Male HQ

Indie / Underground Pop / Alternative Music Fans?

IkuTube

What I like about Bainbridge and Frente's voice is their crystal clear voices. Their covers bring a sad tone to the songs: Being Boring and Bizarre love triangle

Bjork - I like Virus more than Crystalline. I still yearn for the earlier Bjork like Violently Happy and Big Time Sensuality.

Edited by glowingember

After all, tomorrow is another day. ~ S O'Hara

My favorite hip-hop artist is still Kanye West. His second album impressed me, and I digged back to his past works and has since followed his career. Also, the way he re-appropriated songs from Chaka Khan, Shirley Bassey, and Daft Punk into his own works, imo, beat the originals.

Kanye West is one rare case of mainstream rap acts who are willing to experiment with stylistic diversity. He got a big ego, but he can back it up.

When I first heard of Kanye West, it was more of his behaviour than his music...but slowly upon listening, I find myself enjoying his creations...especially the little magic when he is featured in other singers' songs.

Of all his songs, this one I like the most.

Edited by glowingember

After all, tomorrow is another day. ~ S O'Hara

Dont really like Bjork but I find a band she was previously part of quite tolerable. Before she became cuckoo.

Actually the band Sugarcubes was not really her finer moments. I only have that one album Stick Around For Joy which produced their one and only hit. I didn't even like it that much. Luckily they disbanded after that last album, subsequently released a remixed and greatest hits album, then Bjork went solo to a blossoming career. But her sound is always evolving, from jazz to dance to experimental electronica. I do appreciate her range in styles and songs. I mean I still enjoy earlier songs like Venus As A Boy, Violently Happy to quirky ones like It's Oh So Quiet, to haunting ones like All Is Full Of Love, to trippy ones like Possibly Maybe, to bass-thumping ones like Army Of Me. Her Debut album is still an all-time classic in my books and her output of materials have been consistently good if not better. Granted her newer stuffs are beginning to stagnate and sound collectively similar (boring), but her Post and Homogenic albums still proved that she was still capable of moments of brilliance. Still remember how good Human Behaviour and Big Time Sensuality were?? How can anyone deny her genius??

Only to lie like this between the bombs, dreaming away and not alone, because time was very short.

I cannot believe that Fiona Apple had not been discussed! She's basically a baroque-pop version of Tori Amos with dictionary-heav vocabularies and low low voice.

Never is a Promise is playing non-stop on my computer in the past couple of days. Beautiful, beautiful...

My most favorite from her is Paper Bag, which I believe is about anorexic behavior.

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

Actually the band Sugarcubes was not really her finer moments. I only have that one album Stick Around For Joy which produced their one and only hit. I didn't even like it that much.

You bought the wrong album.

They released three albums of original materials... only one is a classic. Stick Around For Joy is their weakest. You should get their first, titled Life's Too Good. There are at least five tracks there that I'm ready to call among the lady's best:

- Motorcrash

- Birthday

- Delicious Demon

- Coldsweat

- Deus

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

You bought the wrong album.

They released three albums of original materials... only one is a classic. Stick Around For Joy is their weakest. You should get their first, titled Life's Too Good. There are at least five tracks there that I'm ready to call among the lady's best:

- Motorcrash

- Birthday

- Delicious Demon

- Coldsweat

- Deus

You preceded me this time, derryfawne. LOL

Have you heard their take on this Carpenters classic?

It's a B-side track on one of their singles...

How about Mirwais Ahmadzaï? Anyone heard of him? The once producer for Madonna. Mirwais has been described as progressive, dancey and electronic. Very alternative and provocative sounds. Take a listen.

Only to lie like this between the bombs, dreaming away and not alone, because time was very short.

Shiina Ringo, formerly more on pop as she was pitted against Utada Hikaru. But has moved to pop rock, death jazz and alternative music as she matures.

One of her haunting, awesome many performances:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9qZpd0nxa8

I also like Tori Amos, Bjork and Sinead Oconnor in this genre. Bump of Chicken, the late Isabel, greyhoundz to name a few.

Edited by boybelow

Oh wow another Koop enthusiast! So I gotta say brava for bringing them up finally. I have 2 of their albums which I love and have almost entirely neglected to listen to them until now. Thanks for the Koop trip down memory lane before I go off to bed. Nitey nite!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPIG1k50Hwg&feature=related

Anyone into Ween?

They don't stick to one particular genre. They are eclectic, but one thing that remains the same is that they are a duo of humorous post-modernists who offer their take on deconstructing various music genres. And they have way too much catchy melodies to make their music more memorable than an average Zappa/Beefheart-styled deconstructivist tune. Try their honky-tonk country impersonation, for example:

Oh WOW!!! Best of both worlds....Fear of Pop and Thievery Corporation....In Love remixed....beautiful sounds to kiss under the stars.

