Male HQ

Indie / Underground Pop / Alternative Music Fans?

IkuTube

Since I mentioned about Vanessa Carlton just recently, just gotta say that I've listened to her newest album. Not my favorite album of the year, but it does contain some strong gems. London is my instant favorite.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvRXDB1ITIw

And I have a soft spot for White Houses, especially that middle-8 part when she goes: "My first time, hard to explain, rush of blood and a little bit of pain..... he's my first mistake." Imagine someone giving up her his virginity, so sweetly and innocently like the bouncy melody of the song suggests.

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

Metacritic has a new feature called 'Music Monday'. The first entry can be viewed here: http://www.metacritic.com/feature/music-news-for-the-week-of-july-25

It brought some very exciting news, including the leaked new tracks of Red Hot Chilli Peppers and St. Vincent (both really good, must hear!), news about an upcoming release from Feist, and that Bjork's brand new video (Crystalline) will be released on Tuesday (today!).

“Do not take life too seriously. You’ll never get out of it alive.” — Elbert Hubbard

Just heard Crystalline. Thought of giving up on Bjork already but her latest seems promising.

Ok here's another song I like...

Don't think it's alternative...but I don't know what genre is this.

This is Mirah and The Garden.

After all, tomorrow is another day. ~ S O'Hara

Crystalline!

(tks for the update, derry)

Thanks for posting the video too.

I like it, and the video definitely helps me to grasp the rhythm of the song better.

I like Kate Bush's album, Director's Cut. Some people think this album of remakes of her own songs is unnecessary. But it's nice to hear her singing updated renditions of her older songs.

While I like Director's Cut and its interesting new angle, I do think that it is unnecessary.

But that's only because Kate Bush's back catalog has never been any less than stellar (with possible exception for The Red Shoes), and Director's Cut is probably just a momentary glimpse of genius, but it won't go down the history as a landmark release.

Crystalline!

(tks for the update, derry)

Crystalline

Internal Nebula

(crystalline)

Rocks growing slowmo

(crystalline)

I conquer claustrophobia

(crystalline)

And demand the light....

This is definitely my fave track from Bjork since forever!!! In fact, I'm categorizing it as one of the most brilliant tracks I've heard so far this year!!

Only to lie like this between the bombs, dreaming away and not alone, because time was very short.

This is Sean Lennon (with Rufus Wainwright and Robert Schwartzman) paying a tribute to his legendary father John Lennon. Don't you find him simply dishy??? He's the one in the middle with the beautiful Japanese, Irish and English good looks. Later he does a guitar solo of the Beatles' Julia.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3YOUTi9Xa8&feature=related

I fell in love with him since his debut solo album called Into The Sun. Here's the title track. ENJOY!!!

Only to lie like this between the bombs, dreaming away and not alone, because time was very short.

Then there's his mum... Yoko Ono.

I kinda like this song...and this...

OH YES! OH YES! Who can leave out the great Yoko Ono herself?? Have you heard of Walking On Thin Ice??? Amazing song considering it was released in 1981!!! Ahead of her time I tell ya!!! Of course, the remixed versions kick-ass just as well.

While we're still talking about something related to Lennon, why not discuss just a 'lil bit on the so-called greatest band of all-time?

Who is your favorite Beatle and why? I love Paul and his strong melodic sensibilities, he crafted some of the most beautiful hooks I've ever heard. He may be more commercially oriented than the confessional John Lennon, but his songwriting is a real killer. Incidentally, he's also the cutest of the four. :)

Which Beatle album do you think is their best? Abbey Road. The album hits some real good nerves on my body, especially with Something and Oh Darling, which are probably on my Top 10 favorite Beatles. The album is a clean sweep of brilliance from start to end, I even dig the two joke songs (Maxwell's Silver Hammer and who-knew-Ringo-had-it-in-the-bag Octopus's Garden).

That aside, I have to note that Revolver provides some real competition. The album is a house of the band's best songs, now if only it's not marred by the mediocrity of I'm Only Sleeping and Love You To. (PS. I don't fully dig the psychedelic Tomorrow Never Knows too, but at least that one has tremendous historical importance.)

What is your favorite song from a solo Beatle? John Lennon may own the most important solo career, George Harrison may have a landmark record in All Things Must Pass, but the true winner is Paul McCartney's Maybe I'm Amazed:

If there was ever a song to threaten the epicness of Hey Jude, this is it.

OH YES! OH YES! Who can leave out the great Yoko Ono herself?? Have you heard of Walking On Thin Ice??? Amazing song considering it was released in 1981!!! Ahead of her time I tell ya!!! Of course, the remixed versions kick-ass just as well.

