Male HQ

Why must Tourist come to singapore?

Guest Guest

Why must tourist come to singapore? Singapore so small and boring..like their own country don't have ?

I still wonder why because:

Unreliable transport system...mrt always breakdown to a point it is unreliable...bus always news got accident.

Service sucks...singaporeans are not into service. Service very bad and stuck up

Hotels are so expensive! 5 star hotels in bangkok and kl cost half the price!

Food is expensive and terrible...no service to call for and somemore forced to pay 10% service charge!

No nature..go bukit timah hill? Other country got moutain and lakes. We have fake gardens by the bay.

Attractions so expensive

Nightlife in singapore so boring and unexciting like overseas..

Singapore everything so expensive and bad attitude..

So why tourist come to singapore for what i dont understand!

What do you think.

Just a few reasons why they should come:

Singapore is small, ok, but clean, with very good hotels and excellent restaurants of all sorts.

I find the service is not bad, and often good.

Prices are ... acceptable.

The gay life is interesting and free enough.

And above all, Singaporeans are often very nice people, at least the few ones I know.

Just a few reasons why they should come:

Singapore is small, ok, but clean, with very good hotels and excellent restaurants of all sorts.

I find the service is not bad, and often good.

Prices are ... acceptable.

The gay life is interesting and free enough.

And above all, Singaporeans are often very nice people, at least the few ones I know.

You must be monied. Dont you know singpapore is the most expensive country in the world? Since when singapore has very good hotels???????? You do not knownthe sentiments from the ground..i advise you to read from social media or alternative media instead of anything from SPH!

I invite my foreign friends to Singapore regularly.

Of course most of them are from the Western World but I did have Japanese and Taiwanese in my flat.  I do understand that the hotel charges here are not the cheapest but if they can afford, why not?  Otherwise they are most welcome to stay with me as I have two extra bedrooms.

Taking away the expenses on accommodation, the expenditure on food, transport and sight-seeing is quite comparable to that of neighbouring countries.  For sure for many of them, the local transport system is easy to master.  They could venture themselves around without much assistance.  Not all my friends are GAY so that is not an issue with straight men/women. Regardless of their sexual preferences, they will find the night life to enjoy themselves. 

With regards to paying 10% service charge..well the solution is simple.   Just eat at hawker centres and other food courts.  As a matter of fact, my guests are more than willing to sample local fares over restaurant food.  They travel here for a slice of the local lifestyle.

By and large, safety and security are factored in whenever travel plans are made.  One can travel dirt cheap in neighbouring countries but at what cost?  Singapore is filled with little gems that may not be offered elsewhere... a stroll through Gardens by the Bay (without entering the domes) and a walk through the Little India/Arab Street enclave, a swim at Sentosa before lunching at the basement food court at Vivocity are just some fun things to do.

Ask ourselves this question: Why are we on vacation overseas?  Is it because of the food, culture, sight and people there?  Stop whining and get cranking with more innovative ideas to spice up your guests' visits!

Interesting debate on those transport and nightlife issues..

The probability of MRT breakdowns and bus accidents are low, if you know Poisson distribution.

Night life in Thailand may be more sexciting but it is ALL commercial sex with many boys offering their bodies in exchange for monetary rewards whereas most Singaporeans with some dignity would not ask for a single cent!

I do not want to comment on Guest post but with that standard of English, tourists are definitely going to turn away .... catch no balls ...

I just came back from Singapore last month, apart from the everyday muggy weather, the rest of the experience was great!

I accept that it costs >$100 per night for a 3 star and above accommodation, but that costs is in comparable with the convenience, security and a range of facility received. (It is a bit cheaper than Sydney actually lol).

Food is cheap. Transport is affordable i.e. from Public transport to taxi. 

I havent met up with any of the boys, but im sure it will add into the reason of why i should come back for more ;)

The probability of MRT breakdowns and bus accidents are low, if you know Poisson distribution.

Night life in Thailand may be more sexciting but it is ALL commercial sex with many boys offering their bodies in exchange for monetary rewards whereas most Singaporeans with some dignity would not ask for a single cent!

I do not want to comment on Guest post but with that standard of English, tourists are definitely going to turn away .... catch no balls ...

