Male HQ

Everything on Swimming Lessons - either looking for Coach/Instructor, or looking for Clients (compiled)

ctglobal

• 4 weeks later...

and preferable u have a very "zai" breastroke or good understanding of breaststroke (almost competitive)   / good flexibility... (coz butterfly n breast are short axis strokes)

generally ok freestyle

before u can do a decent fly... else is caterpillar dying in the water

On 4/27/2017 at 2:34 AM, Samezuka said:

It is a timing stroke, and once you get the hang of the pattern it is easy to execute. However it takes a lot of core strength if you want to cover a distance. Are you able to do dolphin kick?

Sorta can do dolphin kick, but not for very long tbh.  probably do need to work on the core a bit, but i thought training for the stroke would help... orrrr... not?

3 hours ago, tinkero said:

and preferable u have a very "zai" breastroke or good understanding of breaststroke (almost competitive)   / good flexibility... (coz butterfly n breast are short axis strokes)

generally ok freestyle

before u can do a decent fly... else is caterpillar dying in the water

I'm ok with breast stroke and freestyle.  just not sure where to go from there.  all the online tutorials seem a bit weird to follow, and not to mention, how exactly does one easily follow a youtube video when they're in a pool?

Do you guys both know fly already?

On 2017/5/24 at 3:23 PM, ctglobal said:

Sorta can do dolphin kick, but not for very long tbh.  probably do need to work on the core a bit, but i thought training for the stroke would help... orrrr... not?

I'm ok with breast stroke and freestyle.  just not sure where to go from there.  all the online tutorials seem a bit weird to follow, and not to mention, how exactly does one easily follow a youtube video when they're in a pool?

Do you guys both know fly already?

Yeah I know butterfly but its not my forte. Sprinting short distance wise i prefer to use breaststroke, and freestyle for long distance in open water like Tanjong beach.

What i found useful for learning butterfly is the technical understanding of the stroke. I was doing lots of drills for butterfly, but i could not link the drills together and swim the stroke. It was only after my coach overseas explained on the theory of timing, kicks etc then I could link them all up and swim it. Just my personal experience.

2 hours ago, Samezuka said:

Yeah I know butterfly but its not my forte. Sprinting short distance wise i prefer to use breaststroke, and freestyle for long distance in open water like Tanjong beach.

What i found useful for learning butterfly is the technical understanding of the stroke. I was doing lots of drills for butterfly, but i could not link the drills together and swim the stroke. It was only after my coach overseas explained on the theory of timing, kicks etc then I could link them all up and swim it. Just my personal experience.

pity your coach isnt in SG :(

wow...so many swim experts here...personally I only attend classes for breaststroke in my secondary school and all the other 3 strokes learn by myself through trial and error....I start doing my fly in the children pool because of the depth of the water, it seem easier for me to practice the kicking and only when my kick is powerful enough, then I proceed to try out at the adult pool to do laps.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, Upandown said:

I wanted to learn free style too. Always get chocked from getting airchange :(

think of your body as a line (mouth and belly button should align). turn this line sideways as you pull, you should comfortably clear the water. If the line is broken you sink/choke as there is not enough clearance. To maintain the line, have the other arm out infront of you acting like an anchor as you turn sideways, when done correctly, it gives you the go-faster feeling in the water.

weniger aber besser

1 hour ago, fabianc said:

haha! that happened to me a lot at the start, cause I always favoured breathing on my left side.

Yea I need more practice. Wna practice tgthr?

57 minutes ago, euphony said:

think of your body as a line (mouth and belly button should align). turn this line sideways as you pull, you should comfortably clear the water. If the line is broken you sink/choke as there is not enough clearance. To maintain the line, have the other arm out infront of you acting like an anchor as you turn sideways, when done correctly, it gives you the go-faster feeling in the water.

Thanks for the tips. I need to practice more :)

On 12/31/2017 at 6:32 PM, Btmbtm1069 said:

Need people guide me butterfly. Any?

1: master the body dolphins (this will take the longest, undulations start from the chest NOT knees).

2: get the rhythm of kicking to pull (not the other way round).

3: take note not to clear the head too high out of the water.

4: reinforce this by doing 1 arm flys, and put everything together routinely (you can't learn butterfly by doing full stroke laps - too tiring).

a small relaxed fly demo here (not Schooling level mind you).

Edited by euphony

weniger aber besser

Guest Almost Drowned By Ex

My ex once decided to teach me how to swim because he, a water polo player, thought I must be an idiot to have not learned properly in school. But he was not able to successfully teach me either. His impromptu lessons did provide, however, a perfect excuse to put his hands all over my body at the public pool as he tried to keep me afloat. Anyway that was probably the beginning of the end of our relationship and he didn't even leave behind a nice memory of me successfully learning to swim from him. I'm hopeless.

22 hours ago, euphony said:

1: master the body dolphins (this will take the longest, undulations start from the chest NOT knees).

2: get the rhythm of kicking to pull (not the other way round).

3: take note not to clear the head too high out of the water.

4: reinforce this by doing 1 arm flys, and put everything together routinely (you can't learn butterfly by doing full stroke laps - too tiring).

a small relaxed fly demo here (not Schooling level mind you).

Wow. Is that u? Anyway i think need to get someone teach me better..

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Samezuka said:

I can swim all 4 strokes but excel only in Fr and Br, and occasionally do open water swimming. Am happy to join and share if the group materializes. There was a similar thread sometime ago, and it stopped at the discussion stage here in BW.

teach pls senpai

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • kalel changed the title to Everything on Swimming Lessons - either looking for Coach/Instructor, or looking for Clients (compiled)
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.