Male HQ

Buddhism Discussion

Guest Fan Ren

• 2 weeks later...

This is a discussion on Buddhism. Please refrain from comments about other religions or comparisons. In Singapore, we practice religious harmony by respecting individual beliefs, so personal comparative analysis is not appropriate.

Let’s stay united and focus solely on Buddhism discussion without bringing in other religions.

南无阿弥陀佛

Buddhists engage in daily chanting practices, which can include chanting the Buddha's name (念佛), chanting sutras (念经), or chanting mantras (念咒).  

Anyone chant daily or during your free time? 

55 minutes ago, Swimfun said:

Buddhists engage in daily chanting practices, which can include chanting the Buddha's name (念佛), chanting sutras (念经), or chanting mantras (念咒).  

I think the most easy one is 念佛.  Chanting sutras take time and practice.  

For me, I usually chant the "nine Buddha qualities" (Itipiso), which i think is a mantra ?

Don't read and response to guests' post

On 6/30/2024 at 2:38 PM, Swimfun said:

This is a discussion on Buddhism. Please refrain from comments about other religions or comparisons. In Singapore, we practice religious harmony by respecting individual beliefs, so personal comparative analysis is not appropriate.

Let’s stay united and focus solely on Buddhism discussion without bringing in other religions.

南无阿弥陀佛

Agree.  There is no end to comparisons without hurting feeling and relationship.  If one is interested in Christianity, one can go and start a new thread on this religion.  

Don't read and response to guests' post

27 minutes ago, LeanMature said:

I think the most easy one is 念佛.  Chanting sutras take time and practice.  

For me, I usually chant the "nine Buddha qualities" (Itipiso), which i think is a mantra ?

For me, I usually read the Sutra of the Past Vows of Bodhisattva (地藏菩萨本愿经), the Lotus Sutra (妙法莲花经观世音菩萨普门品经), the Amitabha Sutra (佛说阿弥陀经), and the Heart Sutra (般若波罗蜜多心经).

For Buddha's name, I recite Amitabha Buddha (阿弥陀佛), Kṣitigarbha Bodhisattva (南无大愿地藏王菩萨), and Guanshiyin Bodhisattva (南无观世音菩萨).

For mantras, I recite the Cundi Mantra (准提咒).

2 hours ago, LeanMature said:

Buddha Vandana - Homage To The Buddha

Iti’pi so Bhagavā Arahaṃ Sammā sambuddho Vijjā carana-sampanno Sugato Lokavidū Anuttaro Purisa damma-sārathī Satthā Deva manussānaṃ Buddho Bhagavā’ti

Such Indeed is the Blessed One, Arahant, worthy one, supremely enlightened, endowed with knowledge and virtue, follower of the Noble Path, knower of worlds, the peerless trainer of persons, teacher of gods and humans, the Enlightened Teacher, the Blessed One.

I believed this is commonly used here in Theravada Buddhist, reciting it 108times for certain prayer occasions. 

below link might help understand further each Pali words in the chant.
https://www.sayalaysusila.net/ebooks/english/The-Nine-Attributes-of-the-Buddha_1e_2019.pdf

Long time ago was taught by an elderly to recite a section of 

MAHĀ JAYA MANGALA GĀTHĀ

Stanzas Of Great Joyous Victory 

(I think it is around section 13)

Bhavatu sabba mangalam, rakkhantu sabba devatā

May there be all the auspices, may all the deities protect me/you;

Sabba Buddhānu-bhāvena, sadā sotthi bhavantu me/te

By the power of all the Buddhas, may there be blessing to me/you.

I mentally recite this when I visit sick relatives or friends as well. 

• 2 months later...
Guest The big picture

Religions provide mental relief, moral guide. To each, his own. So be it. Learning history and developments of religions (including its sects/ denominations) can enable one to benefit from religion(s) properly and not become an "opium addict" to faiths. No need to debate over which sect/ denomination/ religion is the earliest/ original/ real/ etc. 

