Male HQ

Tokyo / Fukuoka / Sapporo (Japan ) - Massage / Sauna / Places To Visit (Compiled)

Guest 2727

Thanks to Andy for the info.

The Sumiyoshi street is indeed filled with PLU bars and a few saunas. But all of them were behind closed doors and have a "members only" sign on the door. Feels too intimidating especially for a non-Japanese speaking foreigner.

I went to NakaNaka on a weekday evening and the turnout was not good at all. There were only 2 customers including me, and I left an hour later. While walking along the Sumiyoshi street, I saw a couple of G-men chatting loudly behind me and then went into a bar called AZ Bar, so this is probably a G-man bar but I am not into this type and so moved on. Then I came across another one which I had found on the internet called Hachibankan (8番馆) and felt like going in, so I pushed the door and suddenly remembered I can't kiru-kiru with them, so chicked out and ran away fearing that I might feel like a fool sitting alone in the bar.

Thanks Trav,

I made a search from the Bar name u gave and found this

http://www.fukuoka-now.com/cn/articles/show/1060

The Japanese link provided leads to the bar website but other links at the sites are not functional.

Just thought that the article would come in handy for others who might visit fukuoka.

just a question did u visit the sauna during weekend (Fri,Sat,Sun) or weekday?

Thanks

Yes, I saw that article before and that was how I got to know about Hachibankan. I was busy on weekends and had a hard time breaking away from the straight friends, so didn't get to visit the sauna on weekends. Probably, there might be more people then but I have certainly missed it <_<

Overall, the people in Japan are really polite and civilized, I hope to visit again if I have another chance. So envious of you to be able to stay there :)

Just gotten back from Japan. Its a realli nice place. The season is late autumm and early winter. Temperature bout 8-15 degree. If it rain in the nite, its bout 6degree.

Visited several pubs in Ueno and Asakusa. The ppl there r generally friendly and nice. However, it can be real hard to locate the places.

I tried visiting some pubs listed in the treads but they no longer exist. It is advisable to get otokamachi map in Japan. It cost bout 2,500 yen (approx S$40). It has the full listing.

It is advisable to get otokamachi map in Japan. It cost bout 2,500 yen (approx S$40). It has the full listing.

Thanks for the update legoboy,

Just to point out that there are actually 2 different publishers. Otokomachi is one and the other one is OMM. They are published annually (updated). Personally, i prefer OMM.

4th year into the PLU scene and i felt as though i have finally gotten things right (?).

No longer rushing into relationships, no longer running into one-night-stand. What I found more is friends, not sex-friends, but friends who would lent a listening ear when u need, friends who would keep each other accompany. And this group grew larger when i joined the PLU tennis group 3months ago. Here, i would share my bit of tennis in Tokyo.

Things that i acquired at the start:

Tennis racket (second hand ones are quite cheap from 3000yen onwards and first hand rackets are from 10,000yen onwards)

Wrist guard (find this especially useful for me coz' it helps absorb impact and reduces the stress on ur elbow)

Tennis shoes (the one that i got can be used for multi-terrains 5000yen)

There are both wkends and wkdays groups. The wkdays ones are mostly for those who have retired (old/old couples) while those wkdends ones are mixed.

Each session is 2-4h (depending on the group u join) and costs about 200-600yen (depending on the number of hours u play and the total number of people).

I joined 2 different groups(one sat group and the other sun group) usually play 4-5h each day. The style of the groups is different, and i find playing with different players/groups helps improve ur own tennis skills. Both groups play only double games though.

During the first 1h to 1 and half hour, we do strokes (near/far), volleys and finally serve practices. The Sunday group is better for beginners like me coz' the group leader would be serving the ball to us and we take turns to practice the stokes/volleys. The group leader would also point out our mistakes and help us improve our techniques.

Following the warming-up session, we would then draw lots once and get paired up randomly each game.

Average turn up for each session is 6-8 people.

The Saturday group uses clay court while the sunday group uses the 'hard'(?) court.

After tennis, depending on the group, we may or may not go for dinner/drink together.

