Male HQ

Indie / Underground Pop / Alternative Music Fans?

IkuTube

Love Damien Rice.

What about Muse? Probably the most popular alternative band among the mainstream crowd right now. I like pretty much three album of theirs, from Origin of Symmetry through Absolution to Black Holes and Revelations, they were pretty good. Below is them channeling Queen's spirit:

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

I'm not a fan of KoЯn, neither do I think that the song below is a five-star, but I admire their bold career move. We've heard dubstep everywhere from indie favorite James Blake to commercial megastar Britney Spears, but they are always confined in the electronica/dance music scene. Narcissistic Cannibal, their recent single, is probably the first song ever to incorporate elements of dubstep into a rock song. Not entirely surprised, though, KoЯn pretty much (for better or worse) invented a whole new genre of nu metal back in the mid-1990s.

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

i was this close to posting the same track yesterday.

glad that you beat me to that.

good morning everyone, monday's a chockful to swallow.

and this to fast forward to friday. Jessica 6, vocal contributor for Hercules and Love Affair.

oh well the devil makes us sin but we like it when we're spinning, in his grin.

Back to the subject of a girl with a piano.

I've brought out Regina Spektor in this thread before, but the song I posted (Samson) was from her Tori Amos-lite Soviet Kitsch days. Soviet Kitsch was consciously indie and unpolished, but her subsequent works prove that she's one of those few alternative musicians who are not afraid of borrowing direct pop hooks into their compositions, and at the same time, maintain a certain amount of originality and quirkiness that none other can pull; which is why I'm a bit surprised that she isn't as commercially successful as she could have been. Maybe the mainstream market was too into hip-hop and monotonous beats to care.

If I kiss you where it's sore, will you feel better?

Jessica 6 - I like.

Wonder if she's related to Vanity 6 or Appollonia 6.

She's like the Euro version

Regina Spektor - I have the E-e-e-e-e CD. She's like Tori Amos, Kate Bush and Sara Bareilles all rolled into one.

I didn't catch Prince Caspian movie but this is a nice song to sing along to.

After all, tomorrow is another day. ~ S O'Hara

Not too sure if anyone remembers Lisa Loeb, she's pretty much the first artist to reach the top of the Billboard chart without having been signed to any recording contract.

Regina Spektor - I have the E-e-e-e-e CD. She's like Tori Amos, Kate Bush and Sara Bareilles all rolled into one.

What's the E-e-e-e-e CD?

Regina Spektor...:-)

The CD is actually Far (couldn't remember it while I was typing)

In the CD, there is this song e-e-e-e-e-eet

Lisa Loeb - haven't heard this song for a while...remembering the 90s...

Remembered watching the movie Reality Bites and Gen X.

Edited by glowingember

Regina Spektor...:-)

The CD is actually Far (couldn't remember it while I was typing)

In the CD, there is this song e-e-e-e-e-eet

Ah, of course. That was a nice song.

Far is good, but Begin to Hope is better and Soviet Kitsch is her magnum opus.

I like the indie release 11:11 too; very very raw but showcases how much she can do with minimal arrangements (see the two songs below).

Just wanna ask your take on Bjork's just released Biophilia in its entirety? I've just got it and personally, it's more of the same Bjork chic except for a few yawn tracks (Moon, Solstice) and a few outstanding ones (Mutual Core, Crystalline, Cosmonogy)....some of her tracks seem like they belong to some art film soundtrack with a full orchestra backing.

I've given my two cents on this before, but my opinion has changed.

Initially, I have been critical of this album, but surprisingly it has grown its charm on me. I still think this is one of Bjork's lesser works, but I don't think it's a weak album anymore. Aside from the tracks you mentioned (although I'm not a big fan of Crystalline), I'll also add the Vespertine-lite Virus and especially the Tesla coil-coated Thunderstorm as the highlights. I'm not sure what Tesla coil really is, but those bassy crackling distortion sound it created near the end of the song is freaking gorgeous.

I even like Moon. But Solstice is indeed the most yawn-inducing Bjork song ever.

Edited by derryfawne

Love his rendition of this song.. Great energy in how all the people are enjoying themselves, to the music to the beat

to each other on stage. That guy has one heck of a soulful voice too!

Art makes the world go round! Love is the entirety of it!

blog: www.confusedfella.blogspot.com

@ConfusedFella - the rendition is very nice. The lead singer sings like Gypsy Kings. Where's he from?

@jayy - I watched the movie too! It's very Hong Kong Chow Yun Fatt style. And the soundtrack has a very cool but detached feel to it. Maybe to keep to the theme of the movie.

@DF - Bjork is too out there for me this time. But the vids are very beautiful.

Here's a song by Dinah Washington remixed by the Verve.

Is you or is you ain't my baby?

So let's dance :D

It's cool to see more contributors on this thread.

Bring in more diversity of taste to the thread, more ways to expand our musical pallette.