About 400 yrs after buddha died, more obvious differences in buddhist practices in india began to emerge, gradually giving rise to some defunct early sects, the early surviving the theravada sect, then mahayana sect then lastly vajrayana sect. Like other religions and denominations, there are loop holes, contradictions, abuses, corruption, re-interpretations, misinterpretations, propagations, fusion and assimilations. Like jesus, buddha preached orally. No pen no paper no idol no statues at that time. Scriptures were written by many others, same as bible, over many yrs. Also, buddhist cults and chinese fusion cults will distort,  make use of maitreya the coming future buddha to spice up their cult teachings. Just like some western cults, will distort, make use of doomsday, 2nd coming of christ. Misleading. Not proper. Proper buddhism, christianity, islam can provide humans mental comfort. 

26 minutes ago, Guest The big picture said:

Religions provide mental relief, moral guide. To each, his own. So be it. Learning history and developments of religions (including its sects/ denominations) can enable one to benefit from religion(s) properly and not become an "opium addict" to faiths. No need to debate over which sect/ denomination/ religion is the earliest/ original/ real/ etc. 

About 400 yrs after buddha died, more obvious differences in buddhist practices in india began to emerge, gradually giving rise to some defunct early sects, the early surviving the theravada sect, then mahayana sect then lastly vajrayana sect. Like other religions and denominations, there are loop holes, contradictions, abuses, corruption, re-interpretations, misinterpretations, propagations, fusion and assimilations. Like jesus, buddha preached orally. No pen no paper no idol no statues at that time. Scriptures were written by many others, same as bible, over many yrs. Also, buddhist cults and chinese fusion cults will distort,  make use of maitreya the coming future buddha to spice up their cult teachings. Just like some western cults, will distort, make use of doomsday, 2nd coming of christ. Misleading. Not proper. Proper buddhism, christianity, islam can provide humans mental comfort. 

I fullly agree with your assessment of religions.  It is wise to have a perspective of religions in general, to give them the proper place in our minds.  Like the shelf with narrative of possible fiction, reserved for our states of agnosticism.

I always assumed that Buddhism deals more with philosophy than the Supernatural, holding karma and reincarnation as natural, that is, part of nature.  Then I searched "Buddhism and the Supernatural",  and found that there is plenty of it, like ghosts, spirits, giants, demons, and plenty of psychic powers.  What a disappointment...   And I found this writing:

http://www.absurdbeing.com/buddhism_and_supernatural.php?id=26

On 7/2/2024 at 1:04 AM, Swimfun said:

More disappointment.  How is this "daily chanting" different from ladies in church praying for hours the Rosary to the Virgin Mary?

11 hours ago, wanton_mee said:

No need to be disappointed. Buddhism teach us not to be affected by anything.😁

This makes sense.  But after a religion teaches us not to be affected by anything, and the teaching "sinks in"...  do we need to keep practicing such religion?

Everyone is different. The things they face and encountered are different. No two persons experience the same situation at the same time. We absorb information differently even if in the same classroom learning from the same teacher at the same moment. Isn’t this world big enough to let us live with our own without antagonising others, why insist to make others believe in ours? I believe when you push a man too far, he eventually will push back. Learning to be accommodating and tolerant is a virtue which fractions you choose to believe in. When you lose that and continuously challenge others to rethink and relook, you only loss the respect others have of you. Not everything is like 377A, challengeable, beneficial  or worthy of causing discord and destroy our brain cells. To each their own. 

3 hours ago, wanton_mee said:

Buddhism is not a religion leh, Is an education. There many methods and ways to learn.  Chanting is one, don't littering is one, respect is one, keep the mouth shut is one 🤣

How you chant... with the mouth shut?  Will the Buddha accept a humming instead of a chanting?  :lol:

1 hour ago, shyc said:

Everyone is different. The things they face and encountered are different. No two persons experience the same situation at the same time. We absorb information differently even if in the same classroom learning from the same teacher at the same moment. Isn’t this world big enough to let us live with our own without antagonising others, why insist to make others believe in ours? I believe when you push a man too far, he eventually will push back. Learning to be accommodating and tolerant is a virtue which fractions you choose to believe in. When you lose that and continuously challenge others to rethink and relook, you only loss the respect others have of you. Not everything is like 377A, challengeable, beneficial  or worthy of causing discord and destroy our brain cells. To each their own. 