What are you saaaaaayyyyying.....? While others are cheap, we are free?  Think before you post, will ya? facepalm.gif

The same reason people travel. To broaden their experience- from food to culture to attractions etc. you want to see the world not just from your the one you grew up in. 

Simply, this. However, Singapore is a rich man's option of "travelling around Asia" (Much like Korea and Japan). That's why you'd probably see more Westerners or rich tourists there.

Why must tourist come to singapore? Singapore so small and boring..like their own country don't have ?

I still wonder why because:

Unreliable transport system...mrt always breakdown to a point it is unreliable...bus always news got accident.

Service sucks...singaporeans are not into service. Service very bad and stuck up

Hotels are so expensive! 5 star hotels in bangkok and kl cost half the price!

Food is expensive and terrible...no service to call for and somemore forced to pay 10% service charge!

No nature..go bukit timah hill? Other country got moutain and lakes. We have fake gardens by the bay.

Attractions so expensive

Nightlife in singapore so boring and unexciting like overseas..

Singapore everything so expensive and bad attitude..

So why tourist come to singapore for what i dont understand!

What do you think.

if it sucks to be here, why are you still here? 

I agree on many items Guest mentioned, but as a cost conscious visitor I have got good value in my visits to Singapore. 

The cost of the flight between US and SG, a significant portion of the cost of visiting, is about the same as flying to Bangkok.

Cost of hotel is high, but staying in a 3 star hotel for a week is not a hardship and is not prohibitive.

One can also eat inexpensively for a week without problems.

The big value comes with the nice boys in SG,  Approachable in saunas and enjoyable companions elsewhere.

I assume that the person who started this post has to be singaporean. I have met many many Singaporeans that have the same mentality n mindset that Singapore is lacking in this n that, transportation breaks down, things are expensive etc etc. I am again assuming that you have never been anywhere else in the world and really have no appreciation of how lucky we are. India known for its cultural beauty have trains that stop running as the stations are flooded due to rains. South Africa known for its rugged beauty has the highest crime rates in the world. We may not be perfect but I think we have done immensely well in using whatever resources in making Singapore one of the most visited countries in the world. Despite it being expensive, small, lacking of natural beauty and seemingly devoid of emotion n warmth. 

Guest Bloated

I assume that the person who started this post has to be singaporean. I have met many many Singaporeans that have the same mentality n mindset that Singapore is lacking in this n that, transportation breaks down, things are expensive etc etc. I am again assuming that you have never been anywhere else in the world and really have no appreciation of how lucky we are. India known for its cultural beauty have trains that stop running as the stations are flooded due to rains. South Africa known for its rugged beauty has the highest crime rates in the world. We may not be perfect but I think we have done immensely well in using whatever resources in making Singapore one of the most visited countries in the world. Despite it being expensive, small, lacking of natural beauty and seemingly devoid of emotion n warmth. 

Please compare apple to apple.  We should compare our productivity with Japan, the courtesy with Taiwan, the democracy with HK, the cheap land to Malaysia, the unity to Indonesia.  We seems to lack all of these.

Nothing in the world can be quantify objectively.

I vote for the opposition since 1984, way before TS was born!

To me it must be a BIG joke that Hong Kong is democratic. Have you seen what the BIG brother above is screwing them left and right?  

Yes land may be cheaper in Malaysia but have you heard that the Iskander Region in Johore has being labelled as Chinatown?

Tolong lah, show me what unity in Indonesia is when Ah Hok is being persecuted?

High productivity in Japan..have you understand the deflation rate there?

Enough said of the minuscule mindset that many Singaporeans have... please go overseas to see their lifestyle..not just a short weekend trip but a longer week there.  See how they live, how their transport system is (the infamous Bangkok traffic jam comes to mind).. Then one will know how pamper Singaporeans are.. 

In simple Singlish, Talk big big but no substance.  Want this want that..everything cry father cry mother...

You must be monied. Dont you know singpapore is the most expensive country in the world? Since when singapore has very good hotels???????? You do not knownthe sentiments from the ground..i advise you to read from social media or alternative media instead of anything from SPH!