They also have tennis camp. Usually 2D/1N. We would stay in a hotel/resort outside Tokyo and play tennis for 2 consecutive days. I did join one camp and though i didnt stay overnight, it was quite fun.

Initially, I thought winter got no tennis but they still continue to play. Kind of cold but after u start running ard, u would get used to the weather.

Hi Andy,

It's great to read about your newfound tennis adventure in Japan. I used to think playing tennis in Tokyo was prohibitively expensive but I guess at 200-600 yen per pax, it's not too bad. Heard also that tennis is a popular sport over there...I guess having tennis pros like Ai Sugiyama, Kimiko Date and the up and coming Kei Nishikori to represent Japan seems to bring up the popularity of the sport.

As for tennis equipments, I find that you can get them cheaper in Sg. So the next time you're back in Sg, you might wanna check out Queensway and Lucky Plaza for all your tennis needs.

One final question before I go, what kind of clay court do they have in Tokyo? Is it the French Open red-clay or just a mixture of sand and clay?

OK! I guess the next time I go Tokyo, I might be able to ask you for some hitting sessions. :) Have fun!

Better the Devil you know than the Angel you don't...

Hi Sundevil,

Yes, tennis is quite popular here. The reservation of courts in central tokyo is quite competitive. e.g. if one is like 1min late, one might not be able to get the time slots he wans, esp during weekends.

Thanks for the tips for tennis equipment.

So far i have only seen the sand and clay type

http://www.ycac.net/ycac_web_tour_small/clay_tennis_court.jpg

OK! I guess the next time I go Tokyo, I might be able to ask you for some hitting sessions.

>Sure. ;)

Dear All fellow BWers

Happy New Year to one and all!

While packing my cupboard, I just realised that I have an old copy of OMM Guide 2008. It provides the info to the various PLU places in Japan. Though it may be a little out-dated, I believe it may come in useful for those who are planning to visit Japan soon. (Do note that most details in the book are in Japanese)

I will send the copy by ordinary mail (in a plain envelope) to any BWer who is keen to have it. As I only have 1 copy to give away, it will be on a first-come-first-serve basis. The first BWer to PM me with his complete details will receive the copy by mail shortly.

In your PM, please provide your name and your Singapore mailing address for me to send to. I will send a PM to the successful guy. Kindly note that I will not bear any responsibility if the copy is lost in the mail.

Hope that Y2010 will be a good year for all!

Edited by gpfun

• 2 weeks later...

Will be heading there in June and thought I'd check out to see if anyone had any good recommendations for hotels in these 2 locations. I'll be there for about a week and my budget is about $150 US/day + -.

Inclined to go with local style rather than an international chain type hotel for a change.

Prefer non-smoking. I don't mind Japanese futon style (I sleep in one anyways).

Thanks in advance.

"Life it too short to be small"

You can try the toyoko inn for your stay in Kyoto and Tokyo. Website is http://www.toyoko-inn.com/eng/. Most of them are near to the train stations. You can even do a online-booking. And they provide free breakfast! I have stayed there for sometime and they are pretty decent hotels.

Thanks for the lead, I'll definitely check this hotel out.

Will be heading there in June and thought I'd check out to see if anyone had any good recommendations for hotels in these 2 locations. I'll be there for about a week and my budget is about $150 US/day + -.

Inclined to go with local style rather than an international chain type hotel for a change.

Prefer non-smoking. I don't mind Japanese futon style (I sleep in one anyways).

Thanks in advance.

I think you are looking for Ryokan - Japanese style Inn.

There are many all over Japan and some smaller ones are family run where you can bathe with the family too if you want.

Most includes Japanese style breakfast.

With your budget, you can select the better ones with hot spring within - if you are game enough, go for the communal bath, you never know who you'll meet. :twisted:

Try searching here : http://www.ryokan.or.jp/

I think you are looking for Ryokan - Japanese style Inn.

There are many all over Japan and some smaller ones are family run where you can bathe with the family too if you want.

Most includes Japanese style breakfast.

