Male HQ

Indie / Underground Pop / Alternative Music Fans?

IkuTube

This thread needs more M83.

New album, amazing. Period.

Also, nobody talks about Alanis without mentioning Tori Amos!

It's kinda disgusting to see that 10 + years later, that genre's shrunk by so much and replaced by... you know what.

Even Sarah Mclachlan barely registers nowadays (she's mahn-streem but screw that).

Did anyone hear of Zola Jesus though? The album's good stuff, but don't get your panties into a wad- can get quite emotional.

Oh wow, Zola Jesus is just what I'm looking for! Thanks for the introduction (:

Everyone has opinions but whether they are justifiable is another issue.

And there're plenty of good grrrl groups in recent years. My fave is probably Dum Dum Girls, all killer looks and killer hooks.

Nice simple pop music. Reminds me of Allo Darlin:

Let's get unconscious baby.

Just about the one and only Madonna song that qualifies for this thread. LOL

Sounds Bjorkish, which is appropriate, since Bjork wrote it.

Thanks for sharing. =)

Never heard of this band before, and information about them are hard to come by online. Probably an unsigned band?

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

I love V V Brown! It's even fun to type her name!

I was wasting money at H&M and heard her cover This Charming Man. Hardcore fans of The Smiths will hate it, but I thought it was cute in the Nouvelle Vague kind of way but better.

V V Brown's first single back in 2009 - Shark In The Water.

My bet is this girl is going to go places.

Edited by Mercutio

Mercurio sacris fertur Boebeidos Undis

virgineum Brimo composuisse latus

i <3 Janelle Monae's Cold War but after hearing it, I always wanna listen to Tricky's Black Steel which is far more satisfying.

Yay!! Tricky!! Black Steel is one of the best tracks ever! Black Steel together with Sneaker Pimps' Six Underground and the entire of Portishead's Dummy album made Trip-Hop for me. Pity the genre didn't last more than a few years, even shorter-lived than Acid Jazz.

Sneaker Pimps: 6 Underground

Live session by Portishead, performing Roads from the Dummy album. Chose a live session because they sound so fxxking unreal that one thinks "screw this sound-engineered shite though it's fxxking A"! (Pardon the French: you can take the boy out of London, but ...) Then you watch them live and when it's ended, you're wondering who stepped on your jaw.

Ok ok I have had too much sugar. I admit.

Edited by Mercutio

Live session by Portishead, performing Roads from the Dummy album. Chose a live session because they sound so fxxking unreal that one thinks "screw this sound-engineered shite though it's fxxking A"! (Pardon the French: you can take the boy out of London, but ...) Then you watch them live and when it's ended, you're wondering who stepped on your jaw.

Ok ok I have had too much sugar. I admit.

Wow. Derryfawne introduced this song some time back. The live version brought a visual impact to the song. After looking at the pained expression on Beth Gibbon's face while she's singing...Wow. Thanks for sharing. Wish I present at the performance.

This is Goldfrapp's remix of Lady Gaga's Judas.

You can't tell it's Lady Gaga anymore after the mix.

Edited by glowingember

After all, tomorrow is another day. ~ S O'Hara

Wow. Derryfawne introduced this song some time back. The live version brought a visual impact to the song. After looking at the pained expression on Beth Gibbon's face while she's singing...Wow. Thanks for sharing. Wish I present at the performance.

This is Goldfrapp's remix of Lady Gaga's Judas.

You can't tell it's Lady Gaga anymore after the mix.

The video Mercurio posted is my most favorite live performance from Portishead also, which I think is taken from Roseland NYC; most of the performances from that Roseland NYC concert is really great.

And yeah, the remix sounds different. Interesting.

Yay!! Tricky!! Black Steel is one of the best tracks ever! Black Steel together with Sneaker Pimps' Six Underground and the entire of Portishead's Dummy album made Trip-Hop for me. Pity the genre didn't last more than a few years, even shorter-lived than Acid Jazz.

No room for Massive Attack?