Might I suggest that after reading all these alternate sites and listening to kopi-tiam chatter, you take a look at the tens of thousands of personal blogs by tourists who have visited SG. That will give you the answer to the original post.

Don't just dwell on those that slam SG, which BTW you might be challenged to find too many of. Don't also start accusing all the positive ones as PAP paid IBs, because that's just moronic. Most of all, don't accuse these tourists of not knowing life on the ground, because the original post is not about residents, but TOURISTS.

To me it must be a BIG joke that Hong Kong is democratic. Have you seen what the BIG brother above is screwing them left and right?  

Eh?  Why do you always boast about going to Malaysia to buy groceries?  I am sure you have reaped some benefit from our neighbour instead of supporting Sink-a-pore?  Is this also some kind of joke?

I have a PINK IC and I am proud of it.

Going to JB to shop is simply because certain products like sambal chilli from Malaysian brands are not available here.

Anyway your remarks as a Guest should be ignored but I need to clarify my standing and your remarks are way off-topic.

你吃药了吗?  要对题,不要人身攻击。。

Guest Guest Whacker

This is to the thread-starter, and the Guest who still insists on SG being hellhole for tourists (and about every other thing else).

What do you hope to accomplish with?

SG does have a lot of festering issues. But you seriously think this Alex Tan, HHH, TRS method of wild exaggerations and out of the world lamentation would bring about any change?

If anything, you only put off the people inclined to support change. Because it becomes so EMBARRASSING to be associated with you i.e. loonies.

apart from vacation, some came to seek medical treatment, our medical part is quite high standard though expensive, other came for education, our education part produce results though stressful, then equally important is the mice sector, we have some good meeting venue with up to date technology and safety is the main factor, others came to grab latest 3C products, aren't we the first in the region to sell the latest i-phone? gamblers came to mbs and rws,  party animal came for zouk-out and international concerts and performance, years back gay came for snowball party followed by wild sex in the hotel, who else come here? those in transit or backpacking in the region, ya so there is many reasons why people came here despite nothing much to see and everything so expensive.

A proud Sarawakian-Malaysian here. I think TS should be grateful for being a Singaporean citizen. Every city has their own taste and culture, Singapore too!!I enjoy the concrete jungle view at night. Very beautiful indeed!!Ah, i love the guys too!!!

Singapore hotel service is so bad! Everytime i stay in a local hotel...the receptionist always eye me up and down up and down...why look down on locals? Hello...you advertise staycation yet the hotel staff think we are out for freebies...once a 5 star hotel reception refuse to check me in at 12noon saying check in time is 2pm..i told him stay is for 24 hors right? If check in at 2pm, than refund me the 2 hrs! The look she gave like killer look.. like see people no up ..i end up flashing my Tag Heur to make her jealous. After complaining  the manager check us in. After than i call reception to ask for 3 more pillows and ice bucket she say dont have 3 extra can only give 1 pillow! Wtf! 

Next morning i have a headache and request them to send breakfast to room, they refuse and want to charge me like $50!!! I told them breakfast is in the rate and your guest is not feeling well cannot go the extra mile is it? It is not like I demand a full butler service!

I never had such encounters in bangkok, kL, bintan etc..only in singapore! 

Really lousy service and all money faced!

Refuse to go the extra mile and money-faced: this i absolutely agree. People here are mercenery and are TOTALLY motivated by money greed. Just take a look at all the in-your-face tourist traps and blatant false advertisings at big attractions like gardens by the bay and resort world sentosa.

Guest AMDK-nized

It's not a must but because Singapore is a transit hub for many airlines on route to other destinations, so the tourism board promoted a stopover deals aimed at rich tourists to spend their money in Singapore to boost GDP from tourism sector. Singapore and other former British colony countries are generally sucks in terms of service, it's the AMDK-nized legacy that sees the job as servitude, so most chose to work in service industry just do it for money.

Isn't it funny and obvious at the same time that the anti-Singapore tourism all came from guests.

If Singapore is NOT worthy of your dollars, NO don't go away to other neighbouring countries.

Just write to the Tourism Board, Hotel management or even better, the press.