With your budget, you can select the better ones with hot spring within - if you are game enough, go for the communal bath, you never know who you'll meet. :twisted:

Try searching here : http://www.ryokan.or.jp/

Thanks Cock Brand for the leads. I've experienced communal baths in Japan before and don't mind it at all. But I haven't had the chance to experience one with a host family or a male and female one yet, haha! Might try it this time round for the experience.

This website (http://japaneseguesthouses.com/index.htm) is what I've used whenever I visit Japan for holiday and wish to stay in a ryokan. The description is accurate and you can book on-line. It covers many major cities / localities in Japan.

Thanks for the lead, I'll definitely check it out.

Any strong recommendations on which ryokan? Thanks.

Hi Fundoshi dude,

I thought the answers could be found somewhere in this forum and left ur post unattended. But when i tried to look for it today, i gave up coz i cant find. lol.

Anyway, the fundoshi should be available at most PLU book/video stalls, in Shinjuku ni chou me, Ueno. If u visit the 24kaikians, i think they also sell. Fundoshi bars also sell them.

i was told >Some of the big departmental stalls might also sell Fundoshi too<

If u cant find them, u could also order online

Fundoshi Online

• 2 weeks later...

Sumo is not an 'in' thing in Singapore but those into chubs (of sumo size) might be in for a shock coz one well-known warrior has retired from the arena today. He is none other than 朝青龍 (Asashouryu).. only 29-yr-old.

Reason for his retirement: Apparently, he was drunk and punched someone who later filed a police report against him. The sumo association wasnt pleased about their top warrior being caught in such a scandal and I supposed that they suggested he either retired... or get fired.

Another sumo retired last month 千代大海 (Chiotaikai), he was down due to injuries. It was by chance that i managed to see him during his retirement and managed to take a pic (would post later). Managed to shake his hands and was surprised that while he has good skin complexion the palms were quite rough.. the texture of his palm feels like sand. then come to think of it, its part of the sumo training.. and i guess all sumo's hand would somewhat be like that

Edited by Andy@Tokyo

Sumo is not an 'in' thing in Singapore but those into chubs (of sumo size) might be in for a shock coz one well-known warrior has retired from the arena today. He is none other than 朝青龍 (Asashouryu).. only 29-yr-old.

Reason for his retirement: Apparently, he was drunk and punched someone who later filed a police report against him. The sumo association wasnt pleased about their top warrior being caught in such a scandal and I supposed that they suggested he either retired... or get fired.

Another sumo retired last month 千代大海 (Chiotaikai), he was down due to injuries. It was by chance that i managed to see him during his retirement and managed to take a pic (would post later). Managed to shake his hands and was surprised that while he has good skin complexion the palms were quite rough.. the texture of his palm feels like sand. then come to think of it, its part of the sumo training.. and i guess all sumo's hand would somewhat be like that

What?? 朝青龍 retired?? Oh god...this is really tragic! And 千代大海 too? Oh dear...so so sad :(

FOund this on the net, dedicated to these 2 cuties: http://v.ku6.com/show/Pi01vgcs2Byw8nYL.html

What?? 朝青龍 retired?? Oh god...this is really tragic! And 千代大海 too? Oh dear...so so sad :(

FOund this on the net, dedicated to these 2 cuties: http://v.ku6.com/show/Pi01vgcs2Byw8nYL.html

朝青龍 has the perfect sumo wrestler physique. Those muscular, protruding buttocks! :thumb:

我有煙但係邊個有火。。。

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone in Tokyo willing to go to the saunas with me and explore Tokyo?

How rude. You did not even thank Andy, our resident Japan expert who is always very helpful with information. I am sure he does not mind but I mind.

Actually I did - we started exchanging emails which is why I did not write to him here but of course I am grateful!

How rude. You did not even thank Andy, our resident Japan expert who is always very helpful with information. I am sure he does not mind but I mind.

Actually I did - we started exchanging emails which is why I did not write to him here but of course I am grateful!

Ok then, sorry. Good to know that you did. Hope you have a good time in Tokyo. Cheers.

Thanks Guest.

>Nycjoe

Look forward to hear your tips after ur trip.