Love his rendition of this song.. Great energy in how all the people are enjoying themselves, to the music to the beat

to each other on stage. That guy has one heck of a soulful voice too!

Good morning everybody.

Welcome to the board!

St. Vincent is cool. She's one of those artists that I appreciate, but not quite a fan of. Think this song is close to buying me over.

I have all her three albums but haven't really listened to them. Maybe I should push her to the top of the to-be-listened list soon.

Some Vanessa Carlton here. Her songs are mostly piano-pop, although a good number of the songs from her second album, Harmonium, are pretty experimental that she would fit nicely on the alternative scene. The song I'm posting here is White Houses, which I always take as the song about losing it for the first time. And I like how the vibe of the song is not some emo bullcrap or horny nonsense; instead, it gives out a very comforting nostalgic bouncy feel. Makes sex sound beautiful.

My first time, hard to explain

Rush of blood, oh, and a little bit of pain

On a cloudy day, it's more common than you think

He's my first mistake

Kate Bush's new album....What a disappointment! 50 Words for Snow....more like 50 Words for Boring.. I was hoping for a return to the style of her earlier albums, but instead she gives us Enya-like mush.

I love both Kate and Enya's earlier music, but when every song just sounds the same as the last one and the whole album is all the same, there is something wrong!

Apologies to those who enjoyed it. Just my disappointed opinion!

Kate Bush's new album....What a disappointment! 50 Words for Snow....more like 50 Words for Boring.. I was hoping for a return to the style of her earlier albums, but instead she gives us Enya-like mush.

I love both Kate and Enya's earlier music, but when every song just sounds the same as the last one and the whole album is all the same, there is something wrong!

Apologies to those who enjoyed it. Just my disappointed opinion!

I can understand where you're coming from.

It's certainly no Dreaming or Hounds of Love; but I think it's still pretty good haha.

I'm so gonna get arrested...

Sneaking in Britney Spears...from her crazy era - Blackout CD.

I've never heard this song played anywhere except on my ipod.

The song is soaked in sex.

I like Britney too, haha. :ph34r:

I'm a pop apologist, believing that even some of the most commercial singers may have artistic merits.

Edited by derryfawne

What about M.I.A.?

Not too sure if I've brought her out before. I loathed her at first listen, sounded like some really bizarre hip-hop music. But over time, I learned to appreciate her creativity and exotic approach to urban music. Paper Planes is widely-acclaimed as one of the best songs in the 2000s, and rightly so. Those gunshots and ka-chings in the refrain are really strategic. (Of course, the song carries political messages too. But it works even if we're judging it fully as an ear-candy.)

Clearly a display of how underground urban music dwelving into realism around.

Heard of her way back then. Brash underground hip hop intermixed with diverse cultural influence is reflected upon many of her works. From her own Tamil undertones in "XXXO" to baile funk she exploited in "Bucky Gone Done". I like the spontaneity of the whole spectrum.

My favourite after "Paper Planes"

Friday it is and we have the XX covering the grounds of Florence + the Machine's You Got The Love.

Enjoy.

oh well the devil makes us sin but we like it when we're spinning, in his grin.

MIA Paper Planes...first time hearing it. I like.

Neneh Cherry is another singer/rapper I like. Thought she's very classy in her bad-mama style.

This is her rap/hip hop version of Cole Porter's I've got you under my skin.

Another one:

Edited by glowingember

@derryfawne I do like myself some MIA too, she has a really fresh style.

@glowingember I've loved Get Naked ever since that album was released. Pure pop perfection.

Since you guys are sneaking in pop, I shall too. I didn't even know this song till I heard it on X Factor though.

Mad vocals.

@jayy - I'd normally skip Demi Lovato (and Selena Gomez) but Drew from X-Factor did a wonderful performance on the song. It's quite a good song.

Just found this on my Ipod. Like it instantly.

My favourite vulnerable male singer... Chris Garneau and his unplugged 'The Leaving Song'.

Edited by glowingember

More 1990s angsty grrrrl-can-rock.

What do you all think about Alanis? Gifted singer-songwriter? Pre-fabricated hack? Manufactured for the mass but is equipped with undeniable knack for catchy melodies? Whatever it is, Jagged Little Pill is already the best-selling alternative rock album in the world (oh well, actually second... to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon).

I think Alanis is a mildly entertaining singer-songwriter who definitely has her own place in the post-Nirvana world. Alternative purists may hate her, but she crafts hooks better than most obscure Pitchfork-approved acts that will come and go. And she'll have the last laughter, as her name goes down the history. These are my favorite tunes from her:

Speaking of Pink Floyd, although I agree with the critical consensus that they hit prime with the three 1970 monster albums (The Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, The Wall) and one unjustly underrated 1970 masterpiece (Animals), my personal favorite album from them actually dates back to their 1967 debut (my favorite tune from the album below). I think Syd Barrett is a mad talent (pun freaking intended).