Stop spamming the board with your negativity.. the world needs to improve without whiners that flaunt their material wealth to make a statement... to that guy with that expensive watch..is yours a fake cos mine has a different spelling.. it should be TAG HEUER.. oops so malu, flaunt fake watches to receptionist...ha ha ha 

Some of the cabs fare eleswhere are roughly or abt the same in Singapore.

Some bus fares also lagi expensive if you compare to Singapore.

I think we have some attractive parts to foreigners that they wanna cone visit to Singapore, just as Japan is much expensive then us and yet there are plenty of ppl visiting then every year.

I dont know abt u, but i always have that very good feeling to be back after touch down, the streets, traffics, pedestrian, shops, neighbourhood were just so neat and clean.

Last year december i just had a very bad experiences to find a skytrain in taoyuan airport. Have to climb stairs, take lifts, turn around corridors before i hop on one and have to repeat that bloody process again at the other terminal.

1 hour ago, abang said:

Isn't it funny and obvious at the same time that the anti-Singapore tourism all came from guests.

If Singapore is NOT worthy of your dollars, NO don't go away to other neighbouring countries.

Just write to the Tourism Board, Hotel management or even better, the press.

Stop spamming the board with your negativity.. the world needs to improve without whiners that flaunt their material wealth to make a statement... to that guy with that expensive watch..is yours a fake cos mine has a different spelling.. it should be TAG HEUER.. oops so malu, flaunt fake watches to receptionist...ha ha ha 

You worried no more foreign dicks to pull at to crash in your house...? Ha ha ha. 省点力气来用你的个人魅力把他们给电昏吧女士。。。maybe you can pay them to visit singapore, since they only want to visit FREE parts of gardens by the bay and dine at food courts only.... aiyoh they are missing out SO MUCH!

Can I just ask for the sake of clarity... how many hotel do you have to have stayed in or experience to qualify that " Singapore hotel service is so bad! " ??

5 hotels? 20 hotels? 100 hotels? There are approximated 422 hotels in Singapore. The ratio of bad hotel staff versus good ones? Again base on how many experiences out of the tens of thousands in all those 422 hotels.

I have to admit I have encounter bad ones once in a blue moon or even a clueless one and many I suspect were newly employed or there are those who really hate their job for sure. But to say there is enough staff to warrant a complete wide sweep that everyone is bad is a bit unfair.

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

I have friends who come here and stay in 5* hotels and rave about how wonderful the service is and sometimes they enjoy so much the club lounge and the pool,they don't want to leave to see the city unless it is to go to a good restaurant. They love Singapore. So its a good place for the rich tourists.

Then I have friends that are backpackers and stay in hostels and have fun times walking around the city, eating in the hawker centers, doing free or inexpensive things like exploring little India, the Singapore river, Pulau Ubin, watching the Supertree light show at GBTB, walking the Henderson waves, and things like that. They think it is the best place too.

Its all a matter of perspective. What you are familiar with you might find boring. For others it is all new and exotic.

Every city in the world has its overpriced and tacky tourist attractions.

As for the reliability of the MRT, it is still quite good as compared to other systems elsewhere in the world. Breakdowns and disruptions on the London, New York, Toronto, Paris etc underground/subway/MRT happen on an almost daily basis.

Guest 九分女
31 minutes ago, abang said:

Still not responding to nameless people aka guests.

Save your time and think positively lah..

Oops forgot your negativity has overtaken your brain.

Aiyoh AUNTIEEEEEE... Isn't this a response...!!!!

None of my friends or company guests over 20 years have ever encountered any rude service in SG hotels. Indifferent service, yes. Rude? Not by a long shot. For that matter, neither was any of these staff rude to me when I go to pick them up or arrange for things.

The same for SQ. Till now you see all these comments on local forums about how atas SQ girls are etc. I've never encountered any. Never met any foreigner, Asian and Westerners who complained of that. Hardly see that written in any foreign forum too.

And so it makes me wonder whether the actual unhappiness began because some Singaporeans insist on behaving atas to service personnel. Just because they expect special service for being Singaporean. Fail to get emperor treatment. Throw fuss. Write to trashy alternate sites. Slam govt, father, mother. And then when no locals want to do service job anymore, have to import foreign workers, kao bei further. Abysmal destructive circle. Day in day out stir shit then kao bei about the shit till die of high blood. But of course, these morons will never see it. Might as well just let them die off that way.

