Male HQ

Buddhism Discussion

Guest Fan Ren

1 hour ago, Guest Awakened? said:

Verily. Even when I began to grasp Buddhism in my mid-20s—a time when life was really challenging—my enlightenment did not come from a religious standpoint.  Enlightenment does not apply to human, otherwise there will be billion of Gods walking on earth and changed the entire dynamic of lifesytle.   Simply, Religion didn't make me feel better into my late 30s, and I entered a low period right away by embracing the false belief that  "enlightenment" exists.

The Buddhist enlightenment is one kind of it.  There are various types of enlightenment, and they can be different within their types.  I have had different enlightenments at certain times in my life. 

Take it from an octogenarian.  An enlightenment can be superseded by a different one, the product of more esperience and rationality.  With time we can change our mind about things.  In my case, the older I get the more I recognize my ignorance, and so my "ultimate enlightenment" is the realization that I am extremely ignorant, and progressively more so.  And... I don't mind it!  Doesn't PRIDE come with knowledge?   And... what can one do with PRIDE when life is over?

Guest hehehe
1 hour ago, Steve5380 said:

At last you write something I like!   If I had written this, the Moderator may have deleted my post.

U are finally enlightened? No Buddhism teaching needed.

2 hours ago, D.0284 said:

coming from a buddhist and taoist family, i would say that our version of both religions today are very distorted from the original teachings of these religions. i was once told by a buddhist on a sutra description of heaven being filled with gem stones and luxury. so i asked, luxury is only for human. there isn't the need of luxury in heaven.

after encounter with many fellow buddhist, i conclude that the real buddhism is not about how one follows the teachings religiously, but instead how one cultivate good character and personality. I have had conversation with high thai monk on this. we have good conversation. there is another aspect with regard to spirit and the concept behind. thats another story for another time.

when buddha was at his deathbed, he did mention that everything goes to nothingness. so what is nothingness? is that because whatever he taught was nothing more than how things are suppose to work. or that everything originated from nothingness.

then we examine another great religion of india, which has the concept of going back to emptiness. because if everything eventually goes back to emptiness then isn't it the same balance we are looking for in taoism?

look, there are places of worship all over the world which require a dress code as respect. but when we appear in the face of buddha or god, does he mind? would heaven reject a begger or the less privilleged. there are even temple which require a entrance ticket.

I see temple as a place of culture and art, but not as a religious place. every space is a holy place. every good thought is a good sutra. perhaps one day when i die, i could reach nirvana like the great one too.

First, it is important to differentiate Buddhism from other religions. Second, it’s crucial to distinguish between religion, culture, and traditional practices. Third, simply hearing others' opinions may not lead you down the right path, as their views may be influenced by cultural beliefs, personal opinions, or even unverified sources, and sometimes, by practices rooted in personal or ethical traditions.

It is advisable to study Buddhism or, at the very least, read the sutras to directly understand and interpret the teachings of the Buddha.

无上甚深微妙法,百千万劫难遭遇,我今见闻得受持,愿解如来真实义。

1 hour ago, Steve5380 said:

I agree with you. It would be TREMENDOUSLY UNJUST if the benefits of religious practices would come ONLY to those practicing them.  There is surely a majority of Humanity that has had no chances to know about Buddism.  Why should they miss out on opportunities to get enlightened, to make positive karma?   When Buddha himself grew up, there was NO Buddhism. He came to his philosophy by himself.  Why cannot others do the same?

佛有三不度,即无缘者不度,无信者不度,无愿者不度。今世不度来世度。

I seriously don’t understand some people. If they don’t believe in Buddhism, why join a discussion about it just to talk about other religions? They can always start their own conversation to discuss their own beliefs and theories.

Please be respectful of other religions, and remember, this is Singapore. Be mindful of your comments here. Don’t put yourself in unnecessary trouble, as your actions can be tracked and held accountable.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.