They're my second favorite (right after Portishead). I think they're also the first to do trip-hop with Blue Lines. Mezzanine and the underrated 100th Window are really good too. 100th Window must be listened with headphone, the richness of the sonic texture is unbelievably beautiful. Featuring Sinead O'Connor on the vocal, here's a sample:

I think Dummy is definitely Portishead's best, although they did one-up their game in the creepiness department with their second album. Half Day Closing is probably their most experimental song to date, with distorted Gibbons vocal and howling wind in the atmosphere, makes for a difficult listen but goosebumps-raising if you dig pass through the complex experimentation. Not a big fan of their third album, though.

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

By the way, music critics have begun to publish their year-end lists. AcclaimedMusic, a site that develops an algorithm to measure the critical consensus has the Top 10 Albums of 2011 as followed:

1. PJ Harvey, Let England Shake
  2. Bon Iver, Bon Iver
  3. James Blake, James Blake
  4. Fleet Foxes, Helplessness Blues
  5. Tom Waits, Bad as Me
  6. Kurt Vile, Smoke Ring for my Halo
  7. Metronomy, The English Riviera
  8. Radiohead, The King of Limbs
  9. Adele, 21
  10. St. Vincent, Strange Mercy

And the Top 10 Songs of 2011:

1. M83, Midnight City
  2. Lana Del Rey, Video Games
  3. Adele, Rolling in the Deep
  4. Foster the People, Pumped Up Kicks
  5. Tyler The Creator, Yonkers
  6. Fleet Foxes, Helplessness Blues
  7. Radiohead, Lotus Flower
  8. The Strokes, Under Cover Of Darkness
  9. Destroyer, Kaputt
  10. Real Estate, It's Real

Glad to see PJ Harvey soars to the top, which is definitely my favorite alternative album of the year.

(My Top 2 album of the year, though, comes from the mainstream pop scene: Avril [obviously! me being an Avril fanboy and all] and followed by surprise surprise a fierce dance record from Britney.)

Massive Attack somehow failed to strike a chord with me: I found their monophonic drone repetitive rather than hypnotic, and was very bored when they were at Zouk. Their collaboration with Tracey Thorn, "Protection" does rank 4th for me though in the Mercutio Jive Bunny Trip-Hop Hall of Fame :P

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Epgo8ixX6Wo

Yeah the Portishead performance is part of Roseland NYC. I like Third better than the eponymous second album, which for me just had too much pain. Machine Gun, from Third, is a technical marvel.

They who sound like a Starbucks order, Goldfrapp, have some pretty interesting covers, from the very good to the "huh? What are they dooooing make them stoooooop".

I'll post links once I'm home.

Try listening to this in the middle of the night with the lights off. Terribly authentic.

That's Imma Sumac! Quite a legendary soprano. Had she belonged to a later era, she would have fallen under world music, i think, although her work's extremely experimental.

Goldfrapp cover of "It's Not Over". Contrary to the video title, the original was not by the Klaxons, who also did a cover, but by Grace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8mjgTD13fE

Cover by the Klaxons (ex-Chumbawamba; the lead's married to Lovefoxxx of CSS).

Original by Grace (not alternative, I know, I know, but just for the comparison)

Machine Gun, from Third, is a technical marvel.

This. Third grew on me after a while, but Machine Gun was instant wow. I wonder why they didn't bother with a SACD/DVD-A release though... 5.1 (even a remaster) could be all sorts of crazy.

By the way, music critics have begun to publish their year-end lists. AcclaimedMusic, a site that develops an algorithm to measure the critical consensus has the Top 10 Albums of 2011 as followed:

1. PJ Harvey, Let England Shake
  2. Bon Iver, Bon Iver
  3. James Blake, James Blake
  4. Fleet Foxes, Helplessness Blues
  5. Tom Waits, Bad as Me
  6. Kurt Vile, Smoke Ring for my Halo
  7. Metronomy, The English Riviera
  8. Radiohead, The King of Limbs
  9. Adele, 21
  10. St. Vincent, Strange Mercy

Glad to see PJ Harvey soars to the top, which is definitely my favorite alternative album of the year.