Yup. Love the song and the video...somehow, her singing and style in the 2007 cd reminds me a lot of Bjork.

Also saw on youtube Lady Gaga singing Yoko's songs with her on stage. Wow.

Who is your favorite Beatle and why?

For me...it's John Lennon. McCartney's songs are catchy but somehow in comparison to Lennon's, they pale in terms of sophistication. Still like both their work but somehow Lennon's songs seems more enduring.

Which Beatle album do you think is their best?

I like Sgt Peppers. It's very experimental and has many fantastic tracks like ...With a little help, 64 and my fave 'A day in the life'.

What is your favorite song from a solo Beatle?

It has to be Just Like Starting Over. So many different melodies...and wild abandonment.

Yup. Love the song and the video...somehow, her singing and style in the 2007 cd reminds me a lot of Bjork.

Also saw on youtube Lady Gaga singing Yoko's songs with her on stage. Wow.

Can post the video pleeeeeeeze!!! Would love to see it!!! Thanks :)

While we're still talking about something related to Lennon, why not discuss just a 'lil bit on the so-called greatest band of all-time?

Who is your favorite Beatle and why? I love Paul and his strong melodic sensibilities, he crafted some of the most beautiful hooks I've ever heard. He may be more commercially oriented than the confessional John Lennon, but his songwriting is a real killer. Incidentally, he's also the cutest of the four. :)

Which Beatle album do you think is their best? Abbey Road. The album hits some real good nerves on my body, especially with Something and Oh Darling, which are probably on my Top 10 favorite Beatles. The album is a clean sweep of brilliance from start to end, I even dig the two joke songs (Maxwell's Silver Hammer and who-knew-Ringo-had-it-in-the-bag Octopus's Garden).

That aside, I have to note that Revolver provides some real competition. The album is a house of the band's best songs, now if only it's not marred by the mediocrity of I'm Only Sleeping and Love You To. (PS. I don't fully dig the psychedelic Tomorrow Never Knows too, but at least that one has tremendous historical importance.)

What is your favorite song from a solo Beatle? John Lennon may own the most important solo career, George Harrison may have a landmark record in All Things Must Pass, but the true winner is Paul McCartney's Maybe I'm Amazed:

Ever heard of this Scottish/Brit veteran singer - Barbara Dickson? She was the one who did the duet " I know him so well" with Elaine Paige. She should be in her 60's now. And had sung 4 decades especially in musical and broadways. In her younger days she did teamed up with the Beatles personally for some production before.

4 decades in 2006, she did a Beatle albumn, as a tribute to their songs. Its was considered a big thumbs up by the critics and praised by the surviving Beatles.

The album is called - Nothing Gonna Change My World - a line taken from the Beatles' Across the Universe.

I have one copy myself and its 10/10 from me. Dickson's voice has evolved to a husky alto , and enriched with her singing experiences, gives their songs a very different dimension. An etheral feel of depth. Its like the songs were sung by someone who knows their meanings, after been through life's experiences.

I love her version of Fool on the Hill, Across the Universe (very spiritual depth) I'll be back, And that..Here, There and Everywhere...Nobody yet to post anyone of the songs from the albumn, except a short clip

And Dickson singing Eleanor Rigby - Live

I'm not really into The Beatles or Bjork's new songs but the intro to Biophilia by Sir David Attennbourgh and the whole thing of mashing music and tech sounds pretty cool.

But I've been traveling and almost always found myself playing Aki Tsuyuko to fall asleep to - the sounds of gamelan, drone, toy music, electronic, music box which could be the gentle side of the same music territories that Bjork wanders in.

And yes, Saint Etienne performed at the Mosaic Fest. I must say the whole experience of watching them live was so good that I had a personal revival lasting for months. I'm definitely a born-again Saint Etienne enthusiast :) Incidentally, when Sarah was asked what's her favorite song or perfect song, the first song in her head was Joy Division's Love will tear us apart. Hardly pop.

I was just surfing the net for Astreal's earlier stuff and found the Obs covering While my guitar gently weeps. I've forgotten how much I've listened to this some time ago. This is of cos a George Harrison.

http://www.youtube.com/user/noelyeo#p/u/17/IyXuXS1XRPU

As for Astreal, I kinda like their earlier songs more :)

http://www.youtube.com/user/noelyeo#p/u/70/P_FNQ2i6obE

But I've been traveling and almost always found myself playing Aki Tsuyuko to fall asleep to - the sounds of gamelan, drone, toy music, electronic, music box which could be the gentle side of the same music territories that Bjork wanders in.

