Male HQ

Indie / Underground Pop / Alternative Music Fans?

IkuTube

I thought her Singapore concert is on this upcoming January.

I agree that Luka is hardly among her best work. It sounds pretty dated to me, and escaped the time machine only because Suzanne knows how to write timeless melodies that ring in your ears.

Her best album is probably her debut (with highlights like Marlene on the Wall and Small Blue Thing), although I much prefer the experimental 99.9F. Yet, the best song from that experimental album is the one that is least experimental lol:

Many Lillith Fair-styled singer-songwriters have passed their prime after the 1990s, but I think Suzanne Vega still has it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCjnuA3ozfM

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

Weird, I was just listening to

Imogen Heap...she's quite quirky.

Weird, I was just listening to Imogen Heap for the whole afternoon.

Speak for Yourself is her best album so far, but i Megaphone is really good too.

Crazy fun music of Scissors Sister.

One of their earlier songs...filthy/gorgeous.

Anyone going to their concert in Singapore?

I like them too! But I don't think I'm going to their concert, not that big a fan.

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

We're entering MOR territory here, but I really love this duet (not too sure if I shared this before).

I'm not a big fan of either artist (though I really really like The Police). Their music is relatively safe, but they are gifted songwriters and vocalists. Man, it's amazing how Sting can blow his pipe despite of his age.

And Sheryl Crow, she's not a show-off but her voice is very pleasant to listen to. It's a shame that she has to be signed as a soft-rock artist. I think her voice is destined to sing the blues, or at least, straightforward melodic rock songs like the one below:

Latest Lana Del Rey - Born to die. Yayyyy!!!! Lana.

Omg omg omg, Lana Del Ray, I Loveee her !

She's so amazing, I am hypnotized by her. This song really grows on you. I cant stop hitting the replay button.

And the song actually quite sad...,she sounds like the better version of bjork with meaning. Loving her creative videos.

PS: Does anyone realize her name Spell "anal" backwards ?

"don't make me sad, don't make me cry,

Sometimes love is not enough and the road gets tough,

I don't know why,

keeping me laugh,

lets go get high"

PS: Does anyone realize her name Spell "anal" backwards ?

LOL, naughty.

Anyway, I still prefer Bjork; and I think they sound different. Lana's voice is deep and low, Bjork's is ferocious and full of lioness growls.

hmm anyone into the great rolling stones? i just love them!

YES. I think Gimme Shelter is their best song.

And I love Sympathy for the Devil too, of course.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia1UjNBK_3Y

LOL, naughty.

Anyway, I still prefer Bjork; and I think they sound different. Lana's voice is deep and low, Bjork's is ferocious and full of lioness growls.

YES. I think Gimme Shelter is their best song.

And I love Sympathy for the Devil too, of course.

my all time favourite is Satisfaction! haha.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_VbImuG71M

not to forget..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOODPHTlfXo&feature=relmfu

(:

\m/

Edited by vic_firth92

not to forget..

I haven't seen many classic rock fans around here. =)

I think Queen's best is Killer Queen (although Crazy Little Thing Called Love is impossibly catchy, that song I always sing whenever I go K).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAf2S6ij2gk

Speaking of epic anthems, aside from Bohemian Rhapsody, another ultra-famous one is Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven. I'm not posting the video 'coz I think we've all been overexposed to that song. But just a note, that song famously borrows its riff from Spirit's instrumental track called Taurus.

At first, I didn't like Mariah's version but in the end, I like it, especially the Def Club Mix of this song where Ms Mariah almost totally changed the melody of her original Fantasy.

Fun starts at 1:18

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HaqtULz6zE

but after a while...enough!

After all, tomorrow is another day. ~ S O'Hara

Rapper Drake is the hottest thing in the mainstream chart right now, but since even the indie publications openly embrace him, guess he qualifies for this thread. Besides, Drake's music is anything but conventional and generic. It's more James Blake than 50 Cents.

I'm digging Drake's Marvin's Room right now (yes, it's named after that Marvin — the soulful one, the Gaye one). We all know how our most vulnerable feelings can be exposed when alcohol gets on the best of us, and Drake taps into this.

Essentially, Marvin's Room takes us a peek into the emotion of a lonely man who drunk dials his former girlfriend to vent his frustrations. And Drake sings/raps/talks over downtempo electronic beats that sound as distant as what you could hear outside a nightclub, and piercing through all the nightclub noise and his own falling consciousness, all he could hear from her former girlfriend is "Are you drunk right now?"

Sit down, listen to this song, and digest the simple-yet-sincere lyrics. It's terrific.

Pop star JoJo also did an interesting version of this song from a female perspective. To where Drake's original lyric turns "I've had sex four times this week" into the lament of a lonely man, JoJo picks up with "I said fxxk that new girl that's been in your bed / And when you're in her I know I'm in your head" and "I'ma send sexy picture / To remind you what you've given up". Girl is fierce.

Edited by derryfawne

Man, it's amazing how Sting can blow his pipe despite of his age.
Sting hit on a girl friend of mine at some party - my friend was kinda tempted to "just see how it was like", considering Sting's supposed to practice tantric kundalini yoga or something, but Sting's wife kept flashing across her eyes so she chickened out.
For me, her vocals is like Stevie Nicks young all over again and uber-cool.
Fleetwood Mac is God. Not Clapton, sorry. Lol.
And then there's Nick Cave and PJ Harvey, haha.
Yeah I first heard of PJ Harvey via Nick Cave. Brilliant collaboration.
I haven't seen many classic rock fans around here. =) I think Queen's best is Killer Queen .
Yeah, I think that's their best track too. Loves it. That and "Don't Stop Me Now".