(My Top 2 album of the year, though, comes from the mainstream pop scene: Avril [obviously! me being an Avril fanboy and all] and followed by surprise surprise a fierce dance record from Britney.)

James Blake's eponymous was definitely the killer LP of 11- and that's taking into account the rather weak second half.

The way he carves space and tension from very sparse elements shows that he's really got an ear for the uncanny.

Bon Iver is good, but it's no For Emma. I feel guilty for liking Beth/Rest so much though.

Same goes for King of Limbs. Ended up liking the remix album more (very very sick remixes of Lotus Flower and Seperator!). But ultimately King of Limbs just feels very hollow, almost as if it were a product of the band loathing being taken by its fanbase just too seriously.

Hurrah to PJ Harvey and Kurt Vile, really nice spins.

Surprises of the year?

Watch The Throne (not a trainwreck! lost my bet :() and SBTRKT (collabs with Sampha worked brilliant).

And M83 having a horrible, near-spastic double album arrangement despite having very, very strong tracks.

Edited by schmuckisms

Was going to sleep but started humming Hercules & Love Affair. Andy Butler's second effort under the H&LA project has shed the rich nu disco sounds of Blind, Hercules's Theme and You Belong, to embrace '80s style Chicago house (think Ralph Rosario and Frankie Knuckles). It doesn't appeal to me altogether: I feel it kinda lacks the funk factor, but I do like one slow number, a cover of Alright by Sterling Void and Paris Brightledge (sp.?), which kinda like It's Not Over, is better known because of an intermediate incarnation by the Pet Shop Boys.

From the first album, I prefer the more kooky Hercules's Theme over Blind, although Blind was the track that got me hooked on H&LA in the first place. Theme just has that feel good element with vocals supporting rather than being showcased by the deeply textured arrangement. Watch for the butch just creamin' her Y-fronts for the sensuous Nomi Ruiz, and that bizarro black dude who's only role in the whole matter seems to be to vogue.

That's Imma Sumac! Quite a legendary soprano. Had she belonged to a later era, she would have fallen under world music, i think, although her work's extremely experimental.

Judging based on her deep vocal tone and her ease at the lower register, I think Yma Sumac is a natural contralto/alto with a very well-trained upper register, just like Mariah Carey. And yeah, I think Yma Sumac is more world music than pop/rock. I am yet to hear any alternative musician to creatively make use of whistle register into their songs. It's either pop musicians (Mariah, Shanice, Debelah) or the more soul-influenced ones like Minnie Riperton (you might have heard her ubiquitous hit

, although she has much better songs) or Betty Wright (featured below):

I forgot the title of my favorite Yma Sumac song, but I really like her 1954 Mambo! album. She imitates animal sounds very well:

James Blake's eponymous was definitely the killer LP of 11- and that's taking into account the rather weak second half.

2011 is not a very good year for alternative (although it's tremendous in the dance-pop scene), still I prefer this to 2010 though.

The AcclaimedMusic list is not final yet, btw.

Judging based on her deep vocal tone and her ease at the lower register, I think Yma Sumac is a natural contralto/alto with a very well-trained upper register, just like Mariah Carey.

That's probably true: it's easier to train upper than to go down, for simple reason of physics. I went to watch some interviews she had done and her speaking voice is that of a contralto/alto. Well-spotted! Yma Sumac could apparently do at least 4½ octaves (in one interview she claimed 5, which is Mariah's range) and also overtone singing, which is a difficult technique used in some traditional ethnic music so as to sing two notes simultaneously: the melody line and then a low droning subharmonic a fifth above the fundamental.

I agree 2011 is not a vintage year for music. For dance, really? I haven't been keeping up with my podcasts.

And Leona Lewis recently covered Hurt.

Not as good as the original Nine Inch Nails or Johnny Cash's epitaph cover, of course. But God knows when a good singer is given a good song, it can work to good effect; I don't really like Leona myself (save for a few songs), but I like those chilling low notes she use for her rendition of Hurt.