I simply love this category of music!!!.....music to fall asleep to.....my recommendations?

Silent Poets To Come

Yo La Tengo Today Is The Day

A Portishead gem that SHOULD NOT be left out All Mine....

Also their Roseland NYC Live album....only one word to describe it....WOW!!!

Edited by Avecinfuser

Oh someone mentioned Tears For Fears. This my favorite :)

I really like this. Thanks for sharing, teeshirt.

And Baybeats is here again soon! A great chance to catch Cheating Sons. One of the most exciting local groups in a long while, at least for me.

http://www.baybeats.com/2011/index.html

You're right, good band. Didn't expect this from a local band.

A Portishead gem that SHOULD NOT be left out All Mine....

Yeah, too bad this is the only song of theirs with that big band jazz sound.

British bands are fun.

I adore Euryhtmics, especially Annie Lennox's live performances.

This video here has Annie Lennox as a shimmering rock vamp.

:) Waaaaooow!

Gay artist.

I like Chris Garneau.

Melody's almost like a lullaby but the lyrics are quite eerie.

Edited by glowingember

Alisha's Attic! Nice. Haven't heard about them for a while. Their songs kinda sound like Prince's but sweeter.

Live performances!

When I hear artists perform live, they add a new dimension when the performance is beyond expectation.

Here's Imogen Heap's Just for now...wow, she's a one-woman band.

This here is Cocorosie. They remade a dance song and turned it into a heartache...Wish I could see them perform live.

Edited by glowingember

Here's Imogen Heap's Just for now...wow, she's a one-woman band.

That's my most favorite live performance from her too! :)

It's quite similar to another favorite artist of mine, folk-rocker KT Tunstall, who also did a one-woman performance for her biggest hit:

I have the cd and I didn't even notice this song...

tks for mentioning this track. looks like i'll be listening to Dummy this afternoon. :)

You should. Dummy is totally the best album from 1994, and it's saying much because that was the year that saw Nine Inch Nails' The Downward Spiral, Blur's Parklife, Jeff Buckley's Grace, Oasis's Definitely Maybe, Green Day's Dookie, Beck's Mellow Gold, Tori Amos's Under The Pink, and many other great albums.

I'm not sure about Portishead now. Beth Gibbons sings with so much pains that I feel embarrassed for her. Haha. But I do remember those good old days listening to Portishead, Tricky and Massive Attack :)

On Yo La Tengo, I was very impressed by Georgia Hubley's drumming when they performed in Singapore. This is my favorite which must be one part YLT, one part Velvet Underground and one part Carpenters.

On queer artistes, here's the new Patrick Wolf who seems to get better with each new album.

I'm not sure about Portishead now. Beth Gibbons sings with so much pains that I feel embarrassed for her. Haha. But I do remember those good old days listening to Portishead, Tricky and Massive Attack :)

On Yo La Tengo, I was very impressed by Georgia Hubley's drumming when they performed in Singapore. This is my favorite which must be one part YLT, one part Velvet Underground and one part Carpenters.

On queer artistes, here's the new Patrick Wolf who seems to get better with each new album.

I am also currently totally into Patrick Wolf, The City is to me one of the most glorious tracks I've heard in some time. Yes, it really sounds very mainstream, but I'm into electro/dance lately.

Which also explains why my current favourite band is the Hurts.

Other songs that are stuck nowadays:

The Horrors - Still Life

Ed Sheeran - The A Team

The Pigeon Detectives - Done in Secret

Gay artistes that I listen to are like Marc Almond and of course Boy George, George Michael...although recently I haven't been really following them. Marc Almond was quite brilliant once and Boy George recently had a new album which I thought was quite the gem. Here's Marc Almond when he was with Soft Cell with the classic Tainted Love.

He had several solo albums after, enjoy the glam rock sounds of The Idol from his Fantastic Star album.

KT Turnstall- I've not heard of this version. It's fantastic.

Patrick Wolf - the melody and style remind me of an 80s brit band. Like it.

Here's Jason Mraz...though he's very mainstream now...I like this earlier song of his...Mr Curiosity...especially from 2:42 when he does his opera-tenor-almost-soprano singing.

OMG!!! How could I ever EVER leave her out!!?? Anybody into the amazing Beth Orton??? I'm a huge and ardent fan, an admirer of her voice and her talent. Think she has faded into obscurity. Here is the breathtaking Stars All Seem To Weep.

