Male HQ

Indie / Underground Pop / Alternative Music Fans?

IkuTube

• 2 weeks later...

Have been listening to Kate Bush for years but recently checked out her videos.

Hauntingly beautiful. And feels current.

Army Dreamers...although the vids are very 80s, there's a lot to think about when one looks at her videos.

and Babooshka...ain't she sexy?

After all, tomorrow is another day. ~ S O'Hara

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I like Luomo's Vocalcity too! Listening to it now, Tessio sounds as slinky as it was first heard fifteen years ago. 

There have been some really good albums by Singaporean groups in the last few years. I love Hanging Up The Moon, 

Just picked up Phew's A New World. Gonna file it under Difficult Listening. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Another gem from Donna Missal.

She's like the vocal of Lana Del Rey and the music arrangement of a rockish Portishead. Maybe it's still early to tell.

Arghhhh luv luv luv. Just found another of her songs, but it's not in iTune!

Edited by glowingember

After all, tomorrow is another day. ~ S O'Hara

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

anyone looking to go laneway 2018? the line-up looks cum-inducing. http://www.apactix.com/events/detail/laneway-festival-2018

Aldous Harding - Amy Shark - Anderson .Paak & The Free Nationals - Billie Eilish - Bonobo - Father John Misty - Loyle Carner - Mac DeMarco - Moses Sumney - Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever - Slowdive - Sylvan Esso - The Internet - The War On Drugs - Wolf Alice

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ooooooh it's so good to see this thread is still alive and kicking after 7 years.

I have since become more of a poptimist myself and no longer see the need to be a snobbish elitist. I like my Britney Spears just as much as I like my Bjork.

Meanwhile, I have been re-listening to Sarah Mclachlan lately, especially circa Afterglow era.

Fallen is such a beautiful and painful song.

And then there is Dirty Little Secret, probably among her finest but I can't find a YouTube link.

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

• 1 month later...
17 hours ago, glowingember said:

Anyone into Frank Ocean's music?

I find this track sensual and seductive...even the guitar seems to be singing. (Self Control)

And some collaboration on Novacane

I think he was going well until Kendrick lamaar and drake came to the forefront. But yeah frank’s first two albums were very nice. I loved its smoothness. 

Anyone noticed the slow, gradual merging of alternative and pop values into the current alt-pop scene?

It started around 2011 when Adele opened the door for the likes of Lorde, Gotye, Foster the People, The Lumineers, Of Monsters & Men, Imagine Dragons, etc. to chart success. These artists are essentially still alt artists, just with a tiny bit more success than your average Pitchfork stars (well, except arguably for Adele which is really more of a singer-songwriter type; but hey if we consider Suzanne Vega closer to Kate Bush than Madonna, then I guess Adele counts too).

And then came the likes of Lana Del Rey, Marina & the Diamonds, Azealia Banks, Charli XCX, Sky Ferreira, which were first embraced by the alt community, but this time they openly experiment and infuse pop sounds into their alt framework. (Not to mention openly embrace larger-than-life visuals into their persona which is straight from classic Madonna textbook; we could even argue Lady Gaga is part of this wave, as we can now evidently see she's really a rock star/singer-songstress in pop diva costume, just that her phenomenal success makes it difficult for us to claim her as alt in any way.)

And by the time we get to Dua Lipa, the boundary has been 100% blurred. And I'm loving this full-on alt-pop convergence.

"Be The One" is effortlessly exuberant electro-synth which tastefully borrows elements of early 2000s dance music with big choruses that are unashamedly catchy and pop.

"Hotter Than Hell" comes with even bigger, anthemic choruses and is arguably even better.... with classic Millenial lyricism ("Can you feel the warmth as my kiss goes down you like some sweet alcohol?") paired with irresistible club beats, perfectly capturing the essence of the modern generation while remaining intriguing instead of coming across as try-hard or crass. A coulda-been future classic for Generation 2010s?

But if you think Dua Lipa is all about PARTY BANGERZ, no... not really. Listen to her smoky contralto channeling her inner Amy Winehouse in "I Can't Stop Thinking About You".

And a little bit Tori Amos-ism with sultry beats sans piano ("In the beginning, God created Heaven and Earth / For what it's worth, I think that he might've created you first") in "Genesis". Makes you wonder what Tori Amos would have sounded if she had chosen to chase those "Raspberry Swirl" and "Professional Widow" remix hits instead of resuming her confessional sound.

Edited by derryfawne

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

Allie X is pretty much like an indier E.MO.TION-era Carly Rae Jepsen.

Glossy 1980s synthpop modernized for the 2010s and polished to perfection.

That's So Us is THE BOP.

Vintage sounds like it could be Madonna's "Holiday" with lots of cosmic bleeps. Brilliant, brilliant stuff.

Edited by derryfawne

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.