I'm a big collector of interesting covers, so here's Dolly Parton doing "Stairway From Heaven" from Halos & Horns..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJHjQ81JtY0

Sorry been away and indisposed.

Mercurio sacris fertur Boebeidos Undis

virgineum Brimo composuisse latus

My second favourite....Cucurrucucu Paloma by Caetano Veloso.

Here's the English translation...lovely.

They say that at nights

all he could do was cry all the time

they say he won´t eat

all he could do was drink at all times

they swear that heaven itself

would tremble hearing his crying

He suffered so much for her

that even on his death he was calling her

ay, ay, ay, ay, ay, he cried

ay, ay ay ay ay, he sobbed

ay ay ay ay ay he sang

from a deadly passion, he died

That a sad sparrow

early in the morning goes to sing

at the lonely little house

with it´s liitle doors wide open

They swear that that sparrow

is nothing else than his soul

still waiting for her return

Cucucrrucucu, sparrow

cucucrrucucu, don´t cry

stones will never, sparrow

know anything about love

cucurrucucu, cucurrucucu

cucurrucucu, sparrow don´t cry

Song was also used in Happy Together...

Edited by glowingember

I'm a big collector of interesting covers, so here's Dolly Parton doing "Stairway From Heaven"

I like this version. More calming than Led Zeppelin's...maybe there's this supposedly Satanic link (according to the Overzealous).

Dolly's voice is quite shrill though.

Going back a few decades...here's Nancy Sinatra and Bang Bang.

Glad you're back.

Edited by glowingember

I like this version. More calming than Led Zeppelin's...maybe there's this supposedly Satanic link (according to the Overzealous). Dolly's voice is quite shrill though. Going back a few decades...here's Nancy Sinatra and Bang Bang.

Bang Bang was on the soundtrack of Kill Bill, wasn't it? Tarantino has a knack of dredging up obscure golden oldies and making them hits again via his movies. He did it with Dusty Springfield's Son of a Preacher Man (Pulp Fiction), Stuck In the Middle with You (Reservoir Dogs) and of course the bizarre Twisted Nerve by Bernie Herrman, when Elle Driver a.k.a. California Mountain Snake arrives at the hospital to administer the coup de grace on the comatose Bride a.k.a. Black Mamba (yes, I've watched this movie waaaaay too many times).

Kill Bill Volume 1 is one of my all-time favourite movies and soundtrack.

You're right. Tarantino not only gives past music a second life, he does the same with forgotten actors/actresses. He'd be superb as a music video director.

Here's Battle without honour or humanity by Hotei. Cottonmouth's entrance is breathtaking.

For want of anywhere else to put this: some shameless plugging on behalf of friends :P

The actual MTV is below ... it was shot in a gay club called Happy, which after a change in owners is now called Play....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz6I8f2gD2E

Edited by Mercutio

I caught the scissors sisters when I was in a different city. It was great to see Jake Spears's bare filthy/gorgeous butt ;)

My fave Kylie written with Jake Spears. Here's the ballad version, great video too, very 60s feel.

And while we're on Lou Reed, this is a great take on one of the greatest songs ever by one of my favorite drummers - Moe Tucker. I love her drumming as much as Georgia Hubley's of YLT.

I usually dislike Ani DiFranco because she's like Tori Amos with all the pretentious propaganda lyrics but without the good melodies to back them up. But there are some honestly good moments from her that I enjoy, and this is one of them:

It's a personal song, of Ani and someone she likes, effective and powerful with simple words. I like to hear this song while imagining the scene as described on the lyrics, sound like something from a good sad romance movie.

Edited by derryfawne

Sting and Sugarbabes

I find Sugarbabes deliciously poppish but their version of Shape of your heart makes me see them in a different light.

This is Shape.

I didn't know Kylie had the 60s version and video of I Believe in You. Thanks Teeshirt.

Edited by glowingember

I understand that Grammy is usually regarded as irrelevant.

But from the old farts' spectacles, here are the contenders for the Best Alternative Music Album of the year:

• Bon Iver – Bon Iver
  • Codes and Keys – Death Cab for Cutie
  • Torches – Foster the People
  • Circuital – My Morning Jacket
  • The King of Limbs – Radiohead

Very boring and predictable list. I'm a big Radiohead fan, but even then, I don't think The King of Limbs belong there.

I think Bon Iver will snatch the award.

wooo i wonder if anyone knows and likes suzanne vega? because it seems that i am the only one who liked her in my circle of friends lol. and i missed her concert D=

Hi Tynamo - you're not alone. Mercutio and Derryfawne like her too.

I don't know much about her songs except the hits like Tom' Diner and Luka.

But these 2 are quite special to me.

Left of centre

Caramel

omg thats awesome! i love those 2 songs too! and i like the queen and the soldier and marlene on te wall too! i just bought my sis her re-recorded album! she has 3 albums lol. and i just heard one of her new song call harper lee! but it doesnt have a clear version

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.