Talking of which, Leona might be a closeted alternative fan. Her most recent EP features covers of Goo Goo Dolls, Counting Crows, and the aforementioned Nine Inch Nails. She's also done Oasis on her previous album. Her producers really need to shape her into something other than a pale shadow of Mariah Carey circa early 1990s.

For dance, really? I haven't been keeping up with my podcasts.

Yes. Even critics from the likes of Rolling Stone (catered to classic rock purists) and Pitchfork (catered to pretentious alternative elitists) cannot help but to include Britney, Rihanna, Gaga, Drake, and Nicki Minaj on their end-year album/single lists.

Yes. Even critics from the likes of Rolling Stone (catered to classic rock purists) and Pitchfork (catered to pretentious alternative elitists) cannot help but to include Britney, Rihanna, Gaga, Drake, and Nicki Minaj on their end-year album/single lists.

Lol ok not me kind of dance. Different dance. These more Highland Fling; me thinking Pavane. Pavane no album one.

Edited by Mercutio

Not too sure if anyone had bring up this unique band called tUnE-yArDs. I have a very M.I.A.-like reaction to their music; loathed the overall truckload of messy influence they dump together into the pot, then it somehow made an intriguing sense upon a few listens, intriguing enough to provoke a few more listens and all of a sudden I catch myself admiring their originality.

Not too sure if anyone had bring up this unique band called tUnE-yArDs. I have a very M.I.A.-like reaction to their music; loathed the overall truckload of messy influence they dump together into the pot, then it somehow made an intriguing sense upon a few listens, intriguing enough to provoke a few more listens and all of a sudden I catch myself admiring their originality.

Haven't heard of them before - I quite like this track but it's missing a certain je ne c'est pas. It's ... it's ... like white guys rapping. They have the talent but not the depth to express: middle America trying to be inner city ghetto. Where are they from? Don't sound British. US or French is my guess.

Guest theOthertruth
Haven't heard of them before - I quite like this track but it's missing a certain je ne c'est pas. It's ... it's ... like white guys rapping. They have the talent but not the depth to express: middle America trying to be inner city ghetto. Where are they from? Don't sound British. US or French is my guess.

Sounds like a kooky, angsty hippie lady who had one too many raw eggs down her throat singing about "Bizness". FYI they are British.

The lack of respect is infuriating.

She is one with nature I swear.

And of cos there's Feist and M83 at Laneway.
I'm going Laneway. The lineup is TERRIFIC this year. Especially excited for the pains and the cults. Meanwhile, I'm a little let down by the Mosaic schedule. Too stale for me.

I know. This year's line-up is much more appealing (Cults & M83 OMG!!!). I'm saving up for the tickets and skipping Kasabian and Foster The People .. I skipped Zoukout this year too.

Boooooooo no fair; last year there were Foals and !!! if I remember, (Holy fxxk too?) Almost went but didn't want to go alone.

Anyway, Antlers' LP is effing amazing. A bit sad that I'm a post-hype listener, but honestly I haven't been keeping up for the second half of the year.

Doesn't make it less great though.

If by alternative you mean indie then I suggest gorillavsbear.net

They constantly update you with current alternative music.

Thanks for the link.

Indie is definitely at the point of this thread's discussion too.

When I created this thread, it was because everyone else seems to be into the usual suspects (Gaga, Adele, etc). The gay community surely can have more eclectic taste than that. 'Alternative' here is basically just whatever else that is not mainstream or produced for mass consumption; it's the equivalent of finely-brewed French coffee in contrast to the generic taste offered by Nescafe or Starbucks.

Edited by derryfawne

Old remix of an old KoC track. Haven't thought about it in ages and it popped into my head.

"I Don't Know What I Can Save You From" (Röyksopp remix)

Kings of Convenience

And another by Röyksopp themselves, who did the above remix, this time remixed by "someone else" (actually themselves) ... The video is done using infographics and was developed by a French production house (the name will come to me...).

"Remind Me" (Somebody Else's remix)

Röyksopp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eo4u4JJAPGk

And a third, also from Röyksopp but featuring the haunting vocals of Karin Anderssøn, the lead from yet another Icelandic electronic act, The Knife. This is the original track although I usually prefer to listen to the remix by DJ Trentmøller. It's also one of my favourite videos, by one of my favourite video directors Martin de Thurah.

