Male HQ

I am a 20yo skinny kid with low self esteem. Advice needed.

Guest poorchild

Guest poorchild

Hi all ! I'm in my final year of poly , the year of ippt and sports in school sigh. It just hit me really hard that i'm not strong enough for all the tests ahead. With a low self esteem about my bod whenever i shower or check myself out in public whenever i walk by those opaque surfaces that effectively shame you almost immediately

I'm really worried how i'm not looking more adult-ish, in fact, been mistaken for being a year 1 kid. (legit) All in all, i would really appreciate if i could receive tips guides, recommendations on getting big and strong (protein, cheap steroids, kill myself maybe?)

tl;dr 20s kid with an 180cm/50kg slenderman physique needs help getting big in time for ns or for life

would appreciate real tips and not a turnaround about my perception that all its in my mind blah blah. :)

Guest not bufflord

protein would do, or maybe mass gainer, there's no need to go for steroids. if u have a buddy, train together so he can correct ur form, give u advice and share tips. be consistent in ur trainings. rest well, sleep well, eat well. when u work hard, it's important to rest well too. when u go to the gym, don't feel shy or shameful, just do what u need to do. it's really best start with a buddy with prior knowledge. otherwise watch a lot of guides at youtube. (if u r rich enough, a personal trainer). give urself 6 months to 1 year to see the difference. don't be demoralized too soon. don't give up! people can change themselves, just don't be lazy.

Guest Skinny

I was 170cm and 45kg when I enter NS.   Being tall and slim has great advantage during army training because you tend to be more agile as compare to the fatty recruit.

• G_M changed the title to I am a 20yo skinny kid with low self esteem. Advice needed.

Your BMI is just 15.43 which is way too low for a coming-to-age young man.  I am not a nutritionist but I would simply advise you to eat more..of everything.  Besides increasing your food intake, you need to see medical diagnosis.  Another question is whether you have any physical disability (I don't mean short-sightedness)?

1) see a doctor/dietician to discuss the situation first.  agree that maybe there is some other issue at play, or perhaps just you have very high metabolism (when you get to be late 30s you will wish you had this again so enjoy it while it lasts)

2) eat a healthy and mixed diet and don't overdo it.  eat as much as you can when you are hungry, and try to have small healthy snacks just to increase some calories.  seriously things like bananas, cashew nuts, almonds, and so on really can help go a long way to give you healthy calories without nasty side effects of other powders and such.  cheaper too.  

3)  would think some basic training (less on the cardio/running so you don't burn muscle/lose more weight) and weights (don't overdo it at first; build up slowly since you're quite lean) would do it.  i have also seen others do simple DIY workouts at home with really good results. if you're the overly-conscious-to-go-to-the-gym sort of guy, see if there are a few good ones you find on youtube for things like basic crossfit, reps of crunches, pull ups, etc.  

4) steroids = health problems, increased cancer risk, and (from what i am told) dick shrink.  seriously not an option so don't go that way.

feel lucky you're lean!  the results from exercise will show up that much more quickly and nicely with no fat to burn!

i am also over 180cm and was the skinny kid for much of my life until about the last 7 years or so.  now more healthy/average weight and good BMI so anything is possible. my bf is big into fitness and my mother is a dietitian so what i share here is based on experience and some very good advice from the qualified ppl around me.

ps -- nv kill yourself, and esp not because you don't live up to society's craptastic standards.  just aim to be the best that you can be in whatever the undertaking.  at the end of the day, that is all you can realistically expect from yourself.  if you try to please others, you will nv be happy no matter how good you look.  

Give it time, you are still young. When i enter NS, I weigh around 49kg. NS was really a turning point to a lot of skinny guys like me cause everyone just wanna be the best of the best. And we pushed one another. If you can ask for more rice, ask. If you can ask for more meat, just ask. The food there isn't much but the meals are consistent the very least

My IPPT during my final year, I just flung it. I couldn't run and I couldn't even pull my own bodyweight. And all I remember was the instructor there gave a sigh, like I was a waste of his time. It took a lot of trial and error for me to gain a good amount of weight for me. I tried a lot of weird diets out there. I remember there was GOMAD. But, I was lactose intolerant. ^_^

So that didn't work.  Find your own drive to why you want it as bad as you want to breathe.

Don't think of suicide. It is never an answer to everything. And I'm speaking from experience. You create your own happiness, remember that. You choose how you want to feel each day.

Cheers. We are all here to help :D

Edited by Takuya29

Live life to the fullest as if each day was the last.