Neither Buddha nor Christ were satisfied with "To each their own".   Both of them challenged others to rethink, relook, and so did countless philosophers throughout history.  Many, many great books have been written to invite others to rethink, relook.  Much of TEACHING is to get others to rethink, relook.  Don't believe that the earth is flat;  rethink about it, and find out that it is round.  Same with the earth turning on its axis,  not the sun moving around the earth.

No one should feel of being "pushed too far" when another person exposes his opinions.  Even when he contradicts our opinions.  There is no compulsion in a voluntary, anonymous forum.  To think otherwise, is a recognition that one's opinions, ideas, are not as good or strong as the the other's ideas.   If so, why not accept the other's ideas, or just ignore them?

1 minute ago, wanton_mee said:

Keep the mouth in check I mean haha

Keep the posting in check, if they can be misinterpreted so easily ha ha.

But, why you want others to keep their mouth in check,  when you don't keep yours?  How much Buddhism is this? 

50 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

Neither Buddha nor Christ were satisfied with "To each their own".   Both of them challenged others to rethink, relook, and so did countless philosophers throughout history.  Many, many great books have been written to invite others to rethink, relook.  Much of TEACHING is to get others to rethink, relook.  Don't believe that the earth is flat;  rethink about it, and find out that it is round.  Same with the earth turning on its axis,  not the sun moving around the earth.

No one should feel of being "pushed too far" when another person exposes his opinions.  Even when he contradicts our opinions.  There is no compulsion in a voluntary, anonymous forum.  To think otherwise, is a recognition that one's opinions, ideas, are not as good or strong as the the other's ideas.   If so, why not accept the other's ideas, or just ignore them?

You accept or ignore ?

风没有形状,风骚才有!💋

7 hours ago, wanton_mee said:

You accept or ignore ?

A person who is smart and who has acquired much experience throughout a long life will accept as much as possible and ignore as little as possible.

On 9/12/2024 at 8:18 AM, D.0284 said:

buddhism is so happening.

I watched this video for a while ( translated to English), and I recognized what is " Organized Buddhism".  I find that this is no different from " Organized Christianity ".  To become a monk, as this person did, is not much different from becoming a priest. It is to become a "professional of religion".  I would never go this route, that I understand must lead to so many moral conflicts.  And it misses the moral purity in adopting  Buddhism or / and Christianity as intellectual philosophies.  

Life is long, but it is also short.  How can one waste much life time pursuing material fantasies that are so dissociated from the philosophy? And to take a strong stand in society for this or that religious organization, religious dogma?  In today's world it is no longer necessary to take a stand about religion, it is something private and we should preserve our privacy. This does not mean however that we should not fight for the philosophies we support.

Guest huh?
On 9/10/2024 at 11:19 PM, Steve5380 said:

But after a religion teaches us not to be affected by anything, and the teaching "sinks in"...  do we need to keep practicing such religion?

But you kept practising Akido,  Shouldn't you stop and done with it after you've learned what Akido already is?

10 hours ago, Guest huh? said:

But you kept practising Akido,  Shouldn't you stop and done with it after you've learned what Akido already is?

Clever observation.  

The learning of the mind and the learning of the body are different.  The adoption of a new religion or philosophy can be done with little effort.  The learning of a body skill takes practice, repetition, correction, fine tuning, perfectioning.  A ballet dancer never stops learning.  With Aikido, they say that the black belt is the beginning of truly learning it, and there is still a long way ahead.

Edited by Steve5380

Guest Same
7 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Clever observation.  