12 hours ago, Traveler said:

I have friends who come here and stay in 5* hotels and rave about how wonderful the service is and sometimes they enjoy so much the club lounge and the pool,they don't want to leave to see the city unless it is to go to a good restaurant. They love Singapore. So its a good place for the rich tourists.

Rich tourists like your friend help the rich in Singapore and indirectly the economy of the island.

Other tourists like me are not so interested in doing that.

I have come to SG for one reason only: the nice SG Asian gays that attract me so much.

In spite of the large distance, flights from the US to SG are moderately priced.

I stay in inexpensive three star hotels.  I don't eat in fancy restaurants. I visit the tourist spots that are free.

I don't go to gay bars or discos, but I have my fun in gay saunas.

I have visited all the good ones throughout the years, and gained more satisfaction than any rich guest in 5 star hotels.

Then I travel to Malaysia KL and treat myself to good hotel and good food at a fraction of the cost in SG,

and enjoy more Asian gay boys in this more interesting and friendly city.

Then I return to SG, attend a few more events in the SG saunas, and fly back home.

My visits to Singapore are good VALUE.

19 hours ago, Traveler said:

Then I have friends that are backpackers and stay in hostels and have fun times walking around the city, eating in the hawker centers, doing free or inexpensive things like exploring little India, the Singapore river, Pulau Ubin, watching the Supertree light show at GBTB, walking the Henderson waves, and things like that. They think it is the best place too.

Its all a matter of perspective. What you are familiar with you might find boring. For others it is all new and exotic.

Every city in the world has its overpriced and tacky tourist attractions.

As for the reliability of the MRT, it is still quite good as compared to other systems elsewhere in the world. Breakdowns and disruptions on the London, New York, Toronto, Paris etc underground/subway/MRT happen on an almost daily basis.

Sure or not? I read from the net or facebook that singapore residents always complaint about how bad your public transport system is.

If you are AMDK or Latino, of course locals are extra friendly to you because you've got what they wanted - your dua kee-ness and hoping to get a green card, some Sinkies are just desperate to get out of this country you know in search of greener grass.

again, for those negative peeps here who are locals, if it's tough staying here, the door is open for u to leave. why stay back? u have got a choice. 

oh wait... maybe u suck big time that no other places willing to take u in and have no choice to stay back. and so, suck thumb. only can hide behind keyboard and spread negativity. now it all makes sense. 

I travel to many countries including Europe. Singapore have its own merits.

- Hotel is expensive, but food and transport are cheap. You will usualy stay in 1-2 star hotel or hostels here (Europe metro/train is more expensive,  as compared to distance and not even mentioning high rail). Hawker food is relatively cheap. You go HK, switerland, London and see the food.
- Attractions are more varied (compared to phuket - mostly water activities, bangkok or even KL). Garden by the bay, sentosa, Upcoming Changi Jewel, etc will be able to hold the fight.

- Shops closed only at 10am, unlike 5pm at most europe cites. And Singapore is very safe

I think the TS need to understand the definition of TOURIST.

It's not foreign worker or expat or refugee or what have you. It's a tourist. He/she comes here to experience our blend of life base on what they read or just simply to get away from where they came from which is MOST LIKELY very different in many respects. Also good or bad where they are. He/she does not come here for the same frustrations you and I see every day 365 days a year.

A TOURIST is only here for a few days or a little more. Enough to taste the best and worst you got and be done with it. Unless there is something that caught their interest so thoroughly tht keep them coming back for more. for example, I love Japan's interesting culture that i am willing to go there as often as my pocket can allow for it.

So while we take the moment to gripe about life's frustration for us homeboys stuck here, we are not doing justice to seeing Singapore thru the eyes of a TOURIST who just came for a short and possibly single visit.