Another thing.. Get ur hands on the guide book When u are in Shinjuku nichome (would be helpful if u are interested in bars as well).

Most of the book stalls in Shinjuku nichoume sell the book (Either OMM or otokamachi)

And check out the post by castaway under this http://www.blowingwind.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=12846

For hotels, check out gpfun's post.. he suggested a number of hotels in shinjuku too.

If i am not wrong both ur preferences are similar.

Edited by Andy@Tokyo

Beef4beef,

I just came back from a trip (Osaka, Kyoto and Nara). i Didnt stay in ryokan and i based myself in Osaka. U interested in the hotels in osaka (Not ryokans though)? The train from Osaka to Kyoto is about 40mins. I realised that its nearer to Nara from Osaka.

Anyway would start another thread on Kansai area

Edited by Andy@Tokyo

Beef4beef,

I just came back from a trip (Osaka, Kyoto and Nara). i Didnt stay in ryokan and i based myself in Osaka. U interested in the hotels in osaka (Not ryokans though)? The train from Osaka to Kyoto is about 40mins. I realised that its nearer to Nara from Osaka.

i did this as well last year. I stayed in Osaka and travelled to Kyoto and Nara via the JR lines or Shinkansen. Can't recall. Haha.

The one i stayed in Osaka is Ramada Osaka. Quite a good stay and nicely furnished hotel. Cheap as well.

Beef4beef,

Hi Andy,

Hope you had a great trip. Thanks for the info. Osaka isn't in the plans right now. I might just hang out in Tokyo instead as I'm finding more stuff to do. Still open to anything right now. Thanks again.

Mike

i did this as well last year. I stayed in Osaka and travelled to Kyoto and Nara via the JR lines or Shinkansen. Can't recall. Haha.

The one i stayed in Osaka is Ramada Osaka. Quite a good stay and nicely furnished hotel. Cheap as well.

Hi Sebamed, Thanks for responding. I will check out Ramada Osaka. If anything just for knowledge.

i stayed at this matsumoto ryokan at kyoto. its directly opposite Kyoto Main Station where both JR as well as shinkansen are available. its also at the main bus interchange where you can take the bus to many places.

the ryokan i stayed in cost ard 5000Yen (ard 78sgd), is japanese style with only a wash basin in the room. toilet is outside and bath is communal. there are also option for rooms that comes with bath and toilet.

from kyoto i travel to osaka also. both JR line and Shinkansen goes to and fro Osaka from Kyoto. the time difference is about 30 to 40 minutes difference.

Do go to the aquarium:http://www.kaiyukan.com/index.html

When i was there, i reached there at 7.30 and it was closed! So do go early.

And personally i wouldn't recommend the Osaka Castle... ;)

Not sure abt the gay scene there as i was there with a straight buddy. <_<

Hi Recklessbootlegger,

Other non gay places:

At South area of Osaka, there is this station called NanBa 難波, When u reach there go to 道頓堀 Dotonhori (Shopping, food and sight seeing). Try the Okonomiyaki there.. Its totally different from Tokyo and its much much more tasty.

Universal Studio?

Gay Places in Osaka is Separated into 4 main areas. South area is like Shinjuku, North area is like Shimbashi, Middle area is like Ueno and South East area (They call it 新世界 Shinsekai) is like asakusa.

Check out Steman's thread on Osaka too?

From ur post i guess the following Sauna might be suitable

1)Business Inn Okuukan (ビジネスイン 北欧館)http://www.hokuoukan.jp/

2) daikichi 大吉 Htttp:www.jack-box.xom/

3) SupotsuMenzuKurabu Osaka (スポーツメンクラブ) No website but address is 大阪市西成区太子 1-15-24.

Beef4beef, hope u would read this thread as well.

Hotel I stayed in Osaka, 東急イン (Tokyu Inn) About 6500yen and 阪急イン (Hankyu Inn) about 6600yen before. Good rooms, got breakfast and near to station.

When are u going? I aim to post some pics of my recent trip there before u go.

• G_M changed the title to Tokyo / Fukuoka / Sapporo (Japan ) - Massage / Sauna / Places To Visit (Compiled)
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.