The adoption of a new religion of philosophy can be done with little effort.  The learning of a body skill takes practice, repetition, correction, fine tuning, perfectioning.  A ballet dancer never stops learning.  With Aikido, they say that the black belt is the beginning of truly learning it, and there is still a long way ahead.

Most likely of very LITTLE INTEREST to you rather than very little effort.   I can say the same about Akido, which require very little or no effort at all, and boring too.   Oops.

3 hours ago, Guest Same said:

Most likely of very LITTLE INTEREST to you rather than very little effort.   I can say the same about Akido, which require very little or no effort at all, and boring too.   Oops.

Same, same "Guest" twisted comment.  What do you know?  Were you born in some religion?  Are you practicing Aikido?

I have the personal experience.  I learned Catholicism as a child, and it was less effort than learning arithmetic. It is all intellectual, in the brain, one does not need to move one finger.  Aikido, on the other hand,  takes a lot of practice and time. You have to learn to fall, to roll, to attack, to defend, to use the sword, etc.  You have to be healthy and stay injury-free to do it.

Who knows!  what is not boring to you.  Maybe with so much boring...YOU are boring?

Guest Ecclesiastes 9:18
14 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

Aikido, on the other hand,  takes a lot of practice and time. You have to learn to fall, to roll, to attack, to defend, to use the sword, etc.  You have to be healthy and stay injury-free to do it.

I am not so sure about your skills.  I do know Singapore pot belly uncle, with a bottle in hand can take you down instantly and send you falling and rolling.

Now back to the topic of Buddhism, shall we?

It is offensive to Buddhists to say that practicing Buddhism doesn't need any work or effort at all.  They need to use both physical and mental energy when turning pages to conduct research and take action to support charitable causes.  I forgive you for not knowing enough about Buddhism and for not doing enough research on it.   So, this topic is just not for you as you continue playing with sharp object.

Guest Gold Living
46 minutes ago, Steve5380 said:

I would love to do more research on Buddhism,  but I am quite busy doing research on healthy nutrition.

Buddhism can be incorporated into a healthy regimen that includes eating more vegetables, regular meditation, and letting go of anger.  Lastly, but no less importantly, avoid politics and devote yourself to learning about Buddhism (or other religion of your leaning)  by leading a more contented, uncomplicated, and healthy life and by taking greater pleasure in nature around you.   You sense a stable heartbeat, the absence of worry or depression, and an overall sense of safety, to live in complete joy of being human - no materialistic crave, no fighting, no burden to carry around and that is truly Gold.

Guest Buddhism

Please keep this thread focused on discussions about Buddhism and avoid politicizing or comparing other religions. Singapore is a multiethnic, multicultural country that values religious harmony. We respect all races, religions, and ethnicities, so it is important to be mindful and refrain from discussing sensitive topics. Let’s ensure the conversation remains respectful and centered on Buddhism, which is the topic of this discussion.

On 9/16/2024 at 10:36 AM, Steve5380 said:

Clever observation.  

The learning of the mind and the learning of the body are different.  The adoption of a new religion or philosophy can be done with little effort.  The learning of a body skill takes practice, repetition, correction, fine tuning, perfectioning.  A ballet dancer never stops learning.  With Aikido, they say that the black belt is the beginning of truly learning it, and there is still a long way ahead.

On the contrary, the adoption of a religion or philosophy into one's life take enormous effort.

Try practicing mindfulness and the noble eightfold paths every single second, minute, hour and day for the rest of your life.

Besides the correct Study of the Dharma and constant Contemplation, in your own words, "takes practice, repetition, correction, fine tuning, perfectioning".

I beseech anyone who is interested in Buddhism to concentrate on trying to focus on the core fundamentals of the Buddha's teachings; that is where all the benefits are.

It is precisely the correct understanding of the Dharma that we can practice the 1st eightfold path "Right View" and as part can quickly and accurately identify the fringe/twisted/deviant/etc......, and keep away from those.