There must be something about Scandinavia's long winters, bleak landscapes, über-liberal societies and of course fermented herring that breeds so many kooky and often great musicians: Röyksopp, Sigur Rós, Björk, Robyn, Ace of Bass, Abba, The Knife, Peter Bjørn & John, The Cardigans, Army of Lovers, Kings of Convenience, A-Ha, Roxette, The Sugarcubes...

Edited by Mercutio

@derry thanks for sharing Leona's cover. Didn't know about that. I've been a fan from the start, just waiting for her to release something epic. Speaking of covers, I think her cover of Run by Snow Patrol was really good. Also, huge fan of Bowie and Janelle Monae here too ;)

Here's some feel-good indie spirit for the holidays:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQOlXvN_EoI

Here's some feel-good indie spirit for the holidays:

Still trying to understand Lykke Li's appeal. Maybe I'm just oversaturated with indie music and wants something more poppy these days.

Latest Lana Del Rey - Born to die. Yayyyy!!!! Lana.

I'm not a fan of Lana Del Rey, so I don't listen to her songs that often (not even 'Video Games'; which I have listened to less than 10 times so far), but even then I have to admit that she's gifted. As little as I listen to her, I can hum the melodies to her songs pretty easily. Her melodies are not immediate, but it's there inside your head.

Wait until she releases her debut album. The critics are going to love it.

Her deep voice in Born to Die reminds me of Aimee Mann a lot.

Edited by derryfawne

@derry thanks for sharing Leona's cover. Didn't know about that. I've been a fan from the start, just waiting for her to release something epic. Speaking of covers, I think her cover of Run by Snow Patrol was really good. Also, huge fan of Bowie and Janelle Monae here too ;) Here's some feel-good indie spirit for the holidays

Yeah, I was quite impressed by Leona's cover of Run. Although arrangement-wise it's not much different from the original, somehow her vocals did manage to convey a new interpretation, at the very least from a woman's perspective if nothing else.

I liked Dance, Dance, Dance ... but never got much beyond that. Something a bit the missing...

Having said, I do like her collaboration with Santigold (ex Santogold), Kanye West and N.A.S.A....

Edited by Mercutio

Does anyone listen to David Bowie?

Bowie is a legend! The Thin White Duke himself, he of the fake eyeball...

Space Oddity is among the best, but I'd also include the following:

Life On Mars (when I'm depressed)

The freaking classic Ziggy Stardust

And of course, UNDER PRESSURE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! with Her Royal Highness Freddie Mercury!

And UNDER PRESSURE!!!!!!!! with Her Royal Highness Annie Lennox!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9ICO-RfjAU

(If anyone mentions Vanilla Ice now, be ready to be slapped.)

Edited by Mercutio

Someone asked me why I don't like Sarah McLachlan.

Way before Sarah McLachlan, Tori Amos, Jewel, Aimee Mann, Paula Cole, Mary Chapin Carpenter, Lisa Loeb, Fiona Apple, Alanis Morissette, Sophie B. Hawkins, Corinne Bailey Rae, Joan Osborne, Meredith Brooks, Tasmin Archer, Shawn Colvin, Tanita Tikaram, Tracy Chapman, Sheryl Crow, KT Tunstall, Anna Nalick, Nelly Furtado, Katy Perry, Beth Orton, Alison Krauss and Liz Phair .... there was Suzanne Vega.

Edited by Mercutio

For years, I've been missing her concerts by being in the wrong country by a week or three. She's made it up though, by autographing a copy of her album personally to me, hee.

photo-7.jpg

Anyway, the tracks she's best known for, although far from her best tracks:

Luka

I was in France and this song was played over the radio, after which the stupid frog of a DJ explained that it was a song about a jilted lover....

Tom's Diner

This is the DNA Remix - the original in the album Solitude Standing is actually two tracks - one acapella (sampled here) and one purely instrumental.

Edited by Mercutio

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.