Thus when I read frustration about life here.... yes i understand some of the shit we face are real but we should not think that SHOULD be what a tourist should see. But the comments here do tell a lot about one's own life here heheheh... maybe one should be a tourist more often to get out of SG life here :P

Edited by upshot
errors

** Comments are my opinions, same as yours. It's not a 'Be-All-and-End-All' view. Intent's to thought-provoke, validate, reiterate and yes, even correct. Opinion to consider but agree to disagree. I don't enjoy conflicted exchanges, empty bravado or egoistical chest pounding. It's never personal, tribalistic or with malice. Frank by nature, means, I never bend the truth. Views are to broaden understanding - Updated: Nov 2021.

Can tourists get picture of a country within short time as based on tourism statistic, an average tourist spent time in Singapore about 2-7 days max. Some people said, you really have little idea if you don't live in that country.

6 minutes ago, Guest Wonder said:

Can tourists get picture of a country within short time as based on tourism statistic, an average tourist spent time in Singapore about 2-7 days max. Some people said, you really have little idea if you don't live in that country.

There are here to enjoy a change of scene from their own ... not trying to pass a Geography Exam on Singapore.

On 15/12/2016 at 2:40 PM, upshot said:

I think the TS need to understand the definition of TOURIST.

It's not foreign worker or expat or refugee or what have you. It's a tourist. He/she comes here to experience our blend of life base on what they read or just simply to get away from where they came from which is MOST LIKELY very different in many respects. Also good or bad where they are. He/she does not come here for the same frustrations you and I see every day 365 days a year.

A TOURIST is only here for a few days or a little more. Enough to taste the best and worst you got and be done with it. Unless there is something that caught their interest so thoroughly tht keep them coming back for more. for example, I love Japan's interesting culture that i am willing to go there as often as my pocket can allow for it.

So while we take the moment to gripe about life's frustration for us homeboys stuck here, we are not doing justice to seeing Singapore thru the eyes of a TOURIST who just came for a short and possibly single visit.

Thus when I read frustration about life here.... yes i understand some of the shit we face are real but we should not think that SHOULD be what a tourist should see. But the comments here do tell a lot about one's own life here heheheh... maybe one should be a tourist more often to get out of SG life here :P

Tourist like to experience what is it like to be a singaporean. Many tourist i know their impression of singapore changes once they reach changi. Their perception is totally different fron real life. Many tourist understand and complaint about our over crowded and unreliable transport system, the over crowded streets..the terrible service they receive from traders and expensive hotels which does not deliver value.

6 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Tourist like to experience what is it like to be a singaporean. Many tourist i know their impression of singapore changes once they reach changi. Their perception is totally different fron real life. Many tourist understand and complaint about our over crowded and unreliable transport system, the over crowded streets..the terrible service they receive from traders and expensive hotels which does not deliver value.

So you are the one writing a Geography Exam on Singapore for tourist???????? Limited personal observation is NOT statistical fact unless you can back that up with documented data. Links? Well that's just my personal opinion on your comment's validity anyway. heheheh

Edited by upshot

On 12/16/2016 at 0:57 PM, Guest Guest said:

I came many times as a tourist, and lately when I arrived at Changi without rush I would take the MTR first to Pasir Ris to get a seat in the crowded metro on the way to City Hall. I haven't experienced a breakdown, but crowded it is!  There is a lack of inexpensive good hotels. Service people are very dry and business like. For me personally, the main attraction to the place are the gay boys.  So please don't leave your island but keep making it more friendly for gay tourists :) 

"Service people are very dry and business like."

They need some lubricants or surfactants to speed up their brains and mouths. It's winter time, need to pour hot water down their heads to bring some warmth to their faces. Lighting up their faces may require gasoline and a lighter. Sincerity in them can be brought out by pointing a gun to their faces.

7 hours ago, Steve5380 said:

I came many times as a tourist, and lately when I arrived at Changi without rush I would take the MTR first to Pasir Ris to get a seat in the crowded metro on the way to City Hall. I haven't experienced a breakdown, but crowded it is!  There is a lack of inexpensive good hotels. Service people are very dry and business like. For me personally, the main attraction to the place are the gay boys.  So please don't leave your island but keep making it more friendly for gay tourists :) 

Gay sex is illegal in Singapore whether private or public, it is even more serious if you play with "boys"

• Guest locked this topic