Edited by Salt&Pepper

The core values of Buddhism are *emptiness* (“空”) and *non-attachment* (“无”). To truly embody these principles, one must learn to *give* (“施”) and *let go* (“舍”). Simply reading or practicing is not enough. Each day, take time to sit in stillness, reflect deeply, seek understanding, and attain right awareness (思考, 理悟, 正觉).

Guest Awakened
3 hours ago, FattChoy said:

Work towards enlightenment.

You don't need religion to work on it.  You can be enlightened thru education, thru work experiences,  through difficult life journey.  thru social media, even by observing the wonder of nature. 

4 hours ago, Guest Awakened said:

You don't need religion to work on it.  You can be enlightened thru education, thru work experiences,  through difficult life journey.  thru social media, even by observing the wonder of nature. 

Have you attained enlightenment? Your definition of enlightenment?

菩提本无树,明镜亦非台,本来无一物,何处惹尘埃。

8 hours ago, FattChoy said:

Principles of Buddhism are few and simple. 

No one escapes, birth, old age, illness and death

Work towards enlightenment.

The rest of the superficial ceremonies are just smoke and mirrors to hook in new devotees 

若菩萨有我相、人相、众生相、寿者相,即非菩萨。

若以色见我、以音声求我,是人行邪道,不能见如来。

凡一切相,皆是虚妄。若见诸相非相,即见如来。

一切有为法,如梦幻泡影,如露亦如电,应作如观。

religions are just philosophy, it is the politician who conveniently use them to their advantage, it is especially so during ancient times when people does not have access to information to analyse the information provided in religious contents.

but of course some individuals rather have a faith to provide a guidance rather than creating one of their own. but it still could not justify the facts that most religious teaching is irrelevant to the modern context.

3 hours ago, D.0284 said:

religions are just philosophy, it is the politician who conveniently use them to their advantage, it is especially so during ancient times when people does not have access to information to analyse the information provided in religious contents.

but of course some individuals rather have a faith to provide a guidance rather than creating one of their own. but it still could not justify the facts that most religious teaching is irrelevant to the modern context.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. However, this is a group dedicated to discussions about Buddhism. We kindly ask that you continue discussions about non-religious topics in a more appropriate space. It’s important to be respectful and sensitive to others' beliefs, just as we respect your choice to hold non-religious views. Everyone has the freedom to choose their path, just like with LGBT matters—I'm sure you wouldn’t appreciate someone imposing their beliefs on your personal life either. Let’s all respect each other’s perspectives.

7 hours ago, Swimfun said:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. However, this is a group dedicated to discussions about Buddhism. We kindly ask that you continue discussions about non-religious topics in a more appropriate space. It’s important to be respectful and sensitive to others' beliefs, just as we respect your choice to hold non-religious views. Everyone has the freedom to choose their path, just like with LGBT matters—I'm sure you wouldn’t appreciate someone imposing their beliefs on your personal life either. Let’s all respect each other’s perspectives.

coming from a buddhist and taoist family, i would say that our version of both religions today are very distorted from the original teachings of these religions. i was once told by a buddhist on a sutra description of heaven being filled with gem stones and luxury. so i asked, luxury is only for human. there isn't the need of luxury in heaven.

after encounter with many fellow buddhist, i conclude that the real buddhism is not about how one follows the teachings religiously, but instead how one cultivate good character and personality. I have had conversation with high thai monk on this. we have good conversation. there is another aspect with regard to spirit and the concept behind. thats another story for another time.

when buddha was at his deathbed, he did mention that everything goes to nothingness. so what is nothingness? is that because whatever he taught was nothing more than how things are suppose to work. or that everything originated from nothingness.

then we examine another great religion of india, which has the concept of going back to emptiness. because if everything eventually goes back to emptiness then isn't it the same balance we are looking for in taoism?

look, there are places of worship all over the world which require a dress code as respect. but when we appear in the face of buddha or god, does he mind? would heaven reject a begger or the less privilleged. there are even temple which require a entrance ticket.