Also Central Reservation (Ben Watts Remix). ENJOY!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJo54BA7i3Q&feature=related

Beth Orton!!! I love Stars All Seem To Weep.

heard it from Madonna's The Next Best Thing Soundtrack (which I consider a very good soundtrack with some great non-mainstream artistes) and I tried her other stuff. But I couldn't get the same amazing feeling as Stars All Seem To Weep.

I just heard Yoko's own version of The Sun Is Down...it's pretty cool too.

Edited by glowingember

Just started my full-time job and realised how important music is still to my life. It helps me unwind after a hard day's work, destress on my train/bus ride home. Been reliving my Lamb Fear of Fours album. This is B-Line, check out the crazy video and Lullaby. Ahhhhhh....music is the savior of my soul!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt1Ef_ai_C4

I've been revisiting PJ Harvey (again) lately.

Though Let England Shake, her latest universally-acclaimed release, didn't do much for me at first, I have really warmed up to it. Her vocal may be more girly and less full-throttle feral than usually, but the images she conjure on her lyrics remain powerful. The Last Living Rose is my personal highlight from the new album:

Just started my full-time job and realised how important music is still to my life. It helps me unwind after a hard day's work, destress on my train/bus ride home. Been reliving my Lamb Fear of Fours album. This is B-Line, check out the crazy video and Lullaby. Ahhhhhh....music is the savior of my soul!!!

As if the music isn't already creepy enough, lol. The video is, indeed, fvcked up... in a good way.

It's interesting how people find new music. Here's a relatively unknown band whose music was a closing credit for some movie I watched about half a year ago. Totally striked me, so I memorized the lyrics and Googled them as soon as I arrived back to my room.

Civil Twilight sounds like Bono singing Radiohead music with the theatricality of Muse (complete with the endearing falsetto that both Thom Yorke and Matthew Bellamy excel really well). It's a shame the band never made it big.

Civil Twilight sounds like Bono singing Radiohead music with the theatricality of Muse (complete with the endearing falsetto that both Thom Yorke and Matthew Bellamy excel really well). It's a shame the band never made it big.

You are right, he does really sound like Bono! Speaking of Brit sounds, here is one of my favourite bands from the UK, Broadcast. They used to sound a lot like Ladytron. Trying to download their latest album from 2009 now. Just read in Wikipedia that their lead singer died from pneumonia earlier this year. RIP Trish Keenan. Check them out!

And Lorenna M's Mystic's Dream at the end of Jade.

I have heard many good things about Lorenna, but have often overlooked her because I'm not that much into Celtic music. I have always thought of that genre as beautiful emptiness with more style than substance (think Enya, who I like and all, but whose music simply doesn't teleport me to a higher spiritual level). However, that recommendation you posted clearly shows that Lorenna has the capacity of pulling such haunting beauty. Thanks for sharing.

==============================

Still on the subject of soundtrack, Sucker Punch is simply amazing.

I was holding my breath in the cinema whenever the songs kick in, works all the better because a cinema has superb sound system. Until today, I like to put on a headphone and blast the soundtrack in loud volume. The soundtrack features a lot of alternative and psychedelic tracks, and at least two of these tracks manage to beat the originals.

The remix for Army of Me is not so much of a remix than a re-recording; it retains the general arrangement of the original, but it has been made more explosive, more corrosive. On top of that, Bjork has decided that a ferocious and angst-filled delivery works better than the cold robotic monotony she displayed on the original track.

Then there's Beatles' Tomorrow Never Knows, re-sung by Carla Azar. I have never liked the original, which was supposed to be groundbreaking and jaw-dropping given the limits of what the studio can do in the 1960s. But ironically, the song is still only as good as the limit of the studio itself; color me nuts, but it sounds dated. Technology has rendered this achievement less relevant, and what the song needed is an updated rendition. Sucker Punch brought a song production that fits best with the 2011 generation, and for the first time in my life, the song clicks with me. Plus, put within the context of a crazy-ass movie that constantly flirts with the protagonist's altered state of mind, everything about this song just makes sense.

Edited by derryfawne

Still on the Sucker Punch soundtrack, another huge favorite of mine is a cover of Eurythmics' Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This), which cannot match the original if only because Annie Lennox's aggressive phrasing, androgynous tone, and those beautiful moans in-between verses are impossible to be replicated, much less defeated.

Knowing this, Emily Browning avoided all comparisons, recording her cover as a Beth Gibbons-styled lullaby instead. Smart move. It doesn't beat the original, of course, but it brings a different kind of charm into the song; and above all, it fits better to the context of the movie than the original synth arrangement would have.

Excellent choices of classics, tasteful re-constructions, obviously best soundtrack of the year in my book.

Edited by derryfawne

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.