of dicks from long to short, thick to thin, lovely to look at n not so lovely! As blue runner wrioe in his last post most of the time "no one gives a damn" - except ourselves!

actually i think newer gen around 20-25yo Singaporean guys are much more open..might be due to NS nature.. ;)

quite often could see they go toilet pee side by side, and 1 of the fren would just sneak his head over to his other fren side..and make joke about it..and his fren was in no hurry to cover it or avoid it..and they just share the laughter together..and it would be also quite common to see they shower openly and leisurely after certain sport activities while chit chatting and not covering any of their private parts..

By 8-9 yr old, was already wearing undies and taught that being naked in public is a no no. Rarely use open urinal. Indeed was a tat shy the first few days of NS. when we had to change from civilian to uniform outside the bunk. It was a strange yet exciting feeling even thought we all had our undies on but to openly change with so many guys was a new experience. Slowly got used to the idea of showering with naked guys queuing for their turn behind you. Call it rites of passage, good ole times before the information and technology age. The NS experience evolve to open naked showers with ex school mates in public pools or alone after my swim. Unfortunately it slowly stop due to gawkers who openly stare while you shower. I still dun use urinal as there is always this strange urge to take a quick peek at the person beside, knowing that it is morally improper. Rather use the cubicle than have this metal torture. LOL

I was a bit uncomfortable as a kid being naked, but after years of being in swimming, where open showers/doorless cubicles were norm, i overcame my shyness. I figured what i have, the other guy also has. I have no problems peeing at the urinal. NS, came, communal shower etc. You just get over it. There is nothing unusual or shameful about the male body. Celebrate it. 

Love. 

I'd say its different for everyone

I have always just loved being naked since I wad 7 or 8 and going outside naked when my parents went out. Now I do so whenever I can - at home, beach, etc And I like people seeing me and yet I don't have a 'fit' body. Have modelled for life drawing artists (nude modelling) and have even considered doing some photographs of artistic nude images if I found the right photographer who could capture me in the right way to make the image look good.

I do not live in Singapore. Like kinky fun, dares, etc.

You're welcome to request pics - just say what you would like to see  hehe

What I have seen is the opposite in SEA, in an onsen in Thailand most guys there comfortably walking around naked without covering their bird. In Bali especially rural areas also same. Some cultures in SEA despite being perceived for their utmost modesty have no inhibitions whatsoever which contrary to popular believe that Westerners and East Asians are. 

Do you mean a Japanese-style onsen in Thailand? Based on my limited experience the Thais are rather shy about showing penises.

I'm curious what other SEA cultures you are referring to? 

This pretty much sums up the entire East Asia. In fact I felt that Japanese have a slight tendency to cover their genitals with "lil towels" compared to Koreans, Chinese, Taiwanese and HongKongers who don't give a shit.

Imo, I do not think anyone is going to judge you if you do. not have a "nice body". "Nice body" is very subjective and as the saying goes, one man's poison is another man's meat.

Imo again, the issue that most gay men face is, gay men always think there is always someone gawking at their naked body. Seriously, no one gives a damn most of the time. We are our own devil advocate.

As a matter of fact I don't this this is true in a gay setting. Gays naturally would check out other bodies/cocks/butts and start judging in their heads. Naturally it is up to the individual to care not.

actually i think newer gen around 20-25yo Singaporean guys are much more open..might be due to NS nature.. ;) quite often could see they go toilet pee side by side, and 1 of the fren would just sneak his head over to his other fren side..and make joke about it..and his fren was in no hurry to cover it or avoid it..and they just share the laughter together..and it would be also quite common to see they shower openly and leisurely after certain sport activities while chit chatting and not covering any of their private parts..

I've made the same observation. It feels like the 30-year olds today are they shier ones. Whilst I easily expect 40+ dads/uncles naked at public showers, I often see guys in their late teens / young twenties in the buff, rather often.

Guest anti-uncle

nudity is intimacy and privacy,

as one gets older they tend to not care anymore, just like thread starter. in fact hardly anyone would be interested to see an old man nude lol.

young people like myself tend to treasure what we have now and will only save it for the ones who are worth it.

as one gets older they tend to not care anymore, just like thread starter. in fact hardly anyone would be interested to see an old man nude lol.

young people like myself tend to treasure what we have now and will only save it for the ones who are worth it.

Hopefully your someone who is worth it come along soon, before you become a treasure.

Love

Your Uncle....:)

Your thought about this is so girl girl .......

Personally,

2) Afraid that I might get an erection in front of someone

This is absolutely me.

Having enjoyed my time with non-gay communal nudity in JP, KR, TW, HK and finally CN, I have been trying my best to *do as the Romans do* and shower in the open, be it our public swimming pool showers or our McRitchie/Bedok Reservoir showers.

Unfortunately I develop erections too easily in such a setting. To force my erection to subside I have to close my eyes and recite mathematical equations and strategizing my next business plan at work. I remember being caught in such a situation in Shenzhen and I swore at least one dude was looking at my hard-on.

So now I only dare to shower in the open when it is less crowded - so I have a better chance of facing an empty spot should I get hard (which invariably happens).

• Guest locked this topic