Male HQ

Indie / Underground Pop / Alternative Music Fans?

IkuTube

I live Aimee Mann's first album, Whatever is imho the best.

The critical consensus seems to be divided between Whatever and Bachelor No. 2, with some hardcore fans championing Lost in Space. I'm on the Bachelor No. 2 camp.

Whatever is the only Aimee album that gets listed on Robert Dimery's 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die, by the way, It's an interesting book that takes both critical and commercial phenomenons into account. The time span covers from Frank Sinatra's In The Wee Small Hours (1955) to the White Stripes' Get Behind Me Satan (2005), although the revised editions extend it all the way to the Yeah Yeah Yeahs' It's Blitz! (2009). I think most of you fellow music fans will enjoy this book. There are download links to the first edition of the book from the blog below:

http://gimow.blogspot.com/2010/12/1001-albums-you-must-hear-before-you.html

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

I live Aimee Mann's first album, Whatever is imho the best.

Two gem

Actually the most memorable song from her was " Rip in Heaven" when she was with the band Till Tuesday.

I first heard in from my brother's collection.

But somehow, years later, ths song did mark a significant part in my early gay love life,

I was pursued by this guy, who was like a man in my dreams. For 4months he managed to woo and convinced me that he was dead serious to setle down with me.'

The bliss of 4 months' of heaven was finally bursted, when I received a call from someone one day, claiming that he was my dream's guy boyfriend for 3 years.

The bf actually accused me of seducing him and intended to break their relationship.

When I finally confrontated him, he admitted all along while pursuing me, he was attached to a 3 years relationship.

Nope, I do not tolerate such a liie to me, or such infidelity., so it was bye bye baby bye bye ,and " so long and sorry darling, I was planning a heaven with you forever, but we didn't even count to ten"

I remembered him crying and running after my cab, asking me to give him another chance.

Pretty memorable scene actually....

Edited by TheVisitors

There was one very strong interest which binded one of my ex and me together, was, our interest in cult movies, vampires, occult stuff, and anything with sight of blood, sends us into a frenetic mood.

Don't ask me why. This a very sick but very absurb combination, and we believed we were both vampires or cult worshippers in our past lives dealing with blood.

A very dark side about him that he was a very highly sex addict. During sex when hismood heightens, he simply turned into another character. with blood shot eyes, and can be very rough. A few times, while smooching and biting my neck. i don't know how his teeth could scraped my skin and it bled.

One of our favourite movie. was watching Byran Strokes' Dracula, in his room when we were living in his place.

Somehow, the movie always ended up us having sex.

Looking back, that episode in my life was pretty absurb, but I sort of miss those days.

OMG!!! Thievery Corporation's new album Culture of Fear featuring LouLou on vocals, take a listen to this extremely chill-out and cool track Take My Soul. Totally totally Thievery!

Also just found out that UNKLE has a new album too....err....I know it's been out a while now, so my news a bit slow but nonetheless, UNKLE is awesome!!! From Where Did The Night Fall this is Follow Me Down....amazing video....anyone knows who provided the vocals???

Remember Rabbit In Your Headlight featuring Radiohead's Thom Yorke??? How awesome is UNKLE??? :)

Only to lie like this between the bombs, dreaming away and not alone, because time was very short.

Just wanna ask your take on Bjork's just released Biophilia in its entirety? I've just got it and personally, it's more of the same Bjork chic except for a few yawn tracks (Moon, Solstice) and a few outstanding ones (Mutual Core, Crystalline, Cosmonogy)....some of her tracks seem like they belong to some art film soundtrack with a full orchestra backing. I found a video for Moon (YAWNZ)....nice video though....but as a first track to an album....well....can put you to sleep.

Edited by Avecinfuser

Only to lie like this between the bombs, dreaming away and not alone, because time was very short.

yeah, garbage was partly the reason why i became obsessed being a redhead. weird truth to be told.

lana reminds me of nancy sinatra's arrangement of music. and the undertones of sixties tune in the background.

oh well the devil makes us sin but we like it when we're spinning, in his grin.

sorry to sidetrack, but sophia coppola's ingenious use of selective music that accompanied this film is just immaculate.

pardon me, i watched it countless times over the years and the music playlist in it is just captivating.

oh well the devil makes us sin but we like it when we're spinning, in his grin.

Just wanna ask your take on Bjork's just released Biophilia in its entirety? I've just got it and personally, it's more of the same Bjork chic except for a few yawn tracks (Moon, Solstice) and a few outstanding ones (Mutual Core, Crystalline, Cosmonogy)....some of her tracks seem like they belong to some art film soundtrack with a full orchestra backing. I found a video for Moon (YAWNZ)....nice video though....but as a first track to an album....well....can put you to sleep.

I think Biophilia is her second weakest album so far, only better than Drawing Restraint 9.

Even the best track (Cosmogony) would not be a highlight on a Bjork's lesser album like Volta.

She is becoming more and more Art and less and less Music. This sparse stripped-down world music + chorale arrangement that she's been pursuing on the last 4 albums doesn't work for her. Go back to house music and pop hooks, girl.

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

Yeah pump it up a notch girl!! Also don't you feel that the whole album is very short or maybe it's just a feeling I got after listening to it and feeling YAWN YAWN YAWN (maybe can be bedtime music)....I think gone were her DEBUT days which was one word AWESOME.

I don't think Bjork will ever go back to kooky pop. That's why her early solo albums were called Debut and Post - to rid her of the pop stuff she wanna do before Homogenic.

So... once I was with my FB whom I had a little crush on, and this song came on, and I thought how fking appropriate it was.

In a Nick Drake mood. I think it's cos of the rain this week.

sorry to sidetrack, but sophia coppola's ingenious use of selective music that accompanied this film is just immaculate.

pardon me, i watched it countless times over the years and the music playlist in it is just captivating.

I love the book even more! Have the soundtrack too...love it!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.