Edited by Avecinfuser

Hi guys, I am rather new here ... in fact as of 6.30pm today :) . Just wanted to say..love the selection you guys share.

Here are some recommendations from me. Hope you guys will enjoy :)

The Sailor Song - The Gadsdens

Somebody That I Used to Know - Gotye ft Kimbra

Edited by kw26

Hi guys, I am rather new here ... in fact as of 6.30pm today :) . Just wanted to say..love the selection you guys share. Here are some recommendations from me. Hope you guys will enjoy :)The Sailor Song - The Gadsdens
Somebody That I Used to Know - Gotye ft Kimbra

i do favour kimbra anytime.

Friendly Fires, anyone? The drummer is one cute cub, and funky as hell.

my favourite live performance frm them. look at how he moves on stage.

oh well the devil makes us sin but we like it when we're spinning, in his grin.

Gadsdens? They covered a Beyonce song, didnt they? Dunno which one it was though cos I dont listen to Ms K.

I have loved this singer, Happy Rhodes for along time. She's seriously underrated.

Too bad this song doesn't have an accompanying video. Quite Kate Bush-esque, circa, Hounds of Love.

Ms Rhodes covering Ms Bush's And Dream of Sheep from the Hounds of LOve album. Brilliant cover.

I see contribution from new people. Keep 'em coming, people. ;)

I'm aware of Happy Rhodes too. Beautiful singing and reminds me a lot of Tori Amos whenever I hear her; speaking of which, expect Tori Amos to release a new album next month. Titled Night of Hunters, this is her first album to stray from her usual piano-driven alternative music towards classical territory.

This, of course, means more emphasis on her and her piano and some strings; sort of a return to the Little Earthquakes vibe. I don't think Carry is as good as any given song from Little Earthquakes though. The sheer raw naked power of honesty and emotion in Little Earthquakes is way too strong to ever be replicated again.

I used to really like Tori. Followed her almost religiously but her last album that I bought was the Beekeeper. After that, (this is a personal opinion so Tori-philes may get hissy...) she kinda became less interesting.

Her new albums kinda lost the lush melodies that came with songs like Spark, Glory of the 80s, 1,000 oceans, etc. Hope her new one is good.

With that, here's one of my fave Tori tunes.

I used to really like Tori. Followed her almost religiously but her last album that I bought was the Beekeeper. After that, (this is a personal opinion so Tori-philes may get hissy...) she kinda became less interesting.

Her new albums kinda lost the lush melodies that came with songs like Spark, Glory of the 80s, 1,000 oceans, etc. Hope her new one is good.

I think she began losing spark after To Venus and Back.

Strange Little Girls and Scarlet's Walk are probably brilliant in concepts, but the execution is lackluster. That being said, she still come up with really good songs on every album (Pancake, Martha's Foolish Ginger, Body And Soul, Flavor); it's just that the subsequent albums are lacking in consistency. It doesn't help much that she feels the urge to release 18+ songs on each album; when some of the songs would have been better off as B-sides.

Just a personal opinion.

Amen! imho, Dolls Posse was a very blah album. I listened to it and went "meh"?

Honestly I prefer Kate to Tori, thugh both are very very good singers in teir own right.

Dolls Posse is a guilty pleasure to me. I love it.

I love Beekeeper and Abnormally Attracted too.

Midwinter Graces and Strange Little Girls are the only two Tori albums that I'm too lazy to put on.

I think Kate and Tori functions differently. They are both freaky, smart girls with piano, and Tori's upper head register brings Kate to mind; but that's where the comparison ends.

Kate is a storyteller, be it of mythical folklores or sociopolitical issues. With Tori, it's always as if we're taking a peek into her personal diary. Kate's creativity never ceases to amaze me, but Tori's power hits me right on the heart.

Not too sure if you people have heard about Canadian singer-songwriter Feist; but if you've seen the official iPod commercial, you've probably heard 1234.

She has a new song that just gets released.

Given her astounding vocal talent, I don't think that's the best she could do though. Anyway, my personal favorite from her are Gatekeeper and Tout Doucement.

I have a Sarah McLachlan remixed CD somewhere but I can't seem to locate it...dammit I hate it when I can't find my CDs! It's missing and it's a damn good CD too. I think it was called Bloom. Love that album. Anyway....THE AMAZING DIDO!!! With the awesome Thank You and an equally excellent video.

BTW, can somebody teach me how to post 2 vids at one time? Ever since BW changed its look, I can't seem to do it anymore.

Edited by Avecinfuser

BTW, can somebody teach me how to post 2 vids at one time? Ever since BW changed its look, I can't seem to do it anymore.

Just copy-paste the link twice. =)

If you're into Sarah and Dido, you'll probably like local artist Corrine May also.

Not a big fan of Dido myself, but Sarah is amazing. Fear is my favorite from her.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.