I see temple as a place of culture and art, but not as a religious place. every space is a holy place. every good thought is a good sutra. perhaps one day when i die, i could reach nirvana like the great one too.

On 9/20/2024 at 12:03 AM, Swimfun said:

The core values of Buddhism are *emptiness* (“空”) and *non-attachment* (“无”). To truly embody these principles, one must learn to *give* (“施”) and *let go* (“舍”). Simply reading or practicing is not enough. Each day, take time to sit in stillness, reflect deeply, seek understanding, and attain right awareness (思考, 理悟, 正觉).

so are buddha and all the so call holy being together with their sutra just emptiness? if we have gotten the awareness, should we be forsaking buddha too as he himself is part of the emptiness he taught?

i believe when buddha obtain enlightenment from his practice of hinduism he would have asked himself such question.

does it means that when i understand emptiness, i am closer to buddha?

Edited by D.0284

meditation and chanting is to help one obtain peace and focus easily. but it is not the only way to do that. i believe that one can obtain those while doing daily chores too. everything and every event are created and planned by the greater force. so appreciation and understanding these things brings us closer to the great one.

Guest Awakened?
12 hours ago, Swimfun said:

菩提本无树,明镜亦非台,本来无一物,何处惹尘埃。

Verily. Even when I began to grasp Buddhism in my mid-20s—a time when life was really challenging—my enlightenment did not come from a religious standpoint.  Enlightenment does not apply to human, otherwise there will be billion of Gods walking on earth and changed the entire dynamic of lifesytle.   Simply, Religion didn't make me feel better into my late 30s, and I entered a low period right away by embracing the false belief that  "enlightenment" exists.

Then, I decided to change my religion because I didn't come out of my old belief, for the longest time, and peculiar things started to happen during my transition (a story for another day) and placed me in a new trial I could not understand but always in great anxiety.  Let's just say that "enlightenment" was not the goal of my new religion,  but full of surprises, nudging me to wake up at the right time when I stepped onto the edge of a cliff. 

Nonetheless, right thru my 40s, I witnessed the full manifestation of human cruelty and society's ilks that prevented me succeeding in life.  The injuries I sustained were severe,  and left a lasting impression on my life.   Through that event  I discovered. not enlightened, that I should always journey the path cautiously and deliberately and never put my reliance and trust in anybody or anything, including "religious" individuals.  I can assure you that what I witnessed throughout my brief stint working in religious institutions was not short of toxic politics either. 

Before people start feeling offensive, one cannot deny that the greatest leader in the world is non religious. Otherwise, one ought to exercise extreme caution around them (Don't let me quote the obvious countries), because they are the worse form of enlightenment if one still beiieve it exists at all. 

However, it is essential to keep your religious beliefs very private and personal out of respect if you continue to hold them rather than gloating and boasting no end about it. .

22 hours ago, FattChoy said:

The rest of the superficial ceremonies are just smoke and mirrors to hook in new devotees 

At last you write something I like!   If I had written this, the Moderator may have deleted my post.

18 hours ago, Guest Awakened said:

I agree with you. It would be TREMENDOUSLY UNJUST if the benefits of religious practices would come ONLY to those practicing them.  There is surely a majority of Humanity that has had no chances to know about Buddism.  Why should they miss out on opportunities to get enlightened, to make positive karma?   When Buddha himself grew up, there was NO Buddhism. He came to his philosophy by himself.  Why cannot others do the same?

13 hours ago, Swimfun said:

Have you attained enlightenment,  with all your many practices of Buddhism?  And how you know when you attain enlightenment?  Will you get a certificate from the organized religion?

2 hours ago, D.0284 said:

meditation and chanting is to help one obtain peace and focus easily. but it is not the only way to do that. i believe that one can obtain those while doing daily chores too. everything and every event are created and planned by the greater force. so appreciation and understanding these things brings us closer to the great one.

Agree.  I attain peace and focus easily while I am washing my dishes.  I like the act of washing my dishes.  

Edited by Steve5380

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.