I like The Dark Side of the Moon of course, but I think OK Computer is much much better. Blame it on my young age, if you wish. Anyway, my favorite from Dark Side:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcG47CpsU6c

I like Belle & Sebastian too. Wanted to push them to the top of my 'must-listen' since months ago but haven't really did. *palmface*

And since I was talking about Radiohead earlier, I suddenly get reminded about the following fan-made video from Indonesia. Really, really nice animated depiction of war.

This thread needs more M83.

New album, amazing. Period.

Also, nobody talks about Alanis without mentioning Tori Amos!

It's kinda disgusting to see that 10 + years later, that genre's shrunk by so much and replaced by... you know what.

Even Sarah Mclachlan barely registers nowadays (she's mahn-streem but screw that).

Did anyone hear of Zola Jesus though? The album's good stuff, but don't get your panties into a wad- can get quite emotional.

Also, nobody talks about Alanis without mentioning Tori Amos!

It's kinda disgusting to see that 10 + years later, that genre's shrunk by so much and replaced by... you know what.

Even Sarah Mclachlan barely registers nowadays (she's mahn-streem but screw that).

Did anyone hear of Zola Jesus though? The album's good stuff, but don't get your panties into a wad- can get quite emotional.

Tori has been discussed lots and lots of times here. Probably one of the few artists that are recognized as favorites by most regular contributors in the thread. But it's true how Alanis and Tori both tackles their lyrics on a very personal level, and both tries really hard in their lyrics (one with cryptic metaphors, the other with wordplay repetition), and both started with very questionable career choice (Y Kant Tori Read, Alanis' Debbie Gibson-wannabe records).

Sarah, on the other hand, though her post-Surfacing music is kind of mainstream, I don't think she's ever that much commercially successful (aside for that one album: Surfacing). Most Lilith Fair artists like Sarah just don't fit in to the general mainstream trend, they're more geared towards adult contemporary. Jewel and Alanis are pretty much the pinnacle of this genre in terms of commercial success (quite unfortunately), and the feat is somehow carried back to life for a short while in 2002 with Avril/Michelle/Vanessa (if you want to count them, of course... most people won't because they are too MTV-friendly, but I gotta say that they're not that bad).

Zola Jesus sounds like a stripped-down Florence + the Machine.

I don't mind Vanessa though, her newest album was actually quite pleasant and dreamy, Harmonium-like. Avril's hanging on, but Michelle has pretty much lost it.

Maybe it's the amount of adult contemp that has gotten to me, but I think Sarah got much more airplay than Tori (virtually none on our shores) and Alanis (other that Ironic-not)

Zola's way more violent with her electronic instrumentation when it's not acoustic compared to Flo, though (don't see the comparison other than the drama and melisma).

Sounds like what a serious version of How to Destroy Angels (Reznor + Wife) could be. Reznor's totally mellowed out into film scores though, but Starfxxkers is still ace.

I don't mind Vanessa though, her newest album was actually quite pleasant and dreamy, Harmonium-like. Avril's hanging on, but Michelle has pretty much lost it.

Maybe it's the amount of adult contemp that has gotten to me, but I think Sarah got much more airplay than Tori (virtually none on our shores) and Alanis (other that Ironic-not)

Zola's way more violent with her electronic instrumentation when it's not acoustic compared to Flo, though (don't see the comparison other than the drama and melisma).

Sounds like what a serious version of How to Destroy Angels (Reznor + Wife) could be. Reznor's totally mellowed out into film scores though, but Starfxxkers is still ace.

I think Avril, Michelle, and Vanessa, all of them still has it. But Avril aside, I don't see any of them peaking back into commercial conscience anymore.

I hope you didn't miss Loud Music, though. I'd agree with you about Michelle after a couple of lackluster non-hits in This Way and Sooner Or Later (and a lackluster EP to go with it), but Loud Music is pretty strong. Cool guitar scratches in the verses, unexpected melodic twist, and just one point away from being one of her best tunes because for such a title, I would expect a chorus that smacks me in the head.

Yes, it's the drama that I saw in Zola. Also, her singing technique reminds me a lot of Florence; her tendency to sing in mid-register with nose-y resonance.

Now, Trent Reznor. I still don't understand why he decided to do all these post-ambient thing. I think Year Zero is his last output that I can call myself a fan of. I had a rough start with Trent Reznor, though. My first album of anything Trent-related was With Teeth, which I bought because I love the cover for no apparent reason:

nin_with_teeth.jpg

Of course, I have heard all sort of stuff about them before. This is sort of an industrial-influenced music, expect some really ugly instruments and such. Then Track 2 (You Know What You Are) came and it was a total assault on the ear. Well, at least that prepared my ear for more difficult industrial outfits like Ministry and Einsturzende Neubauten.

Still not a big industrial fan, though.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.