Nobody is born a warrior in exactly the same way that nobody is born an average man. We make ourselves into one or the other.

Follow me on instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thelonelygeek/

Besides the good advice by ctglobal, Takuya29 and others, 

what can be remarked is that discipline, perseverance are your tickets out of your situation.

Any positive changes to our body happen SLOWLY.

So put good, smart effort and let time pass. Don't look in the mirror every day.

You may attain the body you like in ten years, when you are 30.

So slow... so what?  I am more than twice that age

and I keep reaping the benefits from having put the effort starting so many years ago!

You cannot change the color of your skin or your height. But you can gain weight and strength.

The alternative is to do nothing and gain nothing. 

While you work out to build more muscles and eat plenty of the right foods,

feel happy that you are working towards an objective that you can realistically attain.

• 1 month later...
On 4/23/2017 at 0:30 AM, GuestK said:

Slowly train up your strength ! Learn some judo ! I'm 168 45 still going as strong as I can :)

That's a good idea, to start practicing a martial art.

Not necessarily karate, taekwondo or very aggressive ones, but something more defensive.

Judo is fine, and Aikido is even better.

I have been practicing Aikido for several years now, and I see it as one of the most positives.

It does not take exhaustive training, it is low-risk, it is not competitive, and it includes some spirituality.

It is ideal for older people like me, but it gives self-confidence to anybody who is not overly strong.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Round

Don't let your weight affect your self esteem. Be happy and confident with yourself no matter how much you weigh. I was about 178 cm and 50 kg when I entered NS. Very thin. Slowly the training made me somewhat stronger although I did not gain much weight. But I did become more comfortable with myself for a while. In university, being around some stronger guys made me feel more self conscious, and I wore baggier shirts to better conceal my skinny torso and arms.

When I started working, I had less time for sports and started to gain more weight, but in the wrong place. By the time I was 30, I had thin arms, and a growing stomach. I started going to the gym four times per week. But my appetite is my enemy. I love chocolate bars and sweet drinks too much. I did successfully give up ice cream and potato chips but need to do more. After several years of working out regularly, I have a nice chest, but still can't get my midsection in shape.

I will keep working at it, of course, and continue trying to improve my diet. But just remember that it could always be worse. I wish I was as skinny as I used to be, compared with what I am now, a guy with skinny arms and a flabby belly and waist. So please follow the advice of people who said you should try to gain weight slowly and with a good plan to do so. Otherwise your physique might develop unevenly, and you could end up in my position, which is also not good.

I say... NEVER TAKE WEIGHT GAINER!!

2years ago, I was 175cm 60kg. Seems acceptable right? To me it's Not, I want more. I had been underweight for 16years.

Finally become acceptable weight after 16yo.. so my aim is always to become big size. Army allow me to gain some weight before Ord. But that's still not enough for me, I'm greedy.

So 2015, I start to take weight GAINER. I was 60kg. Within 4months, I gained 7kg. Finally 67kg. I stopped taking weight GAINER..  But I realised it's too late. My weight just keep increasing slowly.

A few months back I was 74kg. Thanks to food poisoning I dropped to 71kg.

Right now, I'm not trying to gain fat anymore, not trying to slim down either. But I've learned to start to get fit. 

The usual..

1) diet

2) exercise

3) get enough sleep

You won't see much result if you don't follow any of the 3.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest johnsonklt

no use to compare urself or ur own physical body to others.

just be urself,  eat healthy, stay healthy.

be urself.  If u like consult the doctor

see what his/her advise.   

most important of all excerise.   

On 4/23/2017 at 6:38 AM, Guest poorchild said:

Hi all ! I'm in my final year of poly , the year of ippt and sports in school sigh. It just hit me really hard that i'm not strong enough for all the tests ahead. With a low self esteem about my bod whenever i shower or check myself out in public whenever i walk by those opaque surfaces that effectively shame you almost immediately

I'm really worried how i'm not looking more adult-ish, in fact, been mistaken for being a year 1 kid. (legit) All in all, i would really appreciate if i could receive tips guides, recommendations on getting big and strong (protein, cheap steroids, kill myself maybe?)

tl;dr 20s kid with an 180cm/50kg slenderman physique needs help getting big in time for ns or for life

would appreciate real tips and not a turnaround about my perception that all its in my mind blah blah. :)

Skinny is kinda sexy to me actually

All people deserve to live with dignity and respect, free from fear and violence, and protected against discrimination, regardless of their gender identity or sexual orientation.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.